Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd guess at Analogue switch off?
    At the moment they are generating it anyway for Analogue. And also sending XML to UPC and Sky for their Middlewares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

STB wrote: »
    The "B" model is the UK model (D25B). They have the Freesat 7 day EPG and MHEG5 for Freeview. There have been serious problems with ALL Panasonic Freesat Combo's TVs use in ireland due to guess what..... incomplete firmware.

Freeview is MPEG2. HD Freesat is MPEG4. They both use a common MPEG4 processor which processes the decoding on both tuners. Unfortunately they chose to turn off this option on the Freeview part so it only tunes in MPEG2 instead of MPEG4 and MPEG2. The people who have bought these products have been told that the products are for UK market.

You bought a European model....... lets see what happens next. You will need to elevate this complaint.

Hey STB,

I see there is a Panny D25E - is the E supposed to be a Pan European Model and then maybe have UK, Ireland, Germany, Poland ..... on a menu for correct setup for that country ?

C

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Oh I get what you are asking. The data being generated by non MHEG5 TVs and their EPG program display is gathered from EIT. So once that is being broadcst, yeah no problem.

thanks for that. TV has MHEG5, but only when set to UK, and as it is a euro model i can't do that, but as long as the TV epg gets populated i don't see me needing it much....

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

Thanks for earlier replies

Just seen the SONY KDL-37EX402 on pixmania for €565, seems to have the TNT HD symbol and MPEG4 is also mentioned.

Anyone got this TV, assume its OK to pick up the Irish DTT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Use of MHEG5 gives universal control and feel. How long before the VBI text etc is dropped, we do no know.
    It's analogue technology, so once analogue is gone there will be little point maintaining it. Certainly this is the way it has gone across the water in the UK.

Teletext is also a severe limiting factor in development of digital text services in terms of platform consistency. Digital text is extremely powerful in what it can do and the amount of content it can carry but any development you do has to keep within the restraints of analogue teletext to maintain the same service across all platforms. Branching off the MHEG Aertel service to UPC and Sky (both OpenTV) to replace the VBI insertions could be done quite easily in the future.

• Advertisement

All XML file driven

I think teletext will be gone when Analogue closes in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I notice that Power city have advertised the first saorview approved tv. It's a 26" TV for €299. The walker.ie site has some more info on it.

I don't know much about Walker. Are they just a rebranded TV? how would they compare to the likes of Samsung or LG etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Kensington wrote: »
    It's analogue technology, so once analogue is gone there will be little point maintaining it. Certainly this is the way it has gone across the water in the UK.

I think we'll see it around long after ASO for all those non-Saorview non-MHEG-5 receivers out there. If they were going to switch off traditional text at ASO why would bother including it in the spec at all. Channels other than RTÉ may not be so quick to launch MHEG-5 services.

Regarding the UK and traditional teletext, they may be one of a few European countries never to offer traditional teletext on DTT (can't think of any other). They are the only European country to use the D-Book standard.

The Scandinavians, Dutch, Germans, Italians, Spanish to name but a few, all continue to transmit teletext on DTT. The digital-only Dutch haven't even launched a digital text service yet. The Italians and Spanish like us mandate analogue text as part of their DTT standard. In Germany due to the popularity of traditional teletext a new German ZDF teenager-orientated channel launched earlier this year has recently launched a standard teletext service on the channel and the commercial channels plan to broadcast traditional text for the foreseeable future (ASO was completed in Germany in mid 2008).

Walker appears to be vestel (Turkey).
    Some Bush, Grundig and other well known brands of stuff is Vestel

Teletext ironically is well suited to digital, as it always was a digital stream and is very cheap to carry as it's a low bit rate. On Digital broadcast it's separate stream rather than modulated into the blank lines at top of picture. There even was a prototype teletext with photos and fancy fonts in late 1970s, but it was too slow so was never implemented outside of demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

recyclebin wrote: »
    I don't know much about Walker. Are they just a rebranded TV?

This from back in 2006 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054881027

• Advertisement

I can confirm that the Lidl "Silvercrest" CRTs and "Black Diamond" branded CRTs I have tested work with Vestel Service codes to get into service/manufacturing settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The Cush wrote: »
    I think we'll see it around long after ASO for all those non-Saorview non-MHEG-5 receivers out there. If they were going to switch off traditional text at ASO why would bother including it in the spec at all. Channels other than RTÉ may not be so quick to launch MHEG-5 services.
    It's part of the spec so that the likes of TV3 and TG4 who don't have digital text services are still guaranteed their existing "analogue" teletext services are fully compatible. Once digital text is implemented and running, it makes the analogue teletext technology effectively redundant.

