Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

And my mates :S who are all on different ISP's.

Oh and to answer my own question. NO, port forwarding doesnt help

Can't get any higher then 90kb/s and its constant;y going up and down.

WTF?

I've tried re-connecting to steam a number of times. Nothing helps :S

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I reckon its just everyone trying to get it from steam at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yeah but why do some people suffer with **** speeds and others don't :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a go at this on xbox live since it's unbelieveably slow to download on steam. Had some really good games, best to play it on the highest difficulty level I think. Think somebody sat on my microphone and broke it. the idiots I was playing it with decided to go look for some health insteadof going straight for the exit when it was around the corner. Cue me screaming down the mic to no avail and us getting raped by the next wave of zombies that finished us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Epic good fun with a few irish lad's just now if anyone wishs to add me on steam for a few game's my id is Darkireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Had a go at this on xbox live since it's unbelieveably slow to download on steam. Had some really good games, best to play it on the highest difficulty level I think. Think somebody sat on my microphone and broke it. the idiots I was playing it with decided to go look for some health insteadof going straight for the exit when it was around the corner. Cue me screaming down the mic to no avail and us getting raped by the next wave of zombies that finished us off.

I did the same, will download off Steam tomorrow when the queue has lessened somewhat.

Only had a few games so far on xbox version, finished a game on advanced fairly easily, then been playing on expert since and getting my ass handed to me. People don't stick together so we spend most of the time on the ground. Dreading running into a tank -_-

And yeah, people running around the level exploring is really annoying. It's like some of them think it's a deathmatch game and don't know about the safe house.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

I'm assuming that people want to see Irish based public servers for this...?

On the assumption that the answer to that question is yes I can announce that Irish E-Sports will be hosting at least one, if not more l4d servers launch of the game (we won't be hosting any demo servers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Those zombies are damn fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Just had my first taste.

On a scale of 1 to 10 ... the game is very good. ;)

[Edit] How are there no reviews of L4D yet? It's out in less than a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Fnz wrote: »
    [Edit] How are there no reviews of L4D yet? It's out in less than a week!
    Thats completely standard, you won't see reviews till much closer to release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

the demo is wearing thin at this stage... It's still good but there is only so many times you can play the same 2 levels over and over again. :rolleyes:

Plus they messed something up in the patch that was released yesterday. A lot of people online are complaining about timeouts, getting kicked from servers, the game crashing and the audio going into a loop... etc

Hopefully they'll have patched these issues by the time I get home this evening.

One thing I've noticed is that if you find a weapon stockpile in expert mode, it pretty much means that the next area is going to have a tank in it. Like in all games, weapon stockpiles are never a good thing :p

Also, constantly moving forward is key. This can be achieved fairly easily in the subway if you have at least 1 pipe bomb. You throw it at the ammo pile mid way through which will kill most of the zombies and then if you run to the train at the far end you can bottleneck any attacking zombies that are following you. Staying in the same place for more than a few seconds is suicide. You will either be pounced on by a hunter, attacked by a horde and a boomer or get tied up by a smoker (god I hate those smokers :mad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Yeah, I've had terrible trouble connecting to games since that patch. I must have tried to connect to that game with leimrod, max and darkireland about 20 times.

Expert seems to be a bit harder since it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i agree about the demo wearing thin. to be honest i think the demo was done badly, it feels more like a beta. its way to short to get a good taste of what a full campaign would be like. as it is you have 2 weeks of people playing to death a small section of the game. those maps will become as familure to people as cs_dust, cs_dust2 2fort etc.

just a thought but maybe it would have been better to give people a full campaign for a limited ammount of time. eg the demo expires after a week (with an extension if you pre order)

i will come back here and have a proper rant about this but for now there is just one thing i want to mention.

i understood from the description that there would be alternate routes through the maps. i dont like how linear they are, whats that map in tf2 wher the different area open up depending on how who takes which objective?
    there should be something like that where he survivors can go down diferent streets or along rooftops instead of always going the same way.

@leimrod, i must try that with the flashlight....not that it makes much difference since a boomer always voms on me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Didn't really notice anything if the flash light was off,

anyway if people wanna add me for afew games i go by Kitaz on Steam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i agree about the demo wearing thin. to be honest i think the demo was done badly, it feels more like a beta. its way to short to get a good taste of what a full campaign would be like. as it is you have 2 weeks of people playing to death a small section of the game. those maps will become as familure to people as cs_dust, cs_dust2 2fort etc.

just a thought but maybe it would have been better to give people a full campaign for a limited ammount of time. eg the demo expires after a week (with an extension if you pre order)

i will come back here and have a proper rant about this but for now there is just one thing i want to mention.

i understood from the description that there would be alternate routes through the maps. i dont like how linear they are, whats that map in tf2 wher the different area open up depending on how who takes which objective?
    there should be something like that where he survivors can go down diferent streets or along rooftops instead of always going the same way.

@leimrod, i must try that with the flashlight....not that it makes much difference since a boomer always voms on me anyway.

There is an alternate route in the apartment level if you go around by the truck at the corner of the main street, you go through some warehouse and end up facing the alarm car from the other side. It's alot longer and more claustrophobic, so pointless then.

you're rignt, my bad. i think 99% of the time i've gone the other way and thats why i forgot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

my left for dead experience can be summed up thusly.

THEY'RE COMING OUTTA THE WALLS! THEY'RE COMING OUTTA THE GODDAMN WALLS!

it's pretty cool alright the zombies can jump out of anywhere pretty funny looking at a horde smash through the 2 story window and jump down on the first level and the smokers and hunters on the roofs,

it's the damn boomers that annoy me the most no matter how fat and noisy they are they always get a jump on you unless there in a tunnel with no where else to go,

But what really made me go WOW was when i spotted a boomer on a stairway after he knew i spotted him he then took an alternate routh and came up behind us, pretty smart coding in this game

KilOit wrote: »
    Didn't really notice anything if the flash light was off,

anyway if people wanna add me for afew games i go by Kitaz on Steam

Yeah we where playing with you last night (why don't people keep the same usernames :rolleyes:)

To test the flashlight, while in darkness with it off shoot at a Zombie once to get it to run at you, then side step, you'll notice it runs at where you where and not where you've moved to. Do this again but leave your flashlight on. You'll notice the Zombie will track to your new location

Yeah last night I had one of those experiences, in the last subway room where you have to flick a switch we where lucky enough to encounter a Tank :( So I high tailed it to the underground area, thinking I was safe. Only for the tank to DROP DOWN THROUGH THE CEILING and land on me, and IT WAS ON FIRE... I was just on the ground being stomped on. I was so shocked that I didn't even let off a shot at it, I was still trying to figure out how it had morphed through the ceiling, landed on me and caught fire.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Yeah last night I had one of those experiences, in the last subway room where you have to flick a switch we where lucky enough to encounter a Tank :( So I high tailed it to the underground area, thinking I was safe. Only for the tank to DROP DOWN THROUGH THE CEILING and land on me, and IT WAS ON FIRE... I was just on the ground being stomped on. I was so shocked that I didn't even let off a shot at it, I was still trying to figure out how it had morphed through the ceiling, landed on me and caught fire.

I told him you guys were there.

Pro-tip: negotiation with tanks is unprofitable.

• Advertisement

Maximilian wrote: »
    I told him you guys were there.

Pro-tip: negotiation with tanks is unprofitable.

haha, I think afterwards I figured out that he was on fire because you had smashed a molotov over its head :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How big is this demo btw?

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Only for the tank to DROP DOWN THROUGH THE CEILING and land on me, and IT WAS ON FIRE... I was just on the ground being stomped on. I was so shocked that I didn't even let off a shot at it, I was still trying to figure out how it had morphed through the ceiling, landed on me and caught fire.

there is a hole in the ground behind the minigun, maybe that comes out in the underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Awesome, awesome game. the main infected hordes go down a bit too easily but the boss monsters, especailly that damn Tank, can be tough.

I added a few of you as friends on Steam btw, I'm Neptunious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to try and get this up and running on steam tonight, my username is retr0gamer. Xboxlive was really laggy and I had a few disconnects so want the full keyboard and mouse experience :)

One thing I noticed that annoyed me in the xbox version was that there was no light source from other peoples flashlights only your own. Is this in the PC version?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

You can see everyones flashlight in the PC version.

I have sent a friends invite to you on steam retro.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm going to try and get this up and running on steam tonight, my username is retr0gamer. Xboxlive was really laggy and I had a few disconnects so want the full keyboard and mouse experience :)

One thing I noticed that annoyed me in the xbox version was that there was no light source from other peoples flashlights only your own. Is this in the PC version?

No, not on the demo but i have seen vids of the full version where flashlights can be seen by party members, you can see that the light is on ofc but it's just an indicator it doesn't throw any light out,

There was a big disscussion on one of the left4dead forums about this that it causes alot of system load because servers have to calculate other players light on your screen,

Id say it will be shipped with an option to turn it on or off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Everyone knows there is a Boards steam group and you can see what people in the group are playing, right? If you want friends for the popup or whatever then my name is SmellyIrishMan (I conform to standards L31mr0d).

Everyone knows there is a Boards steam group and you can see what people in the group are playing, right? If you want friends for the popup or whatever then my name is SmellyIrishMan (I conform to standards L31mr0d).

Forgot about that, will have to join it tonight, haven't been on steam in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

pixelburp wrote: »
    How big is this demo btw?

Pretty damn big for a demo. It was about 3gb, the full game looks to be over 10gb.

Advertisement