Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores to be sold

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

So what do you think theyd do with part timers and what not? just toss em out alltogether (depending on service length and all that)

Im an employee in dunnes and this really does worry me a great deal as its a job I depend on a great deal to get me by.

Asda loves part timers.

Its employee base is made up of Flexi "Collegue" workers. (part Timers.)

Its the full timers that will loose their jobs, and the long service staff.

Of course Asda wont just sack them, but they will p them off enough within the employment rules to make people leave.

For instance someone who has had it easy propping up a counter will now find themselves asked to replenish the freezers. (Which means spending several hours a day entering and exiting the large warehouse freezers).

So imagine the old dears been with Dunnes 40 years or so waiting for their pension and have a better contract than most managers, and when asked to do something outside of their normal working day run to the unions. There day will be long gone, and in fact will now find themselves spending a lot of time doing jobs they hate, and constantly being "collegue accounted".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

icdg wrote: »
    The company that owns Superquinn, Select Retail Holdings Limited, is not listed and there is no public share register. However, its fronted by a retailer, Simon Burke, but several property developers are involved.

As for UK based potential acquirers. Waitrose would be the best fit. Superquinn does (or until recently did) already stock some of its products and it is a similar upmarket style. Waitrose's parent John Lewis already wants to enter the Irish market. M&S might be another potential acquirer and at this stage is nearly bigger in Ireland than Superquinn (which hasn't really expanded that much in years).

However I have a feeling that the eventual acquirer might be none other than J Sainsbury, even though they have said a couple of times that they're not interested in the Irish market.

Dunnes isn't listed either and doesn't declare it's worth, earnings or tax returns; always bear it in mind the next time Ben Dunne tells us how to vote or about spending taxes:rolleyes:

Superquinn tend to either own or hold most of their own premises so in some respects given the capital required to buy into them, they are less prone to takeover and rebranding as Quinnsworth/Crazy Prices were in the mid 90's; back then Tescos literally walked in on a Monday and had a deal sealed come the Thursday unbeknownst to the retail world for IR£647 million; Superquinn went for €450 million with far less retail trade pro rata but crucially with property value. They have gone a long way to expand and rebrand in the last few years (Tons of refittes shops and some new ones, more on the way) though they needed to expand their chain years back when Fergal Quinn was too busy in the Seaníd.

While property prices have fallen as of late, the Select Group took on a business with a decent brand name, a decent cash flow, good sites, a long and dedicated customer base, a good reputation in the European trade for innovation and a more stable market position than most other multiples in Ireland insofar as they are considered the sole quality retailer in Ireland; the customer perception of them is that their competition is the high street butchers, bakers etc. Super Valu in the country towns is most similar to their shops in terms of shopping feel so if they were to expand anywhere, this is their next step in the smaller locations that have not become Tesco Towns.

I agree than Waitrose is their best match in the UK but I suspect that their size and character will serve to protect them at the minute in the market. They seem to have a loyal customer and supplier base and to be honest, they are hacking at some of the prices as much as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I agree than Waitrose is their best match in the UK .

Whose match? Are you saying that Waitrose are a similar type of supermarket as Dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I really hope you are right but will believe it when I see it.

He is right.

Like he said, If you go to Enniskillen you can see it first hand. Both Tesco and Asda built new stores just over a year ago. Being close to the border they both pull in quite alot of business.

Before i left we were making around 1.2 million a week, if there was a southern bank holiday we'd easily make far more.

Tesco will finally have some hardcore competition so it can only benefit the consumers in the long run.

btw, joe how ya know so much about asda? your right about it expanding in enniskillen. Larger clothes and alcohol section and i think they were talking about a filling station as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Frelance wrote: »
    He is right.

Like he said, If you go to Enniskillen you can see it first hand. Both Tesco and Asda built new stores just over a year ago. Being close to the border they both pull in quite alot of business.

Oh I know they have pulled in a huge amount of business from the South.

Hopefully,as you said if they come in here it will be real competition to such an extent that we see a significant fall in prices and it won't be a case of the same goods still being significantly cheaper in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Walmart coming to Ireland? What about Dunnes clothing and home stuff? they do nice stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

This is great news. Tesco and Asda going head to head should mean big cost cuts. They hate each other.

Asda do their own range of clothing which I would consider to be on a par with Dunnes, I think they are the biggest clothing retailer in the UK. The George brand is named after the guy who re0invented the Asda clothing range a few years back, he was previously head of something or other at Next and style wise they are similar i would say, but lower cost and a less prestigious brand.

I would say Waitrose and Quinns are fairly similar but the john Lewis group has a very unique corporate structure and I'm not sure well that suits buying out companies. Waitrose are a very high quality supermarket though, in the same sort of range as M&S, but they aint cheap.

I really couldn't care less if something is irish-owned. If they are ripping me off then screw them. I would gladly get my weeks shopping from Lidl or Aldi for half the price than from Dunnes.

This can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Overheal wrote: »
    The last thing you want is Walmart swooping in.

Bollix and you know it.

The best chance we have of legalisation around the ready sale of firearms in this country is to get a Walmart on ever corner!

Guns ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

As soon as it is sold the Criminal Assets Bureau should being investigating the Dunnes family trust. They were so close to Haughey that this could net a few billion for the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭chaotic_vr

I heard Sainsbury's bought Dunnes yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

chaotic_vr wrote: »
    I heard Sainsbury's bought Dunnes yesterday.

hhmmm, that would be interesting. I like sainsburys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Superquinn have gone to the dogs since they were taken over.. their selection of products have dropped dramatically, quality of service has nose dived and they whole thing is now a joke.. wouldnt touch one where as up to about 3 years ago it was the only place I shopped..

Bring on a take over by someone who knows what they are doing..!!

As for Dunnes, well that writing has been on the wall for ages, it was only a matter of time before they were taken over, I'm just surprised its taken so long.

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    So imagine the old dears been with Dunnes 40 years or so waiting for their pension and have a better contract than most managers, and when asked to do something outside of their normal working day run to the unions. There day will be long gone, and in fact will now find themselves spending a lot of time doing jobs they hate, and constantly being "colleague accounted".
    They should be retired and pensioned off if they don't like the regime change. One thing for sure is that the union will be given the road as soon as the ink is dry on the sale. If the workers strike Asda will sack them and hire in non union workers immediately. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They should be retired and pensioned off if they don't like the regime change. One thing for sure is that the union will be given the road as soon as the ink is dry on the sale. If the workers strike Asda will sack them and hire in non union workers immediately. Problem solved.

Bond if you don't know what you're talking about don't bother to type anything. Your comment adds nothing to the discussion and is legally inaccurate.

The can refuse to recognise the union and refuse to talk to them. Nothing illegal about that. Ryanair is a good example.

What use is a union that management won't talk to?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

No sign of Iceland taking anything over, so at least we won't have that Kerry CatFadden wan trying to hawk us frozen sprouts...

It BeeMee wrote: »
    No sign of Iceland taking anything over, so at least we won't have that Kerry CatFadden wan trying to hawk us frozen sprouts...
    They are in no position to buy out anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

keep your heads guys and gals if ASDA walmart buy DUNES it wont be all that bad for a start prices will drop and TESCO will have to drop there prices as well my wife has worked for ASDA over 20 years{before it was WALMART] and finds it a good place to work --low prices good for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

I think that having a union that management wont recognise is preety much illegal. I dont think thats going to happen. I mean thats sheer insanity.. if that was the case whats the point in even having or joining the union?

Dunnes workers have striked before, in the 90's I think it was and it was everywhere. customers kinda sided with them aswell though. but one things for certain times have changed.

If customers are promised lower prices they wont care as much about the workers that are employed in the place, especially in a recession.

I think we can only wait and see what happens.
    I mean I work in the place, im as worried as much as anyone right now if not more so. Anything thats been said right now is just all speculation, for all we know it could be that its a change of managership, or just rebranding the name and policies from dunnes to asda as many have said in previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Ahhh...they can't take the footwear department away from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

The Dunne family don't know how to run a business. To be the No.1 supermarket in the country only to be beat by Tesco within 5 years of them entering the Irish market. Dunnes just simply lied down and let them take over.

ps. WWW.ASDA.IE is active and forwarding to walmart.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

they´ll have to rename us New England! the amount of english owned stores here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Bout time. Their way of doing business and their decor is like something from the 80's. Just the shake up it needs.
    Oh I don't know. I think the interior looks pretty good these days - it used to be grim, but that was pre Celtic Tiger.

Skyuser wrote: »
    The Dunne family don't know how to run a business. To be the No.1 supermarket in the country only to be beat by Tesco within 5 years of them entering the Irish market. Dunnes just simply lied down and let them take over.

ps. WWW.ASDA.IE is active and forwarding to walmart.com
    domain: asda.ie
    descr: Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    descr: BODY CORPORATE (LTD,PLC,COMPANY)
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: AAP720-IEDR
    tech-c: CCA7-IEDR
    renewal: 19-March-2009
    nserver: NS1.MARKMONITOR.COM
    nserver: NS3.MARKMONITOR.COM
    source: IEDR
    Looks like it could be a goer.

Frelance wrote: »
    He is right.

Before i left we were making around 1.2 million a week, if there was a southern bank holiday we'd easily make far more.

Tesco will finally have some hardcore competition so it can only benefit the consumers in the long run.

btw, joe how ya know so much about asda? your right about it expanding in enniskillen. Larger clothes and alcohol section and i think they were talking about a filling station as well.

Family connections at Wallmart HO in the US, that know a lot about the Europe side of the business.;)

Oh and I work for Tesco, who are very worried about the effects of ASDA on the republic of Ireland market!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭jessbeth

I think it will be great if it happens. I'm bought stuff from Dunnes a few times only to take it home and find out it was gone off even though the date was good. It really put me off shopping there.

ASDA will try to work with the unions, its in their interest.

But they will not be told how to run their business by them.

Wallmart have great plans for Ireland, and no union will get in wallmarts way.

It will be either work with Asda, or ASDA will find a union that will.

And eitherway Dunnes would have gone bust will all staff loosing their jobs, so the unions will have to except the best offer on the table with minimal job cuts.

Ive heard that there are to be about 8000 job cuts, but 4,000 new positions offered. The new positions will be part time only.

The other 4000 job loses will be offered employment in the new company that takes over the non Asda old Dunnes stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

snorlax--dont knock it -its about time us english , had our own ethnic stores over here

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    snorlax--dont knock it -its about time us english , had our own ethnic stores over here
    For sure.

You get sick of cabbage and bacon and potatoes real quick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement