Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deputies Deasy and Mitchell's comments in the media

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

rrpc wrote: »
    You didn't by any chance write to John Deasy, did you thehair?

no i did not rrpc my rant is about how good honest sports shooters are getting
    the bad end of the media=ie pistol . handgun owners are getting linked to
    all and anthink that happens with a firearm lets get the good guy and leave
    the bad guys with the big house and cars and lots of cash alone steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Right folks, can we now draw a line under the name calling and similar childish behaviour?
    We all know that feelings are running high and we all feel victimised and put upon, but there's no need to descend to the level of the playground.

By all means criticise the proponents and supporters of this proposed legislation and most certainly refute their FUD-mongering with well reasoned arguments and cold, hard statistics and facts, but please, let's not demean ourselves by resorting to petty name calling.
    By definition, we're law abiding respectable people (we wouldn't have been granted Firearm Certificates if we were otherwise), let's behave as such.

I see some posters have had second thoughts on what they wrote and have deleted or edited their posts, thanks to them for that.

Any further posts in this vein will be deleted, and persistent offenders will be looking at infractions or bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Rovi

I disagree. It's time to get angry, and let them know how angry we are. Anybody who has wrung concessions out of this government has wrung them out by saying "No" and meaning it.

I think it's obvious that the Min. for Justice has seen our willingness to "consult" as a sign of weakness. You're supposed to consult before you make pronouncements, not after, when a fait accomplit is presented and we go to beg scraps from the table.

When you say "descend to the level of the playground" do you not mean "descend to the level of the Dail"?

As regards name calling, we have been characterised as being on the same level as gangsters, drug dealers and hit-men.

I, for one, am teed off, and I think it's a natural reaction.

In the words of Peter Finch "I'm angry as hell and I'm not going to take any more!"

By the way, this is not a challenge to a Moderator, just a discussion point.

Especially since I get the impression my media whore post is what you're talking about. Which I stand by.

I have worked close to politicians and believe me, you wouldn't be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Good response from Des Crofton in relation to Mr. Deasys comments
    http://www.nargc.ie/site.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Dermot Ahern brings home Gold for Ireland in Olympic Backpeddling Event 2012.

WELL DONE so far!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

reply sent to Ms Mitchell

I recieved the following reply from Ms Mitchell this morning. I dont really think that she is taking on board the points I made, but to be fair she has replyed.

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for your response to my email, I am sorry if you felt my reply
    was overly generic but as you can appreciate I have received a large number
    of emails from gun owners covering many similar issues.

I appreciate the various points that you make and would like to clarify a
    number of issues that are outstanding in relation to the proposed ban
    announced by Minister Ahern last week.

Under the proposed ban:

* No new licences will be issued for handguns, but handguns used in
    Olympic sports will be exempt.

* Gun owners with existing handgun licences can have them renewed if
    they abide with new, strict licensing conditions

I hope this is of some information to you and clarifies any
    misunderstandings.

Yours sincerely,

Olivia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

kerryman12 wrote: »
    Under the proposed ban:

* No new licences will be issued for handguns, but handguns used in
    Olympic sports will be exempt.

* Gun owners with existing handgun licences can have them renewed if
    they abide with new, strict licensing conditions

To paraphrase

We haven't the balls to kill your sport so we'll let it die slowly.

perhaps I was wrong in my last post, see below txt of follow up mail

I agree with you about tackling the criminals and the illegal guns which I believe actually come in with the drugs.

Olivia

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

kerryman12 wrote: »
    the illegal guns which I believe actually come in with the drugs
    Excellent! Now all she has to do is to retract her earlier linking of licenced handgun owners with the level of gun crime in Limerick and state the above in public.

• Advertisement

was that sarcasm sparks, I couldnt really tell ;)

its better than nothing.

Advertisement