Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores to be sold

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

the thing is, I get away with wearing Dunnes clothes in England because no else will be wearing them (I tell them they are from Le Dunnes Boutique), the same as I can get away with Asda clothes in Ireland.

This could feck half my designer wardrobe:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

So it's bye bye to the Dunnes Stores Girl?! (For you John Spillane fans)

Number one - I doubt this will mean lower prices since all other British stores here are more expensive than in their homeland.

Number two - this could be weird for Cork City. They're rebuilding the first ever Dunnes on Patrick Street into what was supposed to be a flagship store - what will becaome of this? Will it end up being really tacky under the new company and lowering the tone of the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 francesca420

as a dunnes employee, here is what i have been told:

(a) there was a big meeting of (regional?) managers on wednesday morning, but as mentioned this consisted of the usual topics, mostly christmas hours etc.

(b) there is another big meeting and media announcement due this morning around eleven am

(c) if walmart/asda do buy dunnes, it will mostly be an ownership issue and little more, dunnes will be told to keep working and running the place as they were with little change.

obviously theres a good chance that the dunnes name will eventually be lost and asda will actually come in but i personally dont expect any big changes immediately.

im not surprised that this rumour has started, the members of the dunnes family who actually own dunnes have their money made at this stage (three of them are regular features on 'irelands rich list'), and as they are all nearing retirement age, i would have expected that if their kids inherited the company they would simply sell it on anyway.

i work in one of the newest dunnes in galway and was told recently that this branch is one of the top three or four busiest dunnes in the entire country at the moment, so i at least do not fear for my job at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

Wow, this is great news!

WalMart is a great employer who employs many people who couldn't get a job otherwise (elderly). With flexible shifts single mothers can work there as well. They always pay above the minimum wage as well.

This whole "I hate WalMart" attitude is a ignorant kneejerk reaction.

Video is NSFW

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

This from the Belfast Telegraph an hour ago (very interesting about the Roscrea store opening in 30 minutes from now):

Dunnes Stores silent on Asda sale rumour

Thursday, 6 November 2008

More than 18,000 Dunnes Stores workers are still in the dark about their future after the company refused to confirm rumours that it may be sold to supermarket chain Asda.

But the major retail chain gave all the appearance that it was business as usual last night as it made a surprise announcement that 160 jobs will be created at a new store in Tipperary.

Union leaders representing the concerned workers are hopeful the retailer may begin briefings with store managers today after expected meetings ahead of a "significant announcement" failed to go ahead yesterday.

Employees at the chain, which is one of the biggest private sector employers in the country, fear they may lose their jobs after managers were told to expect a "significant announcement".

Retail union Mandate launched an attack on the retailer last night for failing to allay fears it could have dispelled 48 hours ago.

A spokesperson at Dunnes Stores would not make any comment on whether a meeting with store managers at its 153 branches will take place or whether an offer is on the table.

Union sources revealed that highly placed company sources had indicated to its members that local meetings would be held before a big announcement.

Although rumours about a possible takeover by the British retail chain have arisen in the past, Mandate said it is taking the situation very seriously because of company tip-offs.

Mandate said it has not received a reply to a letter to management seeking assurances about jobs, which was sent by courier on Monday.

"What is all this secrecy about?" asked Mandate Assistant General Secretary Gerry Light.

"Why does the parent company not come out and say there is no truth in the rumours? It could have dispelled the speculation 48 hours ago but has fuelled it with silence.

"This goes beyond workers and is also bound to affect consumer confidence the longer it goes on," said the union boss.

Mr Light was optimistic that a possible takeover by Asda, which recognises unions in the UK, would not lead to a deterioration in work conditions -- although its US parent company Walmart has an anti-union policy.

DIT Retail Management lecturer Damien O'Reilly said he believes there is "definitely something happening" in relation to a takeover bid.

"Something is definitely on the cards," he said. He said Dunnes Stores' profits had been badly hit by low-cost retailers like Lidl and Aldi.

He said this had prompted the chain to drop its prices by up to 25pc during grocery sales, which he described as a "new concept in retail", in the last few weeks.

Meanwhile, Dunnes Stores last night announced 160 new jobs at a new branch in Roscrea, Co Tipperary to open tomorrow.

"We are delighted to be opening this new store in Roscrea", said Tipperary native Catherine Purcell, grocery manager of the new store.

"We have received a warm welcome and much support from the people of Roscrea for the creation of 160 new jobs in the area as well as opening a brand new and very spacious store carrying a large range of products across the grocery, textiles and homewares sectors at great better value prices," said Ms Purcell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

I hope it's Sainsbury's that move in. They are making a killing in Newry, Lisburn & Derry from customers from the South who drive up intheir droves. Also, their products are significantly better quality than Tesco, which I feel, would fit the Dunnes Stores continuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

Have the employees been briefed on a concrete decision?

phasers wrote: »
    I want Asda to come here soon now so I can get this:

http://direct.asda.com/The-Little-Black-Coat/GEM2211,default,pd.html]

all their other clothes look really nice too

Look being the operative word. They are more along the lines of pennys in terms of quality.

Although if they are going to keep the old set up, I'm happy out.
    Dunnes hasn't been well ran from my point of view as a customer in ages.
    They always seem understaffed, They had a big problem with out of date stock on the shelves and they don't seem to have value in mind when it comes to groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I heard on the radio the deal's gone through,

It's all Dunne and dusted.

*awkward silence*

sorry:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

vinylmesh wrote: »

*awkward silence*

hahaha i love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Maybe ASDA will introduce a policy where the till workers pack your bag for you. I don't understand why Dunnes workers refuse to put any items in your plastic bag.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'll have to ask about this when I go into work today.
    i work in one of the newest dunnes in galway and was told recently that this branch is one of the top three or four busiest dunnes in the entire country at the moment, so i at least do not fear for my job at the moment

That Briarhill or Knocknacarra?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Maybe ASDA will introduce a policy where the till workers pack your bag for you. I don't understand why Dunnes workers refuse to put any items in your plastic bag.

Maybe because its the company policy and there just toeing the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

vinylmesh wrote: »

*awkward silence*

just heard on radio about john lewis opening in dublin, nothing about asda....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I refuse to pay until I have everything packed & in the trolley, means they're left sitting there as the queue behind me stares them out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's all rumours so far... nothing has been confirmed!

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidojaukfsn/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I always found it strange they will happily pack a paper bag without asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

simu wrote: »
    Will it end up being really tacky under the new company and lowering the tone of the street?

This makes the terrible assumption that anywhere in cork has class.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

iMax wrote: »
    I refuse to pay until I have everything packed & in the trolley, means they're left sitting there as the queue behind me stares them out of it :D

You should be aware of "Trolley Rage" brought on by this suicidal activity. Getting beaten to death with your own groceries is a very messy affair. :eek:

Waiting until all goods are packed before paying is almost de rigour in my local dunnes. No one has been killed yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Waiting until all goods are packed before paying is almost de rigour in my local dunnes. No one has been killed yet.

One day someone will crack and it will lead to de rigor, of the mortis varity. Some lazy old granny will have to have her new cucumber surgically removed. :P

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    I'll have to ask about this when I go into work today.

That Briarhill or Knocknacarra?

i work in briarhill. its apparantly taking business from all the other dunnes in galway.

as for the bag packing thing, i've never been told specifically to do it or not do it, usually i dont have time and people pack their stuff themselves anyway, but if a customer needs help ill pack things for them. having said that ive actually been slightly snottily asked specifically not to help a customer pack her shopping a few times.

and no, employees havent been given any prior briefing of any news, other than i knew there were a few big meetings of store and regional managers this week.

I always found it strange they will happily pack a paper bag without asking.

im not entirely sure myself but as far as i remember we HAVE to give out a paper bag for drapery purchases so it just comes as an automatic follow up to that i suppose!

I take dunnes staff will refuse if someone asks for a paper bag for their groceries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

i work in briarhill. its apparantly taking business from all the other dunnes in galway.

I dont see how, Westside/Edward Sq is always busy and Knocknacarra is dead, too many Dunnes in Galway City anyway there was no need for Briarhill or Knocknacarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I take dunnes staff will refuse if someone asks for a paper bag for their groceries?
    more or less yeah,because we dont have any at the grocery tills only the white 22c bags and the 37c brown longlife bags,only drapery have paperbags,well in blanch anyways,and the reason checkout staff dont like packing bags is because the customers usually complain that the bags are packed wrong or too heavy or that the staff are too rough with their groceries:rolleyes: i could be wrong but afaik most grocery stores dont have paper bags at the tills either

I mean at dunnes where there are only one type of checkout that have paper bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

dont know about those stores tbh bond-007,still no word on buyouthttp://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1106/dunnes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Did I miss the tired old

"I for one welcome our American retailer overlords" or something to that effect?

• Advertisement

triple-M wrote: »
    more or less yeah,because we dont have any at the grocery tills only the white 22c bags and the 37c brown longlife bags,only drapery have paperbags,well in blanch anyways,and the reason checkout staff dont like packing bags is because the customers usually complain that the bags are packed wrong or too heavy or that the staff are too rough with their groceries:rolleyes: i could be wrong but afaik most grocery stores dont have paper bags at the tills either

in my store we do have paper bags at the grocery tills, i will sometimes give out these bags instead of the paper ones but we arent supposed to.
    I dont see how, Westside/Edward Sq is always busy and Knocknacarra is dead, too many Dunnes in Galway City anyway there was no need for Briarhill or Knocknacarra.

briarhill is busier than some branches in dublin cork etc, much busier than edward square, whose business has dropped so much that they dont even have nightpack anymore.

its also much bigger than edward square and as someone who has stocked shelves in both branches, you can trust me when i say i know which is busier.

briarhill was a greatly needed branch for people living on the east side of the city and further out. you have to remember there are six dunnes in the county of galway but they are all in the city and it is much easier for people living outside the city to come to briarhill. their nearest option other than this is athlone!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement