Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dcully wrote: »
    Really liking the demo,how many missions or levels are there in the full game?

20 maps i think and loads more weapons, wait till the modding community get some custom maps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Looks like another standard FPS. Is it?

silvine wrote: »
    Looks like another standard FPS. Is it?

Not really, it kinda reminds me more of a tactical shooter, much like SWAT, than a fps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I'm really looking forward to this now. Whens the demo out? Tuesday yeah? (I know all you guys playing the demo now are only doing so due to pre-orders)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    20 maps i think and loads more weapons, wait till the modding community get some custom maps :D

yeah, 20 maps and 10 weapons I think.

I have to say I am disappointed with the demo. Don't know what the issue is, but I cant play on-line; it keeps disconnecting from the server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

I think there is a harder mode in the full game.
    Can anyone confirm this?

yeah, 20 maps and 10 weapons I think.

I have to say I am disappointed with the demo. Don't know what the issue is, but I cant play on-line; it keeps disconnecting from the server.

Ya, lots of probs with the servers, there aren't enough of them yet and the SDK seems buggy, hopefully they'll iron out the kinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

enable the console in the options

then open the console and type "openserverbrowser". This will give you a list of current active servers to choose from.

I've done that and no servers are listed. As I've disabled my firewall, I assume this may be due to me having the incorrect version. However, I thought that Steam updated it automatically. Any way to check if I got everything updated?

They'll be custom servers as the game is a demo. I tried this earlier but it just told me that you must join from a lobby when i tried to join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I played for about 30 mins tonight. Seems ok but sometimes it's very hard to tell what the hell is going on when there are lots of zombies onscreen, Especially in the darker areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They'll be custom servers as the game is a demo. I tried this earlier but it just told me that you must join from a lobby when i tried to join.

I was able to join middle game using the browser.

I was able to get 26 latency games rather then randomly put into a game were everyone had a red connection.

Hopefully they remove the Xbox Live ****ty multiplayer interface and we can use the steam browser as normal

I dont see why Valve even bothered putting in this match making thing for the PC version, feels like its made for console gaming. I'd like to pick my own low ping server please, this match maker completely lacks control and transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Playing the demo all day it's such a laugh when you get a good group, it's really challenging on expert, get the horde and a tank at the same time and it = mayhem

Can see this game doing well when they iron out the little things.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Anyone tried playing on the harder difficulties yet?

also, check this out:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745482

Maximilian wrote: »
    Anyone tried playing on the harder difficulties yet?

yeah, the video I linked to of myself was on the expert difficulty. I've tried it with Pog on expert difficulty and you definitely need all 4 people as humans. You all need to stick together also. If you separate you can get picked off easily and surrounded.

They need to add a harder mode than expert, i was able to do it with pug obviously not all the time some times we got raped badly, but a clan of good fps experienced players will breeze through with good tactics after practice on the map.

KilOit wrote: »
    They need to add a harder mode than expert, i was able to do it with pug obviously not all the time some times we got raped badly, but a clan of good fps experienced players will breeze through with good tactics after practice on the map.

The same could be said of any game really. Plus this is only the first 2 levels, who knows how difficult it will get as the game progresses. Even the second level, the subway, is nigh on impossible if you are on your own working with the PC on expert mode. Even with 2 people it's still very difficult.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The same could be said of any game really. Plus this is only the first 2 levels, who knows how difficult it will get as the game progresses. Even the second level, the subway, is nigh on impossible if you are on your own working with the PC on expert mode. Even with 2 people it's still very difficult.

Or if you are in a bad pub game.

Was playing earlier and normal seemed like a struggle with this group. There was a witch in the subway on left. We cleared all the zombies and boomers. I said over chat to keep flashlights off and just walk pass the witch.

One of the lads who is right beside the witch turns around looks at her, then turns on his flashlight. So the rest of us start blasting her to pull it off him and the genius throws a Molotov on us.

/facepalm

That might be ok for pure single player games but for a game geared more to online play your gonna have the best of the best wanting some real competive play.
    If you want achievements to count for something so online clans will move onto a game like this, as Valve have said they want to surpass counter strikes success with this game, if pug's can beat levels on expert after 2 days of release they ain't gonna bother.

