Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Will there be an investigation now with the pubs in killarney with this carry on? Hopefully this will not be brushed under the carpet. This is everything as bad as Berlin bar in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

teednab-el wrote: »
    Will there be an investigation now with the pubs in killarney with this carry on? Hopefully this will not be brushed under the carpet. This is everything as bad as Berlin bar in Dublin.

I wouldnt bank on it considering the locations of the videos, its plain to see whose bars those people came from. This is a long read but worth it to get an idea on the licensing situation in Killarney and one publican/businessman who is allegedly calling all the shots.

https://childrenofthedigitalage.org/a-garda-whistleblowers-story/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

dobman88 wrote: »
    I wouldnt bank on it considering the locations of the videos, its plain to see whose bars those people came from. This is a long read but worth it to get an idea on the licensing situation in Killarney and one publican/businessman who is allegedly calling all the shots.

Is this still going on? 10 years later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

More footage has emerged from last night. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtP_faKziU

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is this still going on? 10 years later

Yes, if you click that link, the same person has a "Part 2" to the story at the bottom which was written this year. He just mainly talks about lack of hotel exemptions for weddings in that one and doesnt mention a specific publican/businessman.

But yeah, the same person still has a hold over the Gardai is would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is a dead young man but that could be unrelated

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Come on. How disrespectful is that. A completely different part of town, nowhere near the centre, at a different time and being treated as an unexplained tragedy at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Nothing to do with what was going on in the town centre. Disrespectful to the family speculating like that.

Come on. How disrespectful is that. A completely different part of town, nowhere near the centre, at a different time and being treated as an unexplained tragedy at the moment.
    Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with what was going on in the town centre. Disrespectful to the family speculating like that.

I did say could be unrelated but I'm sure I'm not the only one speculating as all in the same town on the same night, apologies if I offended

RIP

I did say could be unrelated but I'm sure I'm not the only one speculating as all in the same town on the same night, apologies if I offended

RIP

Some things just better left unsaid imo. That young chap was found outside the Gleneagle, nowhere near the town centre where the other incidents took place so very unfair to him and his family to lump him in with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

being treated as an unexplained tragedy at the moment.

Rumours in the town suggest something a bit more serious happened at the Gleneagle than a unexplained tragedy.

Rumours in the town suggest something a bit more serious happened at the Gleneagle than a unexplained tragedy.

Yes I've heard them all and I still think it's not right posting about it until anything official is released by Gardai. Regardless of what happened, a young man lost his life and in my humble opinion, he shouldnt be the subject of town/online gossip. Is it really that hard for people to just not post about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I think its the attitude of the younger generation that grew up in the boom is the problem. They don't care and only laugh at people who are genuinely concerned about the spread of covid. Some people argue that these young people have the right to enjoy themselves etc.
    but surely not in large gatherings especially when this virus is so contiguous. It makes me wonder about some peoples basic common sense to be honest. If these young people are our future then we are all goosed i am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I don't know, is this the same as the Berlin bar? In one you have a venue clearly ignoring restrictions and flouting social distancing regulations, in Killarney however you have people who have left a venue (that is following regulations) and gather on the streets outside and misbehave.

I think this is a side effect of Killarney being jointed with young people, half the venues being closed due to not serving food, and the few that are open being jammed. Folks trying to pour as many pints into them as they can with their 9 euro chicken wings under strict time limits, and all being dumped out into the street at 11.30.

This is the exact same behavior that you would have seen outside any of the nightclubs or chippers in town at 3am this time last year. You are always going to get idiots that drink too much and misbehave, at least with the clubs a certain percentage of them would have gone home pissed already by that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

As far as im concerned, nothing will be done about this kinda situation. It's well known about some of the carryon by businesses in the town with regard rules. Closing bars at 11.30 is like a new 2.30am, what did they think was gonna happen?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Some gangster

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

oeb wrote: »
    I don't know, is this the same as the Berlin bar? In one you have a venue clearly ignoring restrictions and flouting social distancing regulations, in Killarney however you have people who have left a venue (that is following regulations) and gather on the streets outside and misbehave.

I think this is a side effect of Killarney being jointed with young people, half the venues being closed due to not serving food, and the few that are open being jammed. Folks trying to pour as many pints into them as they can with their 9 euro chicken wings under strict time limits, and all being dumped out into the street at 11.30.

This is the exact same behavior that you would have seen outside any of the nightclubs or chippers in town at 3am this time last year. You are always going to get idiots that drink too much and misbehave, at least with the clubs a certain percentage of them would have gone home pissed already by that time.

Highly Questionable !!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,896 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No fines to put manners on ppl here, fcuk all to get anyone to behave other than a finger wagging from a guard telling you to go home to your Mammy.
    There were actual fines for organisers of a rave in the woods in the UK and fines issued on the Continent for various offenses. Organisers of a BLM parade in Belfast were issued with fines. Here you'd want to hop up and down on the bonnet of a squad car before anything happens to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Was he a hotel guest?

I have no idea and can't understand why you would want to know and why you would want to ask a stranger on the internet if he was.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

I have no idea and can't understand why you would want to know and why you would want to ask a stranger on the internet if he was.

I am sorry, I am curious i.e. nosy and there is rumours swirling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I am sorry, I am curious i.e. nosy and there is rumours swirling

So your plan to correct the rumours is to ask a total stranger on the internet what their version of events is?

Are you for real?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Folks, looking for a pub with good food where I can watch the Ireland game on Thursday

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Folks, looking for a pub with good food where I can watch the Ireland game on Thursday

The Failte or Scotts will both have the game on and food is decent in both. Obviously book anything beforehand cos itll be busier with the game on.

Alternatively, I've heard McSorleys is open as normal. No need to book and no need to have food although I'm not sure how true that is as I dont live in town any more. Massive screen out the back too so may be worth a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place, but myself and my o/h have 2 nights booked in Killarney next week -arriving early Thursday until Saturday. She has never been to the kingdom before and I haven't in years. Just wondering what the main attractions we should try get to are? I was thinking of trying to fit in Muckross/Torc/Gap of Dunloe on the Thursday. Is this feasible or should I break it up between the Thursday and Friday? Any recommended restaurants-come-pubs to grab a bite to eat and a few drinks in?

Planning on heading to Dingle/Dunquin early on the Saturday. Open to any suggestions though.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place, but myself and my o/h have 2 nights booked in Killarney next week -arriving early Thursday until Saturday. She has never been to the kingdom before and I haven't in years. Just wondering what the main attractions we should try get to are? I was thinking of trying to fit in Muckross/Torc/Gap of Dunloe on the Thursday. Is this feasible or should I break it up between the Thursday and Friday? Any recommended restaurants-come-pubs to grab a bite to eat and a few drinks in?

Planning on heading to Dingle/Dunquin early on the Saturday. Open to any suggestions though.

Thanks.

Muckross / Torc can easily be done in one trip, the waterfall car park is just a few km down the road from the Muckross house carpark.

As for timing, it really depends how long you want to spend at each place. You could spend 20 minutes or 5 hours, there is plenty to see. Same goes for the Gap of Dunloe. It's about 15 minutes outside town, if you want to drop the car in the car park and stroll up to the first bridge and back, you would probably be done in an hour, taking a Jaunting car trip in or to any of those locations would likely be multiple hours (It's been years since I was on one).

Depending on how early you arrive, and what you actually want to do in the locations, I would suggest hitting Torc first, if you just want to see the base of the waterfall and not actually climb up to any of the viewing points, allow for 20 - 30 minutes, longer if you want to go up the steps (There are some beautiful views up there)

Then on to Muckross, allow for an hour or two minimum, park in the house car park, go around to the other side of the house and there are some lovely gardens there, a rockery, and then some more opposite that. You can go down to the lake shore from there at Dundag (A little rocky beach) and come back via the walk by the lawn outside the house. Muckross is huge though, so you can spend as much time there as you want to.

Off to the gap then, maybe walk to the first bridge if that floats your boat, if you wanted to make a longer trip of it (And assuming they are running), you could do the entire 11km of it (Walk, or jaunting car) and then get a boat from Lord Brandon's cottage to Ross Castle, but that would be a much longer trip. Assuming you are just there for a stroll and a look, you could head back to Kate Kearney's for a bite to eat.

As to places to eat in town, plenty going on at the moment, you quite possibly want to book ahead as town is very busy at the moment. Places I have eaten in recently and had a good meal (At the cheaper, more casual, price point) are The Porterhouse, The Whisky Bar, Scotts Hotel, The Lane Bar & Ktown, and (At the more expensive, 'treat', side), Treyvaud's, Malarkey and Lord Kenmare's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

oeb wrote: »
    Muckross / Torc can easily be done in one trip, the waterfall car park is just a few km down the road from ..

That is perfect and just the info we were looking for!
    Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Thank you so much.

When youre going to muckross house make sure you stop at muckross abbey first.

Beautiful scenic walk in to an old abandoned abbey that you can explore. 100% worth a look. Its about 5 minutes before the entrance to muckross house

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Thank you so much.

Get the boat from Ross castle to Lord Brandon's cottage and then walk down the Gap to Kate kearneys. You'll have to get a taxi though but it's a lovely trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Salvadoor wrote: »
    Get the boat from Ross castle to Lord Brandon's cottage and then walk down the Gap to Kate kearneys. You'll have to get a taxi though but it's a lovely trip

Plus the walk down the Gap is easier on the legs!

Advertisement