Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Here From Ballinrobe?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 car driver boy

hi Oldtree I don't believe these lines were redone last year and not outside cummins there are plenty of parking spaces in new st so why cant they put car parking outside butchers I would be happy for tempoary parking for this matter but my argument is why should people be allowed to park on double yellow lines when other people are not allowed ( not myself at the moment)
    I agree if the council have a problem then they would of taken this further action but as I said I have wrote to the council and now wait their reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Oldtree wrote: »
    Sadly funding is not available for the bypass until 2015 or sometime thereafter, so try meditation and let the man get on with earning a living.

We have the NRA in Ballina, and can't even get a road done around here unless we have a local politician in the cabinet. Yet they throw money east of the shannon like confetti. Useless Shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hello to you too, I would bet money on the reply being an acknowledgement, €1 are you on?

The double yellow lines outside the butchers were painted recently, but my "recently" may in fact be a number of years ago! :D
    and then "obscured" rather quickly with black paint/tar...... ;)

But I am not sure if there were double yellow lines there to begin with :confused:
    so the butcher may be in the right fighting his corner with the much loved establishment that is MCC.

I have heard that the council line painters pulled up outside cummins a few weeks ago to paint lines and were quickly moved on by you know who!?!?!? :rolleyes:

But at least the money has been spent on the public consultation as to where the bypass should be built, and that now allows the planning department to let people build their houses, whatever about the actual bypass itself. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Slick Driver

Hi Oldtree and very logic explaination and people forget we live in a town and not onta dual carriage way as said to me lately. Locals want to get rid of parking on our streets to faciliate people passing throught our town and deprive locals of being able to pull up our cars at shops and run in for a message or whatever. When all this parking is gone people in here fighting to get rid of same will be crying about lack of parking. I travel up to Dublin alot for work and can remember Moate town with its big wide streets and parked cars not obstructing the through traffic and yet still you could be caught in a traffic jam miles outside the town before the by pass opened.
    Regardless of lines covered outside jennings shop or not, the council still have not removed the permitted 15 minutes parking sign and sure they would have if parking was not permitted and this saga is going on for eight years now. The council promised to devolope car parking at the old derlict building beside them at a public meeting 8 years ago and still have not kept their promise.
    I am sure lines were put down outside cummins and will check as know of people working there.
    Parking is essential for the shop keepers and cumtomers alike as onvience for everyone and not one has agreed with the problem being at Stauntons and supermacs. If the council are so worried about the free flowing traffic in Ballinrobe why the hell did the bring the foot path so far out onto the road at supermac junction which makes it so hard for 2 cars to pass at the same time. ie 1 to kilmaine and other to the neale and i dont think they have any plans to widen this junction. Please give feed back on this comment

I think the councils adgenda was to create a continential type square opposite supermacs and then that would be followed with a one way system around ballinrobe, which sounds sensible. No need to remove any of the parking spaces in front of the shops and a nice public space (as seen on jaunts to the continent).

But in my opinion this was done (as usual) on the cheap. The council did not set up traffic lights at the various junctions, which would compliment/allow for/control the actual flow of traffic. All they did was change one stop sign, which made a mess of things as everybody was used to the way it was (I feel this was this was dangerous) and so the council then changed the sign back and that was the end of their great effort to solve the traffic problem here.

4 sets of traffic lights at the 4 central junctions, would go a long way to easing the backup of peak time traffic in ballinrobe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

4 sets of traffic lights at the 4 central junctions, would go a long way to easing the backup of peak time traffic in ballinrobe.

...............and enforced double yellows on bridge street outside the butchers, would go a long way to solving all the problems

Ballinrobe is not alone, all major towns in Mayo have been revamped to allow for smoother passing traffic. The roads are much busier, most families have 2 vehicles. Look at every other town in Mayo.
    Coming originally from Charlestown which lost its parking on The Square years ago, I've seen what it does. Ok the business people were very upset at first, My Father included, even revolted and staged a protest at the time. But the town was actually better for it, never any traffic problems afterwards, except for on a Sunday evening at 6 with the students travelling by bus back to colleges Nationwide (6 or 8 busses at once as its on a crossroads).
    Times have changed now completely once again with the N5 bypass with only Sligo/Galway traffic passing through the town, there's even talk of them changing the right of way now to the Sligo/Galway traffic............Life goes on.

nonsense.

The actual impact of the butchers car on traffic is almost nil given that there is always a que further up the hill and round the corner to the aforementioned stop sign.

The actual impact of lost business to any business in ballinrobe has wider negative implications for the local economy, than any benifit to said local economy from through traffic.

Please see :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nice Uncle P

i qoute We have the NRA in Ballina, and can't even get a road done around here unless we have a local politician in the cabinet. Yet they throw money east of the shannon like confetti. Useless Shower.

Well compare the population difference! please think and look at population statistics before coming up with such parish pump politics rubbish. THis decade has seen unprecedented State infrastructural investment in co mayo, eg the Knock/Claremorris bypass and the Swinford/Charlestown bypass, as well as the new west Road to Croagh Patrick and the improvements to the Newport-Castlebar Road.
    Having a minister at cabinet level is imaterial. Co Clare (which has no senior cabinet minister either) is west of the Shannon, look at the completed Ennis Bypass, and the Gort bypass and the Shannon River tunnell under construction. It simply boils down to the population density of the region the area is in.

"It simply boils down to the population density of the region the area is in."

well that explains why the roads and infastructure in mayo are so cronic, all the money has been spent pro rata somewhere other than lovely Mayo!

The census of 2006:-

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

State 4,239,848

Dublin 1,187,176 28% (92,227 hectares)

Leinster 2,295,123 54%

Mayo 123,839 3% (558,605 hectares 6 times the size of Dublin)

Mayo is the third largest county in Ireland.

http://www.cso.ie/studentscorner/statsfactsmayo.htm
    http://www.cso.ie/studentscorner/statsfactsdublin.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

[
    **shocked that ballinrobe even HAS the internet :)

Wow, you people have managed to get 3 pages out of an illegally parked car. Glad I don't live in Ballinrobe.

• Advertisement

Svalbard wrote: »
    [

Wow, you people have managed to get 3 pages out of an illegally parked car. Glad I don't live in Ballinrobe.

Yes, and the shocking thing is the people of the town actually posted here to commend this guys courageous crusade against the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 icanchange49

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Who's the ignorant fúcker who parks his Silver 02 Avensis on the left on the way in2 the town from Castlebar. On double yellow lines beside a major junction, I might add, the Garda station is on the same street, do they not notice? I suspect its the butcher as its parked right outside the shop. It causes a traffic problems every time I pass. Maybe we might name and shame him, show him this thread, cos it really got on my tits today?

/Rant over

I was told that somebody was going on here about the ways I'm parking. That's my car and I'll park it where I like!!!

I was told that somebody was going on here about the ways I'm parking. That's my car and I'll park it where I like!!!

Ok, if its really You, it was definitely parked on double yellows on friday when I passed, the back left tyre was sitting on the lines. Why do You feel you're beyond laws? You force cars to cross the white line just to pass Your car.

Svalbard wrote: »
    Yes, and the shocking thing is the people of the town actually posted here to commend this guys courageous crusade against the council.

It has already been pointed out that there is a persons living at stake here and it should come as no surprise that there is strong local support for that issue. It is good to note that the council's in your neck of the woods never put a foot wrong..... whereas here in Mayo they can be imperfect at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 icanchange49

Ok, if its really You, it was definitely parked on double yellows on friday when I passed, the back left tyre was sitting on the lines. Why do You feel you're beyond laws? You force cars to cross the white line just to pass Your car.

Oh blowdry. btw I'm not;)

lol raof lol :D:D:D;)

It has already been pointed out that there is a persons living at stake here and it should come as no surprise that there is strong local support for that issue. It is good to note that the council's in your neck of the woods never put a foot wrong..... whereas here in Mayo they can be imperfect at times.

So its 2009 and JM Synge's opinion of people from the west of Ireland still rings true.

-Mistrust for the rule of law - check

-Support for someone who is clearly breaking the law, elevating him to 'workaday' hero status - check.

'Strong local support for that issue' - oh, stick it to the man!!!!

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Rule of law! I think you might mean "law onto themselves" when it comes to the council or I might cry "what law"

See the backing documentation for this planning application for a quarry on a limestone pavement.

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=061588&la=1

Incomplete application

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=07166&la=1

Refused

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/228086.htm

Refused. Read the boards decision.

It might interest you to know that a complaint was lodged with the council planning enforcement unit in May 2005 by the Irish Concrete Federation and a warning letter issued to cease works. Works did not cease and no action was than taken. Activity continues and No action has yet been taken by said council. What of the limestone pavement protected in 1992 under EU law?!?!?!? law?

Mistrust for the rule of council law - check

Support for someone who is not breaking the law - check.

Strong local support for that issue of a man umong other men (and women) who will not be stood on by official eejets who do not discuss plans with the common person.

It is so sad that this council is like it is.

Rule of law! I think you might mean "law onto themselves" when it comes to the council or I might cry "what law"

See the backing documentation for this planning application for a quarry on a limestone pavement.

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=061588&la=1

Incomplete application

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=07166&la=1

Refused

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/228086.htm

Refused.

It might interest you to know that a complaint was lodged with the council planning enforcement unit in May 2005 by the Irish Concrete Federation and a warning letter issued to cease works. Works did not cease and no action was than taken. Activity continues and No action has yet been taken by said council. What of the limestone pavement protected in 1992 under EU law?!?!?!? law?

Mistrust for the rule of council law - check

Support for someone who is not breaking the law - check.

Strong local support for that issue of a man umong other men (and women) who will not be stood on by official eejets who do not discuss plans with the common person.

It is so sad that this council is like it is.

Uh-hmmmmmmmm

Yup

Not really sure what your county council conspiracy theory has to do with anything.

Run out there and check if he's still illegally parked. He is? He shouldn't be.

I was just trying to put in perspective that a car parked on (debatable) yellow lines is not as large an issue as the destruction of a large area of limestone pavement. Which is more illegal, and why would you expect the council to deal with a minor issue such as the car when they will not deal with the quarry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The car parked there has little or no affect on the traffic problems in Ballinrobe. If you lived in the town you would know that.

Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I was just trying to put in perspective that a car parked on (debatable) yellow lines is not as large an issue as the destruction of a large area of limestone pavement. Which is more illegal, and why would you expect the council to deal with a minor issue such as the car when they will not deal with the quarry?

You need to get out more to be honest! :eek:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Whatever about that parked car, the junction just above it officially gets my vote for the worst in Mayo, if not the country. It's a complete bloody fiasco. Haven't they heard of traffic lights?

donmeister wrote: »
    You need to get out more to be honest! :eek:

Having had a look at the frequency, number and quality of your other posts on Boards.ie, it would appear that I am getting out a bit more often than you! :rolleyes:
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Whatever about that parked car, the junction just above it officially gets my vote for the worst in Mayo, if not the country. It's a complete bloody fiasco. Haven't they heard of traffic lights? :

It dosn't make a lot of sense does it. I guess they are waiting for the new Ballinrobe development plan before they will think of putting in traffic lights. But when that happens I bet you they don't take traffic flow into consideration and royally F it up. :p

It dosn't make a lot of sense does it. I guess they are waiting for the new Ballinrobe development plan before they will think of putting in traffic lights. But when that happens I bet you they don't take traffic flow into consideration and royally F it up. :p
    Probably. While I'm ranting about Ballinrobe traffic: what's with having N-road traffic forced to yield to local traffic twice on its way through a town?

I have no idea, its been like that since I arrived with only one bit of fiddleing a while back that was soon changed back to the way things are. I guess some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to balance out the yielding :confused:, which is why all 4 main roads into ballinrobe have to stop/yield at a junction at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Must'nt be much to do in Ballinrobe if a post on double yellow parking has spawned a 4 page thread. :P
    I kid I kid.
    But seriously I think you should call batman in to deal with the rogue butcher. Hate ignorant assholes that have no respect for other people when they park in such a dangerous place. Is it on a really busy junction or something or is it just people splitting hairs?

Asmodean wrote: »
    Is it on a really busy junction or something or is it just people splitting hairs?
    It's on the main Castlebar-Galway road, on a fairly narrow street.

It's not the biggest traffic problem in Ballinrobe, but it's a bloody nuisance.

No car there at 5.30 today and the butcher could be seen in the shop. Did he hear ye yalking about him and get very afraid??? :eek::p

Lets try for 5 pages......................

• Advertisement

No car there at 5.30 today and the butcher could be seen in the shop. Did he hear ye yalking about him and get very afraid??? :eek::p

Lets try for 5 pages......................

It was there yesterday when I passed, so unless he suddenly had a guilty conscience

Edit, 5 pages :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement