Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the TV license inspector ever paid you a visit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

In my first month of college an inspector came to the house we're renting and asked us if we had a tv licence. We told him that the tv wasn't ours and that we don't watch tv. Our land lord then bought a licence for us but the tv has been in the closet since his visit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hilarious story in Bandit Country about some poor bastid being sent into south Armagh after the IRA's ceasefire in 1994 looking for tv licences...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Had a call from an inspector when I bought my house first, I had a tv brought in but hadnt gotten round to set it up as my dad and I were putting the floors in at the time. I told him I'd get one as soon as I set it up and the git told me I was required to have one once there was a tv on the premises. Git!I just closed the door.

Had notice then after that as it was only a new estate with random houses sold once someone seen a light on every tom,dick and harry was calling selling services, this that, charity workers, window cleaners, raffle tickets, gaa clubs. Eventually got pissed off and got blinds on the windows, let family know if they are calling to phone in advance cos I dont answer the door for no-one. If they havent called its not important. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The moral of the story is not to buy one unless you are asked. When asked, say that you have only moved in recently and presume the landlord has it covered. Then when they write to you, buy one then.

Why should we have to pay for TV license when there is adverts on RTÉ? They are taking bloody liberties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Haven't bought one in years. I'm in rented accommodation so when/if I ever buy a house I'll get one.

I real needy to stop answering the door in the evenings as it's usually some charity or something else I don't want. I like this suggestion of not answering unless you're expecting someone.
    I've even meet hired goons private debt collectors as the last tenants owe hundreds to UPC, Eircom. But the collectors work for some hire purchase company from some electrical retail chain. Debt worth arond 1.5k. It's getting to harassment at this stage as they demand my name at the door, they aren't baliffs or anyone offical

Inspector called at the start of December and I truthfully gave my name. Have gotten 3 letters since. I know they won't stop so I'll get one next month, after my salary comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

first time he called we told him we'd just moved in. second time he called he asked my name, i gave him the name from the uncollected post of the last tenant. several letters arrived. third time he called, dozy b1tch i was house sharing with gave him my name. then i moved out.

next house i was in, a new licence arrived in the post for us! apparently previous tenant had renewed but forgotten to update her address!!

bought new house last april, will not buy licence until i absolutely have to, once they have me on the database theres no getting out of it. will probably try the fake name thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The only person you are obliged to give your name to is a cop if he/she is standing at your door. As for the rest simply slam the door, as far as you are concerned they are trespassing on your property.
    I wouldnt even bother answering the door, if I am not expecting a package and have not received a phone call no-one of importance to me is looking for me. The only people that have my consented permission to cross my front boundary are the esb meter guy and the postman.
    As for the rest, the lights are on, I am home but i aint wasting my energy to get up and tell you I aint interested in signing up to this to help that, feed him or home them. When I want to do my bit for people I will in my time and not be pressured into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Had a close call once, I was just leaving the flat and he asked if could see my TV license, just said "Sorry, I'm on my way out" and walked off:p
    Got a license after that anyway, but didn't bother renewing it this year... my new flat was set up so that that they couldn't possibly know if I had a tv without going inside, and they have no rights whatsoever to enter the premises... (imo anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Just tell them you don't speak English because you're from Barbados

The official language of Barbados is English!

In answer to the original question, we got caught without a licence once. We just got one and heard no more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Richard wrote: »
    The official language of Barbados is English!

You've obviously not seen the current ad that RTE run on this subject, I think the joke was lost on you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i got a visit i was caught out, its due again next month tbh i wont be paying this time end of story.

im living in rented property when i buy my own house i MIGHT get one.

if they come knocking again im going to tell them i dont have one, i dont even watch the ****n thing i play the xbox on it the odd time, they can smell my helmet if they think there getting 160euro off me in 09
    It doesn't matter if you only play xbox on it, if you have a device that's capable of receiving a telegraphic signal you have to pay the license. Apparently you even have to pay if your tv is broken but repairable

Also, if you keep refusing to pay it'll probably a large inmate called butch who's smelling your helmet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Would a PC monitor or other display screen be covered that can receive nothing on its own without a Sky Box or tuner box for DTT freesat etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Would a PC monitor or other display screen be covered that can receive nothing on its own without a Sky Box or tuner box for DTT freesat etc?

I think they changed the law here to include anything that can be used to receive a TV signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

In Dublin, he called around a few times, we just hid in the back. Got caught here last year though. We dont answer the door here as anyone we know walks in to the house, but I was expecting someone and answered the door. I just said I had just moved in (Which I had) and showed him the lease. I asked for directions to the PO to try give the impression that I wasnt from Kilkenny. He was sound and gave me 4 weeks to buy one. Saying that...I havent renewed it as I really cant afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Yup.. a few months after we moved into the current house (new estate) we got a call. We'd had a license from the old house, still had it on us, just got it transferred to the new address. Never heard from them since. They definitely have a database and only hit addresses with no license showing against them, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

how much is the licence neways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 celtic lady

Licence is €160. I have litterly only moved in. Boxes in hallway and he called by. Gave me 10 weeks to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Only €160 a year - that's a bargain when you consider the quality of programmes on the 2 rte channels. Some show on tonight with someone who used to be in a pop band telling other "wannabes" what he thought of their acting/singing/dancing etc. Absolute muck of the highest order - and even though we aren't forced to watch it we are forced to pay for it!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

No ****ing way.... No one has called yet

I learnt that it's per tv, we have two in the gaff that means 320 per year-NO WAY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 celtic lady

newmills wrote: »
    Only €160 a year - that's a bargain when you consider the quality of programmes on the 2 rte channels. Some show on tonight with someone who used to be in a pop band telling other "wannabes" what he thought of their acting/singing/dancing etc. Absolute muck of the highest order - and even though we aren't forced to watch it we are forced to pay for it!!:mad:

Yes my sentiments exactly. They were trying to extend it to computers also. As we are able to view programmes on them.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

wow thats expensive!

Is it a common thing for all countrys to have one? or just ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Get a cheap cctv camera fitted outside your house then when someone comes to the door you can see who it is on your tele!! If it's the tv licence bloke then don't answer the door!! That's irony for you right there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

newmills wrote: »
    Get a cheap cctv camera fitted outside your house then when someone comes to the door you can see who it is on your tele!! If it's the tv licence bloke then don't answer the door!! That's irony for you right there!!
    You probably have to pay for the CCTV... It's a TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    You probably have to pay for the CCTV... It's a TV!

No you just have to pay for a cheap camera which you can link up to your 42inch plasma in the corner. Sure you can sit in peace knowing that when the doorbell rings, you press AV on the remote, look at Mr TV Inspector standing there in the cold, and then return to watching Kilnascully or whatever other fine RTE program that is on!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

hmm this cctv jazz sounds like a plan! ;)
    though asked the current landlord would we need to get one, and he laughed, said seriously doubt it as nobody has come by in 7 years (when the place was built) so i aint bothering. and even if someone does call, there aint a chance im rushing out to buy one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I rented in various houses & areas from 1994 - 2005.

Inspector often called around, just gave them a fake name, mine was Joe O'Toole.
    Once they had a name they began posting warning/reminders/draft summonses to this fictitious person.
    This takes about 6 months before Joe O'Toole gets another visit where you tell the same inspector that he moved out 3 months ago, say hello to Derek Shanahan.

Bought a house in 2005, wife bought a TV Licence about a month later.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

MIN2511 wrote: »
    No ****ing way.... No one has called yet

I learnt that it's per tv, we have two in the gaff that means 320 per year-NO WAY!

Its one per household.

Advertisement