Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭md23040

Years ago a neighbour who was a well-paid naval engineer (in Plymouth) rented VWGolf for the weekend. He switched every conceivable part with his ownbanjaxxed VW Golf before returning it on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

md23040 wrote: »
    Years ago a neighbour who was a well-paid naval engineer (in Plymouth) rented VWGolf for the weekend. He switched every conceivable part with his ownbanjaxxed VW Golf before returning it on Monday.

Pure genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

That is awesome..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Someone told a similar story before in Motors. Some fella would rent the same car as his own, or one with the same tyre profile for a day and swap the new tyres over to his own when they were worn down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Brilliant!! I love it. He has to be of Irish descent....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I knew a girl once and if she got a ladder in her tights she would cut off the leg with the ladder and put with a good leg off another pair. So she ended up wearing two top parts of the tights and one good leg from each pair of tights!!!

so one side was like a stocking minus the elasticated top - how did they stay up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I heard in the pub the other day that a certain member of the traveling community round my way rang the local scrap yard and ordered 2 skips, which they were to fill with metal. The skips are then returned and weighed and you get paid by the weight of the skip.

The same person then ordered another skip and then proceeded to cut the first 2 skips into pieces and threw them in the third skip and topped it off with other metals and sold it back to the scrap yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Originally Posted by Blonde Cena
    I knew a girl once and if she got a ladder in her tights she would cut off the leg with the ladder and put with a good leg off another pair. So she ended up wearing two top parts of the tights and one good leg from each pair of tights!!!
    Katgurl wrote: »
    so one side was like a stocking minus the elasticated top - how did they stay up?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SuloBulo

When I was in my 20's stayed in a friends house after our night out (she was living at home with her parents).

Next morning we got up - and she said that she had to go shop that there was no bread / milk / tea. We walked to local shop... when she was paying for the items, she turned to me and said that will be X (half of cost).

I just stared at her, and she said again... "your half is X". We went home had our breakfast and I went home - she didn't pack up my half of the bread, milk, tea for me to take home *L*. At the time it was something like 3.00. But it was just a very strange odd experience. I felt like giving her an invoice for B&B next time she stayed over at mine!... *L*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Rumour has it in a place I used to work that an employee came in on Sundays when he was off, order 4 subsidised dinners from the canteen, wrapped them in foil and took them home for the family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The canteen, where I work, is free to staff.
    Every Sunday the staff working weekends (generally a skeleton crew in production) get a steak dinner.

Everyone's cards still work at weekends, even if they are not working. The only place that is fully staffed at wekends is the tourist operation.
    It turned out, however, that not only did the tourist service staff come for their free steak dinner but dozens of the staff that were not working too. They made their way into work, for the free dinner, then went home.

Ruined it for everyone there. Now only the production staff get the steak and the tourist site get chicken and spuds, even if they are working the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

When i lived in Melbourne a lad from Nottingham moved into the share house i was staying.. he was off the back of 6 months backpacking Asia... he bragged that when in India he used to queue in the charity kitchens for the free dinner most days.. i mean a dinner wouldnt be any more than a couple of quid, leave the free stuff for the homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I don't know if you'd consider this mean or cute. In my poverty stricken student days I shared a flat with 3 other blokes. We used throw about 30 pounds a month each into a kitty for the basics. As I was home first I generally did the shopping and cooking. There was no bother when the kitty was fresh but, as the month went on, more and more jingle got into the kitty and less notes so I used to have to go to about 5 different shops buying milk with loose change in one, bread in another, bogroll in a third and so on. It was mortifying but you do what you have to do to make the money stretch.

One day I mentioned to one of my flatmates that I had about £25 in 2 pence pieces in a bag under my bed (a pint was 96p!!!). Your man looked at me like I was a simpleton and said: "Jesus, thats stupid, whenever I get a pound together in change I just change it in the kitty."

The same fcuker, when it was his round one night, gave me back the pint of Smithwicks I'd bought him. I was drinking Guinness at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I don't know if you'd consider this mean or cute. In my poverty stricken student days I shared a flat with 3 other blokes. We used throw about 30 pounds a month each into a kitty for the basics. As I was home first I generally did the shopping and cooking. There was no bother when the kitty was fresh but, as the month went on, more and more jingle got into the kitty and less notes so I used to have to go to about 5 different shops buying milk with loose change in one, bread in another, bogroll in a third and so on. It was mortifying but you do what you have to do to make the money stretch.

One day I mentioned to one of my flatmates that I had about £25 in 2 pence pieces in a bag under my bed (a pint was 96p!!!). Your man looked at me like I was a simpleton and said: "Jesus, thats stupid, whenever I get a pound together in change I just change it in the kitty."

The same fcuker, when it was his round one night, gave me back the pint of Smithwicks I'd bought him. I was drinking Guinness at the time.

Neither mean nor cute?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wadefuq wrote: »
    he bragged that when in India he used to queue in the charity kitchens for the free dinner most days.. i mean a dinner wouldnt be any more than a couple of quid, leave the free stuff for the homeless
    how much did he think they spend on ingredients for charity diners in India ?

How much does a local eatery charge for food over there - might be a couple of quid in the tourist places.

I knew someone who got amoebic dysentery there so on a risk vs. reward basis that is mega stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Driving home today, torrential rain, and we saw someone walking with a huge umbrella. On closer inspection, it was clear that they'd nicked an umbrella from a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

G.K. wrote: »
    Driving home today, torrential rain, and we saw someone walking with a huge umbrella. On closer inspection, it was clear that they'd nicked an umbrella from a pub.

how so?

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭saspeir

The canteen, where I work, is free to staff.
    Every Sunday the staff working weekends (generally a skeleton crew in production) get a steak dinner.

Everyone's cards still work at weekends, even if they are not working. The only place that is fully staffed at wekends is the tourist operation.
    It turned out, however, that not only did the tourist service staff come for their free steak dinner but dozens of the staff that were not working too. They made their way into work, for the free dinner, then went home.

Ruined it for everyone there. Now only the production staff get the steak and the tourist site get chicken and spuds, even if they are working the weekend

The Guinness canteen is brill for good dinners! It was the foreigners that used to do that... Spanish, French and Polish... Don't blame them as food was class. The canteen and the pool were my favourite times of my working day there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Martyn1989 wrote: »

how so?

I'm guessing it was one of these type umbrellas.

http://www.drinkstuff.com/productimg/55483_large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

cloneslad wrote: »
    I'm guessing it was one of these type umbrellas.

http://www.drinkstuff.com/productimg/55483_large.jpg

Ah, that wasn't obvious.

There made of cloth, wouldn't be much good if you were going any reasonable distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Motivator wrote: »
    A lad that comes into our local will come in on a Saturday night around 10.15 every week to watch Match Of The Day. He comes in & orders a pint of Lucozade then he heads upstairs to the toilets to fill the glass up with the Vodka he has stashed up in the roof tiles. He buys a litre of vodka out of Aldi every couple of weeks then stores it up in the roof tiles in the pub. He is hated by everyone but we laugh away at him because he's the meanest bastard ever. He lands himself at the bar & watches the tv for the night, drifting upstairs every half an hour to top himself up. If there's new people sitting at the bar he latches on to them to try & score a free drink. The man is unreal he is the meanest I've ever seen.

Hang about..thats where i store my urine samples:eek: so thats where its been going:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

This happened a couple of years ago in 3rd class, every girl was starting to wear makeup and all that and my friend "Mary" and I were having none of it, preferring to play with stuffed animals. Anyways we were always saying how we were never interested in makeup (I still am'int 6 years later) my other friend "Alice" was the vain type who knew how much we didn't like/want makeup I even said socks would be grand. So it was Kris Kindle and of course she buys me makeup, I say thank you of course and she replies "I know you don't like makeup so can I have it instead?" I still have that unused eye shadow pallet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

This happened a couple of years ago in 3rd class, every girl was starting to wear makeup and all that and my friend "Mary" and I were having none of it, preferring to play with stuffed animals. Anyways we were always saying how we were never interested in makeup (I still am'int 6 years later) my other friend "Alice" was the vain type who knew how much we didn't like/want makeup I even said socks would be grand. So it was Kris Kindle and of course she buys me makeup, I say thank you of course and she replies "I know you don't like makeup so can I have it instead?" I still have that unused eye shadow pallet

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bowlofcherries

Maybe not stingy more student survival.
    Back in college in waterford, a myself and a few friends would do the same thing every Thursday night. Get together at someones apartment, knock back a few drinks (nothing new here) then head down to Muldoons for about 10.15, free in. buy a drink then head up to the club upstairs Oxygen free before 11, stay there for about half an hour, head out the back, get our stamp and go across the road to Rubys. we'd pay the €8 to get in there and we'd go between the two depending on where everyone else was or wherever was the best craic. 2 clubs for the price of one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Maybe not stingy more student survival.
    Back in college in waterford, a myself and a few friends would do the same thing every Thursday night. Get together at someones apartment, knock back a few drinks (nothing new here) then head down to Muldoons for about 10.15, free in. buy a drink then head up to the club upstairs Oxygen free before 11, stay there for about half an hour, head out the back, get our stamp and go across the road to Rubys. we'd pay the €8 to get in there and we'd go between the two depending on where everyone else was or wherever was the best craic. 2 clubs for the price of one!
    Head it on, not stingy nor survival:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

wadefuq wrote: »
    he bragged that when in India he used to queue in the charity kitchens for the free dinner most days..

That is actually sickening. To scam a free meal in a third world country where so many people live in appalling conditions.....

If you know what you're doing a decent meal in India will only cost you a few cents. Even if you don't know what you're doing, you can get a reasonable meal for less then 2 Euro.

One of the best meals of my life was a three course meal we had in the fanciest restaurant in town. "Town" being a ramshackle collection of buildings next to some 'holy' waterfall and "fanciest" meaning they had chairs. To be fair they a couple of asthmatic rusty old creaking fans that moved the heat around a bit as well, and the only other place to eat was a cart where some woman was selling dubious looking meat. The meal was gorgeous though and cost us less than a euro per head. It probably helped that we had a trainee monk with us who spoke the local dialect, but even in the rip off tourist places meals were dirt cheap.

That story reminds me of an english chap I met in India. He might have been a complete scam artist, but the impression I got was he was on a gap year with no money. He'd had a big argument with his dad, who had said he couldn't take a gap year because he had no money, so he hopped a plane to India, and seemed to expect that at some point his dad would send him money. A week later I was going home and he had borrowed money off three different tourists, had tried to borrow money off me and owed some Indian guy money too, who may or may not have been a loan shark. The only reason I don't think he was a scam artist was he seemed so pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Today I seen a family of four split a muffin in four

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Today I seen a family of four split a muffin in four

Maybe they were trying to fool you into thinking they were stingy, you know bluffin with their muffin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

'Tis the season to be stingy.

Looking forward to lots of Xmas themed stinge stories. :D

At Xmas time in the US, it is common for large stores to offer free Xmas gift wrapping (of stuff bought in the store) in exchange for a donation to a charity. The store donates/provides the gift wrapping & volunteers from certain charities come in and will gift wrap your store bought gifts for you.

The system is not rigidly policed, but roughly how it works is that you show your receipt to the gift wrapper, you put a few bob into a jar, and he/she wraps your store bought gifts, in beautifully artistic parcels and bundles that are far more beautiful and creative than you could ever do & with very fancy paper and bows and ribbons that most people would never buy themselves.

It's good PR for the store. They get people in doing their shopping there to save them the hassle of wrapping their stuff themselves. It doesn't cost them a lot in materials as HQ buy them in bulk and just ship them out to the stores as needed. Win win for everybody, right? Not so much !

A friend of mine runs a large book/music/stationary store there. It's a bit like Easons, only its a once off independent shop & not a chain. Was talking to her today about how her Xmas season is going so far at work. She told me that they have had to stop doing the free gift wrapping as to many people were abusing it and coming in with all kinds of stuff to be wrapped...X Boxes, clothes, toiletry sets etc etc, that were clearly not bought in the store. It was costing them a fortune in gift wrap, as they didn't have it supplied for cents on the dollar by HQ.

She said that the straw that broke the camels back was a woman coming in with a golf bag. She had the nerve to bring the bag AND a complete set of golf clubs into a book shop, each one that she wanted wrapped up individually, without contributing a penny to the donations jar. I mean who the fook has the nerve to do that ? She threw a strop when my friend politely pointed out to her that the free gift wrapping was only for store bought items, and asked to speak to the manager, not knowing that my friend was the manager. That takes both stinginess & hardneckery to a whole new level imo ! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Double post. Humble apologies !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement