Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Sna

Just to let you know there is a Mary Lacey working in the secondary school in town may be a start. It her married name so it is her husband that would be of aid to you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sna wrote: »
    Just to let you know there is a Mary Lacey working in the secondary school in town may be a start. It her married name so it is her husband that would be of aid to you

:confused: Okay I'm confused ... who would she be of aid to & about what Sna?

oeb wrote: »
    I don't think it's too bad there, and it is only temporary.

Rumour has it that the European Circus will be in town for a fortnight. I work in the tourism industry and they never made contact with the hotels or b&b's in the town advertising their times or prices and considering the number of families we've had over the past week and will have in town over the next week, I think they could do a lot more business and make the most out of their time here. It just seems like a wasted opportunity to me really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I can completely confirm everything that Boroman said in the Listowel Thread "In answer to Maureen re/county home in Killarney I can tell her that the county home she speaks of was built originally as a workhouse, it was used subsequently as the county home to cater for anybody in Co. Kerry who without proper means would be unable to look after themselves.It is used today as an old folks home facility and is known as St.Columbanus Home. I would advise Maureen to contact the Archivist at Kerry County Library and he may have records or would be in a position to advise where information re/ county home might be sourced. ".

That's it exactly. I was thinking today of the best way to phrase it but Boroman said it perfectly.

I've checked it out with the Archivist at Kerry County Library. Seems he has old records of the minutes etc and not records of patients. This was in 1940 and seems the records are gone. Would anybody know if this facility was run by a religious order then? I wonder if the records were taken to another place and stored? Difficult trying to find information on your father's family when they have already died and you never knew they existed. Thanks to Boroman....he has helped me out with a lot of information that I didn't have. Boroman always comes up with another bit of information for me. Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

swinging way off on a tangent there (above)

back on topic:
    Killarney was mobbed again over the weekend, but it brought back the usual trouble outside scruffys

• Advertisement

dmeehan wrote: »
    Killarney was mobbed again over the weekend, but it brought back the usual trouble outside scruffys

To say that Killarney was rough over the past few weeks would be a complete understatement ... and when you see bouncers being taken away for stitches to the head you know it was no barrel of laughs in said establishments! and not just in scruffy's for once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

For the last 20 years I have holidayed regularly in Killarney. Have to say I love the place. Very beautiful countryside.

Last year however I was very disappointed to discover the the CARAGH restaurent had closed down. My kids loved the grub in there. Good, wholesome, decent food. Can anyone tell me if something has opened in its place or can you recommend somewhere similar to eat. Heading to Killarney again soon.

Thanks a mil

Lady_North wrote: »
    For the last 20 years I have holidayed regularly in Killarney. Have to say I love the place. Very beautiful countryside.

Last year however I was very disappointed to discover the the CARAGH restaurent had closed down. My kids loved the grub in there. Good, wholesome, decent food. Can anyone tell me if something has opened in its place or can you recommend somewhere similar to eat. Heading to Killarney again soon.

Thanks a mil

:D Perfect timing Lady_North ... The Caragh was re-opened last week as far as I Know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

To say that Killarney was rough over the past few weeks would be a complete understatement ... and when you see bouncers being taken away for stitches to the head you know it was no barrel of laughs in said establishments! and not just in scruffy's for once!

I did door work for a few years in the Grand, the Granary etc. This kind of stuff has always been happening, but there does seem to have been a bit of a surge in it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

stand by!
    May bank holiday/rally of the lakes weekend approaching

batten down the hatches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

:D Perfect timing Lady_North ... The Caragh was re-opened last week as far as I Know

Caragh definately reopened

Hi All

Just to let all readers of this thread know that Deenach Lodge Tearoom is reopened. :) It is run by the Kerry Branch Down Syndrome Ireland whereby we give work and training to young adults with DS.

If you walk/jog in the Demense please drop in to see what we are doing and all feedback is very much appreciated

Thanks

oeb wrote: »
    I did door work for a few years in the Grand, the Granary etc. This kind of stuff has always been happening, but there does seem to have been a bit of a surge in it recently.
    dmeehan wrote: »
    stand by!
    May bank holiday/rally of the lakes weekend approaching

batten down the hatches

It has always been simmering in Killarney through the years but their certainly has been a re-surge lately for whatever reason (I can easily guess some reasons but won't). What I will expect though is an increased Garda presence leading upto and during this week-end for starters as their was always & will always be an increased Garda presence for the May bank-holiday.

newman10 wrote: »
    Hi All

Just to let all readers of this thread know that Deenach Lodge Tearoom is reopened. :) It is run by the Kerry Branch Down Syndrome Ireland whereby we give work and training to young adults with DS.

If you walk/jog in the Demense please drop in to see what we are doing and all feedback is very much appreciated

Thanks

Aw thanks for letting us know newman. I am always passing by it jogging and wondered when it would be re-opened. I'll drop in the next time I'm passing again for sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

Happy Days, thanks for that info. Looking forward to dinner in the Caragh in the next few weeks. yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Hi AllJust to let all readers of this thread know that Deenach Lodge Tearoom is reopened. :) It is run by the Kerry Branch Down Syndrome Ireland whereby we give work and training to young adults with DS.
    If you walk/jog in the Demense please drop in to see what we are doing and all feedback is very much appreciatedThanks

AFAIK they done this last year also. We were there a couple of times during last "summer" and were well impressed.

Looking forward to going again.

Their has been a change in schedule to the line-up in TheGrand this week - ThePaddy's are playing tonight! woohoo! Savage night awaits :D

dh0661 wrote: »
    AFAIK they done this last year also. We were there a couple of times during last "summer" and were well impressed.

Looking forward to going again.

HI dho661

We empoyed on a part time basis 28 Young Adults with Down Syndrome who would not be able to find employment elsewhere. Also employed was a Manager and 2 part timers. :)

While we had some teething problems I hope that this year it will be a great year for all involved

Thank you for your support, it is much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

Lady_North wrote: »
    Happy Days, thanks for that info. Looking forward to dinner in the Caragh in the next few weeks. yum yum
    LADY NORTH make sure to check out the price of this place i fancied a bit of a greasy meal and thought the caragh would fit the bill nicely untill the shock i got when i seen they were looking for 19.85 for a mixed grill what a joke 20 quid for a dolled up breakfast either they take a look at the prices or they will be like locs pie house ...............closed within six months ......who in there right minds would pay this money
    :eek::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek: ended upn poxy mackers

HI dho661

We empoyed on a part time basis 28 Young Adults with Down Syndrome who would not be able to find employment elsewhere. Also employed was a Manager and 2 part timers. :)

While we had some teething problems I hope that this year it will be a great year for all involved

Thank you for your support, it is much appreciated
    NEWMAN could i please make a suggestion ....as someone who walks through the park past your door at least 5 evenings a week would ye ever try to stay open a little laer as there is huge traffick ie. local people that go to the park after six when they get home from work and im sure if they were aware of the great work that goes on in there they would love tohelp ye alon a little i know i would......have been walking past the door for years and never made it in time for a nice muga.........also get more tables and chairs outside teh door if yer allowed.....:rolleyes:;):pac::pac: best wishes for the coming season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

Saw a poster today in Inisfallen shopping Centre for Motown night, tonight at Horans Members Bar.

Can anyone tell me where Horans Members Bar is please?

Saw a poster today in Inisfallen shopping Centre for Motown night, tonight at Horans Members Bar.

Can anyone tell me where Horans Members Bar is please?

Hey they were advertising for Horans Bar & Nightclub at Clash in Tralee ... You go upstairs there for the MembersBar.

Will all these young people hanging around town day and night still be doing the same next week when schools re-open I wonder? I seriously hope not though!

On another note though it really is fantastic to see all the tours rolling back into the town

J90 will be playing in the Grand Tuesday, can anyone tell me do they draw much of a crowd in I wonder? I have yet to go in and see them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

J90 will be playing in the Grand Tuesday, can anyone tell me do they draw much of a crowd in I wonder? I have yet to go in and see them

They usually do. It's normally split between them and Dueces Wild as to who draws the biggest midweek crowd. Personally I prefer J90, but I don't get to see them much any more as I now have to drive to Tralee at 7.30 every morning =/

NEWMAN could i please make a suggestion ....as someone who walks through the park past your door at least 5 evenings a week would ye ever try to stay open a little laer as there is huge traffick ie. local people that go to the park after six when they get home from work and im sure if they were aware of the great work that goes on in there they would love tohelp ye alon a little i know i would......have been walking past the door for years and never made it in time for a nice muga.........also get more tables and chairs outside teh door if yer allowed.....:rolleyes:;):pac::pac: best wishes for the coming season

It is under discussion but as you are aware wakling it very weather permiting and we also have some issues regarding our young adults when the support services have finished their working day.

As regard the tables and chairs we can only put out what is permitted by the National Park

I UNDERSTAND even though it does annoy me a little the national park must be the most under used facility in ireland its disgracefull.there should be tables and chairs all around the cottage :confused:

I UNDERSTAND even though it does annoy me a little the national park must be the most under used facility in ireland its disgracefull.there should be tables and chairs all around the cottage :confused:

No I for one don't agree with this Frankenfurter. I think the cottage has enough tables and chairs outside it. Have you see the trouble that surrounds the benches inside the golden-gates where the now CCTV cameras as located? They were recently put up for a very good reason. Their are plentiful supply for benches throughout the National Parks but what we need more of are bins imo.

I personally think it's rough to suggest the National Parks is the most unedr-used facility in Ireland. Take a stroll or a cycle any day/evening and you will see crowds of people at all aspects of the National Parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Windsurfing (Rossbeigh)

Firstly, cheers for the suggestions fellas. :) Do you have any info on windsurfing... ie. are there are companies that organise this? Thanks.

• Advertisement

missannik wrote: »
    Firstly, cheers for the suggestions fellas. :) Do you have any info on windsurfing... ie. are there are companies that organise this? Thanks.

Do you mean lessons or rent equipment. AFAIK it is not possible. You would need your own equipment.

Jamie Knox in Castlegregory would hire equipment and give lessons

Advertisement