Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores to be sold

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This makes the terrible assumption that anywhere in cork has class.

Hahaha. Pat yourself on the map, funny man. I'm not saying Cork is a rival to Paris or anything but the city centre has been smartened up considerably in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

asda check outs--the checkout operator greets the customer with a sorry to keep you waiting and can i pack your bags ;he/she must make eye contact ;after say thank you and goodbye--asda like other supermarkets in the uk ,employ a company who send round mystery shoppers who after going around the stores and check outs send in a report to the store on who has or hasent met the standard[points system] the manager them can go to the person who may not of reached the store standard and give him/her/them a warning--the yanks are coming also asda have a greeter at the entrance to say goodday/goodbye-not have a nice day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

getz wrote: »
    asda like other supermarkets in the uk ,employ a company who send round mystery shoppers who after going around the stores and check outs send in a report to the store on who has or hasent met the standard[points system] the manager them can go to the person who may not of reached the store standard and give him/her/them a warning
    My fianceé works in Dunnes and has told me that this is already common practice in Dunnes and most retail stores. Mystery shoppers will also evaluate the cleanliness and organisation of the store. If it doesn't meet standards, it's the manager that will face the rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Maybe ASDA will introduce a policy where the till workers pack your bag for you.
    Christ, I hope not. They'll get a taste of the back of my hand around their ears if they even try that. Pack your own bags you lazy sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

So I heard on some news channel there that it might be Walmart?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I take dunnes staff will refuse if someone asks for a paper bag for their groceries?

Why would someone be refused? We're (Dunnes staff) more likely to double bag the paper one to prevent it ripping on the customer, than refuse them. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

also asda have a greeter at the entrance to say goodday/goodbye-not have a nice day

Otherwise known as "Security", thats what most stores do especially around Christmas, BT being one example.

I work in the Westside store and were busy enough and yeah Briarhill is a good store but building Knocknacarra was a waste of money IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There was a Dunnes Stores in Malaga when I was there in June. Didn't think they were outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

eirebhoy wrote: »
    There was a Dunnes Stores in Malaga when I was there in June. Didn't think they were outside of Ireland.

I think that there are also a few in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Danger Danger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch high cost of a low price then you will understand that wallmart are crooks and support child labour.

they treat peops in china like slaves

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

so no i do not support asda wallmart takeover of dunnes, i think its a discrace if this happens . i know dunnes is bad. but asda wallmart . that would make me sick . theres a limit to low cost prices . every thing comes with hidden problems.

its time to start a petition ................................

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote: »
    Otherwise known as "Security", thats what most stores do especially around Christmas, BT being one example.

I work in the Westside store and were busy enough and yeah Briarhill is a good store but building Knocknacarra was a waste of money IMO.

"have a nice day and spread 'em" - definitely the personal touch.

Lazairus wrote: »
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Danger Danger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch high cost of a low price then you will understand that wallmart are crooks and support child labour.

they treat peops in china like slaves

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

so no i do not support asda wallmart takeover of dunnes, i think its a discrace if this happens . i know dunnes is bad. but asda wallmart . that would make me sick .

its time to start a petition ................................

Na. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

not im not that serious, but thats irish peops attitude in general .dont ask questions now but complain later .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Grocery checkout staff should pack the bags, they get to sit down. Us poor bastards on drapery tills have to stand. Reasonably confident about the future of Stephens Green Drapery, it outsells Henry Street, so I'd imagine it's definitely in the top 2 then? Also in the process of renovation!

Yeah there are Dunnes in Malaga, Andalucia, Coin and somewhere else in Spain. It's hilarious when you're checking stores for big winter coats and the Dunnes in Spain always have loads left.. There's ones in Liverpool, Yorkshire and a few other places too, and Scotland. None of them have a grocery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Rozabeez wrote: »
    So I heard on some news channel there that it might be Walmart?

Walmart and ASDA are the same company.

I don't remember much changing in ASDA when they were taken over. Probably the same thing with Dunnes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Why would someone be refused? We're (Dunnes staff) more likely to double bag the paper one to prevent it ripping on the customer, than refuse them. :confused:
    Local store does. Plastic only for groceries, paper for hardware/drapery/homewares only.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Maybe ASDA will introduce a policy where the till workers pack your bag for you. I don't understand why Dunnes workers refuse to put any items in your plastic bag.

:confused:

I would rather pack my own bags, actually it annoys me when they do as they end up putting the bread in the bag and placing haevier items on top of the bread meaning the bread is ruined :mad:

asda check outs--the checkout operator greets the customer with a sorry to keep you waiting and can i pack your bags ;he/she must make eye contact ;after say thank you and goodbye--asda like other supermarkets in the uk ,employ a company who send round mystery shoppers who after going around the stores and check outs send in a report to the store on who has or hasent met the standard[points system] the manager them can go to the person who may not of reached the store standard and give him/her/them a warning--the yanks are coming also asda have a greeter at the entrance to say goodday/goodbye-not have a nice day

Doesn't mean you will get the same kind of service in Ireland. Sadly customer service here is rather poor. M&S here has never been as good as M&S in the UK in terms of service and products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I would rather pack my own bags, actually it annoys me when they do as they end up putting the bread in the bag and placing haevier items on top of the bread meaning the bread is ruined :mad:
    Actually I would prefer if those charity baggers were banned from stores.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Actually I would prefer if those charity baggers were banned from stores.

:D +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I heard it was Sainsburys. Course I was half-asleep at the time and probably just joined words in my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

FreedomJoe wrote: »

Galway alone has 6 Dunnes stores. 2 brand new ones.

You will see at least 4 of these closed down. Asda have no need for intown clothing stores. Chances are Debenhams will snap up a few of these type stores.

Doubt that tbh. heard that the reason for dunnes aggressive expansion policy in last 2/3 years was due to the fact that asda didn't want to take them last time as they didn't have a wide enough store network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 John Sheehy

Has the take over been confirmed?

BECAUSE a friend of mine works in Dunnes and was called in for a general staff meeting where they were told by the manager that the ASDA/Walmart take over was "bull****" and that the meeting was instead all the time to do with discussion over Christmas.

Which of course smacks of absolute horse****, I worked there for two years and never once was there a meeting to talk about Christmas. And it doesn't seem to be a "significant announcement"...

I wouldn't put it past Dunnes to lie to it's own workers to ensure they don't freak out about their jobs too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they are doing exactly what roches stores did, ie. renovate stores then sell

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lazairus wrote: »
    not im not that serious, but thats irish peops attitude in general .dont ask questions now but complain later .

Ask questions about what?They are a private company who can sell to who they like. It's the joys of owning your own stuff.

OPENROAD wrote: »

These things are a pet peeve of mine, alone with them using their iron death grip when scanning the bread. They squeeze the pan till their fingers meet in the middle before lifting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

what wrecks my head is when they hold the item just inches from the counter top, and then drop it.

"I dont want it now. I've changed me fuckin' mind"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

**** me, I wish I hadn't mentioned it now :D

I feel better that it has obviously been lost on everybody and not just me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 billser

it has to be cheaper than what we are paying for stuff now, just go up north to asda to see the price rip off down here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Anything's better than those SuperValu "pretend" supermarkets, that all seem to be owned by some local fat bloke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement