Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mantel wrote: »
    Pretty damn big for a demo. It was about 3gb, the full game looks to be over 10gb.
    Hmmm right then, guess I won't be playing that anytime soon, not with my 2Mb connection :rolleyes: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

probably already mentioned further back in this thread..but the demo is now availible on steam to people who have not pre-ordered the game..hopefully should get a game in later

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

KilOit wrote: »
    There was a big disscussion on one of the left4dead forums about this that it causes alot of system load because servers have to calculate other players light on your screen,

Id say it will be shipped with an option to turn it on or off

Yeah I noticed that myself. I wanted to be able to turn my flashlight off as there would be no point in 4 of us pointing our flashlights in front, but when I did I could see the light coming out of the others flashlights but no light on the walls. I just assumed it was a glitch or something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wouldn't there be a better way of doing this though? They could just send the vector of where the light is pointed and let your computer work out the light sourcing. It might be a bit choppy, I wouldn't know, not too clued in on these things, just think with a tiny bit of optimisation it would be easy to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I just wanna say that when I play the game, I do see my teammates lights, shining on the walls etc.

The just don't illuminate things for youron your screen the way it would with your one on.

Also I wish the lights were OFF by default. Sick of telling people to turn them off.

I really hope in the full version of the game, settings are highly tweakable. I'd love to play the game where guns are very rare and all you mainly have is pistols (not duel pistols though) with slightly reduced zombie hordes...kinda thing. More of a slower paced horror style then the "mow down millions of zombies " style atm.

• Advertisement

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Sick of telling people to turn them off.

The more people play it the less it will need to be said. I'm sick of people running through my line of fire or not crouching when in front. That said I'm guilty of it sometimes when I see a pipe bomb and just have to get it :p

The amount of times also I've ran off to clear an area just to be shot in the head on the way back because somebody thought I was a zombie :rolleyes: this game really gives you an itchy trigger finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I just wanna say that when I play the game, I do see my teammates lights, shining on the walls etc.

The just don't illuminate things for youron your screen the way it would with your one on.

Also I wish the lights were OFF by default. Sick of telling people to turn them off.

I really hope in the full version of the game, settings are highly tweakable. I'd love to play the game where guns are very rare and all you mainly have is pistols (not duel pistols though) with slightly reduced zombie hordes...kinda thing. More of a slower paced horror style then the "mow down millions of zombies " style atm.

No way man the more zombies the better, i hope theres some level where theres like 4 mini guns and you have to mow down 100 zombies before they can get you, now that would be epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm right then, guess I won't be playing that anytime soon, not with my 2Mb connection :rolleyes: :(

Get a friend who has already downloaded it to backup the game to usb key using the steam backup utility, buy the game (as in just pay or it) but don't start the download, then install from your friends backup. Steam backups even create their own .exe installer for you to install with, double click it and it installs itself from the usb key, no copying & pasting it from usb key in2 a Steam sub directory

I backed up my demo for a friend for yesterday cos I knew the servers would be slow, he installed in 2 mins and it updated in less than 10mins while others were waiting hours for it to download

KilOit wrote: »
    No way man the more zombies the better, i hope theres some level where theres like 4 mini guns and you have to mow down 100 zombies before they can get you, now that would be epic

100? I want 10,000... I want to be able to build a wall of zombies like in 300 :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone up for a game now on the pc? Been playing the single player, but havent gotten to play online yet.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone up for a game now on the pc? Been playing the single player, but havent gotten to play online yet.

Your Steam ID?

I'll be up for a game later. Might be on around 9 tonight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My steam id is RhynoAlbino (dont ask :p). I'm actually gonna be off for a while, but i will be back later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I played this demo 12 months ago. Exact same levels. They've tidied it up a bit but I expected some different stuff in the demo. Just have to wait for the full game next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I played this demo 12 months ago.

WAAAH???! How is that possible?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm up for a game also, add my steam: PogMoTho1n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Devious wrote: »
    WAAAH???! How is that possible?!

Valve had a booth at the World Cyber Games in Seattle in 2007, they had this game there. I played it........several times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This is so much better on the PC :) Doubting whether to buy both copies of the game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Finally an online zombie fest I can enjoy. Just joined the Board group. Steam ID: Hrafyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

God damn this game is awesome. Nothing better than hanging back, waiting for the other guys to go ahead and then shooting the alarmed car. Super Fun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    God damn this game is awesome. Nothing better than hanging back, waiting for the other guys to go ahead and then shooting the alarmed car. Super Fun

You evil, evil bastard.

I bet you shoot the petrol can when you delicately place it behind the person on the minigun too :D

• Advertisement

I think torches should have limited battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Bubs101 wrote: »

Every time someone does that, I run straight to the safe room and shut the door on them.
    You wanted zombies? have fun.

I am so hanging for Versus Mode.

There really should be a 64 player option with randomly selected survivors and the rest zombies. It would be awesome.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Jumpy wrote: »
    I think torches should have limited battery.

No! I hate that in games. Ones where you can travel through Space and Time itself. Harness the power of anti-matter for explosive murder. Teleport to other dimensions. But somehow, we just can't get that darned torch to stay on for more than 30 seconds. Hey, scientist dude. Use a Duracell and no, its not a counter-pregnancy personal genital Shield mark II.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

This is so much better on the PC Doubting whether to buy both copies of the game now..

Why is it better on PC??

I've an ancient archaic POS PC and it still runs this game super smoothly with everything on full other than trilinear filtering on and no AA at 1024x768. The xbox game is a bit chuggier and is upscaled rather than running at 720p. Also the poor connection problems and randomly getting kicked from xbox live kind of annoyed me every so often. Had some great lag free games last night with friends. It's just a smoother experience overall. Also keyboard and mouse are just so much better than a controller for these games. Lack of voice coms for most players is the only downer.

I'm getting a bit annoyed with idiots not turning off their flahslights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Shoot them, they'll only get you all killed.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

they turn on automatically after you've fallen over and been healed. I guess they've done it to keep you on your toes. I'd say there should be an option in the full version to have them off by default.

The flashlights are rubbish anyway, I mean when you reload they point at the ceiling as they are attached to your gun

They should only really be used if you are looking for items in dark places or trying to herd a hoard of zombies. It's most annoying when there is a witch around and they don't bother or go crazy shooting zombies that should be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The flashlights are rubbish anyway, I mean when you reload they point at the ceiling as they are attached to your gun

Thought that was a nice touch tbh. The torch is mounted on the end of the gun after all......

Advertisement