Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Deedsie wrote: »
    I also have Nivea facial scrub and moisturiser.

Is there anything else I need? I don't have a shaving bowl. They seem pretty expensive. What's the cheapest bowl you would get?

And finally does anyone have a beginners shaving procedure from start to finish.

Shower, wash face, apply lather shave in short strokes etc?

I'd only use the scrub once a month or so. You don't need a shaving bowl - a cereal bowl of large coffee cup will do fine. For instructions see mantic59 and his video series on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

......or Tesco own brand which I find pretty good

Bought some of these the other week as I was out of everything else and that's all they had. I find them awful, without doubt the worse I've used. I can't put my finger on it but there's just something about them that's not comfortable, particularly on the top lip and I'm leaving myself with little nicks everywhere.

Incidentally, I see 4men.ie have Urth shave cream and Proraso after shave balm for €5 which is not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Bought some of these the other week as I was out of everything else and that's all they had. I find them awful, without doubt the worse I've used. I can't put my finger on it but there's just something about them that's not comfortable, particularly on the top lip and I'm leaving myself with little nicks everywhere.

Incidentally, I see 4men.ie have Urth shave cream and Proraso after shave balm for €5 which is not bad at all.

Cheers for the heads up on that. I've been wanting to try it for a while. And because shipping was free I picked up a second :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ok guys, I have purchased/intend to purchase the following items:

1x Merkur 34C 'HD'
    1x Lea shaving stick

3x Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum
    2x Feather (New Hi-Stainless) (Platinum)
    3x Super Platinum (ASR Personna)

I ordered a black HJM Pure Badger brush

I also ordered Taylor Avocado shaving cream.
    I also have Nivea facial scrub and moisturiser.

Is there anything else I need? I don't have a shaving bowl. They seem pretty expensive. What's the cheapest bowl you would get?

And finally does anyone have a beginners shaving procedure from start to finish.

Shower, wash face, apply lather shave in short strokes etc?

Seems like a good selection there. Presumably you're getting 3 packs and not 3 blades of the Gillette 7's etc.. ? that's quite a few blades!

You don't really need a shaving bowl. You could use a large coffee mug or even one of those almost bowl like coffee mugs.

As far as beginners shaving proceedure I would recommend you watch as many of Mantic59's youtube videos as possible. They are very informative. Start with the introduction videos and then go through.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Master Yoda

I too ordered my first DE pack:

Merkur Progress
    50 Blade sampler pack
    Taylor of old bond street Sandalwood
    Proraso pre/post shave cream
    Proraso Shaving cream
    Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap and Dish
    Alum Block
    Stypting Pencil
    1 pack Gillette 7 O Clock Sharp Edge DE Blades and
    1 pack Blue Bird Double Edge Blades which arent in the sampler pack.

From the local DM i bought a HJM badget brush with stand for 8 EUR, when I have more money I will probably spring for a Silvertip.

I got shaving cream and soap becouse I want to see which is better for my face.

I hope that i didn't forget anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Master Yoda

I received my Progress today and have a little problem: i almost cant turn the knob its extremely hard - do I have to oil it or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

I received my Progress today and have a little problem: i almost cant turn the knob its extremely hard - do I have to oil it or something ?

Make sure you have it lined up properly, the blue arrow/triangle should be under the blue line. There's a picture here on this thread showing you how it should look. I'll try and find it.

