Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice Final (IRL) 08/12/08

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Brenda_244763t.jpg

Yyyeeeeuuuucccckkkkkk yuck yuck yuck, even the six-figure-salary wouldn't make up for that! Eeewwww ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

As has already been mentioned on Boards, I knew who would win from last week, looking at the angle of Bill's head when he said 'you're hired'. It was easy to see he was looking at Brenda. Such a giveaway...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Poor editing from TV3. They could have flipped the image to make it look like Nicky was the winner. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

aoibhebree wrote: »
    Brenda_244763t.jpg

Yyyeeeeuuuucccckkkkkk yuck yuck yuck, even the six-figure-salary wouldn't make up for that! Eeewwww ...

Sexual herassment lawsuit kthnxbai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

I'm also pretty sure on the UK version Alan Sugar always explains on the last episode what exactly the role he has lined up for the apprentice is, I didnt hear that from Bill. Guess she'll just turn up on her first day and 'shure.. we'll find something for you to do, let me see now... hhmm..ammm...hmmm'

From running her own business to working for Bill on good knows what rubbish job, i can't see her sticking at it, and I'm sure she'll keep the bridal business going at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

cbyrne wrote: »
    I'm also pretty sure on the UK version Alan Sugar always explains on the last episode what exactly the role he has lined up for the apprentice is, I didnt hear that from Bill. Guess she'll just turn up on her first day and 'shure.. we'll find something for you to do, let me see now... hhmm..ammm...hmmm'

From running her own business to working for Bill on good knows what rubbish job, i can't see her sticking at it, and I'm sure she'll keep the bridal business going at the same time.

I think that it is already closed. According to the spolier posted yesterday on page 2 of this thread from imax, he said that Brenda won cos her shop had sales and is now closed! I am not sure how true this is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

robo wrote: »
    I think that it is already closed. According to the spolier posted yesterday on page 2 of this thread from imax, he said that Brenda won cos her shop had sales and is now closed! I am not sure how true this is though.

She said on the Ray Foley show 5 minutes ago that manager is going to run it while shes working for Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

jasonb wrote: »
    As has already been mentioned on Boards, I knew who would win from last week, looking at the angle of Bill's head when he said 'you're hired'. It was easy to see he was looking at Brenda. Such a giveaway...

J.

It was the opposite actually. :rolleyes:

Anyway, lets get back to Looney bashing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

BolBill wrote: »
    It was the opposite actually. :rolleyes:

Anyway, lets get back to Looney bashing :)

Good Call. I cant FCUKING STAND HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well overall I enjoyed the series but it really had faults.

Firstly, ads, they were just too many breaks, ruined the flow of the show.

Then more ads, as every week's task was a huge product placement for the company involved.

The challenges were just awful. Selling Garmin's at the weekend to people going to hurling matches.....people going to Croker are going there for sport and beer....they don't carry €400 with them and then want to carry a sat nav box around for the day. Also, if you were walking down Dun Laoghaire pier on a Sunday afternoon would you hand over €400 to someone selling Garmins from a car boot?

None of the challenges forced the candidtates to be innovative.....on the BBC show they would have to launch new products for new companies and they were very challenging.

Bill's inconsistencies......he sacked one girl (Joanne?) for breaking rules by getting family to help out on the recycling challenge and then the next week lambasted Orla for not going to Glendalough to sell Garmins despite her ringing up and being told she was not allowed to sell there.

Also, the big deal over Buy'N' Fly....how could anyone just using Google in a short timeframe do a full legal search on a trademark name? That's why we have solicitors.

The editing drove me crazy.....every week including the final,I knew who was sacked as they previewed it each week by showing Bill saying 'You're fired' and you could see what direction he was looking.....for god sake just get him to look straight on at a camera and do a mock 'You're fired' each week!

Also, the 2 aids, Brian, sponsored by Regaine Hair Recovery and Jackie, co-sponsored by, L'Oreal, Max Factor, Botox & Plastic Surgeons of Ireland really contributed very little to the show. They just criticised everything that was done and never suggested what should be done.

Whilst I think Brenda was the overall winner I don't see how asking someone to arrange a raffle, book a z-list celeb and go begging is really showing great business skills.

Also, the final 'Where it went Wrong' episode was awful. No new clips just a 'highlights' or 'lowlights' package.

Why couldn't they have a panel show with interviews with Bill and the winner, like BBC do?

I really feel if TV3 could get their act together and give it a bigger show feel with less reliance on advertising.....more challenging task where candidates create a business from scratch rather than just do promotions and PR, and more in depth analysis afterwards then it could be a winner.

Also, for Season 2, please do something about the Star Trek door, that cracked me up every week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

forbesii wrote: »
    Good Call. I cant FCUKING STAND HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What was with her hair? Did she have Irish dancing classes to go to afterwards?

What was with her hair? Did she have Irish dancing classes to go to afterwards?

Dunno. Just wish she'd shut her gob. Seems to have an opinion on everything and everyone. Proof of that is I don't even know what she does or who she works for but I always hear what she has to say about everything. I think she's one of those "go to" people for any documentary who will act as a talking head and spew there opinions out all over the place.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, the big deal over Buy'N' Fly....how could anyone just using Google in a short timeframe do a full legal search on a trademark name? That's why we have solicitors.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=buy+n+fly&btnG=Search&meta=

Thats not too hard now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Well overall I enjoyed the series but it really had faults.

Firstly, ads, they were just too many breaks, ruined the flow of the show.

edit...

!

OK you really are nit picking now. Unfortunately ad breaks are a part of life.

I agree about the tasks though, but I think it was the candidates that didn't perform or stretch themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

forbesii wrote: »

No it's not hard, but she was tasked to come up with a concept and that's what she did.

Then when a concept is moving onto a reality stage then you do your full searches and legal requirements.

Same as when she was criticised for omitting Appleby's contact details. Again that could have been amended after, but they made a huge deal out of it.

Don't get me wrong, no fan of Orla, she was really limited, but some things were just unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hmmm, people are giving out about the quality of the candidates in this series - but there were a good few cowboys in the British one as well. Only the American one seemed to have a mixture of either highly qualified people or genuine self made business people.

I think the biggest problem was the choice of Bill Cullen. It's hard enough to take someone seriously who wants to get a career through reality television, so I think you need an industry figure who you would never get a chance to work with in real life. Trump may be a twat, but you can't really deny his business empire.

So - who would be a good boss then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

eoin wrote: »
    Hmmm, people are giving out about the quality of the candidates in this series - but there were a good few cowboys in the British one as well. Only the American one seemed to have a mixture of either highly qualified people or genuine self made business people.

I think the biggest problem was the choice of Bill Cullen. It's hard enough to take someone seriously who wants to get a career through reality television, so I think you need an industry figure who you would never get a chance to work with in real life. Trump may be a twat, but you can't really deny his business empire.

So - who would be a good boss then?

I think if Michael O Leary was looking for an apprentice it would be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,171 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Someone like Sean Fitzpatrick - who built Anglo Irish from the ground up. I think he is retired from an active role in the company now though, don't know what job he could offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Thank God thats over ;)

Lets be honest Brenda was the only one who displayed any sort of gumption or ability consistently throughout the show. She had the "airport" moment but still managed to get through due to the ineptitude of the other team on the day but other than that did well.The fact that Nikki got to the final says it all. Her tangoed look was dropped for the final I see, it was like Michael Jackson before and after :p
    The fact that Cullen brought her that far says a lot about him and the show. She was a burbling wreck for the most part and displayed no discernable organisational skills or business acumen. Lets see her sell property in todays market...oh wait, hold on she wasnt a "deposit taker" was she? She was involved in the marketing and strategy side of it :rolleyes:

The interviews will be remembered for a so called media "mogul" describing Stuart as "World Class", this is the same eejit that tried to sell Garmins with an opening gambit of "How are ya fixed?" :rolleyes: I could go on !

Wasn't it amazing that the final task was based around sales from a SHOP. Did the penny actually drop with Cullen etc. that this is how they should have performed the Garmin task instead of having people fannying around Dublin in one of his cars :confused: Common sense prevailed for once.

FACT - Ray Shah is not a celebrity.
    FACT - The mute was only given a speaking part in the show in the last 3 shows.
    FACT - Jackie wouldn't get a job on reception in most places nevermind being given a key role as Cullen's "eyes and ears".

I'm not sure if Brenda was crying at the end because she won or because the realisation that she was going to have to work for doddery Cullen. Interesting to see how he gets on with managing her without a director shouting stuff in his ear :D

A terrible slight on the Irish TV reporting media that not one person I heard on radio / TV or press had a bad thing to say about the show. Hard to believe that every single broadcaster and writer thought it wasn't worthy of criticism.

No it's not hard, but she was tasked to come up with a concept and that's what she did.

Then when a concept is moving onto a reality stage then you do your full searches and legal requirements.

Same as when she was criticised for omitting Appleby's contact details. Again that could have been amended after, but they made a huge deal out of it.

Don't get me wrong, no fan of Orla, she was really limited, but some things were just unfair.

My point is she said she googled it and found nothing. If you type 'buy 'n fly' or any variation of it, those are the results you get, so she didn't look very hard. She was a complete fraud anyway. Just tried to come across as more professional than she was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think it's fair to say the best candidate won. The final task was at least interesting. I could have done without Claire Byrne featuring with faint praise, however.
    They should have kept that gimp Brian mute as well. All I got from him last night was "oh oh oh it's so tight Id hate to call it" in some effort to hype things up. Shut it you ******************

Any more swearing, masked or otherwise and you can have a nice long break from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

But surely the point of the tasks is they get them right, that details like that are important in the short time scale. It's fast moving and they are under pressure. If they could use the excuse "Ah sure we'd fix that later" then all the tasks would be (more) pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

The REALLY interesting show would be the fly on the wall doc of Brenda's year as the apprentice - the human interest angle of closing down or selling her business, moving family to Dublin, how the relationship between her and Dr. Bill with the beautiful legs develops.....

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Any more swearing, masked or otherwise and you can have a nice long break from here.

A tad harsh there surely, then again its your job to over react to any comments.

BolBill wrote: »
    A tad harsh there surely, then again its your job to over react to any comments.
    I enforce the charter and policy here.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Thank God thats over ;)

Lets be honest Brenda was the only one who displayed any sort of gumption or ability consistently throughout the show. She had the "airport" moment but still managed to get through due to the ineptitude of the other team on the day but other than that did well.The fact that Nikki got to the final says it all. Her tangoed look was dropped for the final I see, it was like Michael Jackson before and after :p
    The fact that Cullen brought her that far says a lot about him and the show. She was a burbling wreck for the most part and displayed no discernable organisational skills or business acumen. Lets see her sell property in todays market...oh wait, hold on she wasnt a "deposit taker" was she? She was involved in the marketing and strategy side of it :rolleyes:

The interviews will be remembered for a so called media "mogul" describing Stuart as "World Class", this is the same eejit that tried to sell Garmins with an opening gambit of "How are ya fixed?" :rolleyes: I could go on !

Wasn't it amazing that the final task was based around sales from a SHOP. Did the penny actually drop with Cullen etc. that this is how they should have performed the Garmin task instead of having people fannying around Dublin in one of his cars :confused: Common sense prevailed for once.

FACT - Ray Shah is not a celebrity.
    FACT - The mute was only given a speaking part in the show in the last 3 shows.
    FACT - Jackie wouldn't get a job on reception in most places nevermind being given a key role as Cullen's "eyes and ears".

I'm not sure if Brenda was crying at the end because she won or because the realisation that she was going to have to work for doddery Cullen. Interesting to see how he gets on with managing her without a director shouting stuff in his ear :D

A terrible slight on the Irish TV reporting media that not one person I heard on radio / TV or press had a bad thing to say about the show. Hard to believe that every single broadcaster and writer thought it wasn't worthy of criticism.

Excellent post. Surprised the mods havent warned you for having an opinion. Cullen came across as the Catch 22 boss, if you did something you were wrong, if you didnt you were wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Get off your high horse, BolBill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I thought it was a good show - very entertaining.

Bill has redeemed himself somewhat in my eyes - he was close to tears at the end of the show (just after he says it's very emotional.) It shows he is human and probably a nice enough person.

He definitely a bit thick though, and I find myself quite amazed that he has done so well for himself. As the businessman he was okay, as he was very entertaining (for the wrong reasons, perhaps.)

I look forward to next years show. Hopefully it'll have another sales assassin, a woman with liathroidi, and plenty more oompa loompas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I would love to see Michael O'Leary do the show instead of Bill. However, I think that Bill was not the worst...beats Donald Trump and his kids as his side kicks on the US show!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement