Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony BluRay Player with 6 free BluRay Discs and movie rental vouchers €249.99.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Nice one! PS3 it is then! Bring on the Jan sales! :D

Ya sorry about temporarily hijacking the thread! Feck the Jan sales, going to buy one in HK! PS3 80gb works out around €260!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Thread hijack is over? Phew! :p

I tried ringing Sony yesterday but I never got an answer, will try tomorrow and see if they're still having problems with their website & if my order went through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

PIMPHO wrote: »
    Good stuff. Made up on getting the PS3 now! Does it only upscale normal dvds to 720p? I've got a HD Ready LCD 1080i so the PS3 should upscale dvds to 1080i, ya?

It does but ive put mine back down from 1080i to 720p i think on the larger screen (42")it makes a little difference. But its the kind of difference between brilliant and awesome :D

It does but ive put mine back down from 1080i to 720p i think on the larger screen (42")it makes a little difference. But its the kind of difference between brilliant and awesome :D

I've got a 40" so will be watching it in all its glory at 1080i!! Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

1080p true cinema for the win. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

PS3 without question the blue ray player can only play films the ps3 can do that and games and stream from PCs.

Doesn't the PS3 produce far more noise than this standalone Blu Ray player?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Another reason I went for the standalone player mathie, I heard it does :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bond-007 wrote: »
    1080p true cinema for the win. :D

You cant beat it!

mathie wrote: »
    Doesn't the PS3 produce far more noise than this standalone Blu Ray player?

Sure I won't hear it as I'll have it hooked up to the surround sound system! BOOM! :D

Ya I know you can't beat 1080P but don't have a Full HD LCD yet so will have to make do with 1080i. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers,eh?! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

do you get a email off sony after reg?

• Advertisement

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Got it!! :P

Fine picture and sound but holy jazus does it drive like a steamroller. What's this " you may have to wait 2 or 3 minutes" lark? Stop play and you are politely told that you will have to start replay from the start of the film?? The network needs another add on to connect wirelessly??

Holy moley but there was a lot about Blu Ray I didn't know. I'm a little beyond the games age but the PS3 ia a million times better value and so much quicker. (My son has one in his appartment)

Just about worth it for the picture but Blu Ray has a bit to go or thr machines a good poke processor wise.

Oh yeah and what's the crack with having to buy a memory stick to get extra fewtures :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

Just updated my BDP-S350 using the region hack, and all works perfectly.

Even plays R1 RCE titles with no problems at all!

Excellente! ;)

Sudo911

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

sudo911 wrote: »

Excellente! ;)

Sudo911

Was that with a one for all remote? Which one? And its only dvd region hack

Tbh, it is pointless trying to hack it because it will void your warranty.

You can easily buy a very cheap hacked player for watching region 1 DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

Would appreciate a bit of help, bought this blu ray player and have connected it to TV using HDMI cable. Picture is perfect but I'm having to turn the sound up to setting 40 on my tv, were as I watch regular TV (sky SD) on volume setting 10. I expect I'm doing something or set something wrong. Thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Tbh, it is pointless trying to hack it because it will void your warranty.

Making it DVD Region Free doesn't void the warranty. You're not actually modifying it (hardware or firmware).

That is typical of DVD players in general. Set the audio to Dolby 5.1 and see it that helps.

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    Making it DVD Region Free doesn't void the warranty. You're not actually modifying it (hardware or firmware).
    Sony would disagree with you there.
    You are obviously making changes to the player so that you can play disks that were not intended to be played on that player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Have you got a source on Sony voiding warranties based on changing the region of a player where no hardware modifications were made or the player opened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

sudo911 wrote: »

Excellente! ;)

Sudo911

What remote did you use?

kearnsr wrote: »
    Was that with a one for all remote? Which one? And its only dvd region hack

Used my Logitech Harmony 885 to set the region-free. I was concerned that it would only set it to region 0 - but RCE titles would not work with that setup so was pleasantly surprised when I tested it.

I posted somewhere here on boards about how to do it - but there are two methods.... using a Harmony all-in-one remote control, or those All4one remotes you can get in Argos.

AVJunkie over at AVForums has setup a profile on the Logitech Harmony website that you can log into and then download the codes to your remote control. It's all macro based, so you just power on your player - hit one button on the remote - and hey presto 5 seconds later you are region free!

The profile you download also the hack for the Pioneer and Panasonic players. Once you are finished, you can just log back into your own profile and download your original settings onto the remote.

Sudo911.

Mizu_Ger wrote: »

Agreed, the hack I used is soft-based.... they are the same codes from a Sony engineering remote. Perfectly safe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

in Peats on Dame Street you can get it with 5 films (including hancock, wall-e & mamma mia) for the same €249 and no pre-ordering

Sale price now €219

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

ZygOte wrote: »
    Sale price now €219
    Nice price, any other sale prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

There is a setting you can change in the menu to adjust the volume, It is in the audio settings and you have to switch the player to output volume for TV I think it is the ATT setttings. (not near the system to check)

This will give a normal volume when watching on a regular TV and not using Surround Sound System.

I have had the problem and this cured it, although I only had the issue with Blu Ray discs not regular DVD's. Had to play Dark Knight at 55% volume rather than 25% to hear the soundtrack, this brought it back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

There is a setting you can change in the menu to adjust the volume, It is in the audio settings and you have to switch the player to output volume for TV I think it is the ATT setttings. (not near the system to check)

This will give a normal volume when watching on a regular TV and not using Surround Sound System.

I have had the problem and this cured it, although I only had the issue with Blu Ray discs not regular DVD's. Had to play Dark Knight at 55% volume rather than 25% to hear the soundtrack, this brought it back to normal.

Thanks GiftGrub I'll give that a try & report back !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

I just bought this player (Its great by the way) and cannot for the life of me get the online registration to work. I really dont want to be swindled out of two free movies here. I've gotten to the part where you must create a "My sony" account with absolutely no luck. i keep getting an "invalid request" Agh sorry for this rant, i can't help it.

Maybe some of you guys have had a similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

See my posts on page 11 & 12 on this thread. Managed to do it eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

The_Edge wrote: »
    See my posts on page 11 & 12 on this thread. Managed to do it eventually!
    Had a look at your posts, thanks. Sounds like the same thing alright.

When you tried to do it again did it tell you the disk has already been used to register? If that's the case why didnt i get an email about it?

Advertisement