Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

KTRIC wrote: »
    Got a Wilkinson Sword Classic and I'm absolutely flabbergasted at the difference :D I've just got a super smooth shave with no bumps.

Well done

Great that you got good results from a razor that would be considered by many to be at the lower end of the scale.

Of Course you're hooked now - just wait for the AD(acquisition disease) to kick in - razors brushes blades creams soaps, after shave etc. etc :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

KTRIC wrote: »
    Got a Wilkinson Sword Classic and I'm absolutely flabbergasted at the difference :D I've just got a super smooth shave with no bumps.
    What blades? Wilkinsons? They are very gentle, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

On Clare St, Dublin. They have a huge range of Truefitt & Hill, Kent, Floris and many others. Jsut stocked up on T&H shaving cream. Ask nicely and you get a 20% discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

MediaTank wrote: »
    On Clare St, Dublin. They have a huge range of Truefitt & Hill, Kent, Floris and many others. Jsut stocked up on T&H shaving cream. Ask nicely and you get a 20% discount!

MediaTank, is it only consumables, or is there any 'hardware' being sold alongside it?

I had to Google Floris. http://www.florislondon.com/versions/eng/

Amalgam wrote: »
    MediaTank, is it only consumables, or is there any 'hardware' being sold alongside it?

I had to Google Floris. http://www.florislondon.com/versions/eng/

Consumables and hardware such as shaving brushes, mirrors, razor stands etc. But no razors just yet - the staff have to be 'trained' before they sell razors ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

They have Penhaligons too for those who are interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How Edwin Jagger make their shaving brushes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Anyone use the King of Shaves Serums ? http://www.shave.com/shave/?tab=serum

While you get a good shave from them a word of warning, you'll need the lads cleaning up the gulf coast of oil in to help you clean your basin afterwards ! The stuff leaves this heavy film everywhere and you really need to clean the basin and razor afterwards, a rinse will not do at all ! The hair just sticks to everything like glue, not good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jip wrote: »

Anyone I've talked to doesn't appear to like it at all,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sadly, my Spanish Floïd has run out. Currently using..

clubmanboards25052010.jpg

Lovely scent, Oakmoss and Treemoss, Citronelol, Limonone, Geraniol, heavy talc influence, with a strong vanilla character.

The scent has a reputation for being Kitsch. Not exactly high end, I think this bottle was bought for under $5 in a 'CVS Pharmacy'. Somewhere in Philadelphia.

I love it, you stink for a good while, the vanilla and talc character come through, without being overly sweet.

A strong skin bracer though, not for the timid.

I have previous use under my belt, from the mid 90's, just when they were phasing out the glass bottles.

I use this as a general splash, not just after shaving.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »

While you get a good shave from them a word of warning, you'll need the lads cleaning up the gulf coast of oil in to help you clean your basin afterwards ! The stuff leaves this heavy film everywhere and you really need to clean the basin and razor afterwards, a rinse will not do at all ! The hair just sticks to everything like glue, not good.
    I agree. It makes ****e of a DE razor. Mine went in the bin. Back to Proraso soaps and creams, and their equivalents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, mines gone to the back of the cabinet while I finish off all the various stuff I currently have, it's going to be reduced to the back up for when I run out of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Muhle R106 to me is better than the Merkur HD as a starter - razor alignment is better and the shave smoother because of this. The blade angle is good for both novices and the experienced.

Merkur Slant 37C or 39C if you want a longer handle is also excellent. Not normally recommended for new comers but I disagree. It is more "aggressive" which means a little more care is required but is a dream shaver for strong whiskers or differing angles.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream is excellent and has a very interesting fougere scent while being designed to be less inclined to irritate.

Musgo Real shaving cream is fantastic.

Option 1. R106 and Taylors - modern metrosexual
    Option 2. Slant and Musgo - old school testosterone
    Option 3. R106 and Musgo - alternative to option 1
    Option 4. A bleeding edge sharp straight and Musgo.

If you don't already have a decent badger brush - get one. Kent BK4 is a great start - silver tip at a reasonable price.

Another must have is a styptic pencil. Cheap but effective ones are available at all good chemists and pharmacies. Mistakes happen, attention distracted - one of these will mean you can still wear a white shirt.

Welcome to the world of the wet :-)

I've had enough of the ridiculous prices and unsatisfying shave of the Gilettes, and have decided to splash out on a Safety Razor.

I'm gonna go for the basic starter kit. At the moment there's a choice of 3 razors, the Merkur 1904, Mühle R89 and Merkur HD 34c. What would you recommend out of those 3?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I would go with the Muhle R89.
    Muhle make excellent razors you will be very happy with it.

Brill thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Gadge wrote: »
    I've had enough of the ridiculous prices and unsatisfying shave of the Gilettes, and have decided to splash out on a Safety Razor.

I'm gonna go for the basic starter kit. At the moment there's a choice of 3 razors, the Merkur 1904, Mühle R89 and Merkur HD 34c. What would you recommend out of those 3?

Thanks!

Welcome to the world of real shaving Gadge :)

Mühle R89 - great introduction and great upgrade over the 1904 and 34c heads. The head as actually made by Jagger and fit and finish are superb.

Very smooth and safe and Mühle also suggest you can slighty, very slighty loosen the head for a touch more aggression to finish. I wouldn't recommend trying this straight off but definitely try the razor - you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy!

I wouldn't necessarily recommend any of those. I'd go for the Merkur Progress instead - it's adjustable and is the only safety razor you'll ever need.

MT

I've had enough of the ridiculous prices and unsatisfying shave of the Gilettes

Hey ! My favourite razor is a Gillette....mind you it was made in 1960 :D

The Merkur progress is slightly out of my price range for now. I went for the The Basic Essentials Safety Razor Starter Kit with the Muhle R89 and a pack of Gilette blades. Free shipping was a bonus.

Can't wait to get them now. I'll report back after my first shave!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Just started into the world of DE shaving. Ordered an Omega Boar Brush, a
    Edwin Jagger DE89L, a sample pack of blades and some TOBS avocado shaving cream from Shaving.ie last week. So far I'm enjoying the experience, I actually look forward to shaving.

Just wondering what blades people would recommend to start with? I've been using the Gillette 7 o' clocks (Yellow) and the shave has been ok, not great. I have some feathers so I might use them next but I've heard that they're really sharp so I want to wait until I'm a bit more experienced before I use them.

• Advertisement

Just started into the world of DE shaving. Ordered an Omega Boar Brush, a
    Edwin Jagger DE89L, a sample pack of blades and some TOBS avocado shaving cream from Shaving.ie last week. So far I'm enjoying the experience, I actually look forward to shaving.

Just wondering what blades people would recommend to start with? I've been using the Gillette 7 o' clocks (Yellow) and the shave has been ok, not great. I have some feathers so I might use them next but I've heard that they're really sharp so I want to wait until I'm a bit more experienced before I use them.

The Gillette yellows are a good blade. Try the Gillette Thai super thins and the Gillette Bleue French blades. The Israeli Red Personna blades are not the sharpest but are smooth. Best bet is to get as many sample packs as you can and find what works for you.

You could also try Wilkinson Sword available in many local supermarkets etc or Tesco own brand which I find pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

The Gillette yellows are a good blade. Try the Gillette Thai super thins and the Gillette Bleue French blades. The Israeli Red Personna blades are not the sharpest but are smooth. Best bet is to get as many sample packs as you can and find what works for you.
    Cool, thanks. I have some Red Personnas so I'll give them a try.

You could also try Wilkinson Sword available in many local supermarkets etc or Tesco own brand which I find pretty good

Thanks as well. I also have some of them and will give them a try.

Can anyone tell me the difference in length between the progress short/long handle versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the difference in length between the progress short/long handle versions?

The handle length for the long handle is 105mm vs approx 85mm for the standard progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Rojomcdojo, I use the short-handled version, and I don't find it that small at all. In fact, I'd imagine that the long-handled version would be too long for me. Granted, I have small hands; my wrist diameter is approx 6.5"

I have both versions of the Progress and whilst I like both I prefer the extra weight of the long-handled version (an extra 10g compared to the shorter version and makes it a tad more aggressive).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I've been reading the thread and you guys have sold me on the safety razors. I ordered the Basic Essentials Safety Razor Starter Kit with the Muhle R89 from shaving.ie Looking forward to experiencing a real shave because I've never felt that the Fusions or any other cartridge razor was particularly good.

Now to watch some youtube guides before my bathroom ends up looking like something from Nightmare on Elm Street!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Check out mantic 59's videos on you tube, great tutorials.

• Advertisement

I was happily using Proraso soap but have just recently started with Taylor's Wool Fat. There is a definite improvement in the quality of the shave. Has anyone else tried it?

Advertisement