Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

lazybum wrote: »
    can any one help i am using the Merkur 15c but am not getting that close off a shave could anyone recommend a different razor ??

are you a seasoned DE user? if not then don't jump to blaming the razor. There could be many factors at play:
    What blade are you using?
    Are you shaving at the right angle & pressure?
    How's your lather?
    How's your general technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

can any one help i am using the Merkur 15c but am not getting that close off a shave could anyone recommend a different razor ??

The open comb head should be capable of giving a close shave but they will be less forgiving if you are not finding the correct angle. Preparing the beard well is key as this will lift and soften the bristles making a smooth shave more easily acheiveable. Most recommend shaving after a shower. Build a nice slick lather with enough for 2-3 passes. Try experimenting with short strokes at different angles to find what works best. With a bit of practice and experimentation you should be getting nearer to the results you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lazybum

i have been using DE shaving for 6 months now i only shave after my shower,and am using astra blades and murker blades.
    i do 3 passes but i do use large strokes but i do get a great lather with my brush.i don't put pressure on the razor cos i was told just let the razor do the work.but will try tomorrow.as only back from been away.
    thanks guys for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

i do use large strokes but i do get a great lather with my brush.i don't put pressure on the razor cos i was told just let the razor do the work.
    Try shorter strokes. Don't press down on the blade.

thanks will try at next shave will post how i get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I'd try a straight razor if it means I'm no longer a slave to the gillette corporation.
    Although I'm afriad of tearing the face off myself!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I'd try a straight razor if it means I'm no longer a slave to the gillette corporation.
    Although I'm afriad of tearing the face off myself!:o

Try a safety razor to start, much easier and very little risk (if any).

On a different note, anyone else try the New Forest brushes?
    I've just ordered another to add to my collection. Great brushes
    at an excellent price as I'm sure any of you who visit TSR UK and
    B&B will know.
    http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.com/

have tried shorter strokes with my DE and it has worked treats.
    thanks for everyone's help.

have tried shorter strokes with my DE and it has worked treats.
    thanks for everyone's help.
    Congratulations. With two years' experience, I can tell you it keeps getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Michael G wrote: »
    Congratulations. With two years' experience, I can tell you it keeps getting better.

Do you save much money in the long run by changing to a straight razor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

..On a different note, anyone else try the New Forest brushes?
    http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.com/

Ah you rotter.. so tempting. I love the.. one price, no messing approach, you don't have to fuss or enquire about P&P.

Very nice brushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Faith+1 this thread is about safety razors and not straight razors. In the interest of keeping the thread on topic I'd suggest that you create a new thread with your questions on straight razors.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Ah you rotter.. so tempting. I love the.. one price, no messing approach, you don't have to fuss or enquire about P&P.

Very nice brushes.

This will be my third New Forest brush, they perform brilliantly and as Peter cuts
    out the middle men they are excellent value. If you haven't seen his blog on the
    various different brand brushes he has tried it is worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Oh god, I spent like 2 weeks away from my Merkur. Finally got it back, mmmm such a good shave.

Don't leave your razor at your parents house!

Most of the time I shave with a Personna (from ASDA in Enniskillen) or a humble Tesco own-brand, which I understand is a Personna but not quite good enough to carry the name. Never a nick or a burn with either. But I have just savaged myself with a Gilette 7 O'Clock that I fished out of a sample pack I got from Chris at shaving.ie a few months ago. It made me wonder whether if we use the same brand for a while we actually adjust to it in some unconscious way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Different people have different reactions to different blades, I for one am a big fan of the 7 O'Clock Green's, I tried Derby's and they were okay, When I tried personna from the sample pack I ripped the face off myself, I didn't even look at the feathers :D:D, I think it's all down to your skin type and shaving style as to what works best for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think you would generally adjust to the pressure and angle required. I've been using Personna platinum for a while and find them the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just came across this thread. How is these safety razors for shaving your head? Do they stay sharp? I ask as my Mach3 (new blade) recently tore some more skin off my head (damn nuisance).

the_syco wrote: »
    Just came across this thread. How is these safety razors for shaving your head? Do they stay sharp? I ask as my Mach3 (new blade) recently tore some more skin off my head (damn nuisance).
    I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of practice at shaving your face with a safety razor. If the Mach3 cut your scalp it was probably because you moved it sideways so that it was slicing rather than shaving. With a safety razor you have the same risk and the cut might even be deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

the_syco wrote: »

http://www.headblade.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Gave my housemate a cheapo Wilkinson Sword razor to try out and he went straight to shaving his head, didn't complain about and cuts or nick or anything. Just amazed at how long the shave lasts him.

Gave my housemate a cheapo Wilkinson Sword razor to try out and he went straight to shaving his head, didn't complain about and cuts or nick or anything. Just amazed at how long the shave lasts him.

The Wilkinson Sword DE?

Michael G wrote: »
    The Wilkinson Sword DE?

It is a plastic handled DE razor, available in the likes of Boots and Tesco for
    under a tenner. Boots also stock a similar plastic own brand razor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Was readin this thread and it got me interested

SO
    I Bought this today
    http://therazorshop.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=348&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=55

$20 very happy with it

What I'd like to know is what advantage is there in buying a $100+ Razor??

SO
    I Bought this today
    http://therazorshop.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=348&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=55

$20 very happy with it

I suppose some will say it's the feel & handling of certain razors. Also weight and balance can be important.
    I am relatively new to DE shaving, I've been using my Merkur Progress for just over a month now. Last week I bought a Gillette Fat Boy (1961) and wow, I had a great shave using the same razor brand as the Progress. Only one small nick and overall the shave felt smoother so there is definitely something about the razor that matters.

I'm also beginning to think the long handle on the Progress is doing me no favours, the short handle on the Fat Boy means my hand is closer to the face allowing me to maintain a lighter grip etc. I might shorten my grip on the Progress and see how it goes.

foinse wrote: »
    Different people have different reactions to different blades, I for one am a big fan of the 7 O'Clock Green's, I tried Derby's and they were okay, When I tried personna from the sample pack I ripped the face off myself, I didn't even look at the feathers :D:D, I think it's all down to your skin type and shaving style as to what works best for you.

I'm enjoying the 7 O'Clock Greens too. I am still in my 'sample' mode. I tried Personna red first and hmm, not too impressed. At the time my technique wasn't the best either I guess so I will go back to them and give them another try soon.
    I also tried Derby Extra and again, only so-so. The moment I tried a 7 O'Clock green I was amazed. Much smoother three-pass shave compared to the others.
    I will look forward to trying a 7 O'Clock Yellow next and I also got the Gillette Extra Thin blades, they look like they are made for the Indian market I think.
    Then and only then will I unwrap the beast that is the Feathers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I'm enjoying the 7 O'Clock Greens too. I am still in my 'sample' mode. I tried Personna red first and hmm, not too impressed. At the time my technique wasn't the best either I guess so I will go back to them and give them another try soon.
    I also tried Derby Extra and again, only so-so. The moment I tried a 7 O'Clock green I was amazed. Much smoother three-pass shave compared to the others.
    I will look forward to trying a 7 O'Clock Yellow next and I also got the Gillette Extra Thin blades, they look like they are made for the Indian market I think.
    Then and only then will I unwrap the beast that is the Feathers :)

I've been using a DE for about 6 months now. I still haven't tried the Feathers yet, but the time is coming soon.

I have found the Astras and Derbys to be good, absolutely hated the Personna and I have been using 7 O'Clock Yellows for the past 2 months. I found the Greens to be so so and I also hated the Merkur blades.

7 O'Clock yellows or Astras would probably be my long-term choice.

Has anyone tried the Bolzano or Elios blades?

I really do think it comes down to personal choice and circumstances (type of skin, technique etc..) though when it comes to selecting blades.

For any DE starters out there, the best best is to try them all, but give each a generous amount of time until you decide on a longer-term choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

..What I'd like to know is what advantage is there in buying a $100+ Razor??

None really, unless you want a particular vintage model. You're paying extra to separate yourself from the herd. After that $100 $200 or $300 purchase.. there's absolutely no guarantee of a good shave, it just might not suit your skin\face.

Having said that, I would pay extra for some heavy duty craftsmanship. I am partial to big slabs of steel..

http://www.ikonrazors.com/

Using a Mühle R106 at the moment, with 'yellow Gillette' blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Uriel. wrote: »
    ...snip

Has anyone tried the Bolzano or Elios blades?

...snip

I've tried them both. The Bolzano blades are the best blades I've used (I've tried quite a few) and the Elios were one of the worst - I could have gotten the same shave from a cheese grater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

SO
    I Bought this today

$20 very happy with it

I think, like with razor blades. It's all down to personal preference. Some like a long handle, some short, some people like a razor with an adjustable head, some like an open comb and some like slant razors. So it really does all come down to the person.

Some people have SAD (Shaving Acquisition Disorder), which is a very prevalent disorder on this forum, If you look at my sig you'll notice that I even have it. :D:D:D Some just like shiny sharp things and don't care how much they pay for it.

Advertisement