Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Here From Ballinrobe?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Who's the ignorant fúcker who parks his Silver 02 Avensis on the left on the way in2 the town from Castlebar. On double yellow lines beside a major junction, I might add, the Garda station is on the same street, do they not notice? I suspect its the butcher as its parked right outside the shop. It causes a traffic problems every time I pass. Maybe we might name and shame him, show him this thread, cos it really got on my tits today?

/Rant over
    Post edited by yop on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

its usually up on the curb and 2 cars can pass fine but some people think it might be too narrow to make it.if a car and lorry meet someone has to give the right of way. bit of a pisser but since he owes the place sure he has to park somewhere! i only work in ballinrobe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

But its parked on double yellow lines.........Do Gardai get free meat in Ballinrobe, maybe he sells doughnuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Double yellow lines = No parking. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    But its parked on double yellow lines.........Do Gardai get free meat in Ballinrobe, maybe he sells doughnuts?

There are no gardaí now. They all got recalled in this latest Pork crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

Yes - you are right, it is the butchers car mainly. Sometimes, customers also park there. A mumber of year ago, maybe even 10 years ago at this stage, there were no double yellow lines on that side of the road. The council were planning on putting a double yellow line on the road, and some how the butcher got them not to put a double yellow line for about 3 car spaces outside his shop. So he is not actually parking on double yellow line!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

I pass this shop everyday and see the car there. To be honest where the car is parked 2 cars and even a lorry and a car can pass it fairly easily. It is the 98 fiat punto drivers who are afraid to scratch their wing mirror by passing it that hold up the traffic. And in the overall scheme of things this car has absolutely nothing to do with the sh*te traffic situation in Balinrobe.

So some advise when passing the shop:
    If driving towards Castlebar, keep to the left hand side of the road.
    If driving from Castlebar, keep a little to the right and this will prompt oncoming cars to move slightly to the left so 2 cars can easily pass. When you pass the car slow down (you probably will already be stuck in traffic) and admire the beautiful town of Balinrobe :eek:

So some advise when passing the shop:
    If driving towards Castlebar, keep to the left hand side of the road.
    If driving from Castlebar, keep a little to the right and this will prompt oncoming cars to move slightly to the left so 2 cars can easily pass.

I drive as part of my job, don't tell me how to do my job and I won't tell you how to sweep up.

Double yellow lines or not the fact of the matter is that this car causes an obstruction every day and he's too ignorant to park somewhere else, surely his shop has a back entrance. Also because he's parked there his customers feel they can also park there, maybe not as tight to the curb as the Avensis causing major problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

You should go in to the shop. He is funny in a weird way. I have heard of customers going in there and if the phone is ringing he'll tell them to "answer that f***ing thing". He actually sells top quality meat though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

I drive as part of my job, don't tell me how to do my job
    Well done, so do I. I suggest you get a change of job if this car parked here stresses you out so much. There is a damn sight worse on the roads than a car parked on the side of the street.

As I said before, this car has feck all to do with the majority of traffic problems in Balinrobe so lighten up

But it has, from what I've seen any time I've come through, is that this car is the one of the main causes of traffic problems, the traffic caught up at this car backs up the junction with the Claremorris rd.

Whats the legal distance Your allowed to park from a major junction? Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

You're not wrong about that. It might not be the main cause of the traffic problem but it sure as hell doesn't help. There must be an understanding of some kind with the cops. That kind of attitude from the powers that be is a lot of what is wrong with this country. Surely an accommodation could be found with the council to provide a free parking spot where traffic is not obstructed?

Also, I see another prominent Ballinrobe businessman is in dispute with the council over double yellow lines.:rolleyes:

Anyway, the recession has probably set back the bypass for another 10 years. We'll have flying cars before Ballinrobe is bypassed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭JOM34

I drive as part of my job, don't tell me how to do my job and I won't tell you how to sweep up.

Ignorant pr!ck's reply!!!!

As far as I'm aware....this parking arrangment has been agreed with the Co. Co. You'll notice the break in the yellow lines. Everyone locally is aware of an initial dispute between the shop owner & the co. co., the majority of locals backed the shop owner in this instance. This business has been at that location since pre 1950. There is no rear entrance/loading access for the shop. If you've got such an issue with it call into the shop. Reckon you'll come out with your tail between your legs!!!!

JOM34 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware....this parking arrangment has been agreed with the Co. Co. You'll notice the break in the yellow lines. Everyone locally is aware of an initial dispute between the shop owner & the co. co., the majority of locals backed the shop owner in this instance. This business has been at that location since pre 1950. There is no rear entrance/loading access for the shop. If you've got such an issue with it call into the shop. Reckon you'll come out with your tail between your legs!!!!

This is exactly what has this country the way it is........"Ah sure he's grand, Ah sure he's a nice old devil, Ah sure isn't it good enough".................................................

Bollox, this is unacceptable. He causes a major obstruction in the town every day and is too ignorant park somewhere proper, he's the one who's the Ignorant pr!ck

Edit: just did a google image search with "bridge street ballinrobe", guess what the 1st pic that jumped off the page was..........His fcuking Avensis. ROFL

bridge_st(128x97).jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

**shocked that ballinrobe even HAS the internet :)

didnt there used to be a car that was parked further down like just past the bridge that was ALWAYS there..i know it used to drive someone completely mental!

What about the rest of the people living on this street? Do they not have cars or is it just that they have some decency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭JOM34

If this is winding you up so bad I reckon you should pop in and have it out with him. Ranting on some obscure messageboard is hardly the way to solve your issue.

Maybe the people of Ballinrobe should leave the town, just once, just to see how traffic flows nicely in Castlebar, Westport and Ballina without some thick ignorant butcher holding things up cos he refuses to have a small walk to his shop each day. These towns have bigger parking restrictions and cause bigger inconvenience to shopkeepers. I could understand if it was short term with a delivery vehicle, shops have got to get deliveries, but he's obviously not delivering meat with an Avensis.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Probably more accurate to say traffic flows nicely in Westport except when some genius parks in the middle of the street and clogs things up.

Which happens a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 car driver boy

I live in Ballinrobe and have been onto the council about this driver and his parking and I might as well talk to a brick wall I would get more sense out of it . I would love the job of the traffic warden in this town at least I would have a easy job. I have seen him give out tickets to people on double yellows but not down bridge street I think this butcher is above the law:mad:

Maybe the people of Ballinrobe should leave the town, just once, just to see how traffic flows nicely in Castlebar, Westport and Ballina without some thick ignorant butcher holding things up cos he refuses to have a small walk to his shop each day. These towns have bigger parking restrictions and cause bigger inconvenience to shopkeepers. I could understand if it was short term with a delivery vehicle, shops have got to get deliveries, but he's obviously not delivering meat with an Avensis.
    I did leave the town once but foud the traffic much better and atleast the traffic wardens do there jobs in these towns not like the sargent maor of ballinrobe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Anybody here from Ballinrobe?

No,thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Slick Driver

Hi all to this to topic. Firstly the guy lives on the street so he dont drive to work and the the people from Ballinrobe here should know that if they know anything about their town. The kiss me arse self confessed professional driver has not mentioned anything about the stop sign at Stauntons corner he encounters after he passes this car where you turn right to go to Galway, where all the traffic backs up. Then after this sign you encounter another stop sign again at Supermacs which backs the traffic up New Street and sometimes back as far ast the church gates. This butcher earns his living by selling meat and you want him to lie down and let the council **** his business by stopping customers going into his shop. Everybody blames him for traffic in the town as he is visable target and with this in mind I challanger anyone to spend time with me and to see what and where the traffic backs up in the town which is mainly at Stauntons corner and supermacs.

read the western people this week it goes on about the lack of commitment from the traffic warden as to the car outside his shop if he lives there then he don't need the car parked outside his shop i know stautons corner i lived in that street so i know what the traffics like. also outside supermacs with the traffis building back up new st. I see the stop sign so what its the idiot that parks outside the shop and on the corners that cause the problems we have plenty of car parks in ballinrobe try getting round abbey st from the hill with cars parked outside the bookies then start to complain. the car is parked illegally so it should be moved or or given a ticket the law states that a car parked on doble yellows should not be parked there.

Car boy
    He is allowed to park there and so are customers as 15 minutes permitted parking sign on wall so traffic warden hands are tied. I know Liam (butcher) has got fines for parking there and still will park there so his customers wont be frightened away. If this car was not there you will only get to stop sign at Stauntons quicker and be backed up there. Car boy you accept traffic builds up at Stauntons and supermacs so why are you arguing re this parked car as no one car prove this car solely causes traffic problems in Ballinrobe. I have being in traffic jams back to race course on Castlebar road and after passing the said car I spend longer at Stauntons corner and when get by there join another back up at the dry cleaners. sO WHATS THE REAL PROBLEM WITH THIS CAR !!!!!!!!

i have a problem as this car is parked there all day not 15 minutes "AS THE SIGN SAY'S" so what if you get backed up at the corners thats what county engineers have done to this town making it a big roundabout one way in one way round one way out double yellow lines are the same in any country no parking full stop.I agree the traffic is bad comming in to ballinrobe but there was one day the car was not parked outside the shop but parked at the bowers and guess what no traffic jam I rest my case

I agree with the 15 minutes parking and he there longer than 15 minutes and explained why de does in last message. Please walk down high street outside the said shop and there are no double yellow lines so people can park there so your case busted. No lines can park !!!!!!

Its impossible for traffic to run free when this car not there due to the stop signs at stauntons and supermacs and please you go out and see this for yourself as I still live in the town unlike you who used too (you said earlier). This is most evident on day of the races when the Garda have high street cleared and a guard at stauntons and supermacs to keep traffic flowing so case closed. Next time you reply please state facts and not common assumptions of the general public !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Happy Christmass

slick driver I see you have made a comment about no lines maybe you should believe in santa as i went down bridge street and the car was there but so were the yellow lines not so clear but they are there maybe miracles do happen at Christmas.I do live in ballinrobe but not in glebe st so I do see plenty of traffic and by some choice i'm glad I don't, so I do state facts not common assumptions. And in the new year the council will be re linnigs bridge st. I agree that the traffic is not run free but while engineers stick their nose's in Ballinrobe it will never be roll on the bypass.Merry Christmas

The lnes that you see were covered over by the council and whatever they covered them with is fading away. Thus the lines are not official and covered by council two years ago. They even placed a sign on the wall permitting 15 minute parking so oplease walk down again look for sign this time. Also walk around town when traffic is busy and you will see excatly where traffic is being held up and its the places I mentioned in previous posts

to save this argument going any further I will be contacting the council to see what the real story is if I am wrong I am big enough to appoligise as I have been led down the wrong path by information from mayo coco but this with the lines being covered over they should get rid of the lines more permanently not just covering if this is the case and the sign on the wall I have seen but like I said 15 mins is not all day is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Double yellow lines were painted last year (i think) and subsequently obscured by tar. The council have also tried to paint yellow lines outside Cummins and have failed there too.

I think that some of the posters here should relax a little and think of about the need for local jobs which stem from this butcher and the butchers entitlement to earn and protect his own living too. Admittedly there may be a delay at peak time but otherwise there is no delay.

If the council wanted to make a court issue out of this, I'm sure they would have by now, but they may not have a leg to stand on. I am not sure, but dosn't the 7 year planning rule come into play here?

The upshot of all this is I would ask anyone who has a problem with the traffic situation in Ballinrobe to get on to the council and the councillors and apply pressure on getting the bypass built, this is the only real solution here. It is most certainly not the shopkeepers problem that the infastructure is not here, and overlooked during the tiger, in ballinrobe to meet the demands of impatient passersby.

Sadly funding is not available for the bypass until 2015 or sometime thereafter, so try meditation and let the man get on with earning a living.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement