Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

20 Mile LSR today. Race yesterday and wedding anniversary celebrations last night, so didn't think it was going to be too easy. Actually surprised myself and found it easier than I thought I would, but I have a very poor short term memory, and may have already locked-away the agony and the tears.

Had left the car in Sandyford, so decided I'd follow a route that would take in an early hill, and a hill towards the end of the run, to simulate a Connemara type run and return me back to the car. Lovely weather setting out, so wore just a T-shirt and shorts. The short hills at Killiney felt easy, and mile after mile was ticked off in rapid succession. Decided to run down the West Pier for nostalgic reasons, but as soon as I looped around the light-house the weather changed dramatically. Squalls and freezing hailstones made sure that the next half hour passed in a shivering mind-numbing miserable state.

But as I hit Sandymount, the sun came back out and I cheered-up. Couple of hill-climbs up to Sandyford, and I felt fresh, like I could have gone on for another 6 miles. I feel ready for Connemara anyway. I won't do a complete taper, as I wont be running flat out, but will start cutting back the mileage to be safe.

Summary: 20 Miles in 2:40, @8min/mile, HR=138 (72%).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Another fab run. Well done. Its great to sit back and click play on those runs without any of the effort :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

20 Mile LSR today. Race yesterday

Good that you got your 20 in today after all, and at a decent pace too. There's gonna be a lot of DOMS around these boards tomorrow...:)

Yesterday:
    Hal Higdons weights, followed by core strength exercises, which seem to be getting a little easier. Have increased repetitions to 13, and am thinking of adding a repetition every week. Also a 5 mile respect run for our missing running brother, not logged.

Today - DOMS. :) Rest.
    Tomorrow - 9 miles with 6 x 800m @5K pace
    Thursday - Plan to run the Wexford half-marathon route
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 6 Miles with strides
    Sunday - 13-15 Hilly miles

Today:
    VO2Max session - 9 Miles, with 6x800m at 5Km race pace, with 2 mins jogging between intervals. Have never done a 5K race, so used McMillan to produce a 5k equivalent pace for my target marathon time (3:07), which gave me 6:10/mile.

800m splits were:
    3:06,3:01,3:03,3:02,3:05,3:03
    with an average pace of 6:08/mile (target was 6:10/mile).
    I've decided to stick with measuring pace in miles for a while as it gets too confusing switching between the two. Not sure how I did with those intervals. Found them difficult but manageable, but delighted to do the first interval session of my long, long marathon training plan. Hope there's a few more coming up, as they really mix things up a little.

Summary: 9 miles in 1:08, @7:31/mile, Average HR=152

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

800m splits were:
    3:06,3:01,3:03,3:02,3:05,3:03
    with an average pace of 6:08/mile (target was 6:10/mile).
    I've decided to stick with measuring pace in miles for a while as it gets too confusing switching between the two. Not sure how I did with those intervals. Found them difficult but manageable, but delighted to do the first interval session of my long, long marathon training plan. Hope there's a few more coming up, as they really mix things up a little.

In terms of speed, they seem bang on for your target marathon time. Range for 800m for your target marathon time is about 2:55-3:05. Nice work, especially if you found them difficult but manageable. Were you starting each 800m feeling relatively fresh?

Peckham wrote: »
    In terms of speed, they seem bang on for your target marathon time. Range for 800m for your target marathon time is about 2:55-3:05. Nice work, especially if you found them difficult but manageable. Were you starting each 800m feeling relatively fresh?
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, started each one feeling fresh, although finishing them was becoming a bit of a struggle at the end (still some residual tiredness after a heavy running weekend). I was doing loops of a small field, and unfortunately I seemed synched up, so that 800m +2mins jog was one full lap of the park, which meant I started each interval with a short downhill, before finishing with a longer (but gentle) uphill climb. I think they'd be easier (quicker) on a track.

Today: Still a little tired and 'niggly' from yesterday's interval session, today called for a 12 mile run. For me, this kind of runs against the P&D principle of not having back to back hard runs, but I guess in the world of P&D's advanced marathoners, a 12 mile run is not a hard run.

Was a little tired and sore setting out, and as usual, started with a 4 mile gentle hill climb, but cresting the hill and on the way back down, the legs kicked into gear, and felt a lot better. Weather was a little cool, with occasional hail, but nice conditions for running. Finished up with a couple of miles slightly faster than PMP on the flat, which felt good.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:40, @7:34/mile, HR=151.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

You sure do put a lot of detail in your log! Good going on the IMRA race. What is your Marathon target for this year? I thought I was close to your running times before but with the work you are putting in I'll have to find a more realistic shadow for me to follow :)

MCOS wrote: »
    You sure do put a lot of detail in your log!
    The word you're looking for is waffle. :)
    I'm hoping to get as close as possible to 3 hours in Edinburgh at the end of May (3:07 is the real target, but would like to do better) and break 3 hours in Berlin in September. Along the way, I want to hammer my half-marathon time in Wexford, and join the illustrious sub-40 group for the 10K. I'm pretty sure I'm good for it now, I just won't get a chance until after a couple of marathons are completed.

Your overall fitness levels stand you well for any of the three disciplines. I still have some catching up to do, just on the running front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Today: Still a little tired and 'niggly' from yesterday's interval session, today called for a 12 mile run. For me, this kind of runs against the P&D principle of not having back to back hard runs, but I guess in the world of P&D's advanced marathoners, a 12 mile run is not a hard run.

Was a little tired and sore setting out, and as usual, started with a 4 mile gentle hill climb, but cresting the hill and on the way back down, the legs kicked into gear, and felt a lot better. Weather was a little cool, with occasional hail, but nice conditions for running. Finished up with a couple of miles slightly faster than PMP on the flat, which felt good.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:40, @7:34/mile, HR=151.
    it seems you are knocking out these halfs for fun!! i was delighted with doing one. fair play!! thanks for the encouragement/advice

kennyb3 wrote: »
    it seems you are knocking out these halfs for fun!! i was delighted with doing one. fair play!! thanks for the encouragement/advice
    The real fun begins in just over two weeks time. A close friend who I was supposed to be pacing (target 3:45) for the Connemarathon may have to pull out. His wife was due to have their second child a week after the marathon (close timing, I know!) but instead, she gave birth this morning (everything fine), so I don't think he'll go ahead with his plan for his first marathon.

Which means....?!?

I'm obviously going to push for a PB. Against my previous advice, I have absolutely no idea what time I should be targeting. Right now, I'm thinking 3:10. I also had no plans to do a proper taper, as I was going to be running the race at PB+25 mins, but now?! Time to do some thinking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The real fun begins in just over two weeks time. A close friend who I was supposed to be pacing (target 3:45) for the Connemarathon may have to pull out. His wife was due to have their second child a week after the marathon (close timing, I know!) but instead, she gave birth this morning (everything fine), so I don't think he'll go ahead with his plan for his first marathon.

Which means....?!?

I'm obviously going to push for a PB. Against my previous advice, I have absolutely no idea what time I should be targeting. Right now, I'm thinking 3:10. I also had no plans to do a proper taper, as I was going to be running the race at PB+25 mins, but now?! Time to do some thinking.....
    Could he not have told her to hang on for a bit!! and surely he should of had a word with the baby!! glad to hear all is well tho.

what is your current PB and your next goal figure? also what else have you got planned race wise after? the second question will prob dictate alot how hard you should run. then again im not the best person to be taking advice from, just lashing down a bit of what i ve learned thus far i guess.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Could he not have told her to hang on for a bit!! and surely he should of had a word with the baby!! glad to hear all is well tho.

what is your current PB and your next goal figure? also what else have you got planned race wise after? the second question will prob dictate alot how hard you should run. then again im not the best person to be taking advice from, just lashing down a bit of what i ve learned thus far i guess.
    Well, Connemara was supposed to be a 'just for fun' race, with Edinburgh in May being the real target. But if I can get half way between my current PB (3:20) and my planned Edinburgh time (3:07) I'll be happy. If it goes to plan it will also give me my Boston qualification time. Unfortunately Connemara isn't recognised (AFAIK) as a qualification race for Boston.

Yesterday: Weights plus core strength exercises.

Today: 6 mile recovery run with 6x100m strides.
    Summary:6.7 miles @7:38/mile, HR=144.

Wedding tonight, so off the booze from tomorrow until after the race. Diet needs to improve too. Race prep starts tomorrow. Tonight, booze. :)

Unfortunately Connemara isn't recognised (AFAIK) as a qualification race for Boston.

It's not. Has to be AIMS certified, and Dublin is the only one in Ireland that is.

Today: 16 mile run, on some new roads, around Fassaroe, Bray, Glen of the Downs GC, and back via Bray. Had planned to do a 5-5-5 predator type run (mostly because it just sounds so hard-ass :cool:), but the hills in the middle mostly put an end to that. Still managed to stay roughly in around the right paces, with the exception of a 9 minute mile during the steepest part of an evil hill climb. (Note to self: Always look at the elevation profile before setting out on a run on un-familliar roads!).

Also tried out a weatherproof cycling jacket I had bought in LIDL for 13 euro (don't mind throwing it away during a race if necessary). (Additional note to self: a jacket designed to keep rain out, will more than likely keep sweat in, and running surrounded by a cushion of cold sweat is not pleasant; dispose of LIDL jacket).

Summary: 16 Miles in 2:03, @7:39/mile, hr=150, +1 evil sneaky hill.

meter.mb?lapCategoryChart=true&applicationUnitContextDescription=duration&measurementModifierKey=sum&chartRequest.plotOrientationToVertical=true&chartRequest.legendVisible=true&episodePk.pkValue=7762573&chartRequest.plotForegroundOpacity=0.75&chartRequest.autoFit=true&chartRequest.width=340&chartRequest.height=227

Some nice hills in the middle there alright. Theres no escape the hills if you're running between Delgany and Kilmac, unless you stick to the dready main road. Good running.

Thanks! Had run in the area before, but previous times had turned left and headed on to Delgany, so just wasn't expecting the sudden steep extra climb. Well, I live and learn.

My running buddy has re-committed to doing Connemarathon, so I'm going back to the original plan - pace him for a sub 3:44 time. Means I get to enjoy it, and stick with the original plan of Edinburgh as my main focus.

Know that area very well (am originally from Greystones). Have you ever tried running up Windgates from the Greystones side?

Re the waterproof jacket - invest in a good running one. My top purchase of last year - makes the wet, dark runs much easier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Some recent good runs there Krusty Clown. You seem to be set up nicely for Sunday week

Peckham wrote: »
    Know that area very well (am originally from Greystones). Have you ever tried running up Windgates from the Greystones side?

Re the waterproof jacket - invest in a good running one. My top purchase of last year - makes the wet, dark runs much easier!
    Yes, I have indeed. Used to be a buddy's training run, when we started doing the Connemara half, but we would turn left, instead of heading over the side of (Little SugarLoaf?). It was a nice run, but some of those roads tend to be a rat-run for car traffic. I'll certainly do this run again, but would prefer to find a route that doesn't leave me running on the side of the N11, which is pretty crap. I saw a route on Mapmyrun that heads over Kilcroney direction, so might try and work that into a 20 mile run in future.

On the running jacket: Yes, absolutely. Was just looking for a disposable item, and I succeeded. I've already disposed of it. :)

Abhainn wrote: »
    Some recent good runs there Krusty Clown. You seem to be set up nicely for Sunday week
    Thanks. On my current form, I believe I'd be good for around 3:10, so running 3:40 should be a doddle, even with the hills. Hopefully it will help rather than hinder the road to Edinburgh in May.

7 Miles with 6x100m strides. Took it easy, on the grass in Shanganagh Park, as I've had a sore left shin for some reason. Created an advanced training program for the strides, that gave me a start signal at the end of every mile, and another signal after 100 metres were completed. Handy, except.... I repeatedly ended up doing my strides while traversing the muddy swamps between the fields.. Gloopy..

Summary: 7 miles @7:45 in 54 mins, HR=144.

Also bought a new pair of shoes - Mizuno Wave Rider 12's, which seem a lot more comfortable and lighter than the Kinsei. First non-Asics shoes for a number of years. Hoping to break them in before Connemara (around 40 miles and a long run of 13 miles to go), but if I don't, I'll go back to the Kinsei that have a few more miles left in them.

Nice going. Again we find ourselves traversing a lot of the same tracks :) Likewise breaking in new runners - saucony racing flats. So far so good.

Indeed! With a sore left shin the grass in the park was by far the safest option. You were going more than minute faster per mile though! And you stuck to the paths. Worried about getting your new shoes dirty? :D

Today: Had hoped to go for an easy run, to try out the new shoes and the new mp3 player I picked up, but my shin is advising me otherwise. Getting a little bit nervous at this stage. The 5K race on Sunday is in great jeopardy (which isn't a big issue) but if it's not sorted by the weekend, then.....

So, 15 mins of weights (without the lunges) and 20 minutes of core strength exercises (without the shin load-bearing exercises), and a further 30 mins of icing the shin and that's my lot for today. I want to run....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Today: 6 mile recovery run with 6x100m strides.
    Spot the new girl. Can I ask you to explain this method of plotting out your runs?

Walls wrote: »
    Spot the new girl. Can I ask you to explain this method of plotting out your runs?
    Hi Walls, I wear a Garmin Forerunner 405 watch, which has a GPS receiver. It records a breadcrumb trail of where you have been, but also provides information like your speed/pace, distance covered, altitude, heart rate (if you wear a HRM strap), lap pace, etc. After a run, you can upload the data to a site like Motionbased.com (there are actually many sites and downloadable applications) to interpret the data. Handy if you're a gadget-freak (like many on this forum), but many also prefer the more natural form of running, without taking GPS watches (or in some extremes, no watch at all).

I'm married to my watch, and find it hard to leave the house without it. :)

If you don't want to invest in a similar GPS watch, there are a few website that allow you to plot your runs. www.mapmyrun.com seems to be the most popular, though www.run.com gets a few votes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Many thanks! Now, when you say you run 6 x 100m runs, I'm assuming this is sprint work, etc?

Advertisement