Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores to be sold

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hell, Guinness isn't even Irish so bye, bye to Dunnes.
    Another home grown business now gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hopefully Walmart/Asda will get rid of the rude old biddys that populate most dunnes stores shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

This is excellent, Asda are sooo much better than Dunnes. It was only a matter of time till Dunnes was taken by a bigger company.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Those home-grown robbers i.e. Musgrave, are supposed to be buying Superquinn, so wave goodbye to your 1970s retro prices. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Those home-grown robbers i.e. Musgrave, are supposed to be buying Superquinn, so wave goodbye to your 1970s retro prices. :(

Musgrave pulled out of buying superquinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Hopefully Walmart/Asda will get rid of the rude old biddys that populate most dunnes stores shops.

Well they have a chequered history with unions so they'll have no problem doing as they please if they can get away with it.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Well they have a chequered history with unions so they'll have no problem doing as they please if they can get away with it.
    I bet they will get rid of the union as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Well Dunnes staff aren't exactly encouraged to join unions as it is! Dunnes' industrial relations history is terrible.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

What makes a company Irish these days anyways? I'm sure 50% or more of SQ stock is from abroad.

The company that owns Superquinn, Select Retail Holdings Limited, is not listed and there is no public share register. However, its fronted by a retailer, Simon Burke, but several property developers are involved.

As for UK based potential acquirers. Waitrose would be the best fit. Superquinn does (or until recently did) already stock some of its products and it is a similar upmarket style. Waitrose's parent John Lewis already wants to enter the Irish market. M&S might be another potential acquirer and at this stage is nearly bigger in Ireland than Superquinn (which hasn't really expanded that much in years).

However I have a feeling that the eventual acquirer might be none other than J Sainsbury, even though they have said a couple of times that they're not interested in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MIN2511 wrote: »
    WTF....

Seriously, are there any more Irish owned shops anymore???

I found out yesterday that Spar is German :(

It's actually Dutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Are you saying part of their sales service will be employing sudden euthenasia on selected shoppers...

... because that sickens (but simultaneously) intrigues me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ambman wrote: »

They were supposed to be buying the SQ business end. The consortium would have retained the properties.
    What makes a company Irish these days anyways? I'm sure 50% or more of SQ stock is from abroad.

Was McNamara technically an Irish developer? He had, I think 14.5PC stock... But he's gone now...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ambman wrote: »

Good news for the customers. I see that both Sainsbury and Asda were sniffing around as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

icdg wrote: »
    The company that owns Superquinn, Select Retail Holdings Limited, is not listed and there is no public share register. However, its fronted by a retailer, Simon Burke, but several property developers are involved.

As for UK based potential acquirers. Waitrose would be the best fit. Superquinn does (or until recently did) already stock some of its products and it is a similar upmarket style. Waitrose's parent John Lewis already wants to enter the Irish market. M&S might be another potential acquirer and at this stage is nearly bigger in Ireland than Superquinn (which hasn't really expanded that much in years).

However I have a feeling that the eventual acquirer might be none other than J Sainsbury, even though they have said a couple of times that they're not interested in the Irish market.

Would really love it to be Waitrose,a really top supermarket imo though like most UK co's that come here they are never run as well as the UK stores,but Waitrose is more M&S than Dunnes Stores, can't see it being them, you might be on the mark with Sainsbury though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Falons and Byrne should take over superquinn.. Mm nyom nyoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

icdg wrote: »

Um I meant stock as in the food in the stock room...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

Well I can tell you this.

Expect thousands of lay offs!

Bad side,

Go to Galway, cork even Dublin.

Galway alone has 6 Dunnes stores. 2 brand new ones.

You will see at least 4 of these closed down. Asda have no need for intown clothing stores. Chances are Debenhams will snap up a few of these type stores.

Asda also operate a clothing arm called George. However this is no where near the size of Dunnes drapery.

Asda will revamp the stores it expects to create the stores 80% grocery. meaning a vast reduction in non food products.

Again expect thousands of lay offs of redundant staff that Asda will not need. This will also include long term staff on high wages and cut backs on the amount of managers the store has.

GOOD SIDE

Expect to see key stores opening petrol stations at low low petrol prices.

Expect to see a price war between ASDA and Tesco. Just pop up to Eniskillen where ASDA and Tesco sit side by side. 24 cans of coke £5.00. Ireland €12.00, COCO pops Family size £2.00 Ireland € 6.00.

Expect to see a end to Supervalue with the likes of Sainsburys coming in and snapping up any of the good redundant stores.

Expect to see Debenhams and John Lewis entering the Irish market snapping up redundant dunnes stores that may be temp owned by ASDA.

And I say all this as someone in the know.

In Short , massive price savings for customers.
    A rise in retail unemployment (Which was due anyhow).

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

It is true, I work there and my store manager confirmed it. No word yet on how much money it was, definitely a good few billion anyway, or whether it'll continue trading as Dunnes or revamp completley and scrap homeware and scale down drapery.

Well kiss goodbye to your hourly rate then, Ive been sending out cv's since i found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

asda could take over the drapery stores as they have non-food stores called Asda Living

basquille wrote: »
    Are you saying part of their sales service will be employing sudden euthenasia on selected shoppers...

... because that sickens (but simultaneously) intrigues me!
    I meant some of their staff. And maybe retirement would be more fitting.

• Advertisement

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    Well I can tell you this.

Expect to see a price war between ASDA and Tesco.

In Short , massive price savings for customers.

Do you think so?

I would have thought we would have had a price war between Tesco and Dunnes but we never have, why do you think it will be different with Asda.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

The rumor bout dunnes is around awhile. apparently they have been increasing they're retail space for the last few years with the intention of a buy-out.

milly4ever wrote: »
    asda could take over the drapery stores as they have non-food stores called Asda Living

They will trial 1 or 2 but nothing major.

As I say expect Debenhams to snap up a few.

Asda is currently expanding into the Republic of Ireland.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Unlikely That Dunnes will keep name
    Remember Quinnsworth/Crazy Prices became Tesco &Roches Stores became Debenhams

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Do you think so?

I would have thought we would have had a price war between Tesco and Dunnes but we never have, why do you think it will be different with Asda.

Look at Asdas introduction into Northern Ireland.

They have hit Dunnes and Tesco hard to grap the share of the market.

Wallmarts policy is to makes less profit on products but more profit on footfall.

In other words make 10p profit on a tin of beans and expect 500 customers,
    make 1p profit on a tin of beans and expect 5000 customers.

Asda and Tesco have been going at each other for years, and in Eniskillen you have 3 major retailers.

Tesco, Dunnes and Asda.

Which one is the busiest? ASDA. They have built a new store there since taking over the safeway/morrison site which is now M&S.

They have now realised that this site isnt big enough and are expanding.

And where do you think most of their customers are from? The South!

Dunnes were always Exspensive but since Tesco opened they have re=labled St michael as their discount line. But they and tesco never went to war.

Asda are big players and they want the market share, so they will attack the Irish market as if it was a war!

FreedomJoe wrote: »

Asda are big players and they want the market share, so they will attack the Irish market as if it was a war!

I really hope you are right but will believe it when I see it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It is true, I work there and my store manager confirmed it. No word yet on how much money it was, definitely a good few billion anyway, or whether it'll continue trading as Dunnes or revamp completley and scrap homeware and scale down drapery.

a good few billion? lollers.

Unlikely That Dunnes will keep name
    Remember Quinnsworth/Crazy Prices became Tesco &Roches Stores became Debenhams

No chance of Asda keeping the Dunnes name.

Wallmart want to Establish Asda as their European name, and are eager to expand as Tesco have throughout Europe.

Asda is a household name in the UK and the North, and Wallmart management have been eager to move into Ireland under the ASDA brand for the past few years.

It has since been re-enforced with the profits Asda has been making in the North.

As i understand it Asda where prepared to either build new stores or buy out a existing company, I.E Superquinn.

It was never considered buying Dunnes as they are financially too big, but I beleive that a agreement has been made for a further buyout of redundant dunnes stores by another retailer, paving the possible buy out of Dunnes.

I beleive Asda told Dunnes to take it or leave it, eitherway Asda were coming to Ireland and would take the Irish market one way or another.

Dunnes couldnt compete, and in recent times have opened up too many new stores trying to starve off the competition, but these stores arent trading and are loosing the company too much money.

they had to take the Asda deal.

I have also heard, and hopefully this will be confirmed in the next few days, that Asda are buying out the Grocery division of Dunnes, and infact Dunnes will continue to exist as a drapery only chain, and will keep the intown stores and convert them solely to Drapery, and the outtown stores going to Asda.

On a final note, Asda do treat their staff well, as good as Tesco.

However Asda do not tollerate unions nor care for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I for one welcome our new Asda/Walmart overlords...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

So what do you think theyd do with part timers and what not? just toss em out alltogether (depending on service length and all that)

Im an employee in dunnes and this really does worry me a great deal as its a job I depend on a great deal to get me by.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement