Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU legislation will allow authorities search your PC remotly without a warrent.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Would you let the authorities into your house and rummage through your filing cabinet and personal belongings including letters etc without a warrent?

Yes.
    I've nothing to hide.
    Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Im glad some people have no issue with this, thats great.

What if you have a 14 yo daughter - you are quite happy for some middle aged men to trace through her emails and check her browsing history then so?
    Well good for you, thats great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Stekelly wrote: »
    If anything they'd probably just find some stuff for you that you thought you'd lost.

Actually I did mislay my plans to overthrow the government, and my documents with solid proof of the existence of the NWO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

What if you have a 14 yo daughter - you are quite happy for some middle aged men to trace through her emails and check her browsing history then so?
    Well good for you, thats great.

:rolleyes: I would assume, if I had a 14 yo daughter, that she would be looking at bebo or chatting on MSN, wheres the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yes.
    I've nothing to hide.
    Do you?

I'm starting to think he does. I remember one of his threads was complaing that they were putting a limit on moving large amounts of undeclared money across borders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I think that is the reason that its been set up. To protect the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

witness Gordon Brown shutting down Icelandic banks using anti-terrorist legislation of all things, or anti-terrorist legislation being used by county councils to see who's trying to get their kids into schools in different boroughs .

got any links to these incidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

According to a London Times report, the police hacking process, called "remote searching," enables law enforcement to gather information from e-mails, instant messages and Web browsers, even while hundreds of miles away.

UK "security services" have been allowed to intercept e-mail since 2000. Linky

Sure weren't they scanning all phones, faxes and e-mails on Ireland for years during the troubles ? Can't find the link, but fairly sure it was well documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Yes.
    I've nothing to hide.
    Do you?

I am honestly at a loss to understand this :confused: All I can think of is that you have full faith that the state is 100% benevolent and that it will remain forever so?

I have nothing to hide either, but I need just look at repressive states around the world and even experiences in Donegal to see that this is wishful thinking and as far as I'm concerned this would be a step too far.

I also think that it's completely and utterly futile as any serious criminals will of course be well aware of it and simply go offline, use encryption, vpn, etc etc. Which begs the question, what ultimately is the point ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I know you're trying to phrase this in a super sinister way; young girl, middle aged man, THE INTERNET, but really what exactly would you see as the problem here?

• Advertisement

Sure weren't they scanning all phones, faxes and e-mails on Ireland for years during the troubles ? Can't find the link, but fairly sure it was well documented.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember a few instances where they were monitoring IRA mobile phone calls. Wouold have been in the 088 days. Not GSM, the previous one.

They also monitored British roayls and leaked information about prince Charles wanting to be a tampon. That may have been the press though. My memory is hazy.

At the end of the day, if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about.

Abusing bittorrent? Me? Let them come and get me.
    I'll go back to blank tapes if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

Yes.
    I've nothing to hide.
    Do you?

Every person in the world has a right to privacy. Whether they are hiding something or not, this right is being denied.

I am honestly at a loss to understand this :confused: All I can think of is that you have full faith that the state is 100% benevolent and that it will remain forever so?

I have nothing to hide either, but I need just look at repressive states around the world and even experiences in Donegal to see that this is wishful thinking and as far as I'm concerned this would be a step too far.

I also think that it's completely and utterly futile as any serious criminals will of course be well aware of it and simply go offline, use encryption, vpn, etc etc. Which begs the question, what ultimately is the point ?
    The point?
    The creation of more IT jobs of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yep, GCHQ in Cheltenham had access to all ROI phones - and still do, I believe.

To make it more difficult for terrorists and criminals to communicate.
    If someone uses strong encryption, then they might get special attention.

Your right though, serious criminals probably already use advanced encryption. Assuming the security services don't have some secret quantum computer to break all existing encryption methods already.
    Which wouldn't exactly surprise me.... look at Colusus in World War II, it broke the German enigma codes and was probably 20-30 years ahead of its time.

Sure people think todays encyption is safe.... it's only safe today because current computers would take hundreds of years to crack the codes by brute force.
    In 10 years time they will easily be broken.
    So, if the security services were patient, they could store all encrypted messages they intercept until such time as they could break them.

You'll have to wait until NTL roll out a quantum encryption network for home users for decent privacy !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wow, id love some high flying security or secret service agent to have a cool file on me with a big TOP SECRET spread across the top of it in red ink. That would be cool.

although id imagine my file will probably look something more like this:

Subject: IRL-4,564,123
    Result: Spends far to much time on boards.ie
    Threat level: Swears alot

faceman wrote: »
    Wow, id love some high flying security or secret service agent to have a cool file on me with a big TOP SECRET spread across the top of it in red ink.

There's an idea... make a few red coloured TOP SECRET folders and leave them on the trains and buses for people to find :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I kinda agree with RTDH on this one (there's a first) - this kind of action should definetely require a warrant, the procedure should be exactly the same as getting a warant to search a house etc.

How are they going to do this though? Do the police in the UK have some kind of super secret hacker training college? Cause as far as I am aware, it's actually pretty dificult to do something like this.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

A new edict by the European Union's council of ministers in Brussels has paved the way for international law enforcement agencies to begin remote searching and sharing the information with each other.

Any chance of a link to the "edict" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Actually, you'd be suprised at how many people were caught by using their mobile friend to call another person to plan such and such a thing

• Advertisement

I know you're trying to phrase this in a super sinister way; young girl, middle aged man, THE INTERNET, but really what exactly would you see as the problem here?

