Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The OFFICIAL exams and how to procrastinate yourself into oblivion thread December 08

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I don't wanna seem like a fanboy here, but if the Head of Department for Management and Marketing chooses not to put up notes on the public folder then that's his prerogative, not students. And he's an exceptional lecturer, whether you enjoy the module content or not.

Also, 30 & 32% are excellent marks to be getting for Communications projects, well done 1huge1 and Busi_Girl08. Put in a bit of effort with your study and you could easily pick up an A1/A2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I don't wanna seem like a fanboy here, but if the Head of Department for Management and Marketing chooses not to put up notes on the public folder then that's his prerogative, not students. And he's an exceptional lecturer, whether you enjoy the module content or not.

ill always think thats bull****. every lecturer should have notes available online there are way better ways to increase attendance at lectures

PeakOutput wrote: »
    ill always think thats bull****. every lecturer should have notes available online there are way better ways to increase attendance at lectures

Why? I'm not being smart here. I'd genuinely like to know why students think they have a right to notes being layed out for them?

I started life as an Engineering student here. We got course notes for exactly 0 modules out of 12 in first year. You showed up to lectures, listened to what the lecturer said, took notes where appropriate and attendance was comparatively high.

Fast forward to me starting my BBS degree and there were skeleton notes for the majority of modules. Attendance in BBS modules is atrocious, that is fact, not opinion. I'm not implying complete causality here, but you can't argue against the attitude that "Its not the end of the world if I miss the lecture, I'll still have the notes"... Slippery slope etc. (Communications students, it's not a fallacy here ;))

Would you have full notes online or skeleton notes? And please list the better ways to increase attendance... Awarding % for attendance like some humanities courses do for their tutorials?

At the end of the day there are no absolutes in whether a lecturer should or should not put up notes, but I don't think students should feel hard done by because Mike Morley doesn't want to put them up.

It's his module, you're just along for the ride ;)

Why? I'm not being smart here. I'd genuinely like to know why students think they have a right to notes being layed out for them?

I started life as an Engineering student here. We got course notes for exactly 0 modules out of 12 in first year. You showed up to lectures, listened to what the lecturer said, took notes where appropriate and attendance was comparatively high.

Fast forward to me starting my BBS degree and there were skeleton notes for the majority of modules. Attendance in BBS modules is atrocious, that is fact, not opinion. I'm not implying complete causality here, but you can't argue against the attitude that "Its not the end of the world if I miss the lecture, I'll still have the notes"... Slippery slope etc. (Communications students, it's not a fallacy here ;))

Would you have full notes online or skeleton notes? And please list the better ways to increase attendance... Awarding % for attendance like some humanities courses do for their tutorials?

At the end of the day there are no absolutes in whether a lecturer should or should not put up notes, but I don't think students should feel hard done by because Mike Morley doesn't want to put them up.

full notes and because its way way harder to take adequate notes and process what is being said at the same time. at least for me its one or the other listen and understand or take notes and try to figure it out myself later and i know most of my class think the same

i dont care if they are online in the print room or given out in the lectures online just happens to be the handiest for everyone

simply taking attendance and saying you cant pass the module without attendin75% of lectures will increase the attendance overnight and the exam will still be worth 100% for the people that show up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I lost my folder with all my notes halfway through the semester. My classmates replaced some notes and then things got messy. When I went to my lecturers they were completely organised and it was impossible to figure out what I had and I didn't have.

One lecturer had put her notes up on Public Folders. It took me about 20 minutes to go on and click on Week 1, Week 2, Week 3 etc. and replace all the notes for the class. I know losing folders isn't commonplace but like PeakOutput said, it's a lot harder to take notes and listen at the same time than to listen alone. I do much better in the classes where I just have to worry about taking my own notes and listening, rather than frantically trying to write everything down before the lecturer changes the slide.

By the way - Happy Birthday PeakOutput!

And my moan for the day - My first exam is at 4 and I have been up all night with a stomach bug. Still can't keep food down and am absolutely exhausted. Eurgh.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know anything about right wing politics? I don't need to know much, just its defining characteristics, particularly around the time of Hitler? If that makes sense at all. I only need like two or three lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Nationalism (remember Hitlers need to annoy the neighbours and grab their territory)
    Law & order (kill all the lefties and all will be well...oh wait, kill the Brownshirts too, their colours don't suit my style)
    Set a defined "ideal" member of your nation, eg blonde hair and blue eyes etc
    Have a racial group you can blame things on (best example is the Jews, the Polish government of the time didn't like them either)

klong wrote: »
    Nationalism (remember Hitlers need to annoy the neighbours and grab their territory)
    Law & order (kill all the lefties and all will be well...oh wait, kill the Brownshirts too, their colours don't suit my style)
    Have a racial group you can blame things on (best example is the Jews, the Polish government of the time didn't like them either)

Cool, that's perfect. My exam later is on Crime Fiction and I just realised that the precursor to all the books was either World War II or something to do with a right wing politician. I wanted to be able to say a couple of lines about right wing politics on top of that instead of saying 'World War II is a dominant theme in all of the books on the course'.

Thanks klong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

klong wrote: »

Other examples of territorial expansion would be Romania (who grabbed a bit of Poland after the German/Soviet invasion and Italy (of course, heading off to Africa for a sun holiday and getting beaten up by pissed- off locals)
    You could also mention the emphasis on physical prowess- after all, Berlin hosted the 1936 Olympics. Army barracks built in Germany at the time or refurbished were decorated with murals and statues of the "ideal" German.

The stuff I'm focusing on looks more at the denial by the countries involved as to what happened and what they did. Each book is based in a different country.

One book is on Austria. Austria claimed itself to be Hitler's first victim after WWII and seemed unwilling to discuss the fact that Jews were treated worse in Austria than anywhere else. Their concentration camps were also the worst.

The other is set in France and the two main characters were killed after discovering an extremely large % of children were deported from Toulouse to the concentration camp in Drancy, which was the worst concentration camp in France. I'm not sure if the bit about the children is fact or fiction.

The last book is set in Japan and makes numerous references to Japan's actions in the Pacific War which was part of WWII. Even now it is part of the Japanese establishment to have a collective amnesia about their actions such as Unit 731, which conducted horrible experiments on humans, the 'comfort women' who were of Korean, Chinese and Dutch descent and were basically used as sex slaves by the army and finally the Rape of Nanjing which was thousands upon thousands of Chinese raped and killed, but Japan still refuses to acknowledge the true amount.

So apparently I have learned something.

• Advertisement

ergonomics wrote: »
    The other is set in France and the two main characters were killed after discovering an extremely large % of children were deported from Toulouse to the concentration camp in Drancy, which was the worst concentration camp in France. I'm not sure if the bit about the children is fact or fiction.

that is not the only mention of a train load of kids being sent to concentration camps in france in fiction the last one i can think of is the latest film about the young hannibal lectar. it probably has a thread of truth to it

thanks for the happy birthdays im in the library struggling to stay awake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

ergonomics wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about right wing politics? I don't need to know much, just its defining characteristics, particularly around the time of Hitler? If that makes sense at all. I only need like two or three lines.

Where's rmacm when you need him. He'll take you through his plan for world domination which he calls Kill 'em all*

*also the name of Metallica's first album

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Attendance in BBS is average but 10% of 400 is a lot bigger than 10% of 60. The largest single 4th year module is Ireland in the World Economy which traverses BBS, E&S, E&M, PA and possibly some ERASMUS. There were always about 450-500 in the lecture for the first half at least, there were full notes for most lectures.

Full powerpoint notes are not too much to ask, considering you'd want to be a pretty sh/t lecturer to say no more than is on the slides. Additional info is what's important which is what distinguishes an A from a B from a C. Got no notes for one module this year, the lectures were painful and what was being said had no relation to the slide (about 6 per lecture) which were an A4 typed page full of crap. The exam tomorrow is the one I'm least looking forward to. I've never been so afraid of an exam, and I've done Statistics:eek::eek:

Lecture notes are not a module, but they are a basis, and had you not realised we don't all have €600 a year to spend on books.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I'd wager more engineering students are more interested in going to lecturers then business students.

Pete stirs pot with large brush, then proceeds to paint large swaths of each course with his tar laden brush

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I don't wanna seem like a fanboy here, but if the Head of Department for Management and Marketing chooses not to put up notes on the public folder then that's his prerogative, not students. And he's an exceptional lecturer

Fan woman - If your who I think you are (Saying that for the purposes of working out who you are more than for sexist distinction) :D:D:D:D:D:D

As usual you have a valid point it is his perogative but at the same time students tend to get the notes anyway so why make it difficult for them...... especially when universities are supposed to facilitate knowledge transfer not impeed it.

Your right though he is an exceptional lecturer and he has a real interet in what he teaches!!!

OH and HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEAKOUTPUT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Not attending the lectures is more of an impediment to learing than not putting up notes. You can get notes from others all you want to, but the context they wrote them down in cannot be duplicated through copying them.

I have to argree with Burning Eclipse, that the lecture shouldnt have to put up notes for students. It is undoubtedly a huge help, I'm not denying that.
    But its not like secondary school where everything is laid out in front of you and basically you are spoon fed. College is supposed to be about independent learning.
    Lecturers are there mainly as quality control at the end of the day.

I'd also agree with Petee that Engineers are probably more interested in lectures than BBS students. The BBS class is so huge, and in 1st and 2nd year are filled with students who didnt know what else to put down on the CAO form, end up doing Business, dont like it, dont attend and inevitably fail.

And Happy Birthday Peakoutput

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Does Boards send a birthday reminder or are you all just following the first person.

HB PO

i assume they are just following me saying its my birthday although did get an email from boards at 12am wishing me a happy birthday

exam done with 5 day gap to do nothing until panic sets in the night before again.

our lecturer really punished us in this exam for not attending lectures but id say i got threw ok.

lectures are 30% of your learning 50% at best(at least in the courses iv experience off) 50% is labs and tutorials and projects and the rest is what you do in your own time. lecturers are not teachers they are ot there to teach a subject to how ever many people are in the hall they are there to outline the knowledge and provide the tools to learn it yourself. quality notes are a very important part of this. i think its laziness on the part of some lecturers(one maths lecturer in particular) and a sense of feeling important for some or not wanting to not feel important by staring at an empty lecture hall and still giving out b1 grades after exams

oh ye and thanks everyone have to decide to rush back to dublin to celebrate or stay in limerick and celebrate....decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'll be honest.

I get Michael's point, and I kind of agree with him.

Why should the people who don't make the effort get an easy ride? What's so hard about turning up for lectures?

Fair enough, people can and should enjoy themselves, but I know people who haven't bothered to turn up for lectures, slept through them, or just couldn't be arsed.
    A friend of mine had to do her Communictions project pretty mch on her own, because no-one else would pull thier weight.

Why should Michael have to provide for the students who couldn't give a crap?

Fair enough if they were sick, or whatever, Im sure he made some acceptions, but other than that...

I'll be honest.

I get Michael's point, and I kind of agree with him.

Why should the people who don't make the effort get an easy ride? What's so hard about turning up for lectures?

Fair enough, people can and should enjoy themselves, but I know people who haven't bothered to turn up for lectures, slept through them, or just couldn't be arsed.
    A friend of mine had to do her Communictions project pretty mch on her own, because no-one else would pull thier weight.

Why should Michael have to provide for the students who couldn't give a crap?

Fair enough if they were sick, or whatever, Im sure he made some acceptions, but other than that...

its not about giving a crap or not giving a crap alot of people can do very well without going to lectures and even better than people who do if there are adequate notes given everyone learns differently. i know i learn feck all from going to lectures so i dont go. i try never to miss a lab or a tutorial. why shouldnt i be entitled to slides that are there anyway sitting on a computer jsut because the lecturer wants to feel good about having 30 people in a lecture instead of 15

• Advertisement

I'm too excited about Christmas to study. I absolutely love it. It's my favourite time of the year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I just cant study :(
    I really really cant, I try and I try, but tomorrow's exam is looming large now and its not looking good...

I wish I could get excited about it being nearly Christmas :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Not a total lover of Christmas. I'm just looking forward to my two weeks off and all the food!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

just german on thursday this week then im finished, why couldnt I of finished with the rest of the business students on friday! ah well

1huge1 wrote: »
    just german on thursday this week then im finished

Viel Gluck! Das Ende ist in Sicht!!;)

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Viel Gluck! Das Ende ist in Sicht!!;)
    Vielen dank, Weihnacht in zehn tag!

Vielen dank, Weihnacht in zehn tag!

Is Frau Clodagh Kelly doing the good work?? ;)

Vielen Dank, Weihnacht in zehn Tage!
    Fixed!:D

Is Frau Clodagh Kelly doing the good work?? ;)
    obviously not haha

I was always better at speaking it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 procstar

just german on thursday this week then im finished, why couldnt I of finished with the rest of the business students on friday! ah well

ah yes, the week long wait till the german exam. how i loved it. plently of time to study for it after the other business things

Advertisement