Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

When I was in living in Dublin I was careful to check that bins were included in the rent... However after a few weeks of the bins not being lifted we discovered there was also a charge of €8 per collection!
    By this stage we had a nice pile of rubbish bags in the shed. It was going to cost us students so much that we decided to keep using the shed for rubbish and hire a skip when we moved out.
    A skip was going to cost even more so we ended up scorching the grass trying to burn all letters and then flytipping the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

When I was in living in Dublin I was careful to check that bins were included in the rent... However after a few weeks of the bins not being lifted we discovered there was also a charge of €8 per collection!
    By this stage we had a nice pile of rubbish bags in the shed. It was going to cost us students so much that we decided to keep using the shed for rubbish and hire a skip when we moved out.
    A skip was going to cost even more so we ended up scorching the grass trying to burn all letters and then flytipping the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

You're confusing being stingy with being a scumbag.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You're confusing being stingy with being a scumbag.
    Leaving the landlord to sort it out would have been much worse!
    We left it all on council ground so it would be lifted quickly.

Trying to make excuses to ease a guilty conscience? :pac:

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Trying to make excuses to ease a guilty conscience? :pac:
    I do feel guilty about it. That's why i posted it here.
    The story was about how trying to be stingy caused more problems than it solved. In that last week we would have happily paid double the amount to have the rubbish gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

While in a freinds house over the weekend I noticed she had a pile of crumpled Xmas wrapping paper sitting in her kitchen, I asked her why was it there and she said she was gonna reuse it to wrap Christmas presents - all I could do was laugh.
    Wrapping paper is €2, I told her this and she said she know but this wrapping paper(crumpled used one) is the good quality one from M&S.

Going to buy her some wrapping paper after work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭jacool

Guy in our workplace – everyday, brings in the cup, the tea bag and the spoon.
    Gets hot water to brew his tea and milk from the machine.
    Saves 25c each time.
    Imagine my surprise when I see him in the actual food queue on a Friday morning (Fry day too actually)!
    He gets 2 sausages and puts them on his plate.
    Does his usual routine with the tea bag.
    I follow him to the till where he hands over the 60c for “Just the 2 sausages, tea’s my own.”
    He gets to a bench in there, and before he sits down, puts his hand in his pocket and pulls out a plastic bag with 2 pieces of pre-buttered bread from his house!
    I kid you not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    While in a freinds house over the weekend I noticed she had a pile of crumpled Xmas wrapping paper sitting in her kitchen, I asked her why was it there and she said she was gonna reuse it to wrap Christmas presents - all I could do was laugh.
    Wrapping paper is €2, I told her this and she said she know but this wrapping paper(crumpled used one) is the good quality one from M&S.

That is not stingy. That's common practical sense, recycling something that there is nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Thats what my mam does :P But only if there is no tears or creases in the paper

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    That is not stingy. That's common practical sense, recycling something that there is nothing wrong with it.
    Jijsaw wrote: »
    Thats what my mam does :P But only if there is no tears or creases in the paper

Seriously :confused: :eek:

I'd be embarrassed for the person, if I bought them a present and a year later I receive a present from them wrapped in the same wrapping paper I had used the previous year...

Or if someone handed me a gift wrapped worn crumpled wrapping paper :eek:

For the sake of my dignity, I'd rather spend a couple of euro on new paper!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why would you be embarrassed :confused: It's only decorated paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Seriously :confused: :eek:

I'd be embarrassed for the person, if I bought them a present and a year later I receive a present from them wrapped in the same wrapping paper I had used the previous year...

Or if someone handed me a gift wrapped worn crumpled wrapping paper :eek:

For the sake of my dignity, I'd rather spend a couple of euro on new paper!!

I wouldn't be able to tell you what paper i used last year, I certainly wouldn't be able to recognise it (particularly if it was wrapped around a present I was excitedly opening...).

It's recycling and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DramaQuee

Like good economy. Hate stinginess.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why would you be embarrassed :confused: It's only decorated paper.

exactly - it's only paper... Paper that costs at most €2. You can actually buy 3 rolls for €2 in the euro shop ;)

It looks cheap to hand over a gift wrapped in crumpled used wrapping paper.

The forum is "stingy people" forum and IMO anyone that wont go out and spend a couple of euro on wrapping paper but instead will use used wrapping paper is stingy !!!

I find it hard enough to make the gift look decent with NEW wrapping paper, it tears and crinkles, few times I have to start all over!!!

The recycling centre takes the old paper and old cards ;) We're way past Blue Peter days, home made gifts and reused paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It looks cheap to hand over a gift wrapped in crumpled used wrapping paper.

You think it looks "cheap" to use an Americanism - 'mean' is what we call it here. I think it looks ecological. It may be only €2 in price, but those are trees that are being farmed for paper, stripping the natural environment. If it saves a few trees, that's good.

One year I wrapped all my prezzies in newspaper, and wrote on them graffitti-style with a large felt-tip marker. Looked good imho and was environmentally sound too.

What's the point in tearing paper off, binning it, and buying more - only for the same process to happen again? You're on your own here SunnyDub1. oops no, DramaQuee is with you.
    DramaQuee wrote: »
    We're way past Blue Peter days, home made gifts and reused paper.

What's wrong with making gifts? I've made jam and chutneys for presents. People will give me the jars back if they're not going to re-use them themselves. I don't want the usual tat for presents. If I wanted it, I'd buy it myself - the stuff I'm given is generally round in the charity shop the first day they re-open after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Seeing people not throw a €5 or a €10 or more to the sick kids. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056825180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Seeing people not throw a €5 or a €10 or more to the sick kids. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056825180

total and utter emotional blackmail - and it worked, donation sent. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

total and utter emotional blackmail - and it worked, donation sent. :p

Fair play :D Be sure and stick your pledge on that thread so we can add it to the tally and shower you with thanks, you non stingy person you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I hate mean people.

The really, really mean kind who always missed their round even before the R word was mentioned. The kind who always sit on their hands when the charity box went around the office.

My favourite was a friend of a friends Dad who had two TVs on top of each other. Because one had no sound and the other had no picture :pac:

So whats the worst you've ever heard?

That's a lie, because it's Karl Pilkington's Uncle that did that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y1lXZnrVm4I#t=380s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

My hero!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Gotham wrote: »

you'd be surprised how many people actually do/done that
    my granda does it as well :pac: although his tvs are quite old

You think it looks "cheap" to use an Americanism - 'mean' is what we call it here. I think it looks ecological. It may be only €2 in price, but those are trees that are being farmed for paper, stripping the natural environment. If it saves a few trees, that's good.

One year I wrapped all my prezzies in newspaper, and wrote on them graffitti-style with a large felt-tip marker. Looked good imho and was environmentally sound too.

What's the point in tearing paper off, binning it, and buying more - only for the same process to happen again? You're on your own here SunnyDub1. oops no, DramaQuee is with you.

What's wrong with making gifts? I've made jam and chutneys for presents. People will give me the jars back if they're not going to re-use them themselves. I don't want the usual tat for presents. If I wanted it, I'd buy it myself - the stuff I'm given is generally round in the charity shop the first day they re-open after Christmas.
    In fairness, the saving the environment argument falls down when you think of the amount of newspapers which are printed every day and then thrown in the bin. There is no need for newspapers considering all the online sites, radio and tv stations where you can catch up on the news without harming any trees. Christmas only happens once a year and the amount of wrapping paper used will only make up a small percentage of annual paper production :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

jacool wrote: »
    Guy in our workplace – everyday, brings in the cup, the tea bag and the spoon.
    Gets hot water to brew his tea and milk from the machine.
    Saves 25c each time.
    Imagine my surprise when I see him in the actual food queue on a Friday morning (Fry day too actually)!
    He gets 2 sausages and puts them on his plate.
    Does his usual routine with the tea bag.
    I follow him to the till where he hands over the 60c for “Just the 2 sausages, tea’s my own.”
    He gets to a bench in there, and before he sits down, puts his hand in his pocket and pulls out a plastic bag with 2 pieces of pre-buttered bread from his house!
    I kid you not.
    Man brings own lunch to work. What exactly is stingy about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Oh how considerate of you !

Ahem, I don't buy tat, so much for your generalisation. I've found donation type presents, e.g. buying a goat for an African family, that type of present very good. When I buy an actual present to be wrapped though, it is something the person wants, I go to the trouble of finding out. Perhaps 'the stuff' you receive which does not suit you, is due to lack of communication. There's something wrong, and you show some no small meanness of spirit to be ungrateful enough to call it tat when someone has thought of you at all. Those people care about you. You come across very self righteous and you're definitely unnecessarily angry.

No, I don't like home made presents at all. That's MY opinion. I like a nice envelope if it's a donation card thing, and nice packaging, aesthetically pleasing on a gift. But I've had it up to the tonsils with drawings, homemade things etc from when my children were young. My attic is full of that. I want grown up things now and you can keep your condescension to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

that clip is from 2012 and the op's is from jan 2009.

Op wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Frynge wrote: »
    that clip is from 2012 and the op's is from jan 2009.

Op wins.

The podcasts were recorded and aired between 2005 and 2008.
    http://www.pilkipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=The_Ricky_Gervais_Show

It was only in 2010 that the cartoon versions were made and shown on channel 4, and thusly the video I linked was uploaded in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

The podcasts were recorded and aired between 2005 and 2008.
    http://www.pilkipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=The_Ricky_Gervais_Show

It was only in 2010 that the cartoon versions were made and shown on channel 4, and thusly the video I linked was uploaded in 2012.

I am wrong so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement