Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yesterday: 8.65 miles easy

An ill-timed christmas party and an evening of consuming too many fermented carbohydrates (© theboyblunder), and I was pretty much regretting agreeing to meet Abhainn for a 'recce of the the following day's Wicklow senior XC route. Thankfully, Abhainn had also been enjoying some of those same carbohydrates, so when I got the text for a more sedate 1pm start, I was over the moon, as it gave me an opportunity to shave my tongue. Abhainn was breaking in a new pair of spikes, while I was just trying to clear away the cobwebs, so we ran what I figured was the route (spot on as it turns out). We probably overdid the run, completing the entire course (albeit at reasonably comfortable rate), but with warm-up and down, we hit 8+ miles, which is a bit much the day before a race. Still, Abhainn's xc shoes were looking a little less shiny and my hangover had cleared off for another day, so boxes ticked.

Summary: 8.65 miles in 61:50, @~7:08/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Yesterday: hangover had cleared off for another day, so boxes ticked.

You clearly had no hangover today KC. Very strong running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

How did it go?

Today: Wickow Senior Cross Country

Despite living closer to the course than anybody else, as usual, I reckon I was the last to arrive, as I ran around the house looking for 12" spikes, adjustable wrenches, club singlet, money, safety pins,and the random assortment of other accessories required for a race. Thankfully, I arrived with plenty of time, as the junior race was just getting underway, with the ladies race to kick off next. Had I been a gambling man, I would have bet on Fionnuala Britton winning the ladies race, with her younger sister coming in shortly afterwards, but the Bray ladies performed admirably with some superb performances, to take the team silver and individual bronze for one member of the team. It was worth the €5 entry fee just to watch Fionnula in action around the course. In the men's race we had our own superstars from the world of Irish athletics, with a former four time winner of the national marathon championship running as a guest, however sadly, this time he had no buggy to slow him down over the muddy, sloppy, well-rutted course.

My own goals for the race were simple: aim for a top ten finish and try to be a scoring member of the team, both of which would be challenging targets, among the high-performing team assembled that day (most of the top 10 finishers were decent 2:3x marathoners or equivalent). Bray had a particularly strong side, with Pronator, Abhainn, Beepbeep, Finn, wrstan, Martin and a recent new club member (having run 2:39 in Dublin). A nice warm-up with the club lads, before we retreated to the tent temporary club-house to get kitted out. A bit of nervous energy, as we all set off doing strides in different directions, out from the tent and back again, until the call came to summon us to the start line. A few hands shaken, a crack from the pistol and we were off.

Being a 10k+ race, this wasn't the usual 100m dash to the first corner. In fact, I was quite taken aback by the easy pace. Still, I was half way down the field of 40 or so runners, as we made our way around my old recovery run stomping ground. After the first lap around the field, the runners were separating into groups, so I was able to figure out where I lay and my position wasn't good. The top 10 had already made a good bit of ground, so I was already falling behind. I started working past runners, and small groups, until I fell in behind Finn (who had recently beaten me in the club handicap 5k) and Richard (from competing club Kilcoole) who'd beaten me by a place to finish second in the intermediate cross country. Sticking with them would be tough, but it seemed like the right place to be. As we wound our way around the first lap, the Kilcoole lad and I exchanged places, but Finn held strong, generally a foot or two ahead. Occasionally, I'd make a bit of ground on the uphills, only to be caught on the flats.

On the second lap, I was sticking pretty close to Finn, with Richard just behind me, but gradually we opened up a gap on him, and as the lap went on, the gap widened. As we hit the end of the second lap, I heard one of the Kilcoole bystanders instructing Richard to relax and catch his breath, so I had an idea that he might be suffering. Still Finn continued to run strong, and I continued to chase in his shadow, as the Bray spectators worked wonders, shouting support and encouragement at every corner of the course. On the uphills, I was a foot behind Finn, into the wind, right behind him, on the downhills, through the mud-baths, always just behind him.

I chanced a look back on the third lap, and we had opened up a gap behind us. Still Finn ran strongly, with me in his wake. With just a kilometer to go, he opened up a 20 foot gap. I held on, not letting the gap get any greater, as I was suffering now and I still had images of dropping a vital team place. The pace picked up as we hit the final straight, until we approached the final chute... which Finn missed completely, thinking we had another field to circumnavigate before we finished. I could've nipped in before him to steal a greedy place, but you'd want to be an dirty fecker to do that after he had dragged me around 3/4 of the entire course, taking the brunt of the wind. So he looped back and finished a deserved 6th place to my 7th in the competition (7th and 8th overall).

Pronator had run a stonking race, to finish a competition 2nd, with Neal running running a cracker to take 5th, and with our 6th and 7th, it was enough to wrestle the title from Kilcoole, who took a well earned 8, 9, 10 and 11th spot. The man of the moment was the triathlete Noellie Kavanagh, with Gary Crossan guesting in second place overall; an indication of the kind of talent that had shown up to contest the event. I'm happy with how I ran (not something I report from races too often). Still more to give, given the right race environment, but for today, that'll do pig. That'll do.

Summary: 6.46 miles in 37:27, @5:48/mile, plus some warm-up'n'down.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Great running today Gary and great report as always. Being well back in the field (that'd be a couple of fields behind you guys:)), it's great to get the report from the business end.
    Well deserved team victory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great race, in what sounds like a seriously stacked field

wrstan wrote: »
    Great running today Gary and great report as always. Being well back in the field (that'd be a couple of fields behind you guys:)), it's great to get the report from the business end.
    Thanks Bill. I was still a ways off the business end of the race, but it's good to get a little closer each time! Truth of the matter is that the first three guys ran so well that any of us could have been the fourth scoring member of the team, so I could have just stayed in bed. :)
    RayCun wrote:
    Great race, in what sounds like a seriously stacked field
    Needless to say, the race doesn't have the sort of competition you'd get in some of the larger counties, but there were some very strong runners in the mix. Interesting that so many of the competitors were in their 40s, or close to it. Old guys are just tougher. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Needless to say, the race doesn't have the sort of competition you'd get in some of the larger counties, but there were some very strong runners in the mix. Interesting that so many of the competitors were in their 40s, or close to it. Old guys are just tougher. :)

My take on that, would be that Wicklow is like Florida! A place for old timers to retire to ;)

Well done on your run.

TRR wrote: »
    My take on that, would be that Wicklow is like Florida! A place for old timers to retire to ;)
    So we can expect your completed application form in around three or four years time? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Today: Wickow Senior Cross Country

Despite living closer to the course than anybody else, as usual, I reckon I was the last to arrive, as I ran around the house looking for 12" spikes, adjustable wrenches, club singlet, money, safety pins,and the random assortment of other accessories required for a race. Thankfully, I arrived with plenty of time, as the junior race was just getting underway, with the ladies race to kick off next. Had I been a gambling man, I would have bet on Fionnuala Britton winning the ladies race, with her younger sister coming in shortly afterwards, but the Bray ladies performed admirably with some superb performances, to take the team silver and individual bronze for one member of the team. It was worth the €5 entry fee just to watch Fionnula in action around the course. In the men's race we had our own superstars from the world of Irish athletics, with a former four time winner of the national marathon championship running as a guest, however sadly, this time he had no buggy to slow him down over the muddy, sloppy, well-rutted course.

My own goals for the race were simple: aim for a top ten finish and try to be a scoring member of the team, both of which would be challenging targets, among the high-performing team assembled that day (most of the top 10 finishers were decent 2:3x marathoners or equivalent). Bray had a particularly strong side, with Pronator, Abhainn, Beepbeep, Finn, wrstan, Martin and a recent new club member (having run 2:39 in Dublin). A nice warm-up with the club lads, before we retreated to the tent temporary club-house to get kitted out. A bit of nervous energy, as we all set off doing strides in different directions, out from the tent and back again, until the call came to summon us to the start line. A few hands shaken, a crack from the pistol and we were off.

Being a 10k+ race, this wasn't the usual 100m dash to the first corner. In fact, I was quite taken aback by the easy pace. Still, I was half way down the field of 40 or so runners, as we made our way around my old recovery run stomping ground. After the first lap around the field, the runners were separating into groups, so I was able to figure out where I lay and my position wasn't good. The top 10 had already made a good bit of ground, so I was already falling behind. I started working past runners, and small groups, until I fell in behind Finn (who had recently beaten me in the club handicap 5k) and Richard (from competing club Kilcoole) who'd beaten me by a place to finish second in the intermediate cross country. Sticking with them would be tough, but it seemed like the right place to be. As we wound our way around the first lap, the Kilcoole lad and I exchanged places, but Finn held strong, generally a foot or two ahead. Occasionally, I'd make a bit of ground on the uphills, only to be caught on the flats.

On the second lap, I was sticking pretty close to Finn, with Richard just behind me, but gradually we opened up a gap on him, and as the lap went on, the gap widened. As we hit the end of the second lap, I heard one of the Kilcoole bystanders instructing Richard to relax and catch his breath, so I had an idea that he might be suffering. Still Finn continued to run strong, and I continued to chase in his shadow, as the Bray spectators worked wonders, shouting support and encouragement at every corner of the course. On the uphills, I was a foot behind Finn, into the wind, right behind him, on the downhills, through the mud-baths, always just behind him.

I chanced a look back on the third lap, and we had opened up a gap behind us. Still Finn ran strongly, with me in his wake. With just a kilometer to go, he opened up a 20 foot gap. I held on, not letting the gap get any greater, as I was suffering now and I still had images of dropping a vital team place. The pace picked up as we hit the final straight, until we approached the final chute... which Finn missed completely, thinking we had another field to circumnavigate before we finished. I could've nipped in before him to steal a greedy place, but you'd want to be an dirty fecker to do that after he had dragged me around 3/4 of the entire course, taking the brunt of the wind. So he looped back and finished a deserved 6th place to my 7th in the competition (7th and 8th overall).

Pronator had run a stonking race, to finish a competition 2nd, with Neal running running a cracker to take 5th, and with our 6th and 7th, it was enough to wrestle the title from Kilcoole, who took a well earned 8, 9, 10 and 11th spot. The man of the moment was the triathlete Noellie Kavanagh, with Gary Crossan guesting in second place overall; an indication of the kind of talent that had shown up to contest the event. I'm happy with how I ran (not something I report from races too often). Still more to give, given the right race environment, but for today, that'll do pig. That'll do.

Summary: 6.46 miles in 37:27, @5:48/mile, plus some warm-up'n'down.

Super run Gary. Stay on that upward curve. Resist the devil in the form of Joe and his craft beers :-)

• Advertisement

Pronator wrote: »
    Super run Gary. Stay on that upward curve. Resist the devil in the form of Joe and his craft beers :-)
    Thanks Pronator, but I'm not sure who is the worse influence. :P

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    After close to 16 miles of cross country over the weekend, I couldn't face another grass run, so it made for a pleasant change to hit the tarmac instead and run a few easy miles around the 'burbs. Christmas decorations are very restrained around Foxrock, so there is clearly some kind of code of ethics involved. Bah humbug.
    Summary: 6 miles in 46 mins, @7:39/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

So we can expect your completed application form in around three or four years time? :)

5 and a bit years thank you very much :) anyway I'd be afraid to move to Wicklow. If they ever combined male and female championship races i'd get chicked big style :)

Today: JD 5K-15k: 12 x 400m @Rep pace

Enthusiasm for this session was rock-bottom. Ideally, I should have had another day of easy running after Sunday's race, but with an entire afternoon and evening of work meetings tomorrow, it's going to be a write-off from a training perspective. In my lethargic coma, I watched as a sunny warm day gradually eroded into a gloomy afternoon, complete with freezing fog. I figured I'd jog to the cinder track anyway, so at least if I wasn't up to the session, that'd be six miles in the bag. Arriving there, the temperament hadn't changed, but despite this, I stripped off a couple of layers (keeping just enough clothing on to keep the wobbly bits in check) and started with a few strides.

Goal: 12 x 400m in 75 seconds, with 400m easy jog
    Actual: 73/73/74/74/74/74/74/74/74/74/75/74

The reps went fine; possibly a little easier than last week's session, as I reckon I may be slightly healthier (small improvement in chest infection) and the wind was a little calmer. The 3 mile run back to work was a lot easier too, so I'm not sure if my body is adapting to doing these workouts, or else I just ran a lot slower!
    Summary: 12.18 miles in 1:24, @6:56/mile

Yesterday: 6.5 miles easy
    A whopper of an afternoon meeting (6+ hours) left little time for training, so it was late in the evening by the time I got to strap on the shoes. My mind chose a specific route, but my heart didn't agree and led me in a different direction, up around Killiney Hill. All hopes of sea views or view of Dublin City lit-up like a christmas tree were dash by the increasingly thick fog, as I gained elevation. Still, a nice run and no better way to wash-off the grime of an extra long meeting.
    Summary: 6.71 miles in 51.47 mins, @7:43

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

As Jack White tips his hat to his favorite artists, I tip my hat to you for your ability climb.

Today: JD 5k-15K Session: 15min/10min/5min @Tempo

Another low-mojo day, but hell, as long as I keep ticking off the training sessions, I'm happy enough. Had a bit of a headache and felt a bit wrecked before setting off (only two beers last night!), so I threw an emergency gel into the system before leaving, as I reckoned the sugar might be needed. Once more down to the cinder track (I'm certainly making use of the local amenities!), before a quick stretch and ready for the off.

I had printed out 200m and 400m splits for my target pace (5:50/mile), which was great, as it kept my mind occupied during the endless loops of the cinder track, however, with the wind blurring my eyes (ok, and some shortsightedness!) I struggled to read the splits on paper (which also served as a good distraction), so next time, I'll need to bring my reading glasses or print the splits in a larger font. Yes, I know, I could do the math on the trot, but adding 0:43 to 5:48 at tempo pace, while focusing on avoiding large pools of water is like trying cross a rope bridge while someone shoots golden cannonballs at you at speed (man, I miss that show!).

Not much point in showing the splits, as they were based on time and loops of the track, but suffice to say, I completed:
    15 mins @5:50/mile w/ 3 mins easy
    10 mins @5:50/mile w/ 2 mins easy
    05 mins @5:50/mile
    The three mile run back up the hill? Neither hard nor easy. Maybe heasy. Or nard.

Summary: ~12.37 miles, in 1:21:10, @~6:30/mile

Dory Dory wrote: »
    As Jack White tips his hat to his favorite artists, I tip my hat to you for your ability climb.
    100m? Sure that's hardly climbing; that's a leg stretcher! Now, where you live, them's proper hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Modesty becomes you. ;)

This morning: Pre-cataclysm 6 mile recovery run

Worried about the up-coming end of the world and it's affect on my running streak, I was wide awake at 6:30am, so got the gear on and headed for a stiff and arthritic 6 miles around Bray as the sun exploded rose. As the sun lifted, so did the stiffness so by the end of the run, I was feeling a little more normal. All for nothing. Stupid apocalypse.

Summary: 6 miles in 46 mins, @7:41/mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How long is your current streak?

Umm.. Not so sure... I took three days off after Dublin marathon, so ever since then. I've had 12 non-running days this year, mostly from taking three days off after each of the three marathons and a couple of days off after hurting my back. Not that I'm trying to work up a killer streak. I just got into the habit of running every day and feel better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

That's twice ecoli has been beaten into second by geriatrics, both of whom are miserable feckers in real life. It's tears again this Xmas for the lad, I hope you're proud of yourself.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    That's twice ecoli has been beaten into second by geriatrics, both of whom are miserable feckers in real life. It's tears again this Xmas for the lad, I hope you're proud of yourself.
    I know. It's shameful. I feel horrid. If he just expanded a little on his exploits from his trips to Vegas, he'd be looking down the face of one of these shiny gongs, right now. As for me, I know I'm going to have to spice things up a little bit next year to retain viewing figures. I'm torn between an EPO experiment and doing all of my training in women's clothing. Decisions, decisions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done on hitting the two tougher sessions on the plan this week when not feeling 100%.

Saturday 22nd: 7 mile hilly run
    Once again, into the hills in Killiney, but this time justly rewarded for my climb, by the spectacular night-time spark dotted landscape. A much needed hangover cleanser.
    Summary: 7.31 miles in 56 mins, @7:43/mile

Sunday 23rd December: JD 5k-15k: 2min/1min/30 seconds intervals
    Found this session really tough the first time I did it, and this occasion was little different, but great to get it done amongst all of the christmas get togethers and boozing.
    Session: 7 x reps of 2min, 1 min, 30 seconds at 5:20/mile, (to total 25 mins at interval pace), with 1 min, 30 second, 30 second recovery. Difficult to establish what pace I was running at, as the time based intervals didn't line up nicely with the few markings on the cinder track. Will have to think of different ways to do this session, other than 'faster than tempo pace' but 'slower than reps pace'.
    Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:26:58, @~6.38/mile

Monday 24th December:
    Handy backpack run to the supermarket to pick up the last few bits and bobs for the christmas dinner and break in a new pair of runners. Followed up with a 40 second dip in the 40-foot. As always, feckin freezin. Post swim evidence (photos) highlighted that we just missed Mr Marthastew, who was pursuing equally masochistic endeavours. On a happy note, it turns out I'm no longer 40. It was all just some kind of bad dream sequence. 41 beckons.
    Summary: 7.28 miles in 50 mins, @7:00/mile

25th December: 5.55 mile Family hill race

Tradition for the last couple of years is to get out for a bit of fresh air on xmas day, so the family drives up to Carrigologan car-park and hikes up to the top of the hill, while I run up the trails and try to beat them to the top (Top Gear style). Unfortunately my climbing skills were no match for the Toyota Prius, so they beat me to the top, by a couple of minutes. Still, the downhill is where it really counts, and from past experience, it takes just 19 minutes to get back down, even in the current sloppy conditions, making it a far more even fight. I arrived back home and there was no sign of the car. Had my shower. No sign of the car. Turned on the oven for the goose and started peeling potatoes. No car. Eldest child had of course taken a wrong turn coming down off the trails at the top, so had to go rescue him on the motorcycle, before bringing him back to the car-park. Score 2-0 for the runner.
    Summary: 5.5 hilly miles in 43 mins (20 seconds faster than last year), @7:49/mile

26th December: 11 mile hill run
    Had hoped to make the Streets of Wicklow 5k race, and despite waking at 8am, I just didn't feel in racing form, so regrettably I headed for the hills instead, in order to work off some of the goose and turkey pounds. Enjoyable run in lousy weather conditions. Always good to hit the hills after a long absence.
    Summary: 11 miles in 1:22, @7:28/mile

27 December: 12 mile easy run

Legs a little sensitive after yesterday's hills, head a little sensitive after yesterday's pints (in the best little pub in the world), so I headed out for an easy loop around the *cough* city of Roscommon. Lovely run, taking in some of the trails around Moate Park and retracing part of the Roscommon 10k route, before taking in the Castle and a few other landmarks.
    Summary: 12 miles in 1:27, @7:18/mile

Today: 10 miles steady
    Had high hopes of fitting in another Jack Daniels (non-bourbon) session today, but finding somewhere suitable would present a significant challenge. While Roscommon doesn't really have any hills, it doesn't have very many flat roads either. I eventually found a suitable spot, but I'd already covered close on 5 easy miles and the wind was blowing a gale. I managed one of the 200m reps, and was working on the second, when I had to give up. Running into that wind, getting under 6 minute mile was an extreme challenge. Getting under 5 minute mile? Not a chance, so there's no way I could have done the 800m reps any justice. Will chalk this week down to a holiday of easy mileage and get back on the plan next week. At least the mileage has been decent, and offers some counter-balance to the ate'ing and the drink'in.
    Summary: 10 miles in 69 mins, @6:59/mile

• Advertisement

Yesterday: 9 mile'ish hill run

Lovely run with the triathletes (and visiting non-swimmers) from Glenmalure up to Kelly's Lough, which at this time of year, looks a little like this, but after peeling off some clothes and gingerly stepping in, feels a little more like this. The heart-stopping cold is a little like being stabbed by a couple of thousand needles (that's 1,000 more needles than jumping into the 40 foot), but the real cold settles in when you get out of the water and try to put on some dry clothes. I soon lost feeling in my fingers and feet, which made managing shoe-laces and gloves very tricky. Sadly we had to make the wise choice not to push onwards to the top of lug, but with the cloud rolling in, there were visions of mountain rescue helicopters, so instead, we headed back down the mountains, picking up the pace as we got closer to the finish. After a brief visit to Dwyers Rock we settled into the pub for an evening of pints, demonstrating that while we runners can't organize a piss-up in a brewery, we are happy to attend one, when it is kindly laid on for us by our triathlon buddies.

Summary: 8.9 miles in 90 mins (may include some paddling!).

Advertisement