Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This is very interesting. I am thinking of buying a Panasonic TV with Freesat HD and Freeview HD, but am holding off because I do not trust it to work correctly. I will be following this saga with great interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

According to RTÉs Ray maguire; walker technology products ltd is the only company which currently has a range of saorview approved range of television sets?

I emailed RTÉ to fond out when a list of saorview compatible TVs would be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd say that Walker are only company to break pre-launch silence. AFAIK a list is not yet meant to be published.

There is plenty of time as the Info campaign hasn't started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

There's 104 tvs there. Could you be a bit more specific?

• Advertisement

As cheap as possible, its for a bedroom/xbox so I want to spend as little as possible, what am I looking for exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

STB wrote: »

You would hardly get a cheaper better quality one outside Argos. Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

Don't think this is compatible as its mpeg2. Says Freeview, not Freeview HD or Mpeg 4. I am open to correction.

Thanks STB, what exactly tells you in the description that that will be compatible with Irish digital tv though? Any chance of some more options please? Im stuck on a nokia 5800 since my laptop went in for repairs, really appreciate the help.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks STB, what exactly tells you in the description that that will be compatible with Irish digital tv though? Any chance of some more options please? Im stuck on a nokia 5800 since my laptop went in for repairs, really appreciate the help.

Apologies, says here, http://www.itbankeurope.com/19ld350_/ that it has an MPEG4 dvb-t tuner so its fine for Irish Dtt.

Look out for DVB-T MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) or better still hold off as long as you can for certified Saorview products.

Cool thanks, dont suppose theres any 22 inches there with the same is there? Sorry for being a pain in the ass.

Have a look at these. More variety, better prices & quick delivery. If a new tv is urgent, maybe keep an eye out for the above specs.http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/59/xx/0-300/8/3/criteresn_BA00002718-BV00171818.html

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

surf board wrote: »
    Apologies, says here, http://www.itbankeurope.com/19ld350_/ that it has an MPEG4 dvb-t tuner so its fine for Irish Dtt.

Look out for DVB-T MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) or better still hold off as long as you can for certified Saorview products.

It likely is OK, but it must be MPEG-4 High Profile Level 4.0 (or higher) to receive HDTV*

Small size TV sets may not need an HD display, but if - as I believe this is the RTÉ plan - there will not be SD simulcast, then you will be without a signal and unable to watch anything.

Lars :)

*Last week a MPEG-4 STB without HP @L 4.0 was in my local Aldi supermarket.

reslfj wrote: »
    It likely is OK, but it must be MPEG-4 High Profile Level 4.0 (or higher) to receive HDTV*

Small size TV sets may not need an HD display, but if - as I believe this is the RTÉ plan - there will not be SD simulcast, then you will be without a signal and unable to watch anything.

*Last week a MPEG-4 STB without HP @L 4.0 was in my local Aldi supermarket.

Ah yes. The also important HP @L 4.0!

Some specs say "TNT HD" which would probably be ok also.Have a Samsung 37" b450 & 40" b650 & both are fine for DTT. Both said TNT HD in their spec.

How many people went and bought the set in Aldi & thought it would be ok?

As Watty et al, continue to stress, maybe hold off for Saorview certified tv's & stb's.

Nothing. i am familar with what models do and dont work. THe specs are always wrong on UK websites. Few people use the bigger ones in the LD350 range. You could get it cheaper on Richersounds proably.

MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1 is the profile level.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

Hi Folks,

On a sticky thread titled " TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder ", I was funnily enuff hoping to find a list of TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder, or maybe individual postings on just that subject, and it did seem to start out that way when the thread started, but now especially the more recent postings there are 75 pages containing posts on many other topics , e.g. Aerials, STB's, Lip sync on DTT, setting up Freesat, European DVB standards ...................

I wish I had the time to filter out the postings that are on topic.

I need to get a new 37/40" TV now, and it seems like Samsung or Philips are pretty safe bets at this stage for MPEG4 DTT?

RSmike,

Yes it did get hijacked at various points I agree.

If I was to post a list it would be very long.

You are looking for a Tv that has "MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1" and "MHEG5"

Mheg5 is normally only seen in UK profile TVs but they use MPEG2 so its hit and miss.

So you ciould search for a "TNT HD" Tv and it would be fine - but it may not have MHEG5 which will be used for epg and teletext long term.

All manufacturers have MPEG4 Tvs you just have to google the models to get the spec. LG, Sharp, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony Phillips, (the H serious).

Nothing. i am familar with what models do and dont work. THe specs are always wrong on UK websites. Few people use the bigger ones in the LD350 range. You could get it cheaper on Richersounds proably.

Thanks mate, is there any chance this one will do the job?

www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296400/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Bentertainment%2Band%2Bsat%2Bnav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419512%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419667%7CLCD%2BTVs%7C19878730.htm

RSmike,

Yes it did get hijacked at various points I agree.

If I was to post a list it would be very long.

You are looking for a Tv that has "MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1" and "MHEG5"

Mheg5 is normally only seen in UK profile TVs but they use MPEG2 so its hit and miss.

So you ciould search for a "TNT HD" Tv and it would be fine - but it may not have MHEG5 which will be used for epg and teletext long term.

All manufacturers have MPEG4 Tvs you just have to google the models to get the spec. LG, Sharp, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony Phillips, (the H serious).

But could we set up a new thread where people can put in the make model, price and specification of tv's they have bought and tested in Ireland. I am mad to get a new tv but I am concerned that if I do it won't work when Saorview is officially launched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Level 4.1 is OK, but the requirement is Level 4.0 only.

Level 4.2 is needed for FullHD 1080p50 - AFAIR - but support for this will require faster chips and with more memory. Ofcom/the UK Brodcasters did not believe such chips would be availabel by December 2009, when the DVB-T2 D-Book spec. was frozen in early 2009.

Anything with B at end is British model. Stay away. Not alone is it likely to be MPEG2 (not MPEG4) it is normally is UK Dbook if its not.

2 LGs below - a 19" and 22" less than €180 Make sure you see this logoTNTHD.jpeg

Note you will not get MHEG5 fancy epg/text on the TNT HD TVs but they will display the channel and audio.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/rf/tnt-hd/__?t=3_1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Deedsie wrote: »
    But could we set up a new thread where people can put in the make model, price and specification of tv's they have bought and tested in Ireland. I am mad to get a new tv but I am concerned that if I do it won't work when Saorview is officially launched.

I think at this stage that could be a bad idea.

watty wrote: »

Also looks like the list is limited at the moment of actual certified products. Outside Walker other brands may not come on stream until the end of the year/ next year at this stage.

Walker's TV range that has "apparently" been certified is on their homepage walker.ie in the brochure.

If you want a more established brand name, you will have to wait. You should at least wait until the end of October til we see how the existing brands are coping with RTE Nl's broadcasts via MHEG5 and service flags .

watty wrote: »

Not being smart, and definitely not trying to annoy the forum. Some great time saving info to be found here. But why would it be a bad idea?

It would stop everyone asking if this one will work they could just check the list for make model size etc?

reslfj wrote: »
    Level 4.1 is OK, but the requirement is Level 4.0 only.

Level 4.2 is needed for FullHD 1080p50 - AFAIR - but support for this will require faster chips and with more memory. Ofcom/the UK Brodcasters did not believe such chips would be availabel by December 2009, when the DVB-T2 D-Book spec. was frozen in early 2009.

.....4.1 is the profile level of that particular TV (the LG LD 350) that people were debating Lars!

RTE wont be broadcasting outside the spec 4.0 published and certainly not anything above 20m/bits. They are as low as 3.

Any media encoded above HP@L4 will limit the mkv movies etc that you can play on the USB port

If anyone wants to know the limitations of each level scroll down to levels on this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Anything with B at end is British model. Stay away. Not alone is it likely to be MPEG2 (not MPEG4) it is normally is UK Dbook if its not.

2 LGs below - a 19" and 22" less than €180 Make sure you see this logoTNTHD.jpeg

Note you will not get MHEG5 fancy epg/text on the TNT HD TVs but they will display the channel and audio.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/rf/tnt-hd/__?t=3_1
    Well that 22 inch LG looks excellent but no tv guide would be too big a drawback I think, thanks anyway mate, good to know what to look for anyway, its shocking that Argos and the rest are still flogging this stuff.

Well that 22 inch LG looks excellent but no tv guide would be too big a drawback I think, thanks anyway mate, good to know what to look for anyway, its shocking that Argos and the rest are still flogging this stuff.

RTE also broadcast DVB-SI/EIT data that will give you 7 day epg and old aertel text BUT we do not know how long RTE will persist with same in parallel to MHEG5.

Unfortunately whilst Ireland's DTT spec is out since the beginning of 2008 the manufacturers have been slow to bring the specs within Irelands Country profile on each IDTVs firmware. Its a simple fix for existing products sold by manufacturers but how they apply the fix to customers is the problem. They dont want customers killing their TVs with wrong firmware by offering it on websites (LG are one of few that actually do). Also certfied Saorview products are the only candidates that would be allowed over the air updates. OTA updates are costly anyhow. Realistically you want something that works out of the box with no restricted firmware.

Gotta wait for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

RTE also broadcast DVB-SI/EIT data that will give you 7 day epg and old aertel text BUT we do not know how long RTE will persist with same in parallel to MHEG5.

will channel selection be available using the tv guide in mheg5? i.e. at the moment on tv's using the provided DVB epg data you can select the channel using the guide, can that be done using an aertel type interface?

i guess the real question is can a tv populate it's own epg using mheg5 data or does it just remain an overlay like aertel is at the moment

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    will channel selection be available using the tv guide in mheg5? i.e. at the moment on tv's using the provided DVB epg data you can select the channel using the guide, can that be done using an aertel type interface?

i guess the real question is can a tv populate it's own epg using mheg5 data or does it just remain an overlay like aertel is at the moment

Oh I get what you are asking. The data being generated by non MHEG5 TVs and their EPG program display is gathered from EIT. So once that is being broadcst, yeah no problem.

However, RTE will have their own EPG look like Freesat built on MHEG5 - as I understand it RTE have been testing its own EPG via MHEG5 alongside the EIT data being broadcast over the last few months.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/172953/116234.jpg

Aertel is the old VBI text.
    171.gif

That will be replaced also by an MHEG5 based digital text service.
    21kdylu.jpg

Use of MHEG5 gives universal control and feel. How long before the VBI text etc is dropped, we do no know.

Advertisement