Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

uberpixie wrote: »
    Thought that was a nice touch tbh. The torch is mounted on the end of the gun after all......

Yeah, no I understand why they do it. But it just makes using it a pain, and there's no way to force it to stay off at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i kinda like the torch thing, plenty of times i've been shooting zombies in the dark and then had to reload, torch goes up, comes back down. just in time to shoot a zombie in the face.

sorry about that molatov last night :o

uglyjohn wrote: »
    sorry about that molatov last night :o

Yeah... its one thing getting hit accidentally by some shotgun fire, its another thing having a molotov thrown on me.

I think sometimes though, sacrificing a member is better than trying to save them, and then just resurrecting them at the next respawn point. A downed team member seems to act like a pipe bomb in that all the zombies will be attracted to them. Makes it perfect to just throw a molotov into the pack :p

Also, I think people with shotguns should always be in front, they are way to inaccurate at anything more than a few feet. The amount of times I've gotten sprayed by friendly shotgun fire is ridiculous. Also you can pretty much kiss the team goodbye if someone with a shotgun gets puked on by a boomer as they will be semi blinded and usually start unloading their shotgun in all directions as the zombies will be attracted to them.

protip: If you are puked on DON'T FIRE, back away from your team and melee attack anyone running at you.

protip2: If you have a shotgun DO NOT TRY AND SHOOT A HUNTER off a teammate, you will, without fail, end up shooting your teammate also. Its better to melee attack them and then shoot them. Alternatively use your pistol

what i find very effective is using the uzi to rake them from the side when they are chasing someone who was puked on or swarming on someone on the ground. i wonder if bomer puke attracts extra zombies or just the ones who are around anyway. if its the ones around anyway that could be a good tactic to thin the horde....ie someone gets puked on deliberatly then runs past the other three who shoot the horde from the side as it streams by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

L31mr0d wrote: »
    protip2: If you have a shotgun DO NOT TRY AND SHOOT A HUNTER off a teammate, you will, without fail, end up shooting your teammate also. Its better to melee attack them and then shoot them. Alternatively use your pistol

;) (Click).

Of course, you can bring in the argument that multiple people trying to clear the hunter/smoker will lead to some FF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

what i find very effective is using the uzi to rake them from the side when they are chasing someone who was puked on or swarming on someone on the ground. i wonder if bomer puke attracts extra zombies or just the ones who are around anyway. if its the ones around anyway that could be a good tactic to thin the horde....ie someone gets puked on deliberatly then runs past the other three who shoot the horde from the side as it streams by.

Boomer puke attracts extra zombies. Getting hit is a very bad thing.

right....well that answers my question.

i dont see why the full game is being released on tuesday, it would suit me so much better if it unlocked on sunday. icant wait to play the full campaign.....im getting sick of the same 2 maps constantly.

;) (Click).

Of course, you can bring in the argument that multiple people trying to clear the hunter/smoker will lead to some FF.

good to know cheers. Its good to know also about the smokers as I was always trying to be careful and aim for the smoker only.

EDIT: Also, you can pre-load the full version of L4D now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

L31mr0d wrote: »
    good to know cheers. Its good to know also about the smokers as I was always trying to be careful and aim for the smoker only.

Not so fast... from a sticky on the same site:

"the only way to effectively combat some of the Boss-Infected without hurting your teammates is to melee them away before using the more deadly aspects of your chosen weapon."

:confused:(Click)

Fnz wrote: »
    Not so fast... from a sticky on the same site:

"the only way to effectively combat some of the Boss-Infected without hurting your teammates is to melee them away before using the more deadly aspects of your chosen weapon."

:confused:(Click)

That post looks old though. I think its been tested a lot since and proved that you receive no damage. However people get a little gungho and keep spraying the hunter even after its killed and end up hitting you when you are freed. Its still best practice to melee the hunter first as this will immediately knock them off and stop them from doing more damage.

Also, I'm preloading now at around 600KB/s :( must be american servers or something (I've got a 2.2MB line)

• Advertisement

does anyone else love letting one run right up to you and then shoving it away and shooting it?

id say the preload will be pretty fast, you already have the engine, interface and most of the models/weapons. now its just the maps left and a few bits and pieces/updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

does anyone else love letting one run right up to you and then shoving it away and shooting it?

id say the preload will be pretty fast, you already have the engine, interface and most of the models/weapons. now its just the maps left and a few bits and pieces/updates.

Ive heard the full install is 10 gigs, so even reusing the 3 gigs downloaded for the demo there will still be another 7 gigs to download.

seriously? at the risk of sounding stupid how can it be an extra seven? i think when i preloaded HL episode 2 it started at 70something% which i assumed was because of the other source games i had installed and common content.

was this a stupid assumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

seriously? at the risk of sounding stupid how can it be an extra seven? i think when i preloaded HL episode 2 it started at 70something% which i assumed was because of the other source games i had installed and common content.

was this a stupid assumption?

TBH I have no idea if the 10 gig figure is even correct, its just something I read somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well the Steam store says you need 7.5Gig available:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/500/

I finished downloading and it has a separate folder to the L4D demo. It's size is 4.41GB. Maybe that's its compressed size and it gets unpacked on the day of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

my preload only came in at 1.5 gig

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think they must be releasing the preload data in chunks. Mine finishd preloading yesterday at 1.62GB, now its started again today at 3%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally downloaded the demo & played some single player. My first impressions (apart from "well t hat was brief") was that it is indeed a bit hectic & a bit of a clusterf*ck at times, but then ill play a bit more and see how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

After playing through the Demo twice Online on Expert straight away and completing it, its now boring. I wonder how the full game will deal with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

After playing through the Demo twice Online on Expert straight away and completing it, its now boring. I wonder how the full game will deal with this.

20 more maps, 10 more weapons and a modding community :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm just wondering how tough expert is going to be in the final release. If the demo is only 1.5 levels and I've never finished that level without everyone in an absolute jock then I think I won't be beating it any time soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Were you playing online or single player? If single player, no wonder..

If online, were you playing with your mates or random net people?

For me 60% of the fun is having 3 close friends screaming "TAAAAANK" down their mics as we're all running away shooting over our shoulders as the big scary tank chucks boulders at us from a far.

This game needs to be played with your friends , with mics on, to really experience it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how tough expert is going to be in the final release. If the demo is only 1.5 levels and I've never finished that level without everyone in an absolute jock then I think I won't be beating it any time soon :)

Haha agreed! Normal difficulty is do-able with a few cuts and bruises but as soon as you knock it up to expert it took me and a few peeps EIGHT re-tries to get to the end. Literally if you don't know what your doing, run ahead of the others thinking your John Rambo or just in general few sambo's short of a picnic basket your gonna die VERY quickly on expert.

Played it a bit more & it's not growing on me I'm afraid. I know it's only a demo & there's more maps to come, but I can't see how they're going to differ from "get from A to B without dying". Multiplayer always make a game more interesting, but it didn't change the experience all that much (if anything, it became that bit more frustrating when something goes wrong).

The AI director is smart & you get some real nice peaks and troughs of action, but to be honest it feels more like a mod than a full game (as in, I wouldn't pay for this). The gunplay feels nice & meety though.

It really is a different experience with people you know with voice coms, have you tried that?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It really is a different experience with people you know with voice coms, have you tried that?
    I don't have a mic unfortunately, but even so it's the limited nature of the game that leaves me cold. A2B, bang bang bang. Most games are more fun with people you know anyway, so I just don't see what'll separate Left 4 Dead from the rest. It doesn't seem worth paying for; maybe 6 months down the line if Valve pull a TF2 and update the game to the same extent i might rethink it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I know 4 real life mates who are deffo buying this game, and then another two who are a good possibility. (need new pc's but may be getting them soon)

My intention is to buy it almost solely to play with them when they can go online and try and beat it with them. (over the course of a few gaming sessions etc)

I probably wont even play it unless a mate or two are online.

Sure online games are always better when playing with your mates, but this is almost fully indented to be played with your mates... if you get me.

Thats the genius of co-op 4 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't have a mic unfortunately, but even so it's the limited nature of the game that leaves me cold. A2B, bang bang bang. Most games are more fun with people you know anyway, so I just don't see what'll separate Left 4 Dead from the rest. It doesn't seem worth paying for; maybe 6 months down the line if Valve pull a TF2 and update the game to the same extent i might rethink it though.

On the surface it's just A2B bang bang bang yeah, but the journey is just so much fun.

• Advertisement

OctavarIan wrote: »
    On the surface it's just A2B bang bang bang yeah, but the journey is just so much fun.
    True perhaps; maybe I'm just looking for a good excuse to avoid shelling out more money for a new "hype" game. It is getting too expensive to buy stuff willy nilly.

Advertisement