I dont know, maybe the possibility to identify the whereabouts of a teenage daughter based on her chats with friends online, being available to unknowns or crooked coppers - might start ringing alarm bells in your head no?

Wreck wrote: »
    How are they going to do this though? Do the police in the UK have some kind of super secret hacker training college? Cause as far as I am aware, it's actually pretty dificult to do something like this.

There's plenty of conspiracy theories that certain governments forced communication companies to give them access, so they can intercept all communications.

In which case, they're scanning through all the communications between you and any internet machine ( e-mail server, DNS server, internet proxy server ).

Also, if I wanted to intercept all HTTPS encrypted traffic I'd demand all the private certificates from the internet certificate providers which would let me read most of the traffic in a "man in the middle" attack.

Hacking an individual PC... who knows, they could have backdoors for Microsoft software. There's plenty of conspiracy theories out there on what they could do.

The easiest way is probably to park a conspicuous white van with blacked out windows outside your house and try hacking into your wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Wreck wrote: »
    I kinda agree with RTDH on this one (there's a first) - this kind of action should definetely require a warrant, the procedure should be exactly the same as getting a warant to search a house etc.

I read about it in an article. There are pretty much only 2 ways they will do this:
    1) Park outside your house and access your computer through the wireless network
    2) Send you an e-mail with a virus attachment. Once you download it, it will give them access to your computer.

I also sort of agree with RTDH on this...too far a step IMO. I have nothing to hide but that still doesn't give anyone any permission to search through my stuff. That's pretty much your privacy thrown out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

There's plenty of conspiracy theories that certain governments forced communication companies to give them access, so they can intercept all communications.

In which case, they're scanning through all the communications between you and any internet machine ( e-mail server, DNS server, internet proxy server ).

Also, if I wanted to intercept all HTTPS encrypted traffic I'd demand all the private certificates from the internet certificate providers which would let me read most of the traffic in a "man in the middle" attack.

Well that's how I would have thought they would do it, by going to the ISP and tracking things that way, but this article is talking about them remotely accessing hard drives.
    Hacking an individual PC... who knows, they could have backdoors for Microsoft software. There's plenty of conspiracy theories out there on what they could do.

The easiest way is probably to park a conspicuous white van with blacked out windows outside your house and try hacking into your wireless router.

If there are backdoors in Microsoft software, I'm pretty sure criminal hackers would be using them way before police forces ever got a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I dont know, maybe the possibility to identify the whereabouts of a teenage daughter based on her chats with friends online, being available to unknowns or crooked coppers - might start ringing alarm bells in your head no?

Oh, right. It's rampant scaremongering time.
    Excellent.

Firstly, why is this 'teenage daughter' so important? Why should her privacy be more sacred than anyone elses? Either you make the point that it encroaches everybodies privacy and we should be worried about that, or nothing.
    Fuck this tabloid bullshit.

Second, why are you hellbent on making the connection between law enforcement officers and paedophiles and rapists. It's cheap, nasty and insulting to anyone who's able to think.

basically what you've posted is just a variant on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

There are A LOT of other ways of doing this that do not involve any human interaction on your side.

An encryption can be broken if you have enough processing power and time, but normal it does not need that much because people use weak passwords and normally reused then over and over again.

The right to privacy is something that EVERY human is entitled, this is another slip down a VERY slippery slope and will be hard if not impossible to recover from very soon.
    I read about it in an article. There are pretty much only 2 ways they will do this:
    1) Park outside your house and access your computer through the wireless network
    2) Send you an e-mail with a virus attachment. Once you download it, it will give them access to your computer.

I also sort of agree with RTDH on this...too far a step IMO. I have nothing to hide but that still doesn't give anyone any permission to search through my stuff. That's pretty much your privacy thrown out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm surprised and dismayed that so many people don't seem to give a sh*t about their right to privacy.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

cornbb wrote: »
    I'm surprised and dismayed that so many people don't seem to give a sh*t about their right to privacy.

If it really happens then attitudes will change but its a laugh atm looking at the posts some people are coming out with. It is AH after all!

Oh, right. It's rampant scaremongering time.
    Excellent.

Firstly, why is this 'teenage daughter' so important? Why should her privacy be more sacred than anyone elses? Either you make the point that it encroaches everybodies privacy and we should be worried about that, or nothing.
    Fuck this tabloid bullshit.

Second, why are you hellbent on making the connection between law enforcement officers and paedophiles and rapists. It's cheap, nasty and insulting to anyone who's able to think.

basically what you've posted is just a variant on this.

Absolute bollox, the scenario I offered was by way of example - call it tabloid if you may but the reality is that such an individuals privacy is at risk here, be they 14 or 84.

Moving onto your 2nd observation, there are unscruplous people out there in every profession, and do I hope your ability to think affords you this.

Unfortunately your propensity to think does not go sufficiently far enought to see that your right to privacy is being eroded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yes.
    I've nothing to hide.
    Do you?
    Do your or your kids have any unauthorized downloads? Mp3s, movies or material from torrent sites? A French proposal last year sought an internet ban for up to six months on individuals caught wilh illegal material on their PC.

The Authorities will set up "search robots" just like a Google search engine that will track PC's that are downloading unauthorized material. They can then hack into the HDD of any offending PC and use is as evidence in a prosecution. None of this can be fully effective until the EU enforces registered administration access which i can see is only around the corner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement