Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

I haven't been happy with my shave for quite a while, my preference up to now was using Mach3 and tube of palmolive shaving cream.
    I tried all the usual gillettes etc but the disposable blades and systems are just not satisfactory and its not just the cost, its the pain of preparing to shave and realising you forget to get new blades or wife has just used your last one to shave her legs. also I was finding that shaving everyday was causing an irritation so I only shave about 3 times a week now so all things considered its time for a change.
    also just turned 40 so decided to splash out on some new shaving gear from shaving.ie based on the positive comments from here

ordered a Merkur Progress, muhle silvertip brush and some taylors soap and aftershave. really looking forward to using them.
    cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I've only recently converted to DE. I'm enjoying the whole ritual and actually like shaving now. I hated shaving before switching, sometimes not shaving for 6 weeks or so.

My problem now is, I have red spots on my neck. I've always had them after a shave. They used to sting/burn, before I switched to DE and using soaps/brush/pre-shave and the like.
    They don't burn/sting now since switching, but I just can't get rid!! :(

@ bdr529, I think you'll find your Mrs will be put off by the look and weight of the Progress ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

eBay member http://myworld.ebay.com/zeus-polaris/ is sending out large Pinaud 1oz. (just under 30 grammes) styptic pencils, P&P included to Ireland for €5.40, which isn't too shabby.

The sticks are big.

pinaud1ozstyptic.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Clubman-Pinaud-Styptic-1-oz-Jumbo-Pencil-Since-1810-/290442269845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

On the subject of styptics I find these handy,I keep a pack in my wash bag for travel

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alum-Block-Bloc-100-stick-barber-and-other-users-/170452722176?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27afc62200

As you can see they're done like a match book,not quite as good as a full size pencil but most of the time they do the job - and you can just throw them away and not have to carefully dry a pencil.
    (Note the quantity in the link - it's 5 books of 20 'matches')

Seven Worlds will Collide

As you can see they're done like a match book,not quite as good as a full size pencil but most of the time they do the job - and you can just throw them away and not have to carefully dry a pencil.
    (Note the quantity in the link - it's 5 books of 20 'matches')

Thank you for solving a mystery, I saw these in a Barber Shop in Dublin and was wondering what on Earth they were.

Ali's on (23a) Aungier Street, Dublin, stock them in the entrance window stalls, no idea of the price though.

Edit: Just purchased, nice idea, great price.

Total cost works out at: €3.97 EUR P&P included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

DeadSkin wrote: »
    My problem now is, I have red spots on my neck. I've always had them after a shave. They used to sting/burn, before I switched to DE and using soaps/brush/pre-shave and the like.
    They don't burn/sting now since switching, but I just can't get rid!! :(

Give it time and they will eventually go. I had the same problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I've only recently converted to DE. I'm enjoying the whole ritual and actually like shaving now. I hated shaving before switching, sometimes not shaving for 6 weeks or so.

They don't burn/sting now since switching, but I just can't get rid!!
    They will probably go soon, but two possible treatments are (i) an alum block and (ii) http://www.tendskin.com/tendskin.htm this product which is quite effective because it contains aspirin but it can dry your skin.

Amalgam wrote: »
    eBay member http://myworld.ebay.com/zeus-polaris/ is sending out large Pinaud 1oz. (just under 30 grammes) styptic pencils, P&P included to Ireland for €5.40, which isn't too shabby.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Clubman-Pinaud-Styptic-1-oz-Jumbo-Pencil-Since-1810-/290442269845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Styptic arrived this morning. Here's a picture to give some sense of scale. I used one of these back in the early 90's. Slightly powdery, with a light tingle when used. Works quickly.

stypticscale.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Michael G wrote: »
    They will probably go soon, but two possible treatments are (i) an alum block and (ii) http://www.tendskin.com/tendskin.htm this product which is quite effective because it contains aspirin but it can dry your skin.
    I second the alum block suggestion; I use one after every shave.

I respectfully disagree with both of these suggestions. The redness will go in time as technique improves.

The alum block really is to stop minor nicks etc. from bleeding. TendSkin and the like are very abrasive on the skin an is meant to be used to release trapped ingrown hairs. It's made from alcohol and aspirin and so is very drying on the skin, and of course, you can't use it if you are alergic to aspirin.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I rarely use the alum block to stop bleeding; I just use it routinely as a skin toner. It's a happy side effect that it clears up minor nicks. :)

The Alum block can leave you feeling like you've had Botox.. it depends very much on the person's skin. I would go along with MediaTank, it is a cure for a condition, but not the one DeadSkin is having issues with. 'The dots' for me lasted a month or so. That part of your face just needs to be accustomed to the new shaving process.

If you're using an adjustable, tune it down to a less aggressive setting. A non adjustable, then maybe change your blade, change your angle.. or.. (and not trying to be smart here) change your razor.

Think about not conditioning that part of your face after the shave, some people have skin that simply will not tolerate 'lotions' of any sort. Break down your shaving ritual to the basics.. and see can you find an improvement.

Styptic arrived this morning. Here's a picture to give some sense of scale. I used one of these back in the early 90's. Slightly powdery, with a light tingle when used. Works quickly.

Fairly XL alright !
    Would ya ever wear it out ?
    The small one I have for a couple of years seems to be the same as when I bought it, I wonder do they degrade over time...I'm sure I'll forget to dry it some day and that will be the end !

Cheers for the input folks.

I have the progress and have been experimenting with the settings, also trying numerous blades.
    I've been using an alum block for a few weeks now and found no improvement in the dots. I do like the feel of the block though.

I know there's no quick fix, just gonna continue with a process of elimination.
    I'm shaving every 2 days now, that's down from a possible shave every 3 to 6 weeks for years!!

As I said in my previous post, the spots don't sting/burn any more, it's just that they look rank. I shave at night so the redness has calmed down a bit the next day.

I'm sure I'll forget to dry it some day and that will be the end !

I killed off an Edwin Jagger styptic by leaving it wet and replacing the plastic cover. Next shave, it was white goo.

There's a small pair of aeration holes at the top of the Pinaud styptic cover.

Shave nerd that I am, I look forward to trying those 'styptic matches'. The idea of use once and discard is an appealing one.

Edit: Chris at http://www.shaving.ie/ is stocking them now.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Alum-Sticks.html

Shave nerd that I am, I look forward to trying those 'styptic matches'. The idea of use once and discard is an appealing one.

Yea - they're quite good for small nicks.Just give the tip a quick dip in the sink and apply lightly.I found the odd one disintegrated. If you were unlucky enough to get a big nick I'd reach for the usual pencil...not that us experienced wet shavers get nicks any more......:D

Nicks? No.. but those really really small isolated blood specks can be annoying. I get one in exactly the same place on my neck using a Murker HD, I also get one in exactly the same place every time on my chin, using a Schick Krona.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi guys, I am interested in purchasing a safety razor. But I am a bit lost. I have no idea which razor to buy. I don't know which creams to buy, what the technique involves, pre post shave. I tried to look through this thread, but I ended up more confused than when I started! Hopefully someone can point me in the direction of some answers. Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am interested in purchasing a safety razor. But I am a bit lost. I have no idea which razor to buy.

A popular starter razor is the Merkur Progress, it may seem expensive but its adjustable which is good when your starting off.
    what the technique involves, pre post shave.

First thing is first watch these videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59
    Start with the intro videos
    (pretty much all the videos at the top with the blue backround highlight.

Hi guys, I am interested in purchasing a safety razor. But I am a bit lost. I have no idea which razor to buy. I don't know which creams to buy, what the technique involves, pre post shave. I tried to look through this thread, but I ended up more confused than when I started! Hopefully someone can point me in the direction of some answers. Thanks

What Cabaal said, plus some vendors do a complete DE shaving kit. Shaving.ie have one that's pretty good with some options in it. I'd stick with the regular Progress and go for the Taylor Avocado shaving cream. These kits come with a selection of blades to try too.

• Advertisement

Deedsie, I went with the long handled Progress starting out. I recently got a shorter handled razor[cheers DonJose ;)] and find that the longer handle of the Progress involves a bit more work.
    I was quite happy happy with it but, when I used a shorter handle, I just found it easier.

That's my 2 cents!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Ebay is the place to buy a great vintage safety razor that will outperform modern safety razors. Search for a Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Red Tip or a Gillette Slim Handle Adjustable, you can't go wrong with any of these.

Good luck with it. I have been using a DE razor for two years now. Shaving is a pleasure and I look better-shaved every day than any of my colleagues, and my skin is smoother. But there is no magic formula. I use a Merkur Progress long-handle razor because it has a nice weight and is easy to use, but I have shaved just as well with my late father's sixty-year-old Gilette.

Wet your face well with hot water, put up a comfortable lather with a brush, and DO NOT EVER PRESS DOWN ON THE RAZOR. Just let it glide along your face with just enough pressure to keep the blade in contact with your skin. Shave in the direction that your beard grows.

Then wet your face again with hot water, lather up again, and shave LIGHTLY across the way your beard grows; not against it.

Finally, splash your face with cold water. If you have any nicks, dab them with a moistened styptic pencil – an essential piece of equipment.

You are not supposed to have a face that feels like a baby's bottom; that is a myth, though veteran professional barbers may be able to achieve something like it. When you start shaving with a DE blade, you want the result to be a face that feels smooth when you run your hand in the direction of your beard's growth, and you want no red bits. In a few weeks' time you can start trying out other tricks.

By the way, I buy everything from http://www.shaving.ie (not a relation; I don't even know him), but because he is Irish postage is cheap, and service is outstanding.

You are not supposed to have a face that feels like a baby's bottom; that is a myth, though veteran professional barbers may be able to achieve something like it. When you start shaving with a DE blade, you want the result to be a face that feels smooth when you run your hand in the direction of your beard's growth, and you want no red bits. In a few weeks' time you can start trying out other tricks.

I've been shaving with a safety razor for 2 years now and I expect to get a baby bottom smooth shave everytime. I usually shave downwards twice (shaving with the grain) and then finish with an upwards shave (shaving against the grain), its very important to lather after each pass.

DonJose wrote: »
    I've been shaving with a safety razor for 2 years now and I expect to get a baby bottom smooth shave everytime. I usually shave downwards twice (shaving with the grain) and then finish with an upwards shave (shaving against the grain), its very important to lather after each pass.
    You are right, it is vital to lather after each pass, but you are very lucky that God gave you such a smooth face. Some of us have a more uneven ground to cover.

Ok guys, I have purchased/intend to purchase the following items:

1x Merkur 34C 'HD'
    1x Lea shaving stick

3x Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum
    2x Feather (New Hi-Stainless) (Platinum)
    3x Super Platinum (ASR Personna)

I also have Nivea facial scrub and moisturiser.

I am going to purchase the following badger brush off shaving.ie today, I just want to know what else do I need. I may order it all off shaving.ie today.

I also have to get shaving cream. What shaving cream would you recommend?

1x Merkur 34C 'HD'
    1x Lea shaving stick

I am going to purchase the following badger brush off shaving.ie today, I just want to know what else do I need. I may order it all off shaving.ie today.

You'll be better off with the Merkur Progress razor, and try a tube of Taylor Avocado shaving cream.

MediaTank wrote: »
    You'll be better off with the Merkur Progress razor, and try a tube of Taylor Avocado shaving cream.

I have already purchased the HD razor, I'll order the avocado shaving cream now. Anyone know where I might get a discount coupon for shaving.ie?

1x Merkur 34C 'HD'
    1x Lea shaving stick

Its not in stock but the Muhle R89 os a great razor and should be a part of every DE razor collection, its my main choice of razor and I have over a dozen.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-R89-Classic-Razor.html

I love the Geo F Trumpers coconut oil shaving cream.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Geo-F-Trumper-Shaving-Cream-Bowls.html

• Advertisement

1x Merkur 34C 'HD'
    1x Lea shaving stick

I ordered a black HJM Pure Badger brush

I also ordered Taylor Avocado shaving cream.

Is there anything else I need? I don't have a shaving bowl. They seem pretty expensive. What's the cheapest bowl you would get?

And finally does anyone have a beginners shaving procedure from start to finish.

Shower, wash face, apply lather shave in short strokes etc?

Advertisement