TV3 and TG4 in all likelihood will continue their teletext as is, but it wouldn't really make sense for RTÉ to have to manage their digital platforms around the constraints of the teletext system.

TG4 is likely to "upgrade" to digital text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Kensington wrote: »
    ... the constraints of the teletext system.

The advertisers' logos don't look so good? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Surely it can't be legal sell this so close to the impending(?) Saorview(soft?) launch on Oct. 31st.
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101007.p.32inch_Full_HD_LCD_Television
    "With built-in DVBT tuner (MPEG2) for reception of digital TV channels" Unless buyers are DTT savvy, there's gonna be a few disappointed Lidl customers out there. If it is legal, then the powers that be need to get the finger out & sort out the Saorview labeling pretty soon before buyers begin getting their fingers & wallets burned by unscrupulous retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Surely it can't be legal sell this so close to the impending(?) Saorview(soft?) launch on Oct. 31st.
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101007.p.32inch_Full_HD_LCD_Television
    "With built-in DVBT tuner (MPEG2) for reception of digital TV channels" Unless buyers are DTT savvy, there's gonna be a few disappointed Lidl customers out there. If it is legal, then the powers that be need to get the finger out & sort out the Saorview labeling pretty soon before buyers begin getting their fingers & wallets burned by unscrupulous retailers.
    I sent this email to them yesterday - no reply so far obviously:
    Hi - will you be placing large and prominent signs on your 32 inch TV on offer on Thursday 7th to warn buyers that this TV does NOT have a HD tuner, nor is it compatible with the Republic of Ireland DTT system launching on Oct 31st?

Otherwise you can expect queues of people returning sets next month complaining of being able to "receive sound but no picture". According to the specification given in your flier this TV is MPEG2 whereas it needs to be MPEG4 for Ireland.

If the given specification is wrong and the set is in fact Irish DTT/SaorView compatible then you should make this clear.

Thank you.

It doesn't do HD in UK either.

Perfectly Legal. Caveat Emptor applies
    "

Full_HD_LCD_Television: It won't Receive ANY DTT here and in UK will not receive HD.

Unlike France and some other countries we have NO legislation at all other than the TV must be CE marked and a WEEE levy based on size.

Last month they advertised a Computer Monitor as an HDTV! ASAI is useless and funded by business. It's not even a useless Quango or failed Irish Regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

Xtravision are now selling the Hannspree HannJoy range of 'novelty' TVs.

I was looking at the €280 Hannspree 28" ST288M (white only?), but I am suspicious of the lack of info. Googling the model number gives almost nothing, and it seems it's so new the retailer doesn't even have a photo. (They could take these?)

I doubt very much it will support Irish DTT, and there is nothing on the Xtravision or Hannspree website about whether it includes an MPEG4 decoder. (I've found a user manual and specification on the manufacturers site for similar looking model ST288MAW, but no info on MPEG.)

Has anyone bought one? Any opinions?

And what's the story with the 16:10 aspect ratio, when everything else is 16:9?

I notice the 32" SJ-series TV states:
    TV Reception System:
    SDTV and HDTV (MPEG-4 AVC H.264),
    DVB-T with Common Interface. PAL / SECAM
    MHEG5: Yes
    so I take it that the 'novelty' ST288M doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I sent this email to them yesterday - no reply so far obviously:
    I too, sent an email to Lidl back in July, when they were selling two similar models and got the following reply (same day):

Dear ****,
    We write to you following your recent email regarding the Tv's which are on sale on the 22nd July 2010.
    We wish to advise you that we have passed your comments to our Purchasing Department who welcome all suggestions and will certainly bear them in mind for the future.
    Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.
    Regards,
    Customer Services Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

Hi
    Looking for Input on whether this seems a good deal. Or if someone can recommend a better deal for a similar price. Has anyone got a good deal on a LED TV.

The below TV is advertised on the Power City website as Irish DTT ready with Free delivery or collection.

SAMSUNG
    37" 50HZ LCD FULL HD
    LE37C550
    Retail : € 569.95
    Discount : - € 120.00
    You Pay : € 449.95

Technical Specifications
    SAMSUNG 37inch 50HZ LCD FULL HD TV
    CRYSTAL DESIGN
    FILE SHARE WITH (DNLA)
    4X HDMI DIGITAL CONNECTIONS

Guarantee : 1 Year Parts and Labour

Thanks

pigeon1916 wrote: »
    Hi
    Looking for Input on whether this seems a good deal. Or if someone can recommend a better deal for a similar price. Has anyone got a good deal on a LED TV.

The below TV is advertised on the Power City website as Irish DTT ready with Free delivery or collection.

SAMSUNG
    37" 50HZ LCD FULL HD
    LE37C550
    Retail : € 569.95
    Discount : - € 120.00
    You Pay : € 449.95

Technical Specifications
    SAMSUNG 37inch 50HZ LCD FULL HD TV
    CRYSTAL DESIGN
    FILE SHARE WITH (DNLA)
    4X HDMI DIGITAL CONNECTIONS

Guarantee : 1 Year Parts and Labour

Thanks

Looks good, I have been looking around on the net today at the LE37C530 prices and got the following:

Samsung LCD:LE37C530 LCD MPEG4 50Hz
    Pixmania = €519
    Vmaxx = €493
    DID = €550
    Elara = €447

Not sure what the difference is between the 550 and 530, but both seem to do MPEG4. I can afford to wait until November to buy so going to hang on in the hope that the LED prices will start to fall.

There are NO consumer LED TVs.

There ARE LED TVs. But these are LED backlight LCD TVs. Please. :(

watty wrote: »
    There are NO consumer LED TVs.

There ARE LED TVs. But these are LED backlight LCD TVs. Please. :(

Ah come on, that's a bit pedantic, I'm not that thick, Its been flogged to death at this stage, we all know they are LED backlit LCD TV's, I agree the industry has taken a short cut, but the battle is lost, give it up! ;)

And I guess when real LEDs come that will be payback time, as the manufactures will have to qualify, e.g. OLED TV's, (which I suppose you will tell me now is not really a true LED TV either)

REAL LED sets do exist.

The ASAI is useless.

It's misleading and dishonest, so don't encourage it.

OLEDs are indeed really Electroluminescent panels, not true LEDs in the normal sense. But at least they are technically diodes and emit light.

rsmike wrote: »
    Looks good, I have been looking around on the net today at the LE37C530 prices and got the following:

Samsung LCD:LE37C530 LCD MPEG4 50Hz
    Pixmania = €519
    Vmaxx = €493
    DID = €550
    Elara = €447

Not sure what the difference is between the 550 and 530, but both seem to do MPEG4. I can afford to wait until November to buy so going to hang on in the hope that the LED prices will start to fall.

Good price comparison.

I am now thinking like yourself, about waiting until Nov and hope TV prices come down. I know that in the states they drop all prices the day after Thanksgiving. But not so sure about Irish retailers. I wonder if anyone from the trade can say whether it is worth waiting?
    I have been also watching the below TV hoping this price will drop. As I think the LCD/LED price will not drop enough for my price range.

PANASONIC
    42" 600HZ PLASMA FULL HD
    TX-P42S20L
    ONLINE Price : € 749.95

Thanks Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Hey guys will This TV Work by any chance on the Saorview DTT? (Link)

it has Freeview HD Already installed on the tv! Its really cheap FULL HD 1080p aswell and it has DVB-T And DVB-C And yeh! its a bargain this tv i heard it so please answer back!

RobitTV wrote: »

it has Freeview HD Already installed on the tv! Its really cheap FULL HD 1080p aswell and it has DVB-T And DVB-C And yeh! its a bargain this tv i heard it so please answer back!

It says Yes to H.264 on the tuning specifications and I read that
    you may see MPEG-4 Part 10 video referred to as either AVC or H.264. So my guess would be. It will work fine.

But I am far from an expert and would not like for you to buy something that will not work. I am sure Watty or one of the other guys on the forum would be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Are you looking at it on Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

pigeon1916 wrote: »
    It says Yes to H.264 on the tuning specifications and I read that
    you may see MPEG-4 Part 10 video referred to as either AVC or H.264. So my guess would be. It will work fine.

But I am far from an expert and would not like for you to buy something that will not work. I am sure Watty or one of the other guys on the forum would be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Are you looking at it on Argos.

well im looking at it on Amazon.co.uk but i can also buy it from Argos! :)

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, and probably one of the best ways to check is plug in the model number and "mpeg" to google and hit search, if it comes back with many entries containing mpeg4, you are probably safe.

Let me do that for you, ;), I like this little utility

Advertisement