Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dory Dory wrote: »
    One more question - I've only set up a workout on my watch one time, and I did it by going to:

Training to Workouts to Custom......then I input all my info/data. It's a bit cumbersome, so I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way to do this. Thanks again!!
    I have never done it on the watch. Way too cumbersome.
    In Garmin Connect, go to: [Plan] [Workouts] [New Workout]
    In Garmin Training Centre, go to the [Workouts] tab, [Edit] [New Workouts].

Personally, I use Garmin Training Centre, but it's a really old cumbersome windows application, so unless you're as 'IT' old as me, you'll likely find Garmin Connect easier to use. It may or may not replace all of your older workouts when you upload it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh, so the computer then updates the watch with the workout!?? Makes sense. The one time i did it on the watch it was a royal pain in the arse!! Thank you very much!

Oh, so the computer then updates the watch with the workout!?? Makes sense. The one time i did it on the watch it was a royal pain in the arse!! Thank you very much!
    Take a look at this Youtube video. They take you through the process of creating a workout in Garmin Connect and then upload it to a Forerunner 610. Might help. Any questions, then ask away!

Today: The 3,000th mile

I knew an 8 or 9 mile run would take me over the 3,000 mile mark, so I set off on an indulgent easy run, taking in some nice trails, stopping for 20 minutes to watch the young lad playing footie, before heading up 'the metals' by the cliffs in the quarry, to Killiney Hill. Just as I hit the highest point in Killiney, I passed the 3,000 mile barrier, while my ears were treated to a spectacle, in the form of Pink Floyd's 'Any Colour you Like' from their Dark Side of the Moon album. I stopped for a minute, to enjoy the view and the moment, before the easy down-hill trot home.

Summary: 3,000 miles in 370 hours, @7:24/mile, Calories: 327,729,

1,063 elevation gain in 11.47 miles at an average indulgent easy pace of 7.24 min/mile??? :eek:

• Advertisement

1,063 elevation gain in 11.47 miles at an average indulgent easy pace of 7.24 min/mile??? :eek:
    7:24/mile is for the 3,000 miles, not for the 11.47 miles, which was a nonchalant 7:48/mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Calories: 327,729,

That's where those 1,639 beers went ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's where those 1,639 beers went ;)
    Worth every step!

But the elevation gain for those 11 miles at that cough, cough nonchalant pace is correct??? I'm focused on the elevation gain again. :o

Edit: you corrected it...But 814 feet is still way impressive. You da man!

Take a look at this Youtube video. They take you through the process of creating a workout in Garmin Connect and then upload it to a Forerunner 610. Might help. Any questions, then ask away!

Didn't even need your Youtube video - it was a piece of cake!!! Thanks. I have my very first Fartlek to do on Wednesday, and this will make my life so much easier. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

krusty, see your following the daniels 5 -15km schedule, is this for 10km or a 10 mile race? I'm hoping to start in a few weeks time myself, wondering how it would work out for ballycotton. realise it covers up to 15km which is just under the 10 miles.
    best of luck with the plan.

Didn't even need your Youtube video - it was a piece of cake!!! Thanks. I have my very first Fartlek to do on Wednesday, and this will make my life so much easier. :D
    For fartleks, you shouldn't really need to create a workout, as they are by their very nature unstructured, but perhaps your coach has applied some structure to them (in which case they should really be called intervals :)).
    jfh wrote:
    krusty, see your following the daniels 5 -15km schedule, is this for 10km or a 10 mile race? I'm hoping to start in a few weeks time myself, wondering how it would work out for ballycotton. realise it covers up to 15km which is just under the 10 miles.
    best of luck with the plan.
    Hi jfh, it's more of a pre-cursor to a marathon plan for me. I haven't looked at a calendar yet, but I wouldn't imagine I'll get around to completing the plan. Instead, at some point I'll switch over to the marathon plan. I'm essentially using it to try to build some speed, before London 2013 training kicks in. Along the way though I have a few XC races and hope to run some 10 mile races too (Dungarvan and Ballycotton). I wouldn't be an expert on Daniels plans, but there seems to be a lot of content there that would lend itself well to a 10 mile goal (for example, the 40-45 mins @tempo (which would be at around marathon (M) pace, or 3-5 x (2 miles @tempo with 2 mins rest) which would be close to 10 mile pace and would make for an epic 10 mile training run. As Tunguska suggested in a different conversation, it might be worthwhile supplementing the two-session-weeks with a long run, but you'll be hard-pushed to get a long run done during a three-session-week. Oh and access to a track would really help. A lot of the sessions are really geared at track-running. Oh and it's hard.... Real hard!

Yesterday: 7 mile easy/hilly run
    Hmm.. Went a little further and tougher than I had hoped, but it wasn't my fault. Really.. I found a short-cut through Sandyford Hall that took me through Aiken's Village and seeing as I had arrived at Enniskerry Road by such a short route it was only logical that I explore the suggested route up the trail to Barnacullia. And when you start exploring short-cuts and trails, you can't reasonably turn back until you have at least reached a dead-end. But instead of a dead-end, I arrived at a T-Junction and given the choice between the downhill or the uphill branch, well... The views are always better from the uphill branch. Eventually I had to call it a day on the exploring, and headed down the steep jarring descent back to Stepaside Village and onward back to work.

The trail up to Barnacullia was incredible. You could feel the sloppy mud underfoot, but it was all hidden by a heavy blanket of leaves, so you were left with the feeling that you were running in an oval tunnel constructed entirely of leaves. Looking forward to extending the trip further up to Three Rock, but for that run, I think I'll bring my trail shoes.
    Summary: 7 miles, in 55 mins, @7:54/mile

Today: JD 5k-15k: 10-12 x (400m Reps with 400m easy jog).

Living in this country, you get used to the occasional curve-ball in training, where the weather is determined to make a session as challenging as possible. Sometimes you run into a wall of wind, and any hopes of achieving your training paces are all but impossible. At other times, the wind is in your favour and you haven't a hope of achieving your planned effort levels. Today, I had to choose between the two. I had planned on running the 400m reps on the cycle path outside of my office, but when I realized that the choices lay between reps uphill and into the wind, or downhill with the wind behind me, one of which would have proved too difficult and the other too easy. I determined instead to head back to last week's reps hunting ground, where the walls surrounding the M50 should have provided some level of shelter for the wind. Should have...

Arriving there, I realized the wind was just as strong. Reading sections from Jack Daniels book last night (unfortunately not the section that deals with wind), it described the goal of the reps as 'improvement in form, with complete recovery between reps', so on the basis that the purpose of the reps was developing running form rather than the cardio benefits, I decided that I would get more out of the session by running with the wind, rather than against it, even if it meant that effort levels were reduced. At least here, alongside the m50, the road was flat.

The reps went fine. With the wind behind me, I generally ran them 2 - 3 seconds faster than the 75 second goal, but I kept my focus on form, and was able to experiment a little, with shortening and lengthening my stride (pity my HRM doesn't have a battery, as it would be good to analyze the different effort levels based on stride length). Recoveries were into the wind, which compensated a little for the reduced effort levels of the reps and I launched from one, straight into the next with no breaks. Despite all that (and doing an extra two reps) it still felt a little like cheating. That being said, it was probably a better work-out than if I had worked into the wind, which would likely have been a dismal failure.

Summary: 10.5 miles in 71 mins, @6:47/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just as I hit the highest point in Killiney, I passed the 3,000 mile barrier, while my ears were treated to a spectacle, in the form of Pink Floyd's 'Any Colour you Like' from their Dark Side of the Moon album. I stopped for a minute, to enjoy the view and the moment, before the easy down-hill trot home.
    Its all about the Floyd. Although I dont know how you can listen to dark side of the moon while you're running. Makes me wanna lie down and smoke a doobie......

tunguska wrote: »
    Its all about the Floyd. Although I dont know how you can listen to dark side of the moon while you're running. Makes me wanna lie down and smoke a doobie......
    Maybe I did?!

Today: bike/bike/run
    Thanksgiving in the US is supposed to provide a much-needed break from long working hours, as colleagues and clients alike settle down for a few days of Turkey and candied yams. But today was just another horror-show in a long line of long working days. After a skipped lunch and a wet miserable cycle home, a very easy 5 miles was all the enthusiasm I could muster, but hopefully between the cycling and easy run, it'll provide the rest/recovery needed for my next session.

Summary: 11 miles cycling / 5 mile lazy run

I am thankful on this eve of Thanksgiving that I have a super nice Clown to ask Garmin questions. :D For some mysterious reason, my Garmin display settings (the dislay that displays on the watch while I am running) have all gone askew. :confused: My question to you is....I want to track my current/live average pace for each one mile lap....so, I know I go to Training Pages then I can customize up to 4 displays, and I know how to do that, but which pace option do I want? Pace, Pace-Average, or Pace-Lap? Again, I just want to display the pace that, if I finished that particular mile right then and there, would be my actual average pace for that mile. Thanks! Perhaps trial and error is what I need to do (I've already tired to google this!), but...you know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I am thankful on this eve of Thanksgiving that I have a super nice Clown to ask Garmin questions. :D For some mysterious reason, my Garmin display settings (the dislay that displays on the watch while I am running) have all gone askew. :confused: My question to you is....I want to track my current/live average pace for each one mile lap....so, I know I go to Training Pages then I can customize up to 4 displays, and I know how to do that, but which pace option do I want? Pace, Pace-Average, or Pace-Lap? Again, I just want to display the pace that, if I finished that particular mile right then and there, would be my actual average pace for that mile. Thanks! Perhaps trial and error is what I need to do (I've already tired to google this!), but...you know....

Pace-Lap shows you the pace of your current lap and will reset each time you start a new lap.

Pace-Average is your average pace over the entire workout.

Pace is just your current pace but tends to jump up and down all over the place. Pace-Lap is a much better guage of how you are getting on.

Exactly. If you create an advanced workout (like the fartlek session you were describing the other day) this will over-ride your display settings for the duration of your workout (so perhaps this is what you experienced?). The traditional data field screens are still there, you just need to select them). Also, when in advanced workout mode, your lap settings are over-ridden as well. So if you had the watch previously set up to lap at the end of each mile, instead it will lap (or logically break-up the workout), based on the duration (time/distance) of your current segment of the workout. Again, this is only for the duration of your advanced workout. Lost you yet?!

Happy thanks-giving by the way. What's on the menu for today?

• Advertisement

I am thankful for both Pistol and the Clown. :D

I did have my workout programmed in yesterday, so perhaps the overriding thing is what happened because I thought I had fixed my lap pace problem when I started that session when in fact I did not get the display I was hoping for. I honestly don't know what happened to my Garmin - all my settings suddenly went to average pace?? All of them. I loved the way my watch was configured, now I'm having to figure out how it was configured so I can re-configure it properly. Ugh!! BUT, I am learning things about the watch that I never knew before, so I'll focus on that positive.

Dinner?? Well, we are traveling to hubby's family to eat dinner with ALL of them. But it's not actually all of them, only some. 26. And they are all evangelical right wing conservatives.....whereas hubby and I are, well...um, not. Thank god Obama won the election, otherwise we may have had to call in sick today. But there will be plenty of turkey, ham, whipped sweet potatoes (I made those babies!), corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and chocolate cake. I'll be rolling home tonight. (will be taking my running gear with me in hopes I can sneak in my 6 mile run at some point)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. :)

Sounds great Dory Dory! Could you just get the meal to go though? :)
    If you're still running into problems with the watch, let me know.

Today: JD 5k-15: Week 2: 40 minute tempo session
    I had foolishly built this one up in my head, but in reality it was the easiest of the four sessions I've done to date, and it shouldn't have come as a great surprise, as I've run half-marathons substantially faster than this pace. It's easy to forget these things, in the run up to another session. Reading up on the plan last night, JD suggests flat ground and favourable weather. It's difficult to get either of those around here, but at least the wind had died down. The flat part wasn't quite so easy to sort out. Luckily the route I ended up with had almost exactly the same amount of up as down, and only really got tough as I headed up the final climb up Leopardstown Road.
    Planned pace: 6:06. Actual pace: 6:03, for 6.56 miles.

It's a nice feeling to have the two sessions done for the week. If I can find a short race on Sunday, I might have a pop, just for a bit of variety.

Summary: 10.1 miles in 65 mins, @6:30/mile

Morning: 6 mile recovery run (my arse!)

Well, the inaugural run to work had to happen at some point, so with the sun-shining and a slightly quieter day in work I decided this would be the perfect day. Man that was savage. Tougher than yesterday's tempo session. The backpack was weighed down with an external USB hard drive (offsite backup, while the IT manager is on holidays), a change of running gear for the run home, breakfast, and some work clothes. Altogether, the backpack weighed about 5-6 pounds, but on the two hill-climbs, it felt a little like dragging a small cart. So this is what running was like two years ago, when I was naturally carrying those pounds. What I thought was the shortest route turned out to be the longest. Yesterday's tempo run and some early morning stiffness in the legs didn't help. A cracking route all the same, primarily quiet country roads, with some cracking views. I'll definitely start running to work more often, but I'll have to remember to keep the backpack lighter in future. Need a nap...

Summary: 6 miles in 45 mins, @7:34/mile

Yesterday evening: 5.8 mile run home
    When I packed my running gear that morning, there was bright sunshine streaming through the curtains, so I avoided thoughts of bright reflective clothing. Heading home in the darkness, in my ninja-like outfit, I felt a little like Ethan Hunt (complete with parachute backpack), running through the leafy suburbs of South County Dublin. Unencumbered by heavy hard-drives and hills that pointed upwards, the run home was much easier and far more enjoyable. The pace (7:04/mile) reflects the easy downhill nature of the run, but between the morning uphill route and downhill run home, it averages out at around 12 miles of easy running, so a great way to notch up some aerobic miles. Shoulders are sore today from the weight, so have to keep the backpack light.
    Summary: 5.8 miles in 41 mins, @7:04/mile

Today: 5.6 mile easy/recovery run
    The day started like a time trial, as I had to shift from bed to 7 minute miles in a matter of minutes, in order to pick up the car from its place of rest last night, after a boozy late night dinner. Two miles later, collected child and dropped her to gymnastics, so the emergency was over and I was able to enjoy a more leisurely follow-up 3.6 miles, near my workplace. I found a couple of gaps in some fences, that provided a short-cut to Leopardstown race-course. So now the race-course is just an easy mile away. Not sure what I'm going to do with that piece of knowledge, it's just good to know. :)
    Summary: 5.67 miles in 42 mins, @7:25/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was up there today (kids birthday party). From the main entrance there's a centre lane in the road that's closed off at each end. Any good for your intervals?

Today: 16 mile medium long run

Family was off to Marlay Park, so I headed with them, and did two laps of the park, before heading home, via Nutgrove. First few miles were handy, but ankles/shins started to hurt after a while. I picked up a new pair of shoes yesterday (Asics Gel-Lyte 33 2) which are similar in concept to the Kinvaras (can't seem to get my hands on a pair of Kinvara 3's in a size 10 anywhere). The shoes are of the light minimalist variety with a minimal drop. I didn't get to break them in properly (unless you count spilling some homemade Szechuan curry sauce on them!). The support seems a good bit stiffer than the Kinvaras, so it doesn't make for quite a cushy ride, which I felt after the first 9 or 10 miles. So I'm a little undecided about them just yet (but needless to say, it's a little too late to return them!), so I'd better get used to them.

Summary: 16.25 miles in 1:58, @7:15/mile

Nice point to point run! And, if you need me to pick you up a pair of size 10 Kinvara 3s and send them to you let me know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Today: 16 mile medium long run

Family was off to Marlay Park, so I headed with them, and did two laps of the park, before heading home, via Nutgrove. First few miles were handy, but ankles/shins started to hurt after a while. I picked up a new pair of shoes yesterday (Asics Gel-Lyte 33 2) which are similar in concept to the Kinvaras (can't seem to get my hands on a pair of Kinvara 3's in a size 10 anywhere). The shoes are of the light minimalist variety with a minimal drop. I didn't get to break them in properly (unless you count spilling some homemade Szechuan curry sauce on them!). The support seems a good bit stiffer than the Kinvaras, so it doesn't make for quite a cushy ride, which I felt after the first 9 or 10 miles. So I'm a little undecided about them just yet (but needless to say, it's a little too late to return them!), so I'd better get used to them.

Summary: 16.25 miles in 1:58, @7:15/mile

Nice run. I was in the park at that time prob just missed you. Have you asked tw2 about the kinvaras.

I did 16 today too. I should have given you a shout

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have your tried runways? Will be there tomorrow or Wednesday if you haven't and can check or pick some up for you.

• Advertisement

Nice run. I was in the park at that time prob just missed you. Have you asked tw2 about the kinvaras.

I did 16 today too. I should have given you a shout
    I was doing a short run with the young lad, and had stopped to talk to the lady-bosses, when I saw a streak of black-ninja go by, wearing day-glow banana yellow shoes. Was that you? The gait looked familiar. Yeah, must give you a holler, next time I have a 15-18 miler and am in the area.

Advertisement