Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I think there are a few Fat fans here :). It is a great soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I think there are a few Fat fans here :).

*giggles*

:pac:

New gear I got today, gonna give it a spin after dinner. :cool:

I fear I may have gone overboard a bit...

4b6e41cf.jpg

Merkur 34C, Omega brush, Muhle mug, proraso cream and aftershave lotion (smells quite nice, not too strong), Derby, Persona and Feather blades. I decided to get that cool little stand too. Better than the brush & razor just lying around on the countertop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Dord wrote: »

4b6e41cf.jpg

Merkur 34C, Omega brush, Muhle mug, proraso cream and aftershave lotion (smells quite nice, not too strong), Derby, Persona and Feather blades. I decided to get that cool little stand too. Better than the brush & razor just lying around on the countertop.

I want the stand and the mug, where did you get this groovy gear from?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

shaving.ie have them. I have the stand, it's really handy.

• Advertisement

Got it all from shaving.ie. The two of them are in the accessories section. http://www.shaving.ie/categories/Accessories/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Dord wrote: »

4b6e41cf.jpg

Hey Dord, is that the Proraso aftershave lotion, it's a mild enough smell alright. I recommend the Speick lotion, love the smell of that stuff.

Yeah, I want that stand, but the Progress don't fit :(

Any one know of one similar that will fit the Progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

Hi all. Bought a tonne of gear from shaving.ie last week to try out the whole DE shaving experience! First shave this morning. The shave on my cheeks was good, found the chin tricky. Also found it impossible to shave directly under my nose. Then my neck... not sure what I did wrong but I looked like something out of a bad Hollywood horror film. No, I really did... Did I have the blade set on the adjustable knob wrong? Had it on 2.5. I think it was anyway, when fully tight after putting the blade in it was fully tight at about 3, so it wasn't really starting at 0. Bit disappointed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Hi all. Bought a tonne of gear from shaving.ie last week to try out the whole DE shaving experience! First shave this morning. The shave on my cheeks was good, found the chin tricky. Also found it impossible to shave directly under my nose. Then my neck... not sure what I did wrong but I looked like something out of a bad Hollywood horror film. No, I really did... Did I have the blade set on the adjustable knob wrong? Had it on 2.5. I think it was anyway, when fully tight after putting the blade in it was fully tight at about 3, so it wasn't really starting at 0. Bit disappointed....

It does sound like you didn't have the Progress set together right. I posted a picture on the shaving.ie thread showing how you need to have the 'line' on the cap on the same side as the 'triangle' on@the handle. Try the razor on 0 or .5 for the first couple of weeks, you'll need to get used to how it differs to a cartridge razor. Watch the angle of the head against your skin.

For the top lip I go down with the graian nd then across the grain on each side but hold off on that against the grain trick for a while.

Check the tutorials by mantic59 on youtube for advice.

Had my first shave earlier, took my time and I think I did ok. No major cuts, just one or two little specks on my neck. Quite a nice experience and very different from a cartridge razor. Skin feels very smooth and nice now... such a change as I normally have a beard or stubble. :pac:

It was a bit tricky on my chin and top lip though.

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Hey Dord, is that the Proraso aftershave lotion, it's a mild enough smell alright. I recommend the Speick lotion, love the smell of that stuff.

Yeah, I want that stand, but the Progress don't fit :(

Any one know of one similar that will fit the Progress?

Yeah, it is... sorry the label was facing the other side and forgot to turn it round for the pic. I like it as it's quite subtle. I'll give the Speick one a go sometime and see how that is.

The stand is very nice and does a good job. :)

As Gran Hermano was saying there are two alignment marks on the side of the head and once they are both on the same side you should be able to fully close the head to just below the 1 setting. This is where you should start from as it is the most forgiving setting. The hardest thing to learn is maintaining a consistent light touch and angle. If you skin is getting very irritated and you are nicking yourself a lot it is likely that you are applying too much pressure. The chin is and nose are tricky but its just a matter of getting the angle right. With short light strokes you can go over the same area once or twice with no ill effect as long as you are not applying any pressure. Its important to realise there is a small learning curve to get a smooth and comfortable shave but when you get there you will be glad you stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have a look at the razor again and make sure I had it assembled correctly. And also make sure my technique is correct. Used electric today but may try DE razor again tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have a look at the razor again and make sure I had it assembled correctly. And also make sure my technique is correct. Used electric today but may try DE razor again tomorrow.

I'd try and avoid swapping between electric and DE razors, your skin/stubble will adjust to using a DE. Just try shaving with the grain to start whilst you get used to the technique - it'll probably give you a shave as close as the electric anyhow ;)

What blade did you use? I'm new to DE shaving too, I find the Perma-sharp & Personna do the trick for me at the first setting.

I found it took a few weeks to get used to the weight of the Progress, also learned to take my time and shave with the grain.
    For the final pass, I go against the grain, which is up for the top half of my neck and down for the bottom half of my neck. I really take my time in these areas.
    Stick with it dude!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As well as technique, there's also skin preparation to take into account. I sometimes forget a step when shaving, and I can really feel the difference: for example, this morning I forgot to apply pre-shave cream. I still got a decent shave, better than anything from the days of multi-blade hell, but less comfortable than if I'd used the Proraso.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    As well as technique, there's also skin preparation to take into account. I sometimes forget a step when shaving, and I can really feel the difference: for example, this morning I forgot to apply pre-shave cream. I still got a decent shave, better than anything from the days of multi-blade hell, but less comfortable than if I'd used the Proraso.

Yep, that Proraso pre-shave is good shit!!!

The Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Got my Muhle R89 set last week from shaving.ie , first shave was ok, neck was still fecked from the fusion. I shaved 2 nights later and I decided to leave the hair grow cause i could see alot of hair still just coming out from under the skin(get alot of ingrown hairs)

So after 5 nights growth I shaved this eve, with my best results so far, neck looks far better than normal and the whole shave has it very smooth. Delighted.

Watch them youtube vids, very good, found them right helpful.

Brendygg wrote: »
    Got my Muhle R89 set last week from shaving.ie , first shave was ok, neck was still fecked from the fusion. I shaved 2 nights later and I decided to leave the hair grow cause i could see alot of hair still just coming out from under the skin(get alot of ingrown hairs)

So after 5 nights growth I shaved this eve, with my best results so far, neck looks far better than normal and the whole shave has it very smooth. Delighted.

Watch them youtube vids, very good, found them right helpful.

Good to see its working out for you:) Lots of people are loving the Muhle it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hi guys,

I've tried two shaves with my new kit. I'm having no problems with the face but it seems like I'm tearing my neck. Can anyone offer any tips for this area?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I've tried two shaves with my new kit. I'm having no problems with the face but it seems like I'm tearing my neck. Can anyone offer any tips for this area?

Thanks

Post up your routine and it'll help.

Pay attention to the preparation and pre-shave.
    Make sure you watch the direction of growth around the neck and shave with the grain first.
    Re-lather frequently and never shave an area that does not have lather on it.
    Avoid placing any pressure on the razor and watch your angles.
    Short and light strokes help.

Post up your routine and it'll help.

Pay attention to the preparation and pre-shave.
    Make sure you watch the direction of growth around the neck and shave with the grain first.
    Re-lather frequently and never shave an area that does not have lather on it.
    Avoid placing any pressure on the razor and watch your angles.
    Short and light strokes help.

Thanks.

I'm finding it hard to judge the hair growth direction on my neck. I think maybe that's where the problem is. I'm going to live it a rest tomorrow and try again on Sunday. I'll watch those videos on youtube again also.

thanks again :)

I used a Persona blade this morning and thought it was pretty good. I preferred the Derby initially but the Persona seemed to do a better job in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Until you know what you are doing, and that can take a few weeks, do not shave against the grain on your neck. Also, try holding the razor as if it was an upside-down spoon, and just let it slide down your neck. When I started shaving with a DE razor, I made the mistake of holding it firmly and scraping my neck, and I ended up like you with a raw, stinging neck. What I learned over the following week or two is that the blade does the work; you don't.

The thing I did that really taught me a lesson was when I used my late father's Gillette razor, now 50 years old, with a Wilkinson Sword blade. The razor is much lighter than anything we are used to. The Wilkinson blade is very mild. If you use them together, you can hold the razor between your thumb and the tip of your first finger and actually slide the razor with, across and against the grain of your beard. No cuts, no rash and no stubble.

Michael G wrote: »
    Until you know what you are doing, and that can take a few weeks, do not shave against the grain on your neck. Also, try holding the razor as if it was an upside-down spoon, and just let it slide down your neck. When I started shaving with a DE razor, I made the mistake of holding it firmly and scraping my neck, and I ended up like you with a raw, stinging neck. What I learned over the following week or two is that the blade does the work; you don't.

The thing I did that really taught me a lesson was when I used my late father's Gillette razor, now 50 years old, with a Wilkinson Sword blade. The razor is much lighter than anything we are used to. The Wilkinson blade is very mild. If you use them together, you can hold the razor between your thumb and the tip of your first finger and actually slide the razor with, across and against the grain of your beard. No cuts, no rash and no stubble.

This sounds likes what's happening me. I can hear the scrapping and the neck is raw and stinging after. I'll try your tips in about half an hour :)

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I'll try your tips in about half an hour.
    Let us know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tigger7

Hi Lads,
    Have been reading with interest the last few days and have decided to take the plunge...I've been looking at various sites and have seen the new Mercur Futur (Satin finish)!! Has anyone any recommendations on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Tigger7 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    Have been reading with interest the last few days and have decided to take the plunge...I've been looking at various sites and have seen the new Mercur Futur (Satin finish)!! Has anyone any recommendations on this??

It looks cool, but I would not recommend it for a starter razor. Go for a Progress instead.

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tigger7

Cheers MT, i might just put it on my wish list for xmas after i master the art....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Need to get some blades, 1st time since christmas!!!
    Where in Dublin/Cork can they be picked up?

OR

What is the best online local site?

Advertisement