Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Don't hate me but our lad has been sleeping 8 hours a night for at least the last 3 months (he is 5 months now). We feed him at 11 and he doesn't normally wake until 7 (the odd time he will wake at 4 or so but not too often). We're such lucky parents:D

You are lucky........
    We're a 3 and a 4 year old here.
    More often than not I'm up with one or the other of them at night.
    Our little guy in particular likes to wander the house at 3-4 in the morning- but likes a glass of ice cold water. Hes not tall enough to reach the tap- or strong enough to open the bottle of water in the fridge- so its- Daddy- I want cold water.

As for our little girl- she likes to go to the toilet in the middle of the night- but wont go unless the light is on, and obviously, isn't tall enough to reach the switch...........

They're good kids though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You are lucky........
    We're a 3 and a 4 year old here.
    More often than not I'm up with one or the other of them at night.
    Our little guy in particular likes to wander the house at 3-4 in the morning- but likes a glass of ice cold water. Hes not tall enough to reach the tap- or strong enough to open the bottle of water in the fridge- so its- Daddy- I want cold water.

As for our little girl- she likes to go to the toilet in the middle of the night- but wont go unless the light is on, and obviously, isn't tall enough to reach the switch...........

They're good kids though.

Get her one of those night lights that turns into a torch??

No idea on the water one!

My 3 month old sleeps from 8.30pm usually until about 5am... no routine, he just started it from about a week or so after he was born...

The three older girls never slept through and the nearly 3 year old usually wakes once a night so I'm still not really getting a full nights sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My first was waken every hour looking for his dummy until 7 months old at which point I got loads of dummy's for his cot so he could find at least 1 now he sleeps all night.. My second is 4 months and sleeps all night since 3 weeks..
    This morning I'd to wake mine at half 8 for breakfast and baths so we could attend christening but on a normal morning when don't need to go anywhere there up at half 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Our seven-month-old usually sleeps from 9ish until 6/7ish, has done for a few months now ... and at weekends, he'll take his morning bottle and then go back to sleep again til 10ish.

He's a total lazyarse, but I'm not complaining! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

10 weeks to go til our first. Excited isn't the word. This one 3 months well have our little one at home. Madness how time flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm on 24hr call at the minute the girlfriend is full term 6 days to due date.

Can't wait our little bundle to arrive that along with a new dog arriving should make for good but hectic times.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

We were two weeks late. I was afraid to go across to the local for a pint and had my phone in my sock while playing football just in case.

Such an exciting. People told me to enjoy my sleep and free time before baby comes. I pass on this advice cause everything changes once baby and Mam come home from hospital. I get excited about them going up to bed so that I can check my emails and fill the dishwasher.

Best summer ever tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

We have five weeks left and I decided to go sober just in case, anytime we were out for a few social drinks people kept saying to herself, if he is in the pub give me a call and I will run you up to the hospital.
    I heard this so many times I thought f##k it I'm staying off it, the whole village would think I was a bad bastard and be gossiping
    So up yours locals lol.
    Had our first parenting class at Cumh Friday, first thing was talk amongst yourselves about various topics, so noobs talking to other noobs, great start.
    Didn't really learn anything, I hope the next one is better
    On a brighter note, the nursery is decorated and cot assembled, all clean and ready for the mountain of clothes we got from the next sale
    Now to wash them all in fairy non bio-- is this all a gimmick I don't remember non bio being around years ago
    36 days to go
    Duh dum duh dum (24 music lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

We have five weeks left and I decided to go sober just in case

I'm the same right now, 6 weeks out and just wouldn't enjoy those few drinks tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Now to wash them all in fairy non bio-- is this all a gimmick I don't remember non bio being around years ago
    The non bio has less chemicals in it than the biological. It is not as good for the clothes as they do not retain the bright colours as long but it is much better for the skin. It has been around as long as I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

May Jebus have mercy on you all...the jeans of Rawr have been split...(and the genes too I guess).

The OH is coming to the end of the first trimester with a probable due date sometime in March.

It feels good to finally be doing the whole 'parenting' gig, although it's a very *different* feeling. Kind of like a 'this-is-important-get-ready-now' feeling combined with an occasional 'meh, this'll be fine' attitude.

I'm not a total stranger to parenting, as I've been a constant guardian/parent to my OH's son from a previous marriage ever since he was 1 year old. He's 7 now, and I'm regularly trying to tell myself that I'll do fine with the new baby, as I have some experience of Years 2-7. I'm just missing the first year, birth, pregnancy and all of the involved fun therein.

Has anyone else here been in a similar boat as myself? Starting off as a 'step-parent' and then getting their own biological child from scratch later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

We have five weeks left and I decided to go sober just in case
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    I'm the same right now, 6 weeks out and just wouldn't enjoy those few drinks tbh.

We're 3 weeks left and tonight is probably the last night ill have a few bottles at home after work- my friday night routine. We were only discussing it today that its probably best not to be over the drink driving limit for awhile.

Its frightening how fast the last 8-9 months has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

9 days to the due date for she & me - and I've been sober since the august bank holiday, just in case!

peter1892 wrote: »
    9 days to the due date for she & me - and I've been sober since the august bank holiday, just in case!
    i am 5 weeks off it now, saving a fortune
    good job too, non stop spending for the new arrival
    due on the 15th and being induced so not long left for me lol
    i will either go on a mad one when the baby is born or get smashed on half a dozen pints :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Feel like I can post here now. Had our first scan this morning around 11 + 5 and all looking good so far, baby was very active couldn't believe how much movement there was, hands legs everything and the cheeky bugger even turned their back to us before appearing to go back to sleep. Feeling pretty fantastic right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

24 weeks tomorrow for us :) time doesn't be long going by!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

It goes even quicker when there born ours is nearly 5 weeks old it's been a whirlwind but a brilliant one at that.

week 39 for us
    hospital tomorrow, wife is hoping to be induced this week, having hip and pelvic bone problems
    fingers crossed it goes well whatever happens

week 39 for us
    hospital tomorrow, wife is hoping to be induced this week, having hip and pelvic bone problems
    fingers crossed it goes well whatever happens

Good luck!!

Week 38, on the home stretch. He's moving the right way too according to the doctors. Excited to say the least.

• Advertisement

Week 38, on the home stretch. He's moving the right way too according to the doctors. Excited to say the least.

when you say moving the right way, is the baby engaged ?
    our little one is bouncing on the cervix, must want to break out
    have you everything ready ?

He's moved down, not engaged as of yet but getting there. Everything has been ready for a few weeks now - go bag, pram, crib, moses basket, clothes, nappies, food ... we'll have probably forgotten something though :)

He's moved down, not engaged as of yet but getting there. Everything has been ready for a few weeks now - go bag, pram, crib, moses basket, clothes, nappies, food ... we'll have probably forgotten something though :)

We don't know what food to go for
    Sma Cow an gate the list goes on

How close to due date do fathers to be stop drinking? I don't go out much anyway but I was thinking maybe 4-6 weeks before due date? Last thing you want is the other half going into labour and you half cut!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    How close to due date do fathers to be stop drinking? I don't go out much anyway but I was thinking maybe 4-6 weeks before due date? Last thing you want is the other half going into labour and you half cut!

I stopped 7 weeks before

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How long is a piece of string? Junior could arrive at anytime. S/he will suit themselves

Yeah, probably better to be on the safe side. My birthday is in October so I might have a few and just leave it at that, it'd be 8 weeks or so to due date then

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string? Junior could arrive at anytime. S/he will suit themselves

Absolutely, I'm asking to get others opinions and find out what they did. Sure if I thought like that I wouldn't leave the GFs side for the entirety of the pregnancy in case junior arrived.

I'm off it about 6 weeks now with 2 weeks to go, maybe another 1-2 on top of that if he decides to extend his stay.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, I'm asking to get others opinions and find out what they did. Sure if I thought like that I wouldn't leave the GFs side for the entirety of the pregnancy in case junior arrived.
    Ah I know yeah. Wasn't trying to be smart. I was a lucky Dad to be in that we live withing waddling distance of Holles Street so didn't have to worry about it :D. Also no need to pack a bag or worry about parking. Mrs even ducked out a couple of times after she was admitted

Advertisement