Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated grammatical error [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Is it impolite to correct a colleague's spelling or grammar?

The three usual situations are:

1) Letters that they intend sending to customers. Four of us share one printer so I often pick up correspondence that they have typed.

2) Internal emails sent to everybody in the office.

3) Conversations with me or other colleagues.

Some people think it's a petty thing to do and 'it doesn't really matter once the meaning is clear'.

Worst offences are stray / unnecessary apostrophes, badly constructed sentences and misuse of 'revert'.

Matters came to a head this evening. I informed a female co-worker that some people take photographs of misspelt shop signs and then post them on the internet.

'Why would they do that? I think that's sad'.

'What's even sadder is spending 12 or 13 years in school and not being able to spell or punctuate correctly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I think the message you get after logging into boards should be changed.

It should say "Terry, thank you for logging in." instead of "Thank you for logging in, Terry."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Terry wrote: »

It should say "Terry, thank you for logging in." instead of "Thank you for logging in, Terry."

Postcount++ ;)

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Hyphen instead of en dash as in:

2008-09

2008–09

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

blackbox wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at the number of contributors to the "Motors" forum whose cars have "breaks".

No sir,I would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Guy in my office tells us about something that happened three year agodrives me nuts ...................................and on the plural thingy we also have journeys that are three mile away :mad::mad:

It's great being perfect !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

I dont know is there a name on it, if I had to choose I guess improper adjective is the most appropriate.

ie Most fastest

"The car was the most fastest thing I have ever seen".

Does my head in.

This may have already been mentioned but I am not reading through 21 pages of threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

A kissing-cousin of the "pacifically" thing is people saying "supposebly" instead of "supposedly".

I know a girl who does this. I'm actually 100% convinced that she started doing it on purpose because of the "Friends" episode and no longer even realises she's doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I could care less if someone misuses 'X and me -' it's when they try to get clever and start throwing 'I' and 'Myself' around in every sentence that I get annoyed.

'This was a difficult decision for John and I to make.'

'He sent it on to Mary and myself.'

Ignorance is bad, ignorance coupled with pretentiousness is worse.

• Advertisement

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I could care less if someone misuses 'X and me -' it's when they try to get clever and start throwing 'I' and 'Myself' around in every sentence that I get annoyed.

'This was a difficult decision for John and I to make.'

'He sent it on to Mary and myself.'

Ignorance is bad, ignorance coupled with pretentiousness is worse.
    Could you care less?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I could, but not much.

People in glass houses...

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Could you care less?
    :)

Ah c'mon, has to be more pretentious than that:

"Could one care less?"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've just seen a feature in our local door-to-door free rag withe the headline "Shop LOCAL this Christmas". Aaaaaaargh! Please save the adverb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

I dont know if this is a Donegal thing :) but I know people who say 'Optober' for 'October" :Dmakes me smile

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Ah c'mon, has to be more pretentious than that:

"Could one care less?"

:D

It's the American "I could care less" that wrecks my buzz -the complete opposite of what they actually mean to say....

That and the classic West Belfast "good idear".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I fully acknowledge that I'm turning into one of those horrible, pedantic Daily Mail readers but I'm amazed that there are so many people out there who can't tell the difference between there, they're and their, lose and loose and your and you're. The curse of my cranky old English teacher on you all :cool:

Edit: I'm not talking about typos here. I'd be guilty of plenty of them myself if I didn't have one of those handy browser spell check thingies :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No. Shít happens, big deal. Text speak and utterly rubbish spelling and grammar do annoy me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Yeah, but this was subject of a thread not two days ago, if not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I agree with you that the spelling is atrocious by a large percentage of posters on BOARDS.IE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Yes, a little piece of me dies everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Yes, though I know I'm guilty of it from time to time. I do try to fix it as soon as I notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thing is , if your going to correct somebody about their grammer on boards.ie .You better be damm sure you dont make any yourself .We must allow for typo errors and people who may for one reason or another have to rush their posts .One of the topics at the English class I am attending is a debate about the very subject of incorrect spelling .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I twitch a little when I see 'I seen..'

I work with a very educated person who says this. Its sooo premiership footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

The best way to tell a bad speller/dumbass from someone who is sloppy and careless is the check do they put capitals in the right places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

One does greatly detest those with poor diction.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i h8 it wen peple spel tings lik dis. its rely anoying. dey av got 2 lern ow to rite tings propr. wen wil peple lern, al doe it is qiker

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Overature wrote: »
    i h8 it wen peple spel tings lik dis. its rely anoying. dey av got 2 lern ow to rite tings propr. wen wil peple lern, al doe it is qiker

But you see, having a full-size keyboard at their disposal is so limiting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I caught a fish yesterday, and it was this big.*

* shows size with hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

John left his bag in school .

I prefer ' John's bag was left in school ' .;)

Advertisement