Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU legislation will allow authorities search your PC remotly without a warrent.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Microsoft and third party software may be forced to allow authorities gain access through spyware blocking programmes.

Doesn't make a difference. If you encrypt anything you're scared of the evil bad guys seeing, they won't be seeing it anytime in your life if its done properly. No matter how many computers they use.

Got evidence that they'll be using spiders to "spy" on people?

And if some "strict totaliterian government" takes over, they can just implement it themselves and it would not have made a difference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Police and state intelligence agencies from several countries may soon be working together to secretly hack into private citizens' personal computers without their knowledge and without a warrant.

According to a London Times report, the police hacking process, called "remote searching," enables law enforcement to gather information from e-mails, instant messages and Web browsers, even while hundreds of miles away.

A new edict by the European Union's council of ministers in Brussels has paved the way for international law enforcement agencies to begin remote searching and sharing the information with each other.

According to the Times, the United Kingdom's Home Office, the nation's lead government department for immigration, drugs and counter-terrorism enforcement, has already quietly adopted a plan that would enable French, German and other European Union police forces to request remote searching be done on UK citizens' computers.

This is as intrusive as someone busting down your hall door and coming into your home.

This just gives us siome insight to the type of envasive totalitarian control we can expect from the EU and all this is before the European Constitution gets ratified.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5439604.ece

this is gona work the same as someone getting a search warrent and comming along and taking your pc. so no big change it just means the cops wont have to get off their asses.

i dont mind. ive covered my tracks. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

To make it more difficult for terrorists and criminals to communicate.
    If someone uses strong encryption, then they might get special attention.

Your right though, serious criminals probably already use advanced encryption. Assuming the security services don't have some secret quantum computer to break all existing encryption methods already.
    Which wouldn't exactly surprise me.... look at Colusus in World War II, it broke the German enigma codes and was probably 20-30 years ahead of its time.

Sure people think todays encyption is safe.... it's only safe today because current computers would take hundreds of years to crack the codes by brute force.
    In 10 years time they will easily be broken.
    So, if the security services were patient, they could store all encrypted messages they intercept until such time as they could break them.

You'll have to wait until NTL roll out a quantum encryption network for home users for decent privacy !

What fcuking terrorists? The ones they created themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Doesn't make a difference. If you encrypt anything you're scared of the evil bad guys seeing, they won't be seeing it anytime in your life if its done properly. No matter how many computers they use.
    The authorities will have state of the art software that could decrypt anything. The safest thing one could do is have an external HDD for your MP3s etc or keep a seperate PCs for brousing.

The authorities will have state of the art software that could decrypt anything. The safest thing one could do is have an external HDD for your MP3s etc or keep a seperate PCs for brousing.

No, they really don't.

• Advertisement

If you make your password "'cat" yes they will get it, it would take the worlds fast computer millions of years to crack a 256bit encrypted password.

And image manipulation isn't encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I just went, 'oh another Run_to_da_hills thread' without looking at the poster. Typically its an alarmist title that presents you with a situation looming on the horizon like a big hairy snowball coming towards you..

Seagulls being trained by Roma to steal iPhones in Dublin etc.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=204

and heres a source for you.

Edit: Just to add, this a very optimistic source. Moores law isn't really holding as far as I know anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

if you don' anything worth investigating they can get warrent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Well technically a warrant gives the police access to your personal life. The article clearly says it will be only used in cases where someone is strongly suspected of illegal behaviour, and no this isn't going to get you sued for downloading the latest album.

And since some of you think they'll spy on everyone in the world at the same time, its simply not possible.

And no, they can't break the all encryption. If you use 256bit encryption that is not just loads of words put together then it would take decades to be cracked.

I wasn't referring to illegal downloading or anything like that, its the basic rights of privacy and innocence until proven guilty along with the fact that warrants aren't going to be needed.

Already almost everything you do on the net and phone is kept track of and can be accessed without warrants, so now its "we'll just keep this information on you just on the chance you might do something wrong in the future" that's just wrong.

As I said there already have been abuses of information kept on people.

All these steps add up to a basic human right being slowly taken away and it concerns me that people don't see that.

gerky wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to illegal downloading or anything like that, its the basic rights of privacy and innocence until proven guilty along with the fact that warrants aren't going to be needed.

Already almost everything you do on the net and phone is kept track of and can be accessed without warrants, so now its "we'll just keep this information on you just on the chance you might do something wrong in the future" that's just wrong.

As I said there already have been abuses of information kept on people.

All these steps add up to a basic human right being slowly taken away and it concerns me that people don't see that.
    It does not state they're watching you an tracking what you do all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

It does not state they're watching you an tracking what you do all the time.

There has been legislation in place for some time that covers this, here's links to previous threads that cover it.
    I'm logging out now so night all.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055415464

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055260235

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055246193

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭adamb92

"Alternatively, police could park outside a suspect’s home and hack into his or her hard drive using the wireless network."

What if we have wired broadband?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think some people are being too glib with what is potentially quite a big deal. This is overstepping their mark by a longshot. Tell me what crime could potentially be worth giving up my basic right to privacy? The biggest joke is that we're no longer getting a say in this sh*t anymore. It's like patriotact.eu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

If you were a peeping tom Kold then you'd have to give up your right to privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

sukikettle wrote: »
    If you were a peeping tom Kold then you'd have to give up your right to privacy

What?

Kold wrote: »
    I think some people are being too glib with what is potentially quite a big deal. This is overstepping their mark by a longshot. Tell me what crime could potentially be worth giving up my basic right to privacy? The biggest joke is that we're no longer getting a say in this sh*t anymore. It's like patriotact.eu.
    There is an expression "Put a beggar on horseback and he’ll ride to hell". This is precicely how the EU authorities are getting away with robbing us of our civil liberties day by day all in the name of fighting this so called "war on terror".

Another reason why I don't want their fuc*ing constitution.

gerky wrote: »
    There has been legislation in place for some time that covers this, here's links to previous threads that cover it.
    I'm logging out now so night all.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055415464

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055260235

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055246193

So, the same as almost every develoepd country? And that doesn't relate to the EUs legislation

So, the same as almost every develoepd country? And that doesn't relate to the EUs legislation
    That is because it is all apart of this up and coming "New World Order", Ie totalitarian control and one day it will be all linked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,916 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

noblestee wrote: »
    Im not a paedophile, an internet fraudster, an identity thief or a terrorist. So unless you are, who cares?

"Sir, if we cast a wide net and start looking into thousands of email accounts theres a 0.07% chance we will find the d00d"

"hmm ok. God mode turn on"

Understand people, this is the European equivalent of the surveillance clauses in the USA_PATRIOT act right here. Except not even under the veil of terrorism: They will be doing this to catch all manner of criminal activity, which means your email will be intercepted on a daily basis. Next will come the unwarranted wiretapping if it hasnt already.

I really dont like the way the world is turning. Doing away with warrants and Due Process.

Of course if anyone resists they will be branded rebels, terrorists or traitors, and the position of institutions like the EU will only get stronger from it. How long do we have before we have no way of stopping them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Does anyone else think it would be wise to wait for more info before passing comment here? The Times article is about Britain's implementation of this mysterious "Brussels edict", and as we know the UK are mad into their draconian laws. Ireland, not so much.

I hate when the media don't give you the necessary reference points. Do the Times have a Euroskeptic agenda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jan_kowalski

This news is another rubbish...:P
    Even if this gets accepted from the law point of view, how are they going to implement all those computer searches from technical point of view?

It's not technically viable to do so.
    Not to write essay here, but how do they think they gonna break all IT security? Breaking OS itself, Anti-viruses, firewalls, etc?

How much time, cost, specialized staff and training would it require?

It would be much quicker and better just to call up to suspect's house and whack his door and take computer away if they have to, than messing around this way. Nonsense for me.

Does anyone else think it would be wise to wait for more info before passing comment here? The Times article is about Britain's implementation of this mysterious "Brussels edict", and as we know the UK are mad into their draconian laws. Ireland, not so much.

I hate when the media don't give you the necessary reference points. Do the Times have a Euroskeptic agenda?
    I would put the UK as the NWO guinea, the rest of the EU including Ireland are quick enough to follow. This can be noticed with erosion of civil liberties through RFID technology, registered transit smart cards, (Not compulsory as yet) CCTV, MCS digital Gatsos, ANPR cams, electronic toll plazas, Congestion charges, eavesdropping our phones, Internet, and of course the rolling out of a microchipped National ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I would put the UK as the NWO guineypig

That's because you're batshit loco and desperate for attention.

That's because you're batshit loco and desperate for attention.
    It makes more sense than your p***o bear bats*t logo, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Do your or your kids have any unauthorized downloads? Mp3s, movies or material from torrent sites? A French proposal last year sought an internet ban for up to six months on individuals caught wilh illegal material on their PC.
    I've highlighted the important words there.
    This was most likely sought by someone with a vested interest in the industry.
    The Authorities will set up "search robots" just like a Google search engine that will track PC's that are downloading unauthorized material. They can then hack into the HDD of any offending PC and use is as evidence in a prosecution. None of this can be fully effective until the EU enforces registered administration access which i can see is only around the corner.
    Prove it.

May be not now, but if some strict totalitarian ruling power takes over and passes some zero tolerance legislation on crime the door is wide open. At one time one could be deported to Australia for swiping a loaf of bread. Yes they can, the authorities will use automated search robots that will automatically sus out offenders and subsequently spit out email warnings, to those that persist doors will be kicked in. Serious revenue is lost through illegal downloading and it all adds up.
    Microsoft and third party security software may be forced to allow authorities gain access through spyware blocking programmes.
    More scaremongering.
    I'm really beginning to believe you are a member of libertas.
    I've no proof of that, but lack of proof doesn't stop you.

Newsflash: Thhey can still come into your house.
    Get into the bunker.

There is an expression "Put a beggar on horseback and he’ll ride to hell". This is precicely how the EU authorities are getting away with robbing us of our civil liberties day by day all in the name of fighting this so called "war on terror".

Another reason why I don't want their fuc*ing constitution.
    Libertas.

That is because it is all apart of this up and coming "New World Order", Ie totalitarian control and one day it will be all linked up.
    Oogeddy boogeddy.

And here we have what is a conspiracy theory thread and should have been moved there right away. Unfortunately it had reached two pages before I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Run_to_da_hills, After Hours is not Conspiracy Theories.
    You cannot seem to help yourself, so let us help you: Create another thread that's even the remotest bit in After Hours and you're banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement