Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

was the demo only playable if you pre-ordered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

This really has surpassed all of my expectations so far, and I've only tried singleplayer!
    I'd say this would be unbelievable for lan games, or a decent team online with voice coms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Spunge wrote: »
    was the demo only playable if you pre-ordered?

Don't think so, i have the demo and didn't pre-order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Must be coz the game is released the demo doesnt work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Trying to find a decent server=hell

So much lag damn you Valve i knew this would happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Jimmy.Joe

If anyone is looking for someone team up with I'd be interested nick on Steam is Skilless (not really skilless it's just a name)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Valve planned to kill the demo after the release of the game.

Haven't had a chance to play the full game yet. What's it like playing as the zombies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

This game is one of the best games iv ever played, the levels are just pure genius, wait till you get to the hospital finale its mind blowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

question. is it worth buying this for single player alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

pvt.joker wrote: »
    question. is it worth buying this for single player alone?

Maybe you should ask yourself is it worth getting the interwebs for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

TomCo wrote: »
    Maybe you should ask yourself is it worth getting the interwebs for?

ah i have the interweb, but am on 02 3g and have crappy lag and pings.
    so ....back to my question..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Kotaku say no.

"If you aren't sucked in by the game's multiplayer aspects, you're not going to find much else worthwhile in Left 4 Dead. Playing through the single-player version of the campaign will net you about six hours of gameplay, more if you ramp up the difficulty. It's fun, but can't hold a candle to playing with a group of flesh and blood buddies."

When is this out for a reasonable-non-steam-rip-off-price in retail? This Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

When is this out for a reasonable-non-steam-rip-off-price in retail? This Friday?

Yeah, Gamestop register biscuit told me Friday - suggested I preorder it too (which mightn't actually be a bad idea in this instance). :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really loving this game but it's trying it's hardest not to make me like it. Was trying all evening to get a game without any lag but almost all the servers are unplayably laggy. Finally got on one that was laggy but playable and finished the first chapter (and received no achievements either :rolleyes:) and had a great time despite the lagginess. It seems to work great with friends though. Was having a great lag free game there with Azza before the parents told me to tunr the PC off because it was too loud. They really need to get rid of the awful xbox live type interface and matchmaking. I'd much rather be able to see a list of servers that I can sort by ping and get a lag free game rather than hoping that I randomly get a non laggy game which seems to be a 1 in 20 chance at the moment.

Aye, not a fan of the lobby system at all. I've had random luck so far with laggy games, and it really does ruin the fun if you get in a bad one...
    I guess hosting your own games is the only way around that

Is it just me or is the final chapter of the no mercy campaign a bit on the tricky side? (compared to the next campaign at least). Played through it in single player and kept dying before the end (damn tank keeps sending me flying), played with a random group and we kept failing badly, then played the entire campaign again with another random group and finally nailed it after 4 attempts. Would hate to see it on a harder difficulty:p

Fantastic game so far, I loved the singleplayer at first, but multiplayer is all kinds of awesome:)

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Finding that dedicated is too laggy. Only solution is for a friend to host it locally. Still I have issues with connecting to him so our best bet is too use Hamachi in the background. Seems to be by far the most stable way of playing it.

Pretty good so far. Mostly going through in 3 player on expert and boy the final stage of each chapters are tough. Real tough. Have yet to complete one of them yet.

All in all is great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Really loving this game but it's trying it's hardest not to make me like it. Was trying all evening to get a game without any lag but almost all the servers are unplayably laggy. Finally got on one that was laggy but playable and finished the first chapter (and received no achievements either :rolleyes:) and had a great time despite the lagginess. It seems to work great with friends though. Was having a great lag free game there with Azza before the parents told me to tunr the PC off because it was too loud. They really need to get rid of the awful xbox live type interface and matchmaking. I'd much rather be able to see a list of servers that I can sort by ping and get a lag free game rather than hoping that I randomly get a non laggy game which seems to be a 1 in 20 chance at the moment.

Bring up console - type OpenServerBrowser
    Hey presto, traditional steam server browser.

Ive had no problems with matchmaking or lag tho. Barely any lag aside from one game yesterday, and the matchmaking threw me in with some great random players

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

0ubliette wrote: »

There's no way to set up a server that way though. The lobby system doesn't allow you to pick a server when you are creating a game. Even hosted locally we where having serious lag issues. Hamachi might be the way to go until they sort out the overloaded dedicated servers, or at least wait to assign you to a low ping server that has a slot free.

Eurogamer review is up now
    The score seems pretty spot on for once

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Tmoney, you coming along to the LAN this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I absolutely love Versus mode. I was the tank last night in a Scenario 4 map, caught everyone completely with their pants down. Awesome carnage.

Doodee wrote: »
    Tmoney, you coming along to the LAN this weekend?

Ah crap, going to be over in London until Saturday evening, then have a leaving session to attend to...
    Damn shame, was just testing it out on my lappy and it runs like a dream:(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,173 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

can anyone confirm if this will have split screen co-op on the 360? Looking online indicates it does (2 player) but i'd like to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

can anyone confirm if this will have split screen co-op on the 360? Looking online indicates it does (2 player) but i'd like to be sure.

The demo had 2 player split screen co-op at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,173 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

excellent (didn't play the demo)

Will pick this up on friday so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

0ubliette wrote: »

Thanks for that hope it sorts out my problems. I'll have to give Hamachi a go as well and try and figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

Thinking of pick up a copy from gamestop, could any one tell me how big is the download from steam to acctivate the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I've got two servers ... one private and one public.

Private : and looking for more players - (pm for password bit don;t share it...its "just for me and my dog")
    http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/217.163.27.189:27015/

Public
    http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.234.155.43:27088/

These are in the UK so should be fast enough.

We have a fewe guys already starting to play on the private server so add me to your Steam friends list and pm me for the password :)

Steam : "brianon" (alias - send more cops).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

brianon wrote: »
    I've got two servers ... one private and one public.

Private : and looking for more players - (pm for password bit don;t share it...its "just for me and my dog")
    http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/217.163.27.189:27015/

Public
    http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.234.155.43:27088/

These are in the UK so should be fast enough.

We have a fewe guys already starting to play on the private server so add me to your Steam friends list and pm me for the password :)

Steam : "brianon" (alias - send more cops).

Sounds good. However, If I'm setting up a game, how can I specify it to use your server?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Sounds good. However, If I'm setting up a game, how can I specify it to use your server?

Apparently that stuff doesn;t actually work yet.

I think the theory is that you specify in your server.cfg (my cfg) a sv_serch_key of say "brians server".
    Then when someone is lloking to start a game on that server you type the same search key into your console.
    Then when you start a game from the lobby you can invite friends and they can join you in lobby. When you START the game the sv_search_key I setup in the server.cfg kicks in and it starts on that server.

Thats the theory I read but apparently it doesn't work.

So where does that leave us :) ? I don't know.

I guess to organise a game you gather like minded people to the private server and can then vote to change the map etc...

Advertisement