Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The OFFICIAL exams and how to procrastinate yourself into oblivion thread December 08

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Fixed!:D

The term 'Grammar Nazi' has never been more appropriate... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I fixed the problem of being cold in this lab, by turning the radiator on!
    Why it was off in the 1st place I'll never know.

Now to try study some more...Stupid E-Service Quality, Gaps model nonsense :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

The term 'Grammar Nazi' has never been more appropriate... :p
    so you went to school in hospital ya?

Mossin wrote: »
    I fixed the problem of being cold in this lab, by turning the radiator on!
    Why it was off in the 1st place I'll never know.

Now to try study some more...Stupid E-Service Quality, Gaps model nonsense :confused:

Hmmmm... Jyske Bank... You know you love it!
    1huge1 wrote: »
    so you went to school in hospital ya?

I did indeed. Only did German in 1st year though. My love of Anne Cronin meant it could only be French for me. ;)

Hmmmm... Jyske Bank... You know you love it!

I love it as much as a kick in the balls :eek:

I really despise it, I'm hadnt even bothered using them as an example!!

After all the effort I put in all semester, I'm really sick and tired of doing work and studying now....It'd be a shame though to feck up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Does anyone know who you could go talk to regarding QCA and all of that? Would SAA be the crowd or is there a dedicated office, or possibly someone in the SU?

ImDave wrote: »
    Does anyone know who you could go talk to regarding QCA and all of that? Would SAA be the crowd or is there a dedicated office, or possibly someone in the SU?

I've never found SAA overly helpful... or even just helpful...

Education Officer in the SU maybe? Not sure, but someone on here will give a definitive answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ImDave wrote: »

Yeah, pop into the Education Officer, Eamonn Gardiner, in the SU. Turn right in the SU foyer and he's the last office on the left. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

My love of Anne Cronin meant it could only be French for me. ;)

So this is why you haven't popped the question. Does hazeler know?

The Don wrote: »
    So this is why you haven't popped the question. Does hazeler know?

Yes, I've learned that anything I post on boards.ie is in her realm of knowledge! :o

How is that last debacle nominated for post of the year... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

How is that last debacle nominated for post of the year... :pac:

Because it was epic pwnage :p

Stopped studying for dinner earlier, and havent bothered doing anymore since ...
    I'm really unprepared for this tomorrow...I know I will regret all this procrastination...Luckily the exam is on at 4pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Mossin wrote: »
    Stopped studying for dinner earlier, and havent bothered doing anymore since ...
    I'm really unprepared for this tomorrow...I know I will regret all this procrastination...Luckily the exam is on at 4pm...

I'm in the same boat.

Edit: Bit of a nerdy question. In an exam if I have to answer three questions, but I have time to answer 4, all from the one section, will I just be marked on my first 3 or my best 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I would imagine the best three?! :confused:
    Don't quote me on it tho!

That's what I thought but my OH thinks that the examiner won't be bothered even looking at my last answer and just correct my first three. It's not the end of the World if they do that. I've covered the four topics anyway, I just figured if I had time I may as well try and answer four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Well how about you don't answer the questions in numerical order, but answer your strongest three first and then leave your weakest one last..So if he doesn't look at your last one what harm, and if he does and it's not higher what harm/it is higher he might be nice enough to count it instead.

Yeah that's what I plan to do. Sure I might not even have time to answer 4, I probably won't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat.

Edit: Bit of a nerdy question. In an exam if I have to answer three questions, but I have time to answer 4, all from the one section, will I just be marked on my first 3 or my best 3?

It can depend on the lecturer, some that I've had have said they will only mark your 1st n questions the n being the number they ask you to answer so if you do 4 they'll only mark the first 3 in order.

Probably in the interest of fairness given e.g. if you're supposed to only answer 3 questions and then you answer four and the lecturer goes and marks your best questions rather than just marking what you were asked to deliver then someone who has only done 3 would be at a disadvantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

rmacm wrote: »
    It can depend on the lecturer, some that I've had have said they will only mark your 1st n questions the n being the number they ask you to answer so if you do 4 they'll only mark the first 3 in order.
    +1

I'd advise that you stick with three and answer them well. When it comes to long questions/essay questions, you don't do yourself justice by cramming in an extra one. The length of time given for the exam is based on what the lecturer thinks would be necessary to adequately answer the number of questions set and he/she will mark accordingly. You'd be better off if you have extra time to take a few minutes at the start to really plan out your answer and then at the end to go back and add in extra bits that come to you afterwards. If he/she expected you to do four questions in the set time, he/she would have set four questions.

Of course, it's a different story when it comes to MCQs or short (one word/line) questions as you don't use up much time doing extra questions then and don't have much to lose out on (unless it's negative marking!) but for long ones I'd stick with learning my three topics damn thoroughly and spewing out *everything* I knew if I was confident that time wasn't going to be an issue.

Best of luck missy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat.

Depends on the lecturer, bu AFAIK they have to mark the whole paper, but one of our lecturers dropped a hint that she had almost 400 scripts to mark, so those doing more than the prescribed number of questions may expect less than preferential remarking of the paper for wasting marking time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

all finished and i only have 2 exams between now and spring 2010 what a nice break

:D

Well thats 3 down and only 1 to go...

Went well overall I think, I can finally say that I'm happy with an exam this semester. She was quite nice with the paper I thought.
    All the questions that I thought she'd ask she did, now I kinda raging I didnt perpare more than 2 questions, then I'd have had a choice.

Now to try and study this painful material for Conor's exam :(

Still two more to go. One tomorrow and then Saturday. Think I might head home tomorrow and study there. I just can't wait to be back at home. Really not looking forward to tomorrow's exam. It's my first Irish one this semester and I'm completely unprepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Advanced Corporate Finance in 11.5 hours. :(

Seems as though an all nighter will be required.

Not finished until Saturday either. :(

I had a meeting yesterday. I should have a faculty board meeting later on. The head of my course just asked all class reps to meet her this morning to discuss the course. Are lecturers idiots? Do they not realise we have exams? I wouldn't mind but my exam later is for the head of the course, she should know better.

Also, my housemate stayed up until 3am periodically slamming drawers and doors and thus keeping me up in the process. Then her alarm went off at 6.30am. I heard her get up and go into her bathroom but she left her alarm going and it kept getting louder and louder and I got angrier, and long story short, now I'm awake with 3 hours sleep and have an exam later. Oh housemate, I try to like you but you just make it impossible.

So unmotivated to study....barely 4 broken hours of study done today...Exam is at 12:30 tmrw afaik...I'd better check that!

Yeah 12:30...C-Block...I'll be in the Stables by 3:05 pm :)

Its that kind of mentality that has me procrastinating and unable to study :(

Damn Conor and his 6 topics!!
    I'm thinking of taking a chance and learning just 3, and hoping that they all come up :eek:
    Its risky, but it could have huge pay-offs or massive failure, either way, I'll enjoy those pints!

4:30pm tomorrow, So so much german to go over,
    German culture (history of austria, switzerland and germany basically)
    German language (grammer etc)
    Business German!

Thursday, Friday and Saturday night will hopefully make up for the extra week I have on other business students.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

1huge1 wrote: »
    German culture (history of austria, switzerland and germany basically)

...france, poland, czech republic, hungary, denmark, norway, belgium.

Damn germans spreading their culture!

Well it is fairly interesting I have to admit but I don't think im doing myself any favours spending so much time reading about Franz Ferdinand the night before the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That's the Jean, Katja, Marieke split lecture isn't it??

I found the Swiss part most interesting.

Advertisement