Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Walls, kind of. I'm following a marathon training program at the moment, so this kind of run is either aerobic (general speed) or recovery (slower to help recover from a harder session), and also includes 'x' number of strides, where you accelerate to a comfortable sprint pace using good running form for (in my case) 100m. So at the end of every mile I make sure my form is correct and accelerate to a sprint and keep up the pace and form for 100 metres.

I use my watch to tell me when to do the strides, and how long I should do them for, as I have a very bad eye for judging distances. I'm following a program in Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas. Hal Higdon also has a range of programs which he makes available free on the interweb, which cover a range of distances and experience levels, which I found great. More here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

I'm only slowly becoming aware of the complexity that can be attached to training, so I am bookmarking that page and leaving it for a little bit. Thank you for explaining all this, however, it saves me from the bland "smile and nod" response in future.

It really doesn't have to be complicated though! The best runs are when you put on your runners when the sun is shining, with some good tunes on your mp3 player (or a running companion) , with no targets at all. Bliss!

It really only gets complicated where you have specific targets about improving your speed, distance, or achieving a race goal.

Today: 4.5 miles in the park, just to see how the shin was holding up, and to try out the new running shoes.

First mile:9:56 - Ran with the OH and my 8 yo.
    2nd mile: 8:30 - Muscles warming up
    3rd mile: 7:32 - Didn't notice the pace picking up
    4th mile: 6:47 - Nice comfortable mile - I love running!
    Boo... Time to go home just as I'm starting to feel good.

So shin feeling a little better, but still making itself known. I'll go to tomorrow's 5K race, but will probably pace the OH and some friends for a 30 minute finish, rather than going flat out. Plenty of time to record a PB for 5K, but only 7 days to the marathon.

Summary: 4.5 miles in 36 mins @8:08 HR=140

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Enjoy the taper KC. Good to see you getting the family in on the running effort too :)

• Advertisement

Race Report: St. Patricks Festival 5K Road Race

<Thankfully shorter than other race reports, as it only took 19 minutes to complete the race!>

I signed up for this race on Tuesday, and spent the next few days torn between giving it a good go, resting my sore shin, or pacing some friends to complete the race in under 30 minutes. With only 7 days to Connemara, I felt it would be unwise to further aggravate my shin. Sadly, 'unwise' is what I do best.

A nice buzz around the city centre, it's one of the few times of year when it's nice to see throngs of people wearing tracksuits, and is a fitting prelude to the drinking binges that will fill the streets in just a few days time. The mansion house is a great setting for organizing the race numbers, and you feel duty-bound to make a few trips to the Lord Mayor's commode, as it makes such a change from finding a thick hedge or discrete bush.

Lining up at the start, everyone was calm and in good spirits. I started around 150 people from the front, but this number soon swelled with another 350 people (mostly kids and heavy-weight walkers who wanted a good view of the start of the race). A few inaudible words from the Chairman of the Board, and we were off. Having never run a 5k race (or any race as short as this before) I decided I would head out at 6:30/mile, and see how the shin and the cardio system were holding up, and then increase or decrease the pace as the body dictated. After a half a mile, I was running comfortably at 6:22/mile arriving at Merrion Square, so decided to up the pace a little, and follow my head. Picking off runners for a while, it was a relief to arrive back on Pembrook Street, as it signaled that we had a little over a kilometer left to go. At this stage I bumped into Woddle who was holding on nicely and didn't want to push on further, so I scouted on ahead and increased the pace again for the final push (5:43/mile).

Arriving back on Baggot Street I pulled alongside a club runner, and we ran stride for stride for a little while, and it seemed for a moment that we might have a battle between us to the finish line. All I could think of was Tingle's re-posting of Cathal Dennehy's fantastic essay about recovering from injury and battling for first place in an x-country race. With that in mind, I spurred myself past the club runner, and pushed to a final sprint as we hit the top of Dawson Street, pipping another 5 or 6 runners to the finish line. Overall, a very enjoyable experience, a PB I'm happy with (that I think I can pick off fairly easily) and a well organized event.

Kilometer splits:
    3:56/3:42/3:50/3:40/3:30

Summary: 5K race in 19:04, @6/mile, HR=174.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats again Krusty, great to be able to have a little chat. I reckon the next 5k you will have a super time as when you passed me you just made it look easy, if I didn't know better I reckon you were hiding on that corner since the start and then jumped in :D, you looked very strong, a credit to your training and possibly the mountain races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats again Krusty, great to be able to have a little chat. I reckon the next 5k you will have a super time as when you passed me you just made it look easy, if I didn't know better I reckon you were hiding on that corner since the start and then jumped in :D, you looked very strong, a credit to your training and possibly the mountain races

Well done both you guys 19'25 and 19'04 respectively great stuff! Smashed the sub 20 barrier, next stop ... opening the same can of whoop ass on the sub 40 :D Nice report too Krusty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good running; that mix of hi mileage, hills and quality sessions is giving you a good spread of pace between 5k and marathon. A good comfortable run next Sunday and you'll have a lot of work done in your prep for edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Nicely done, Sir, I salute you!

• Advertisement

Planned my last medium run - 10 miles up around the hills, but had to limp home after 3 miles. Rest, ice, compression, elevation, hope. :(
    Summary: Miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Don't give up or get too disheartened Krusty. Sunday is a long way away, plenty of time to rest up and hopefully what ails you will pass...fingers crossed for you...

Yesterday: weights and core strength (non-shin weight bearing).
    Today: Had planned to take a few days off to allow the shin to recover, and hopefully allow me to go ahead with the plan to do a slow Connemarathon. After two days of frozen sweet-corn (taken externally - not internally), feet up, and compression bandages I've been going a little cabin-feverish, and the shin felt a lot better, so decided to move my assessment forward by a day (thus giving me two further days of rest before the marathon).

I put on the race uniform again, loaded the pockets with gels (just to see if my running shorts will fall down around my ankles with the weight!) and headed out. Four miles later, I can still feel the niggles, but they feel very minor. On a plus note, my buddies planned race pace is far slower than any recovery run I would do, and I couldn't even get close to running that pace in the park today, so I'm giving myself every chance. My only concern will be 'time on my feet' which will be close to 3:40, which I've never done before.

So, a lot more optimistic today. Planning to go ahead, and enjoy the day.

Summary: Upbeat! 4.25 miles in 32 mins, @7:40/mile. HR=144.
    Race uniform looks great, except for the dodgy knee-length socks, which I hope will keep my shin in order!

Enjoy your 'training run' at the weekend. Good luck.

Thanks. Looking forward to my extra long recovery run. :D
    I'm sick of pasta, rice, couscous and bread-sticks. I must be ready!

I don't know if I am justified in describing this as a race report, as I wasn't really racing. I think a more accurate description would be 'Connemarathon long slow run while other people are racing report'.

In the weeks leading up to the race I was having doubts as to whether or not I should take part in the Connemarathon due to shin problems. These issues persisted right until the start of the race. So, though the plan was to run the race almost a half hour slower than my planned pace in Edinburgh in eight weeks time I was still a little nervous before the starting gun starting bull-horn. Thankfully, a couple of miles into the race, these problems hadn't persisted, so I knew I was going to be ok to go the distance.

My buddies plan was to finish sub 3:45, so we figured we'd stick to a pace that was sub 8:23/mile, going a little quicker for the first 13 miles to bank some much needed minutes for the two hills in the second half, which we have run a number of times in the half marathons over previous years. So I dialed the pace into the Garmin, pinned some gels to my shorts, donned my boards AC singlet (with great pride :cool:) and after an efficient bus transfer, lined up at the start, with the other cold nervous marathoners.

While we were waiting for the kick-off, the route was cleared for an Ultra runner (known only as George) who pelted past all of us at a very brisk pace. I understand from other reports that he suffered later in the race, but he looked to be in fine form as he flew by. Then it was our time to go, and we settled into the rear of the marathon pack, deciding to take the strategy that we would pick off the field as the race went on. The weather was cool, and dry. Perfect for this kind of race. The first few miles passed uneventfully, with wonderful scenery and backdrops, as the runners settled into their respective paces. The pace was very comfortable for the two of us, as we chatted, joked and enjoyed the journey, with a slight head-wind. Water stations were well supplied and well-manned and exactly where they were supposed to be, which was great.

We were in great form as we arrived at Leenane, Lenaune, Leenaune, the half way point, and the views and pleasant down-hill really lifted the spirits. Soon afterwards we started picking of the back of the half-marathon field, and what a great bunch of people they were. Just as we had cheered on the Ultras and Marathoners in previous years, so they returned the favour in spades, giving us encouragement whenever they saw our marathon race numbers. Having run the half marathon the two previous years, we were now on familiar territory, on roads and hills we knew well, which helped greatly. As we arrived at the Hell of the West, I felt like I could run at this pace forever without ever needing to slow down. Having trained on far more substantial hills, 'the hell' felt like little more than a gentle climb. Running buddy was feeling the miles at this stage, but surrender was never an option, so he persisted, and I goaded him on, towards the finish line.

Some great support over the last two miles, we picked up the pace and sprinted together over the finish line.

So marathon number 3 is completed. Far from the fastest, but still, one of the most enjoyable. For those marathoners constantly striving for the next PB, I recommend taking a break at some stage, to go out and really enjoy a marathon. In future, I'd like to continue running 3 or 4 marathons a year, targeting only one or two of these for beating my PBs, and running the rest for the sheer joy of running in great surroundings, with generous fellow competitors.

These statistics aren't really mine but his, but here goes anyway:
    1/2 Marathon Splits: 1:47 and 1:50 (which is very even, considering the hills).
    Overall time: 3:38
    Finish Place: around 104/474

My average heart rate: 148 (77%) :) (Happy with this!)
    Link to Motionbased

Now - back to the hard running. 69 Days left to Edinburgh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

What a great lsr and report. Glad to see the shins held up. Looking forward to the pics

Great running. Great report and some good points noted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great report Krusty_Clown. That LSR will definately stand to you.
    I can second you recommendation on just running a marathon at a nice pace and enjoy. When I entered Leenane I said to myself:
    "I feel great having run 26.2 miles, wouldn't it be great just to finish feeling like this".

I was kinda looking out for you after Leenane but didn' t see any sign of a Krusty Clown badge on the back of your t-shirt:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Well done Krusty, delighted to hear the shins held up :-)

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    I was kinda looking out for you after Leenane but didn' t see any sign of a Krusty Clown badge on the back of your t-shirt:)
    I completely forgot to do a badge. Was too busy thinking of the beer after the race. :) Were you dressed mostly in black and running with another guy dressed in black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good stuff KC! Quality lsr that will stand to you. Must be a great feeling to run a 'tough' marathon below your PMP and have the feeling of plenty of juice left in the tank for an attack at a pb :) Good sound advice about just doing some for the experience. No doubt you soak up much more of the atmosphere than you do with your ears pinned back ;)

Rested up completely yesterday, but I'm also fully aware that I'm in week 14 of a P&D 24 week marathon program. Thankfully the schedules match up nicely, and this week is a recovery week, so if I take things a little easier, I hope to be fully back up to speed on Monday.

Today called for a 5 mile recovery run, so I hit the local park. Was quite stiff as I started on the grass, so first mile was almost 9 min/mile. But I was very glad that all my muscles started to loosen up as I went along, so mile by mile the pace picked up, and I finished at a nice comfortable 7:20/mile.

Tomorrow calls for some speed-work, however, in the interest of recovery and avoiding injury, I might just do the distance without the intervals, or re-jiggle the schedule.

Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins @8 min/mile.

Cross-posted from the Connemarathon thread:
    Here's my photo diary from the race: http://irelandbygps.com/treks/connemara09/.

I'm thinking that Flickr or Locr might be a better medium for the photos, but at least you get a sense of where the photos were taken. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but I wasn't slowing down. I left the crappy photos in there too, for part of the experience. :) You can click on the blue pushpins for the full size images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PumpJacks

A big thank you Krusty for hauling me around the course .... I'm not sure whether it was the inspirational stories, the Rocky & Chariots of Fire theme songs or the fact that you were able to send emails and texts & take photo's while running beside me that drove me on more ;) Really happy with the 3:38 time and hoping to learn a few things from the experienced runners on the thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done on your 'training run' :D

What are you aiming for in Edinburgh?

PumpJacks wrote: »
    A big thank you Krusty for hauling me around the course .... I'm not sure whether it was the inspirational stories, the Rocky & Chariots of Fire theme songs or the fact that you were able to send emails and texts & take photo's while running beside me that drove me on more ;) Really happy with the 3:38 time and hoping to learn a few things from the experienced runners on the thread.
    You're more than welcome. :D The next time we meet on the race circuit however, it will be every man for himself, elbows wind-milling, leg-tripping, desperate race to the finish-line! By the way, here's the elevation profile for your next race. I should be charging. :)

mp1972 wrote: »
    Well done on your 'training run' :D
    What are you aiming for in Edinburgh?
    Hi mp, I'm hoping for 3:05-3:07. Pretty specific, but you gotta have a plan!
    How's the ultra recovery? Are you still ultra-sore?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hi mp, I'm hoping for 3:05-3:07. Pretty specific, but you gotta have a plan!
    How's the ultra recovery? Are you still ultra-sore?

I will hopefully be less than an hour behind you then, so I expect a nice, cold pint of Coors waiting for me when I cross the finish line. :)

There has been a very surprising lack of soreness. My knee was still agony as I climbed into bed on sunday night but monday morning there was very little knee pain and my quads were fine and I mean FINE, no pain or stiffness at all :eek: "What is this madness?!" I thought! I spent most of monday sitting on my arse watching tv and began to get a little stiff yesterday afternoon, nothing too extreme so I walked it off today with the dogs(the worlds three best training partners). Still a bit of quad stiffness but nothing extreme, nothing like what I felt after my last marathon anyway. I'm thinking it might be down to the ice cold shower I was forced to have in the hotel following the ultra, I kid you not, there was no hot water. :rolleyes: The pros do go on and on about the benefits of ice baths so maybe that was it, either that or I'm just dead 'ard and feel no pain :cool:

• Advertisement

Today: 8 miles with 5 x 611m Intervals with 90 secs jog between intervals.

Wasn't sure about doing speedwork so soon after the marathon, but limbs were feeling pretty good, so decided I'd go ahead, but do the intervals on the grass. So did an easy 4 mile (7:34/mile) jog to the park, followed by the intervals, which turned out to be 611 metres long (instead of 600s). Damn Metric Vs statute. Lots of strong gusts of wind in the park to mess with the numbers, but stayed fairly consistent.

Had set up a really good advanced program on the Garmin, but messed it up completely, including 90 minute rest between intervals instead of 90 seconds. A bit excessive! Calf muscles were rock hard and quite sore afterwards. To be expected I suppose.

I haven't done 600m reps before (not to mind 611m!), so have nothing to compare the intervals with, but the pace seemed about right (5:56/mile).

Motionbased link

Advertisement