Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: 11 Mile aerobic run
    Had planned to head up into the hills for this one (it's been a while :(), but after a couple of miles, my shin told me in no uncertain terms that this would be a bad idea. So I took a left instead of a right, and headed for the park and the relative safety and absolute boredom of the soft grass.

Despite constant icing, elevation and compression, I'm not seeing any improvement in the shin, so think a trip to the Physio is on the cards. However, it's almost a certainty that a physio will put paid to one or both of my races over the next two weekends.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:21, @7:24/mile. HR=150 (79%).

IMRA Race - Lough Tay to Glencullen - 22.2Kms
    What a fantastic way to spend two hours and seven euro!

Meeting up at Johnny Foxes for registration, it was obvious, it was going to be a hot one. I was glad I had brought the drinks belt, but regretted the red and black long sleeve top, that would attract all those sun-rays. I regrettably decided to follow the GPS on the drive to Lough Tay, instead of opting to take the much longer, much faster route via the N11. Still, a 30-minute rally race over Sally Gap got the adrenaline pumping (and in the case of one of my passengers, the bile flowing). We arrived at the start, with around 6 minutes to the gun, amid lots of cheering for some of the ultras who had reached their turnaround point.

We climbed up to the start point, and the race kicked off with a brief muddy climb before we hit the boardwalk section. I immediately regretted my start position at the back of the field, as the board-walk was a bottle-neck, forcing everyone to run (or walk) at the pace of the person in front. Over-taking meant jumping into the bog or the eroded ground which is a conservation no-no. Still, I managed to make some ground and by the time we hit the path around Djouce the field had spread out and I settled into a steady run. The trail at this stage is very narrow and uneven, so you really have to concentrate on every footfall to avoid any potential ankle injuries, so you don't get too much opportunity to admire the incredible views. A couple of scalps from very gracious runners wo made room for me to pass, before we started on the down-hill section. I was greatful for the innov8s, watching other runners sliding down the muddy-grass. A steep climb across the other side of the valley reduced me to a walk, before the fast descent into Crone Wood (recorded a 6:20 and a 6:38 on this section).

Crossing the scenic Dargle River, I took the opportunity to chat to a couple of other runners, who all seemed to be in similar high spirits, despite the tough run. The climb up Curtlestown Wood soon killed off all conversation as once again, most were reduced to a hands on knees climb (you learn this pose on your first IMRA run!). Frustratingly I got over-taken by a few runners on this section, as the body insisted that running up the fire-trail and the alien landscape of the decimated forest was a no-go area. The previous night's illicit Good Friday beer was taking its toll. Hitting the path around the Prince's seat, I knew we were on the back leg of the race. A couple of other runners overtook me on the downhill, pushing the pace a little too early, as I caught them later on the final stretch back to Foxes. The finish line was a welcome sight, as the les were fairly suffering.

A very enjoyable race, and certainly the best value that money can buy, with two water stations, three photos points and the best views you could ask for. Token hot and sweaty photo

Summary: 13.5 Sunny hard miles in 1:57. Results pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You look like you're enjoying yourself. Great report. Smashing photos on the imra site. John Shields has surpassed himself again. Your challenge now will be to see if you can improve your time next year as you'll have learned from the experience e.g. the back of the field start.

You look like you're enjoying yourself. Great report. Smashing photos on the imra site. John Shields has surpassed himself again. Your challenge now will be to see if you can improve your time next year as you'll have learned from the experience e.g. the back of the field start.
    That's not a smile, that's a grimace. :) Brilliant photos. Is he a runner too? I don't think the boardwalk would have cost me more than a minute or two, it's just more of an annoyance really. It was great catching other runners and having a brief chat and a laugh. IMRA runners are definitely the sociable side of running. I was a little frustrated with my walking sections, but still finished in a time I was happy with. Wexford is looking very unlikely. :(

Provisional result: 21st in a time of 117:45 (winner +25%). Very happy with that! Keeps my average finish for this year as 21st position (3 races).

• Advertisement

Limped through Sunday-Tuesday, and finally went to physical therapist on Wednesday. He ripped my muscles to shreds and also managed to get my tear ducts working :), but by the time I left his office the limp was far less pronounced.

Managed to pick up a 24 hour bug then on Thursday, so no running until today. Still quite stiff and sore.

Today: 9 miles with 5 x 1,000m @5K race pace (2 mins rest).
    Really wasn't looking forward to this session, given the week I've had, but it went ok. Was really gasping over the last couple of intervals, but managed to keep on going. Calfs are very tight afterwards, but should hopefully be ok for the Wexford half marathon on Sunday.
    Interval times: 3:39/3:43/3:36/3:45/3:46

Summary: 9 miles in 1:06, @7:18/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

did you do the nine miles @7.18 along with the rep ? if you did thats savage :eek:

The nine miles includes the reps, and the easy jog between reps. I did four miles at the start, at 7:30/mile, then the intervals, then finished up with a much slower warm-down. I was aiming for 6min/mile for the intervals, as that's the pace that I ran a recent 5K race at (19:04). Stiff as a board now!

Wexford Half Quarter marathon!

While warming up, I could feel my calf tugging on a ligament, but decided I'd give the race a go and pull up if I felt pain/injury. The plan was to aim for 6:50/mile until mile 11 or 12, and then let-fly with whatever I had left. Was motoring nicely until around mile 4, when the hills started (physical therapist had told me to avoid hills) and then the back of the knee really started to ache. Hung on for one more mile before I decided it would be foolish to continue (first sign of common-sense?!) and then decided to pull-up half way through mile 7. Walking didn't feel too bad, and I was at least three or four miles away from the city, so decided I'd walk the rest of the course and enjoy the sunshine. So, by no means a PB, but still a fun couple of hours, as I chatted to the other walkers, and runners taking a break.

Some great views, and fantastic sunshine, not the worst end to the day. Spent the rest of the day (and a lot of the night!) celebrating with a few friends who ran their first half, so weekend wasn't a wash-out. I thought the race organization was great, except that some fecker nicked my number and chip (which was quickly sorted). Will do this one again.

Only 6 weeks until Edinburgh. I have to get my leg sorted, asap. No running at all this week, until the pain is gone completely. will try cycling, but it's been a while!

Garmin Connect

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Hung on for one more mile before I decided it would be foolish to continue (first sign of common-sense?!) and then decided to pull-up half way through mile 7.

now why can't I do that?!

Ran the Frank Duffy 10 last year with a dodgy calf, which promptly went again once the hills started. Set me back weeks, and eventually had to stop and take a few months to get it right. If only I'd had sense!

Enjoy Edinburgh. Did it in 2005. Good crowd... even better pubs!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear of the injury...hope it clears up for Edinburgh, I'm looking forward to you showing me up. :D

Today: 10 mile hilly cycle
    My second time on a bike in ten years, but running isn't an option at the moment, so I greased up the OH's old nelly (bike, that is), pumped the tyres, and hitched up the seat. I have to say, I enjoyed the experience. Far better than doing nothing, and I was able to get up around the hills around Carrigologan, which I haven't been able to do, for quite some time.

I struggled a little at first, trying to find turn signals, rear view mirrors, and every time I tried to twist the throttle, I didn't go faster, it just made a geary-type clunky noise. Not quite as quick as my bike, but a good workout nonetheless.

Questions:
    1) With 21 gears, how the hell are you supposed to know which one to be in?
    2) Going up steep hills, should you stand one the pedals and pump, or remain seated and stick it in a very high gear
    3) Going down hills, pedal, or just free-wheel and shout 'wheeeeee'?

Summary: 10 mile Cycle in 54 mins, with some lovely hills, and great coasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I am on the bike at the moment as well Krusty and I am trying to figure out what is the best sessions to be doing. I think I will just keep the pedals turning at a decent rate and do plenty of miles.

What do you think would be the ratio of work effort between running and cycling, in terms of miles? The bike is a stiff old thing with mountain bike tyres, rather than a sleek swish super-light 'pedals-itself' kind of bike, so I was thinking, 1:2 (10 miles on foot, equivalent to 20 miles on bike).

Thats what I am planning as well so at the moment my long run is 10 mile so I will cycle 20 at the weekend. Like you my bike is a heavy mountain bike which also turns heads as I cycle by in the park with the amount of squeaking it does. I read somewhere a rule of 10-15bpm less on the bike would be equivalent to running effort but I am no expert so I am going just cycle how I feel.

Does it have a cross bar? At least yours is gender-correct. :)

Yes of course and a bell too.

Today: Weights, core strength, and newly aquired foam-roller excercises, which after 20 minutes use, seems to definitely help loosen up the calf, IT band, and hamstrings. Back to the physical therapist tomorrow, for another session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Krusty just looking at your 8 exercises for the foam roller, they are very similar but a couple of differences. The first one I noticed is when doing the calfs, do them 1 at a time and throw the leg your not doing over the leg your doing, makes a huge difference. The other one I noticed was when she is on her side, either for the It band or the side of the shin. If you do these with your feet not touching the ground and try get your body more paralell to the floor, again you'll notice a big difference, could be worth theroadrunner scanning them across for you. The guy that wrote the article in the IR is Sean Singlton and I was lucky enough that I play football with him so he demonstrated them to me, now I didn't read your article in full, I just looked at the pics, so maybe the author has said all the above. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

What do you think would be the ratio of work effort between running and cycling, in terms of miles? The bike is a stiff old thing with mountain bike tyres, rather than a sleek swish super-light 'pedals-itself' kind of bike, so I was thinking, 1:2 (10 miles on foot, equivalent to 20 miles on bike).

Higher ratio than that 1:4-6 depending on how fast you are cycling

Interesting short article http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/8841.html

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    Higher ratio than that 1:4-6 depending on how fast you are cycling

Interesting short article http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/8841.html
    Hmm.. That doesn't seem to take into account the unsuitability of the bike for the purpose for which it is being used. :) Hills are also an interesting one, as while it takes a significant amount of work to get up them, but takes absolutely no effort to get back down. I suppose climbing a steep hill on a bike takes more effort than running up the same hill, as you also have to propel the weight of the bike.

So the equivalent of a 20 mile run, would be 20 x 4.2 = 84 miles (around 7 hours on my wife's bike :eek:). I think I'll use a 1:3 ratio, and do some additional weight/core work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I suppose climbing a steep hill on a bike takes more effort than running up the same hill, as you also have to propel the weight of the bike.

Yep..... so.. just do hill repeats ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Hey kc, glad to see you're turning into a total athlete, you'll be swimming next! what did your physio think is the cause of your strain? In terms of lsr's what have you done, what have you planned to do from here in?

asimonov wrote: »
    Hey kc, glad to see you're turning into a total athlete, you'll be swimming next! what did your physio think is the cause of your strain? In terms of lsr's what have you done, what have you planned to do from here in?
    Hey Asimonov. I've done a 2x16, 1x18, 2 x 20's, and a 26 (Connemara). Since Connemara though, due to races and injury, I haven't had an opportunity to do any very long runs. I'm hoping to get two long runs before the taper, but am running out of time. Schedule calls for a 21 the weekend after this one, but will depend on the recovery. I did 5x20s before Longford last year and 2x22's for Dublin a few weeks later, so I'm not very comfortable with the current situation. I do have a fall-back position for my time target though.

Physio says the problem is my calf muscle, which is pulling on the ligament behind my knee. But he reckons I should be ok in a week or so, if I stay away from running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Physio says the problem is my calf muscle, which is pulling on the ligament behind my knee. But he reckons I should be ok in a week or so, if I stay away from running.
    thats the hard part , you wish theycould give you an alternative cause normally its the last thing you want to do !

Seres wrote: »
    thats the hard part , you wish theycould give you an alternative cause normally its the last thing you want to do !
    I've started ripping wall-paper off of the walls in the house, and re-decorating just to keep myself occupied. Running withdrawal! Hoping to do 30 miles on the bike shortly. Wondering if this is over-doing it, for my third bike trip in 10 years?! Expecting a sore a$$!

Careful of your knees Krusty. The bike seems to be tough on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Hi, i know i have way less experience than you - but that's not going to stop me :D!

I'd imagine that your fitness and conditioning is excellent at this stage. I mean you cruised to a 3:40 in connemara which is probably closer to a 3:30 flat course time and your IMRA and training runs have been very strong as well. Maybe any exercise that you in the near future should be light workouts that may help your knee repair or at least won't strain it at all - you have no real need to improve aerobic fitness or muscle conditioning at this stage. You'll still have time to do a LSR, sharpen and taper.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Careful of your knees Krusty. The bike seems to be tough on them.
    Damn, should have read your reply before I headed out! Glad to say the bike seems to have done wonders, and I'm actually walking without a limp for the first time in two weeks. Hopefully, it's not just temporary. Physio recommended the bike and swimming, but I can't swim for crap.

• Advertisement

asimonov wrote: »
    I'd imagine that your fitness and conditioning is excellent at this stage.
    How does that fit in with a 2:21 half marathon? :D
    Yeah, I know, I should be fine. The problem with a 24 week marathon schedule is that I would hate to put in all that work and only shave a couple of minutes off of my PB. I'd like to make a significant dent. But we'll see how the next few weeks go. If I were you, I would be signing up for a late summer marathon, and aiming for 3:05, with your Wexford time. But that's just me!

Advertisement