Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nice saving alright but will we regret not dualling that bit too?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Nice saving alright but will we regret not dualling that bit too?

I reckon it'd be busy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Quite a large write up on this and Galway traffic in today’s Sunday Business Post if anyone would like to nip down to the shops for a copy

According to the project manager they are expecting a decision from ABP in mid 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭prunudo

Good to see ABP are keeping on top of the urgency for big infrastructure projects in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

prunudo wrote: »
    Good to see ABP are keeping on top of the urgency for big infrastructure projects in the country.

Not fault of ABP here - submission from Council was sloppy, they submitted stuff that was past its "Sell by Date".

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Its unbelievable Galway still is waiting for a ring road the city is shocking bad with traffic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Its unbelievable Galway still is waiting for a ring road the city is shocking bad with traffic

Its unbelievable Galway still is not doing anything about improving public transport or improving facilities for cycling while the city is shockingly bad with traffic.

Even if the extra bypass is given the go ahead this year, it will be many years until it is open to traffic, and any PT provided now will, by then, be a long time in use.

The bypass will not solve the traffic problem in the city centre - that requires people to change from car to walking, bus or cycle. The M17 did not solve the congestion in Claregalway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Its unbelievable Galway still is not doing anything about improving public transport or improving facilities for cycling while the city is shockingly bad with traffic.

Even if the extra bypass is given the go ahead this year, it will be many years until it is open to traffic, and any PT provided now will, by then, be a long time in use.

The bypass will not solve the traffic problem in the city centre - that requires people to change from car to walking, bus or cycle. The M17 did not solve the congestion in Claregalway.

This is correct. Total inaction. There are permissions in place for bus lanes ( Tuam Road for eg ) and greenways ( Moycullen- Galway) yet no action, These should be priortised and an open monthly city and county forum council led should be tasked with implementing with monthly updates and targets on wider traffic management. PT and other modes improvements .

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It's simples .
    We can't wait until the ring road is built to sort out city traffic .
    This is what's needed be done .
    (1) one way in Lough atalia
    (2) one way outbound college road
    (3) one way in bound bohermore
    (4) one way outbound from courthouse to tesco lights
    (5) put in bus lanes along these roads after you have turned them into one way because you now have the space to do it .
    (6) zero tolerance to parking along foster street and eglinton street
    (7) CCTV operated traffic lights especially watched by properly trained personnel at rush hours ( 7.30 am to 9.30 am / 4pm to 7pm )
    (8) a serious look needs to be taken on how we get our children to school.
    A USA model of " yellow buses " driving along all routes where young families are and charging €1 per child to take kids to where schools are .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It's simples .
    We can't wait until the ring road is built to sort out city traffic .
    This is what's needed be done .
    (1) one way in Lough atalia
    (2) one way outbound college road
    (3) one way in bound bohermore
    (4) one way outbound from courthouse to tesco lights
    (5) put in bus lanes along these roads after you have turned them into one way because you now have the space to do it .
    (6) zero tolerance to parking along foster street and eglinton street
    (7) CCTV operated traffic lights especially watched by properly trained personnel at rush hours ( 7.30 am to 9.30 am / 4pm to 7pm )
    (8) a serious look needs to be taken on how we get our children to school.
    A USA model of " yellow buses " driving along all routes where young families are and charging €1 per child to take kids to where schools are .

No, school children should be free to go and come from school. Why charge? It makes no sense and it is a low cost anyway. The traffic congestion caused by so many four wheel drive armour plated children carriers clogging up roads and causing severe parking problems outside schools has to be seen to be believed. If free school transport reduced it be half, it would be a great contribution.

• Advertisement

No, school children should be free to go and come from school. Why charge? It makes no sense and it is a low cost anyway. The traffic congestion caused by so many four wheel drive armour plated children carriers clogging up roads and causing severe parking problems outside schools has to be seen to be believed. If free school transport reduced it be half, it would be a great contribution.
    For such a scheme to be viable, the council would need to ban "school runs" and set up several strategically placed park and ride stops for the SUV brigade to safely stop and unload.
    If I was to use Athlone as an example (I don't know Galway all that well), the soccer ground car park would be an ideal landing strip for the SUVs to circulate in and out and the buses are in easy reach of most of the schools in town.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just remember the school holidays traffic drop is not just school run (and teacher) related - it's parents taking holidays, seasonal staff in creches etc off work and so on. You won't get the full boost. Doesn't make it not worth making changes, far from it

Nothing should be for free .
    People don't have a respect for anything free.
    A €1 per child is nothing in the bigger picture .
    If a proper school transport plan was put in place people should pay for it .

Nothing should be for free .
    People don't have a respect for anything free .
    If a proper school transport plan , freeing up people's time and saving them on fuel than YES ....there should be a fee .
    €1 per child is nothing when you look at the bigger picture .

Well the NTA do not agree. Currently kids go free for July.

Kids do not pay their fares, their parents do. Children would have to have a valid Leap card with credit on it, or some kind of specisl pass. P&R would help the situation no doubt.

I think anyone with a free travel pass vaues it, as do those with a medical card.

Ya... The medical card system works well ... Not abused at all .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Getting a bit off topic.

I thought Ashleigh's list of 8 action points above was one of the better posts I've seen on this thread. Recognises that even if you built the bypass you would need to implement all of those in order to get the bus lanes in place which is essential if PT is to be sorted out in Galway.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Getting a bit off topic.

I thought Ashleigh's list of 8 action points above was one of the better posts I've seen on this thread. Recognises that even if you built the bypass you would need to implement all of those in order to get the bus lanes in place which is essential if PT is to be sorted out in Galway.

And in my view, more important. The bypass on its own will do little to solve the chronic traffic problems in Galway.

There needs to be a focus in providing public transport now.

Galway traffic needs sorting today .
    Thinking outside the box is required today .
    I drive around this city every single day .
    The total abandonment of cars in bus lanes / on double yellow lines is shocking .
    Zero enforcement .
    Cars owned by business owners allowed to park as they want and a blind eye been turned to it .
    I sincerely doubt that galway will ever get its act together regarding traffic .
    It goes from one fiasco to another with zero responsibility taken .
    We have just had a local election with more bluster spoken .
    Politicians with no power promising reform.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ya... The medical card system works well ... Not abused at all .

"abuse" of this proposed system by people using it exactly what would be wanted though.

€1 each way a day is higher than the Bus Eireann school bus fares also - vastly so for primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

L1011 wrote: »
    "abuse" of this proposed system by people using it exactly what would be wanted though.

€1 each way a day is higher than the Bus Eireann school bus fares also - vastly so for primary.

It puzzles me that this is the only thread where subjects with nothing whatsoever to do with the thread topic (the M6 Galway Ring Road) are freely and openly discussed, even by moderators. If anyone brought up the cost of school buses or abuse of medical cards on any other thread they would be shut down immediately. On this thread you get a nod and a wink. It's unclear to me why that is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Quote:

Originally Posted by prunudo View Post

Not fault of ABP here - submission from Council was sloppy, they submitted stuff that was past its "Sell by Date".

What exactly was sloppy in the proposal, what was out of date?
    Why have I seen nothing in the national, regional, or city news that a proposal made by an "international company" who the taxing payers are paying, was dismissed by ABP, and there is total silence.
    How much have the tax payers paid for this and as the work was not completed properly, is there any recourse for a refund.

The conspiracy theorist must love this. This Galway bypass post is not about yellow buses.

"international company" I heard the council hired consultants to do this work

tharlear wrote: »
    What exactly was sloppy in the proposal, what was out of date?
    Why have I seen nothing in the national, regional, or city news that a proposal made by an "international company" who the taxing payers are paying, was dismissed by ABP, and there is total silence.
    How much have the tax payers paid for this and as the work was not completed properly, is there any recourse for a refund.

The conspiracy theorist must love this. This Galway bypass post is not about yellow buses.

"international company" I heard the council hired consultants to do this work

You should call Joe Duffy.....

And maybe a quick Google search

Or maybe even read back on the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

call Joe duffy, ? no comment
    google, one tribune article, from may 3 2019 , very short on details.
    Galway ADV, saying 15m spend march 28 2019
    most of what comes up on google is from last year

read the thread, "we don't need a bypass", "we do need a bypass", "its not a bypass", "we need yellow buses". (yellow buses may work)
    In fact I just read post 1. 11 years since post 1

My understanding is that the council hired a company to submit an application to ABP and it was shoddy.
    After searching on line and reading the thread I asked for details and why there is not more in the news media about this. (duffy is not news IMO.) and made a conspiracy theorist joke.

So maybe be a better question would be, has the council fired this company for submitting a shoddy application.

tharlear wrote: »
    So maybe be a better question would be, has the council fired this company for submitting a shoddy application.

Did you ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

I think it is ok on a forum to ask the question THARLEAR is asking, I wonder the same.
    And no, I haven not asked the council, but if anyone on here (a thread that is visited by people with an interest in this topic) knows, please share!

Surely the project team should have posted an update about it here?

http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/updates/

Last update was on the 24-04-2019
    http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-4/bulletin-20-update-24042019/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Only updates are what ABP has issued to Council
    Summary here https://connachttribune.ie/an-bord-pleanala-put-ring-road-plan-under-microscope-300/

Very closed process with no info online post application

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

youngrun wrote: »
    God, there's dome pretty damning stuff in there:
    An Bord Pleanála has sought more information ... [in] a move that could significantly delay the project, and possibly scupper it altogether.
    The request for more information ... has led to concerns the ... scheme ... could be delayed significantly.
    Confirming my oft-stated view here that this project is at least a decade away, if it ever happens at all.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    God, there's dome pretty damning stuff in there:

Confirming my oft-stated view here that this project is at least a decade away, if it ever happens at all.

I think they should plan for more PT now, and make junctions on Botha na d'Treabh free flow with bus lanes where they can. This can be done now, whereas the bypass will be a decade away before it sees any traffic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement