Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

DramaQuee wrote: »
    You obviously haven't had a really meaningful special card, from a special person ;)

Alas...
    snubbleste wrote: »
    :) Here you go :o

Why thank you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DramaQuee

What about people giving personal cheques to a cause or charity, but it's really 100% the money from a public collection or whip around that the person was asked to bring to the meeting? (The cheque writer did not add anything to the total of the whip-around but got their name in the benefactor's list, and plenty of thanks)

Would that get the stinge seal of approval?

More stinge please

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What about people giving personal cheques to a cause or charity, but it's really 100% the money from a public collection or whip around that the person was asked to bring to the meeting? (The cheque writer did not add anything to the total of the whip-around but got their name in the benefactor's list, and plenty of thanks)

More stinge please

That makes someone a cnut TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

I have and they still get the bin

I am not into keeping every card I get. My father wrote a card for me for my birthday when I was twenty-one. He died just one week later from Leukaemia. That card is precious and is put up every year with my other birthday cards.
    The card is like gold and I wouldn't or couldn't part with it ever.

The stingiest thing I ever saw was
    My cousin gave me a thank you gift once, wrapped in shiny red paper.

A free sample of face cream from the Pharmacy. I think she was trying to give me a hint but it was a stingy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Stingiest thing i've ever seen was Christmas 2008.

My Da took €100 cash out of my Mum's Christmas present from my great aunt (intended to buy
    a Christmas Turkey & Ham) to subsidise a meal he had paid for earlier in the week. Despite winning
    over €22k that very same day.

*which he later spent on a new car for himself.

Ebenezer would have been a better name for him.

Lovely one Dublin Stiofan, I think that must make Christmas No. 1. You must be proud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Stingiest thing i've ever seen was Christmas 2008.

My Da took €100 cash out of my Mum's Christmas present from my great aunt (intended to buy
    a Christmas Turkey & Ham) to subsidise a meal he had paid for earlier in the week. Despite winning
    over €22k that very same day.

*which he later spent on a new car for himself.

Ebenezer would have been a better name for him.

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=ebenezer+scrooge&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=653&tbm=isch&tbnid=IpQvkeU7ckmbdM:&imgrefurl=http://www.rollonfriday.com/TheNews/EuropeNews/tabid/58/Id/1070/fromTab/58/Default.aspx&docid=71tj-iHI9OdYjM&imgurl=http://www.rollonfriday.com/Portals/0/images/ebenezer-scrooge.jpg&w=512&h=463&ei=UVHQUMyrK4SSswaVkoC4Cw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=12&vpy=304&dur=346&hovh=147&hovw=174&tx=119&ty=71&sig=114998029033052757136&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=167&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:166

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

People that post Google Image links as images should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

People that post Google Image links as images should be banned.

I dont know how to do it any other way :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ronan45 wrote: »
    I dont know how to do it any other way :o

Open the image itself and take the address from there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Long time since a great stinge story. Looking back at the original few the thread has dropped in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

People getting stingy on the stingy-stories !!

Giving a child 50 cents and telling him not to spend it all at once. A fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I have a friend who, for kris kringle, gave my other friend an open box of quality street and a half a naggin of vodka. Her excuse was that she didn't have enough time to shop for anything, even though we done the kris kringle draw 2 weeks in advance. We only had a budget of 10 euro anyway so it wouldn't have broken the bank for her to get something decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

id have been happy enough with the quality street and half a naggin over a 10euro cheapy gift in fairness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

retalivity wrote: »
    id have been happy enough with the quality street and half a naggin over a 10euro cheapy gift in fairness..

Well I got a full shoulder of vodka so I wasn't complaining :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I heard of someone who washes and dries paper towels and then reuses them ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I heard of someone who washes and dries paper towels and then reuses them ....

Wtf. That's weird not stingy

Reminds me of about 50 holey knee high nylon things drying on the front bar on the Aga of....a very well off lady, (needless to say).
    How could anyone not get gangrene wearing holey nylons on their feet? But to launder and dry them???

Anyone any REAL juicy stinge for Chrimbo?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did they claim back the tax on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Did they claim back the tax on it ?

When stinge becomes fraud.

Had a relative who used to take everyone's receipts when the family got together for dinner somewhere. Was filing them as 'entertaining clients'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Anyone any REAL juicy stinge for Chrimbo?

I got your back !

My niece (nearly 30, PhD, fablis job, earns oodles of money) lives with her 2 best friends. Every year since she moved out of the family home, she arrives back at her mammies house with her Xmas pressies, and uses her mammies stash of wrapping paper, bows, labels, selotape, gift bags etc etc to wrap her own Xmas pressies in. God forbid she buy her own like. :confused:

She also helps herself to her parents stash of Xmas cards & stamps and sends them out from just herself !. She is far too cheap to buy her own, but she loves to bask in the glory and praise that she gets from her elderly relations who constantly whine and moan that the younger generation just don't pay attention to the social niceties such as sending out Xmas cards anymore. My niece does do this, but on her parents dime naturally. :rolleyes:

Her mammy is fairly frugal herself, but not stingy. After Xmas, she'll buy loads of plain silver and gold wrapping paper and gift bags at 90% off in the sales, that can be used all throughout the year regardless of the occasion....Xmas, birthday, wedding, christening, the stuff she gets in is good for everything. When she lived at home, her stingy brat of a child moaned incessantly that her mother never had paper or cards or gift bags in the house that specifically said "Happy Birthday" or "Congrats on Your New Baby", "Congrats on Getting Married" etc etc. She would moan constantly that she had no choice but to use her mams wrapping paraphernalia that was non event specific. If you would suggest to her, that she'd go out and actually ya know, buy her own crap, she'd probably drop dead from heart failure. Stingy cow ! :mad:

She is a good kid overall. She never gave her parents a moments worry, ever. She was the first grandchild on both sides of the family & was an only child for quite some time. She was spoiled rotten & showered with stuff from the day that she was born by everyone around her....parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles etc etc, myself included. I've often wondered if that has contributed to her outrageous sense of entitlement. Getting stuff for nothing is a habit that has become so deeply engrained her its impossible to break 30 years on. I sometimes wonder if that is the cause of her stingyness & we (the enablers) are to blame, both with her and other stingy cnuts out there in general. Oh well.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

didnt read the last few pages so....... did anyone mention the fg/lab budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Fella in my office who's known to be fairly tight. A few months ago there was a girl doing some charity event, think it was a ladies mini marathon, and a sponsorship card was sent round the office. People were donating and he put €5 down on it and gave her the money. About 30 minutes later another card went round from a different girl doing the same event. He put €2.50 down on the second card, went back to the first girl and told her to change the doncation on her card and give the second girl €2.50 out of his fiver.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

ProudDub you just reminded me of this with your wrapping paper story :D

A few times at Christmas (not recently), the family would have all exchanged presents and opened them except for my brother. He would still have his pressies for us stashed in his room. Then he will carefully gather some wrapping paper from our just-opened presents, disappear upstairs with scissors and sellotape and come back with our presents wrapped in the recycled paper. I'm not sure if it was stinge or just disorganisation - he always buys nice presents and he doesn't live at home any more so he has to wrap them now before he gets to the parents house (unless he's really stuck :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I got your back !

My niece (nearly 30, PhD, fablis job, earns oodles of money) lives with her 2 best friends. Every year since she moved out of the family home, she arrives back at her mammies house with her Xmas pressies, and uses her mammies stash of wrapping paper, bows, labels, selotape, gift bags etc etc to wrap her own Xmas pressies in. God forbid she buy her own like. :confused:

She also helps herself to her parents stash of Xmas cards & stamps and sends them out from just herself !. She is far too cheap to buy her own, but she loves to bask in the glory and praise that she gets from her elderly relations who constantly whine and moan that the younger generation just don't pay attention to the social niceties such as sending out Xmas cards anymore. My niece does do this, but on her parents dime naturally. :rolleyes:

Her mammy is fairly frugal herself, but not stingy. After Xmas, she'll buy loads of plain silver and gold wrapping paper and gift bags at 90% off in the sales, that can be used all throughout the year regardless of the occasion....Xmas, birthday, wedding, christening, the stuff she gets in is good for everything. When she lived at home, her stingy brat of a child moaned incessantly that her mother never had paper or cards or gift bags in the house that specifically said "Happy Birthday" or "Congrats on Your New Baby", "Congrats on Getting Married" etc etc. She would moan constantly that she had no choice but to use her mams wrapping paraphernalia that was non event specific. If you would suggest to her, that she'd go out and actually ya know, buy her own crap, she'd probably drop dead from heart failure. Stingy cow ! :mad:

She is a good kid overall. She never gave her parents a moments worry, ever. She was the first grandchild on both sides of the family & was an only child for quite some time. She was spoiled rotten & showered with stuff from the day that she was born by everyone around her....parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles etc etc, myself included. I've often wondered if that has contributed to her outrageous sense of entitlement. Getting stuff for nothing is a habit that has become so deeply engrained her its impossible to break 30 years on. I sometimes wonder if that is the cause of her stingyness & we (the enablers) are to blame, both with her and other stingy cnuts out there in general. Oh well.....:o

None of that is too bad? Looks like a bit of jealousy;)

hefferboi wrote: »
    None of that is too bad? Looks like a bit of jealousy;)

@er, or you're not. When you're really not, you hate stinge, you feel your stomach turn at freeloading or people taking advantage. Especially if the person has already had everything handed to them, you think, well why not give something back. If that girl has a good job, she shouldn't come over to scrounge ANYthing. MY thinking (and I'm definitely a NON stinge) is that she could easily buy a few handfulls of paper, giftbags etc, for herself AND extra for her mum who likes to have some kept by. What would you be talking about? 20 euros or so altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

As we were downsizing a few years ago, our receptionist left and she wasn't re-hired so the main phone would be diverted to other staff by rota leaving reception unattended for long periods of time. Nevertheless there was a Christmas tree put up in reception. One day I walked through reception to find one of our salesmen stealing decorations off the tree and shoving them into his bag. In the past, he'd been caught stealing milk and kitchen paper. The fecker had more money than the rest of us put together!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

cantdecide wrote: »
    As we were downsizing a few years ago, our receptionist left and she wasn't re-hired so the main phone would be diverted to other staff by rota leaving reception unattended for long periods of time. Nevertheless there was a Christmas tree put up in reception. One day I walked through reception to find one of our salesmen stealing decorations off the tree and shoving them into his bag. In the past, he'd been caught stealing milk and kitchen paper. The fecker had more money than the rest of us put together!!

he was borrowing :D id say he gave them back after christmas :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement