Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Here From Ballinrobe?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Asmodean wrote: »
    Must'nt be much to do in Mayo if a post on double yellow parking has spawned a 5 page thread. :P
    Oldtree wrote: »
    Lets try for 5 pages......................

We can get this into double-figures easily :p

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Dynamo Kev wrote: »
    We can get this into double-figures easily :p

There's still a long way to go to hit the double figures but almost 3,000 views is pretty impressive.

Anyway, here's my observation on this subject as I have to pass that "lovely" avensis morning and evening every day:

1) It's a bit of a squeeze passing depending on what's coming the other way but if it's another car it's ok............if it's the guinness delivery day for the pub accross the road it's no joke. It becomes a chicane and you have to take your chances.

2) Are people really so lazy these days that they can't park around the corner and walk 200 yards to the shop. It's a sad indictment of our society that it could seriously put a man out of business :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

if the gardai (who are stationed just down the road i might add) or traffic warden dont do anything people are going to park there. If they gave out tickets it would stop. wish they would bypass that town anyway, wouldnt be hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Binka wrote: »
    It's a sad indictment of our society that it could seriously put a man out of business :eek:

its not saying much for his business either

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

murfie wrote: »
    if the gardai (who are stationed just down the road i might add) or traffic warden dont do anything people are going to park there. If they gave out tickets it would stop. wish they would bypass that town anyway, wouldnt be hard to do.

The bypass route was decided last year after a long consultation period but there's no money to even think about starting it until 2011. Since then, there have been more cutbacks so we're probably looking at 2031 :rolleyes:...so until then we'll have to put up with the Avensis chicane.

You never know, he might buy a new car one day and then we could start a new thread ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Binka wrote: »
    You never know, he might buy a new car one day and then we could start a new thread ;)

No point, wing mirrors are cheap for 5 year old Toyota's, he's not had one in a while.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Not so cheap for brand-new Caddys, so don't even think about it (unless you're driving your own car) :p

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Not so cheap for brand-new Caddys, so don't even think about it (unless you're driving your own car) :p

Its ok, I have the decency to park properly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 killerqueen

2) Are people really so lazy these days that they can't park around the corner and walk 200 yards to the shop. It's a sad indictment of our society that it could seriously put a man out of business :eek:[/quote]

The avensis is belonging to the man the ownes the butcher and lives above it and as far as I'm aware he is allowed park there as it's in front of his shop. Also he has young children so his wife parks at their front door. I know it causes major hassle but most of the time he has two wheels up on the path and it's well in off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

2) :

The avensis is belonging to the man the ownes the butcher and lives above it and as far as I'm aware he is allowed park there as it's in front of his shop. Also he has young children so his wife parks at their front door. I know it causes major hassle but most of the time he has two wheels up on the path and it's well in off the road.

So its now legal to park a vehicle on a footpath.....? Pedestrians and those wheeling buggies now have to walk on the roadway to get past the Avensis..parking on a footpath is to me the same as illegally parking in a disabled parking space.

• Advertisement

signostic wrote: »
    So its now legal to park a vehicle on a footpath.....? Pedestrians and those wheeling buggies now have to walk on the roadway to get past the Avensis..parking on a footpath is to me the same as illegally parking in a disabled parking space.

Even parked on the footpath cars would have to cross the white line to pass the car. Car shouldn't be there..........end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Alas poor Yorick, i knew him well............ nay, it goes on and on......

Clearly there is a special dispensation in this case or there would have been a court case by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can't really see the problem at all, if the man has an issue with the council so be it. I have never had a problem getting by, anyone who does maybe shouldn't be driving in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 kevweed

i go to dump called youthreach lol :) i from castlebar:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 kevweed

what do you think of youthreach ???????????

Saw a Man yesterday having to dismount his bicycle and lift it onto the footpath to push it past this Avensis. Has the butcher no conscience? :eek:

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Saw a Man yesterday having to dismount his bicycle and lift it onto the footpath to push it past this Avensis. Has the butcher no conscience? :eek:

No one cycles up that hill so the man getting off his bicycle is the norm. The reason he got on the footpath was to push his bicycle up the hill. That makes sense to me and I don't see why the butcher's conscience would even come into it tbh.

No one cycles up that hill so the man getting off his bicycle is the norm. The reason he got on the footpath was to push his bicycle up the hill. That makes sense to me and I don't see why the butcher's conscience would even come into it tbh.

He would have made it much further up the hill before dismounting, maybe to the top, (he looked the athletic type) if this Avensis wasn't in his way. Its just plain fcuking ignorant, there's just no excuse for hindering traffic, Whats stopping him parking round the corner?

He would have made it much further up the hill before dismounting, maybe to the top, (he looked the athletic type) if this Avensis wasn't in his way. Its just plain fcuking ignorant, there's just no excuse for hindering traffic, Whats stopping him parking round the corner?

I'm sure if he wanted to make it further up the hill he would have continued cycling up it. I don't really see how the car parked on the side of the road had anything whatsoever to do with his progress up the hill. If this issue is getting to you why don't you just pop into the butcher and ask him what the story is? As for parking around the corner he has an agreement with the council so why shouldn't he take advantage of that agreement?

I'm sure if he wanted to make it further up the hill he would have continued cycling up it. I don't really see how the car parked on the side of the road had anything whatsoever to do with his progress up the hill......

Eh? He couldn't as there were cars queued up in both directions, the ones travelling up the hill had to cross the white line to pass the Avensis and therefore had to wait until the cars coming down yielded their right of way to let them pass it, no space left for the poor cyclist.

Why do You continuously back him up? Whether or not he has the right to park here is not the issue. It continuously causes problems but he's too fcuking ignorant to care. Why is it a big issue to park around the corner where its safe and unobtrusive?

• Advertisement

Eh? He couldn't as there were cars queued up in both directions, the ones travelling up the hill had to cross the white line to pass the Avensis and therefore had to wait until the cars coming down yielded their right of way to let them pass it, no space left for the poor cyclist.

Why do You continuously back him up? Whether or not he has the right to park here is not the issue. It continuously causes problems but he's too fcuking ignorant to care. Why is it a big issue to park around the corner where its safe and unobtrusive?

I only back him up because I do not think it's that big a deal and I have been up and down that hill on foot, bike and car thousands of times. While his car being parked there does often require inbound traffic having to slow or stop I don't see this as being that big a deal and it certainly has no effect on the traffic problems associated with the town, that problem lies at the top of the hill, glebe street and cornmarket. That is a fact. In fact, cars having to stop here probably allows for better traffic flow in all directions at the top of the hill instead of a more constant stream of traffic (often a nightmare). He has his reasons and there's an agreement with the council so I'm happy with that.

I agree he may be too ignorant to care but it's just not a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

What is the arrangement/agreement with the council?

Oldtree wrote: »
    What is the arrangement/agreement with the council?

No idea but heard that through the grapevine (could be wrong) and would think there must be some arrangement in place for him to be able to park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grellan1

The butchers car parked on the hill pales into insignificance compared to the parking shenigans on mart days up at the mart.
    There is no attempt at politeness or consideration for other road users.... its downright dangerous and there is sure to be a death there at that crossroad, if there has not already been one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jjh99

got some choice words today when i blew the horn out of temper,from a younger prick that also works inside there,i pass there every day and it is really annoying,he will be sorry...

jjh99 wrote: »
    got some choice words today when i blew the horn out of temper,from a younger prick that also works inside there,i pass there every day and it is really annoying,he will be sorry...

You wouldn't last 2 minutes with that 'younger *****'.

Actually you wouldn't last 10 seconds. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jjh99

ouch did we hit a nerve there skan.you seem very interested in defending these butchers.keep your mirrors in gud lad,,,

Forgot I took these snaps a few weeks ago during some roadworks in the town, see the ignorant fcuker doesn't think twice about blocking a men at work sign :eek:

97725.JPG
    97726.JPG

jjh99 wrote: »
    ouch did we hit a nerve there skan.you seem very interested in defending these butchers.keep your mirrors in gud lad,,,

They don't need my defending. I just find it ridiculous that you go saying that 'he will be sorry' because you blew your horn at him and got a mouthful back. What did you expect? How will he be sorry by the way, I'm intrigued by the mystery of your vengeance. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

its been raining solid for a month and the road is bone dry, did ballinrobe escape the bad weather, if so i wouldnt be to put out about the car and thank ur blessings!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement