Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Wow, His Dark Materials was one of my very favourite series as a young'un. Haven't re-read in a couple of years; must get back to them. Also, you've just reminded me to check the status of the Book of Dust, the follow-up...

Dang.

I've been checking that at leaast once a week since I started HDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Jako8 wrote: »
    I've been checking that at leaast once a week since I started HDM.

Lara's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North are also worth checking out, if you haven't done so already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Lara's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North are also worth checking out, if you haven't done so already :)

Yeap I'll read them after I finish the series, I made sure the local library got them in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Mumsy purchased the entire Chuck Palahniuk collection for me for Christmas and I WANT IT NOW. So to prepare myself for a coupla days of mind-blowing awesomeness I'm re-reading Rant, with bits of Hamlet in between, since I'm a filthy, filthy college dropout/pending LC repeater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭knockane_ali09

i have just finished handle with care - jodi picoult
    brillant book would definatly recomend....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Got loads of books to keep me busy in the train rides into college. Currently reading "Guns for Hire:The Inside Story of Freelance Soldiering" . It's a really interesting read and is shedding new stuff i wasn't aware involving the Irish Peace Keeping force placed in the Congo in 1974/5 and how they were at war with a French backed PMC containing several European citizens.

Course then reading about Executive Outcomes exploits in Sierra Leone and Angola is earth shattering in the way you think the way humanitarian responses should be organised in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,270 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Currently reading 'Ekaterinburg'. Bout the end of the Tsarist regime in Russia(1917/1918). Tis cool read, can see how much Russia changed in a short space of time.

Other books lined up are bout Russia too. Kinda for college, kinda that I love reading bout that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Parents got me "50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know".

I'd never have guessed they knew me so well <3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Parents got me "50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know".

I'd never have guessed they knew me so well <3

I have that, it's very interesting.
    I got the Maths one as well and that's what got me into maths. And now I'm doing maths in college! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

My **** life so far by Frankie Boyle. Nearly finished it, would reccommend it if you have a morbid sense of humor :D

9780007324491.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Impressionists.jpg

I was in Charlie Byrne's bookshop in Galway about two weeks before Christmas and I was looking at this book lamenting the fact that I couldn't afford it.

It was under the tree last night...my family rock!

Charlie Byrne's Bookshop has to be the best bookshop in the world. I've spent weeks looking around the place.

It really is amazing...the books are so cheap! I got Empire of the Sun and Death & Nightingales for €10...job. I love how it's so higildy pigildy aswell...you could spend hours in there.

There's another good bookshop up in dublin near Parnell street...I can't remember the name of it though.

EDIT: It's called Chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Ya:)...just remembered it there! I havn't been in Dublin in about a year but everytime I do go up I go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

creggy wrote: »
    My **** life so far by Frankie Boyle. Nearly finished it, would reccommend it if you have a morbid sense of humor :D

9780007324491.jpg

I was thinking of this today, might pick it up as a bit of light reading in between all my college schtuff I have to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

America Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Empire of the Sun

Seriously <3!!!

My wonderful Aunt got me this:

OTR_lo.jpg

Cant wait to tuck into it tonight perhaps, looks wonderfully interesting.

phlegms wrote: »
    Seriously <3!!!

I'm half way through itcool.gif So far so fantastic!

I'm half way through itcool.gif So far so fantastic!

Hopefully you haven't seen the movie yet. I mean the film is wonderful and all, but the book is so much more wonderful :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

belljar.jpg

Unbefrickinglievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

^ I bought The Bell Jar ages ago but haven't read it yet (bought an insane amount of books recently, so there's a backlog to get through) Loved doing Sylvia Plath for Leaving Cert English so I'm looking forward to reading it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have the complete collection of Plath's poetry (as compiled by Ted Hughs) but I haven't been ale to find the Bell Jar anywhere. I'm going hunting for it on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

6589AAEA18414FCAAC80F0B93183DA1E-500.jpg

Meh, it's ok. I got a few laughs out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I'm reading Netherland by Joseph O Neill. The obligatory book off the folks at Christmas :)

So far its ok, not liking the cricket references though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The Hell of It All- Charlie Brooker. I lub him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Becoming Holyfield by Evander Holyfield

Decent enough even though he loves his Mama a bit to much.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Read so far this week:

Fahrenheit 451 - Soon to be adapted into a movie by the director of The Shawshank Redemption & The Green Mile. Great book, loved it.

Reading:

1984 - Loving it, very similar to Fahrenheit.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

1984 is a fantastic book, read it last year, one of my favourites!

I'm reading SuperFreakonomics now. It's very random, and very interesting. The prologue details how drunk driving is four times more dangerous than drunk walking!

img_13792_superfreakonomics_big_667x500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Got a few Ross O'Carroll Kelly books for Christmas, they're focking hilarious.

Advertisement