It was in the Shaving.ie thread. Here it is: here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The threads may not be sitting correctly, it's happened me a few times. What I found best was to hold the head upside down and lower the handle into it, once it's sitting on the screw turn the knob as if you're loosening it, when you feel the threads "click" (best way I can describe it) turn the knob to tighten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jayzee

I bought a starter shaving kit 6 months ago witha Merkur razor and a variety of blades. I am currently usign Feather blades whioch are generally good.
    I love the wet shave and while it feels like a closer shave at the time, ultimately it does not last as long as a cheap BIC razor.
    I'm not planning on changing from the double edged razor as I enjoy the shave , just a comment.
    Has anyone else had this experience? Any recommendations for a longer lasting shave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

jayzee wrote: »
    I bought a starter shaving kit 6 months ago with a Merkur razor and a variety of blades. I am currently using Feather blades which are generally good.
    I love the wet shave and while it feels like a closer shave at the time, ultimately it does not last as long as a cheap BIC razor.
    I'm not planning on changing from the double edged razor as I enjoy the shave , just a comment.
    Has anyone else had this experience? Any recommendations for a longer lasting shave?

The reason I switched from Mach3 to a double edged was that my face was getting destroyed.

Maybe the BIC does give a closer shave but not only might it take off more hair but also a thin layer of skin which is definitely not wanted.

The most obvious thing I can think of is that you could adjust the angle of the blade to your skin to get a closer shave. I'm not an expert but that should help. Do a google or look at mantic59's youtube videos for tips on the angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What's the deal with safety razors and long beard growth, do you need to trim down first or can you just hack away? I ordered the basic starter kit off shaving.ie, I lost the power lead for my electric shaver and I'm assuming the single razor won't clog up like the disposable one do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You can hack away, bear in mind your intention with the first pass isn't to remove everything in one go.. Do a 'casual pass', without going over bare skin again and again, then assess your face for your second pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It arrived this morning before your post so I did indeed hack away, not a bother on it I haven't felt anything as smooth, even the best Gillette on a 5 o'clock shadow didn't feel as easy as the safety razor chopping through near 3 month beard growth.

I'm glad I finally made the step up to safety razors, within 5 strokes of the blade I was converted there's no comparison with disposable multi blades, they're only fools of things.

Lather probably wasn't perfect but I'll get the hang of that.

I only tidied up my beard neck and cheeks but even my beard looks better next to the shave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cakes

Xmas is approaching [too fast] and I'm just wondering if this is a good starter kit combo to get for someone who has always wanted to try the safety razors?

Two Of A Kind DE Blade Sample Pack
    Muhle Modern Best Badger Clear Acrylic Shaving Brush
    Muhle R89 Classic Razor

Also thinking of getting this
    Modern Chrome Razor and Brush Stand

And wondering what's a good shaving soap to get for someone with slightly ...temperamental... skin?

Was looking at Muhle Aloe Vera Shaving Soap and Wooden Dish but haven't found much about them? Also the Mitchells Wool Fat one seems to be popular?

Have sourced a lot of this through shaving.ie but would also love to hear about any other good sites/shops? (Living in Ireland)

Would really appreciate any advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

You have researched this well! The R89 is a great choice for a starter razor. The brush has an excellent grade of hair for its price point with nice soft tips.

Mitchell's soap is a better choice but you could also consider Taylor's Jermyn Street shave cream or Proraso Sensitive which may be easier for a beginner to work into a lather and should be ok for sensitive skin.

This stand is probably a better option but is a little more expensive. I think the other stand may not work with that brush.

I'm sure there will be plenty more advice to follow but you seem to have everything very well figured out so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Long thread, ha?? ;) Very useful and informative though....

I'm thinking of changing to safety razors from disposable Gillettes. Problem is I have very sensitive skin (can't shave two days in a row, three I suffer!). I haven't got a thick beard, nor does it grow fast. At the moment I am shaving with Total Shaving Solution oil only and find it very nice, plus I like the smell. Is it a must to use lather/soap with safety razors or can I use the oil only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

inigo wrote: »

I'm thinking of changing to safety razors from disposable Gillettes. Problem is I have very sensitive skin (can't shave two days in a row, three I suffer!). I haven't got a thick beard, nor does it grow fast. At the moment I am shaving with Total Shaving Solution oil only and find it very nice, plus I like the smell. Is it a must to use lather/soap with safety razors or can I use the oil only?

You can use oil no problem, but for best results use a cream and brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cakes

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    You have researched this well! The R89 is a great choice for a starter razor. The brush has an excellent grade of hair for its price point with nice soft tips.

Mitchell's soap is a better choice but you could also consider Taylor's Jermyn Street shave cream or Proraso Sensitive which may be easier for a beginner to work into a lather and should be ok for sensitive skin.

This stand is probably a better option but is a little more expensive. I think the other stand may not work with that brush.

I'm sure there will be plenty more advice to follow but you seem to have everything very well figured out so far.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Received everything a couple of weeks ago, was delighted with the stand you recommended and also the free shipping on orders over €100 :D

Will be amazed if the bf isn't over the moon with it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

inigo wrote: »

I have pretty sensitive skin and even with a safety razor while it massively reduced red marks and spots I still used to get them on my neck, after alot of trial and error I tried http://www.shaving.ie/products/Mitchells-Wool-Fat-Shaving-Soap-Refill.html

I've not looked back since :)

I honestly can't recommend it enough

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cakes wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Received everything a couple of weeks ago, was delighted with the stand you recommended and also the free shipping on orders over €100 :D

Will be amazed if the bf isn't over the moon with it!

Just reading through your post, you put alot of good research into the gift so I hope he's trilled with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Cabaal wrote: »
    I honestly can't recommend it enough
    Seconded. Mine is lasting forever, but I'll definitely be getting another when I eventually use it up.

Proraso pre-shave cream, Mitchells, and Speick aftershave balms. Winning combination for me.

Just wondering have you tried the Proraso Pre-shave cream as a post shave? If it's the one I'm thinking off I've read that it can be used for both but can't imagine the texture being the nicest for that!

I'm nearly out off Taylors shaving cream, can anyone recommend a decent scent they have, I loved the almond but wasn't gone in the lemon & lime?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Gillo wrote: »
    Just wondering have you tried the Proraso Pre-shave cream as a post shave? If it's the one I'm thinking off I've read that it can be used for both but can't imagine the texture being the nicest for that!
    I've tried it as a post-shave cream, didn't like it at all.

Can just imagine a real sticky feeling after using it, still the menthol super cool feeling would be great for the first minute or so

I decided to give safety razors a go, too. Placed my order for the Merkur Progress, blades and styptic pencil this morning with Connaught Saving (the Irish stores seemed to be out of stock) and just received a dispatch note!

Finally got my Merkur Progress in the post today. Just in time to wrap it up and put it under the tree. Can someone advice on the order in which I should try the blades and in which setting first (1 to 5)? These are the blades I got from Connaught Shaving:

5-pack of Astra Superior Platinum

5-pack of Astra Superior Stainless

5-pack of Gillette 7 o’clock Permasharp

5-pack of Gillette 7 o’clock Sharp Edge

5-pack of Gillette 7 o’clock Super Platinum

6-pack of Gillette Super Thin Platinum (VN)

10-pack x Iridium Super Extra Stainless

5-pack of Tiger Superior Stainless

5-pack Wilkinson Sword Stainless

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I suggest you set it at 1.5 to begin with. I set mine at 2, but that is with two years' practice. I'm not familiar with all those blades but the Wilkinsons are not too fierce so I would be inclined to start with one of those.

Good luck!

Started using my Proraso Pre-shave before shaving again after not using it for almost a year, it really wakes you up on a cold crisp winter morning :D

Enjoying using it for the past three days

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Gillo wrote: »

Actually there are two of them. One is pre-shave only and is quite thick. The other, which I got from shaving.ie in a big 500ml tub, is both pre- and post-shave and is much thinner. I could imagine using it after shaving but I still think it would be a bit greasy. I prefer to stay with Trumper's skin food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lazybum

can any one help i am using the Merkur 15c but am not getting that close off a shave could anyone recommend a different razor ??

Advertisement