Im only assuming there maps rather than actaully levels im not sure if they scale or not on online play

• Advertisement

there is still a verus mode to play.

That should be good. My friends on XBL use to play a custom mode on halo2. We called it zombie. pistols and shotgun only. Start the game with one infected. Infected uses sword. Everyone he kills becomes infected.

Was great fun blocked our safe zone by melee hitting crates into place. proxy chat halo 2 did was good for it aswell cause you knew the zombies were close when you heard some chatting or saying BRAINSSSSSSSSS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Expert with the bots isn't near impossible. Difficult yes, but nothing too wild.

That said, if a tank appears at a bad time or a witch is startled it usually means grusome death :(

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Expert with the bots isn't near impossible. Difficult yes, but nothing too wild.

That said, if a tank appears at a bad time or a witch is startled it usually means grusome death :(

My problem with the bots was that kept getting knocked over and I had to keep picking them up again. They'd also sacrifice their health to heal me even if I already had my own health pack. They'd also try and revive me even if I was surrounded by Zombies without bothering to take out the Zombies first.

It just got irritating how stupid they where, and on expert I quickly got swamped because the bots would get knocked over also immediately when a zombie wave would attack.

I will say that it would be good to enable an insane mode where you are constantly fighting off zombies like wading through treacle.

I'd say there'll be a survival mode also with achievements where you have to survive as long as possible without getting swamped.

I'll take back what i said about it being easy on expert, i just read about it and it seems theres 5 levels on each campaign and the demo is 1.5 levels end of subway lvl is not the full level, It seems you face 2 tanks at the same time at the end of the campaign which would be crazy on expert :P

Is anybody playing this game on the PC that has NTL as a ISP?

I've not been able to play any games on-line (can't even see servers) and I am beginning to think that NTL are blocking certain ports. This happened before with ET:Quake Wars - the demo worked fine but the game wouldn't play on-line. If this is the case again then I have absolutely no idea how to solve this.

which would be crazy on expert :P

especially as there is no sprint option. All FPS's should have the option to put your gun down and run. Especially in a Zombie game where you are going to be running all the time.

Also the spawning of those tanks can be really unfair, we where making our way through the train which is single file and a tank just jumps into the train. As we where single file we could not fire at it without hitting each other and we couldn't turn around fast enough to outrun it, so it just plowed through the train killing all of us :( I guess it adds to the tention knowing that the spawning of the different types of zombies and the witches is completely random

Is anybody playing this game on the PC that has NTL as a ISP?

I've not been able to play any games on-line (can't even see servers) and I am beginning to think that NTL are blocking certain ports. This happened before with ET:Quake Wars - the demo worked fine but the game wouldn't play on-line. If this is the case again then I have absolutely no idea how to solve this.

I have Ntl in Tallaght and it's fine

Edit: Did you buy it or dl it? if you didn't pre order the game and just dl'ed it you won't be able to play online,
    But i think a non pre order version is being released today or tommorrow

I have NTL in Swords and it's fine

especially as there is no sprint option. All FPS's should have the option to put your gun down and run. Especially in a Zombie game where you are going to be running all the time.

Yes, a sprint button is definitely needed

• Advertisement

Edit: Did you buy it or dl it? if you didn't pre order the game and just dl'ed it you won't be able to play online,
    But i think a non pre order version is being released today or tommorrow

Bought it on pre-order from Steam. Funnily enough, I was trying to play Zombie Panic (a mod for HL2) a while back and I encountered the same problems, i.e. no server listed. I assume that the problems are connected. Interesting that neither of you NTL users are having problems. Could NTL be blocking different ports in different parts of the city?

::Edit::

I've heard the the below ports need to be open to play the game (I don't have a router, btw and I tried playing with the firewall off). They appear as blocked when I try. Can someone in the Dublin area playing the game without problems and using NTL click the links? Shouldn't take more than 20 seconds.

Cheers

http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=27005
    http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=27015

Advertisement