Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We had a baby boy on Tuesday morning after only 3 hours labour. My OH plowed through the labour and he arrived.

Its such a massive shock at first but its so worth it to see him open his eyes and make little noises now and then. Nothing prepares you for it.

The midwives in Drogheda were fantastic and couldn't recommend them enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'll never forget waiting to hear both mine cry when they were born. It was the longest 5 seconds of my life.
    The first I had time to enjoy for a few hours. The second, as soon as I phoned home and said all was OK. I was told to come home and look after my 3 year old who hadn't seen me in 18 hours and whose biggest concern was that Mammy was never coming home.
    She was in 3 days at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

OH did a 2 tests the weekend and she's positive after 4 months trying so we chuffed.

She booked first doctors appt tonight, are we allowed in on this one or is this normally the women only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fidge13

I've never been refused entry into the doc's room on an appointment. Make sure you're there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Jasper79 wrote: »
    OH did a 2 tests the weekend and she's positive after 4 months trying so we chuffed.

She booked first doctors appt tonight, are we allowed in on this one or is this normally the women only ?

There's no need to be there, the doctor will just do a urine test to confirm it, check weight, height, etc. I didn't bring my husband, I wouldn't bring him to a standard doctors appointment outside of pregnancy confirmation so I didn't see any reason to bring him to sit there for such a routine few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

There's no need to be there, the doctor will just do a urine test to confirm it, check weight, height, etc. I didn't bring my husband, I wouldn't bring him to a standard doctors appointment outside of pregnancy confirmation so I didn't see any reason to bring him to sit there for such a routine few minutes.

It can be nice to be there for the official confirmation and often the doctor is the first person to congratulate you. I think I only missed two of my wife's appointments during her pregnancy although sometimes I just sat outside while she went in.

I just don't see the need for someone to be there for routine gp appointments, especially if they have to miss work for it, but each to their own. The first congratulations and official confirmation thing didn't bother me either, once you've a positive test at home that's about as official as it gets, so many people still believe the doctors test is better and more accurate and get badly caught when they are told it's negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't think my husband went to any of my doctors visits and I had two high risk pregnancies. All that happened was a blood pressure check and a chat, a review of notes and sometimes a listen to the baby. Its boring enough when you are the patient. Unless your partner is very anxious or you have concerns of some kind there is no need for it but if it makes you feel happier or more involved then go for it. There will probably be at least one visit where you won't be allowed in - this is to go through the woman's previous pregnancy history and sometimes to talk about issues of domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Jasper79 wrote: »

I went and I was delighted I did. Not much happened but I felt it's important to be involved as much as I can and we've little enough to do at the best of times apart from cleaning up around the house & feeding our OH.

Thanks for the replies.

Going to the scans ( all going well) will be a given.

The routine checks for blood pressure etc yeah I agree no need for me to be there really unless OH wants it.

I just think maybe the first appt, if finding out plan going forward and that might be worth going. Rather be a spare tool there than not being there I think .

Herself fine either way ..

• Advertisement

You don't find out at much at the first gp appt, more at the 12 week scan. The gp just asks what hospital/consultant you want, offers a bit of advice on that if needed, and tells you the appointment will come in the post. If you can go easily and your partner wants you to then do, but don't be going to trouble with work etc to make it there, it's quite dull :p

I was blue in the face telling my husband he didn't have to come to the repeat 12 week scan at 15 weeks, but he went and rearranged work and had a whole hooha to be there when there was no need, I'd nearly have preferred if he has just left me to it, especially as he is the identifiable one in our couple in the small town we live in! So do whatever she wants you to do, if she wants you to go go, if she wants to go alone let her at it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

GF is coming to the end of a high risk pregnancy. I've been to all the big scans at 12, 22 and 28 weeks. There were other scans about once a month and I was at some, missed others. Didn't go to the GP for confirmation as she had done two tests at home

I'd go as often as possible to baby doc appointments and scans but if I'm working I don't

You don't find out at much at the first gp appt, more at the 12 week scan. The gp just asks what hospital/consultant you want, offers a bit of advice on that if needed, and tells you the appointment will come in the post. If you can go easily and your partner wants you to then do, but don't be going to trouble with work etc to make it there, it's quite dull :p

I was blue in the face telling my husband he didn't have to come to the repeat 12 week scan at 15 weeks, but he went and rearranged work and had a whole hooha to be there when there was no need, I'd nearly have preferred if he has just left me to it, especially as he is the identifiable one in our couple in the small town we live in! So do whatever she wants you to do, if she wants you to go go, if she wants to go alone let her at it :)

Thanks yeah it's this evening after work and i'll be picking her up to bring her anyways so kinda makes sense. Asked if she'd rather go on own but she doesn't mind so think I'll go in with her .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

My little one came two days overdue on Monday but she is worth the wait. A roller coaster of a labour where the birth plan was repeatedly thrown away as our little Madame kept changing her mind on whether she wanted to be born or not. All home and well now.

Seriously Holles St - only one toilet in the whole building for men?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Mousewar wrote: »
    Seriously Holles St - only one toilet in the whole building for men?

Yeah it's fairly ridiculous, we were about 9 hours in a labour room and I was drinking so much water I was up and down the 4 floors every half an hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I think it's the same in the Rotunda... The mens toilet is on the ground floor.

I bet BOD didn't have to put up with this. The second I close the door there's someone knocking on it.

January wrote: »
    I think it's the same in the Rotunda... The mens toilet is on the ground floor.

I was in the Rotunda last week and they had a toilet on the second floor (that's the maturity floor, right?), one side for staff and the other a unisex I think. The door and partition looked like they were thrown together by a handy man, did the job though!

Can't believe how close it's getting, 4 1/2 weeks at the most, can't believe it!!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I was in the Rotunda last week and they had a toilet on the second floor (that's the maturity floor, right?), one side for staff and the other a unisex I think. The door and partition looked like they were thrown together by a handy man, did the job though!

Can't believe how close it's getting, 4 1/2 weeks at the most, can't believe it!!

Second floor is labour and delivery to the left of the lift and NICU/Ultrasound and day unit to the right :)

• Advertisement

Place is a maze! I went right out the lift, left at the double doors that you need to be buzzed into, then right, then left and the toilet is just on the left before the ward...

Just in case anyone is looking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Spent a good 19 hours in the Rotunda last week and the only men's toilet I found was on the ground floor by the waiting room.

Place is a maze! I went right out the lift, left at the double doors that you need to be buzzed into, then right, then left and the toilet is just on the left before the ward...

Just in case anyone is looking :D

The double doors where you need to be buzzed in is the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. :)

Yeah that would be where the day ward and ultrasound unit is down that way. Makes sense to have one there too really because men waiting with their parents for ultrasounds.

We're actually in Drogheda, where they've loads of toilets :p , but had to transfer to Rotunda for a few days as they had no special care units and we thought the little fella was gonna come early.

It was quite a scare but we're 34 weeks tomorrow and he seems to have calmed down, so here's hoping he stays put for another while :)

We're actually in Drogheda, where they've loads of toilets :p , but had to transfer to Rotunda for a few days as they had no special care units and we thought the little fella was gonna come early.

It was quite a scare but we're 34 weeks tomorrow and he seems to have calmed down, so here's hoping he stays put for another while :)

Fingers crossed he stays put for another week or two! Hope everything is ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Guess I belong in here now. Had an early pregnancy scan today. 8 and a half weeks so very early days. But all looked good. Heartbeat already which is apparently a good sign.

It's our first. Just got married in August. Terrified doesn't even begin to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Guess I belong in here now. Had an early pregnancy scan today. 8 and a half weeks so very early days. But all looked good. Heartbeat already which is apparently a good sign.

It's our first. Just got married in August. Terrified doesn't even begin to cover it.

Congrats Skittlebrau, guess I belong in here too although we have only 6 weeks to wait until the new lodger arrives! Our first too, and we just got married in February.

It's been peaks and troughs between "ah, it'll be grand" and pure terror but mostly has gone ok so far. We've had a good few scans along the way and as you say always reassuring to hear a heartbeat. Pretty much have everything ready now and will be keeping the motor topped up with diesel from here on out - work Christmas party next weekend will be it for pints. Hope all goes well for you.

Oh, and plenty of toilets in Portiuncula (Ballinasloe).

Anyone know what that thing is that goes on the back of a buggy for toddlers to stand is called? :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anyone know what that thing is that goes on the back of a buggy for toddlers to stand is called? :/

Buggy board?

Advertisement