Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yesterday: 5.5 mile easy run into work and home again
    A slightly different route (easier and shorter) into work, taking care to avoid the icy spots, followed by a chilly run home in the evening. I slipped on some ice the year before last and slipped a disc in my back, so I tend to be a little over-cautious on icy days. So the run back through the park in the dark was a nervous affair. Still enjoying the occasional run-mutes and I have no noticeable neck pain from carrying the backpack this time around.
    Summary: 5.45 + 5.69 miles, @average 7:16/mile

Today: 8 mile easy run
    Took an additional easy day, before tomorrow's final session of the week (6x800m @I pace). Jogged down to the park, and ran my interpretation of what the Wicklow Senior XC route might be. The route varies between hard-dry ground and boggy sections, so the race is going to make for sore legs. I discovered that lifting my knees and increasing my cadence in the boggy sections means that I don't sink down quite as much so pass over this ground quicker (but expends a little more energy). Food for thought.
    Summary: 8.19 miles in 60 mins, @7:16/mile

Today: JD5K - 6 x 800m @I pace

After a number of tasty beers last night (the women-bosses were away, so it's kind of the male prerogative), enthusiasm for this session was at rock bottom levels. The cold and rain added to the woe. The mojo was so low, I even sat through an hour of a Christmas concert on the telly-box without changing channels, but eventually, when they started hitting 'The Snowman' for the second time, it provided incentive enough to get up off my ar$e. A 2.5 mile jog as far as the cinder track in Kilbogget and I was nicely cold and wet. Thankfully, the weather kept everyone else away, so I had lane 1 to myself (and lanes 2 - 8, in fact, the entire park was deserted). It was good to be back on the track, even if it was a cinder track, complete with slight hills and dips. The wording of the sessions is as follows:
    5 to 6 x (3 Min hard or 800, 1,000, or 1,200 I pace with 3-min recovery jogs). Stay under 8% of the week's total mileage at I pace.

I found this quite confusing (may have had something to do with the beer-induced cobwebs), but I figured perhaps a comma was missing? Maybe the session should be 3 min hard + (800, 1k or 1.2k) at I pace. The other issue I had with it was: 6x800m is only 3 miles. So it that's 8% of your weekly mileage, that would suggest that your weekly mileage might be around 37.5 miles? Strange. I decided on 6 x 800m in the end, as it's easy to figure out on the track, even if it's slightly shy of the 3 minutes. I still (stupidly) created an advanced workout on the watch, based on 1/2 mile targets and it really didn't work out. According to the watch, each interval finished around 70m before I completed the second lap, so both the times and paces are completely off. I kept running to complete the second lap, and counted the seconds it took to completed the lap (generally around 7-9 seconds).

So the approximate numbers went something like this:
    800m target time: 2:40
    Actual (possible) 800m times: 2:37 / 2:34 / 2:36 / 2:35 / 2:34 / 2:34

I'm surprised to say that they all felt pretty comfortable, with the exception of the final interval. I was nearly done, when I started to feel a little dizzy and nauseous. Not sure why, as the intervals weren't too bad. Perhaps the chest infection raising its head. An easy 2.5 miles home completed the session. And the True Grit? Mostly washed off in the shower, with a bit of scrubbing.
    Summary: ~10.3 miles in ~1:13, @~7:03/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I read that as
    5/6 intervals at I pace
    If you're working off time - 3 minute intervals
    If you're working off distance - 800/1000/1200 intervals, depending on how fast you are
    At your speed, and since you had the track, I'd have done 1000m intervals. That would have been closer to 3 minutes.

RayCun wrote: »
    I read that as
    5/6 intervals at I pace
    If you're working off time - 3 minute intervals
    If you're working off distance - 800/1000/1200 intervals, depending on how fast you are
    At your speed, and since you had the track, I'd have done 1000m intervals. That would have been closer to 3 minutes.
    Yeah, that's the conclusion I arrived at. The track has no markings though, so the only distances you can faithfully establish are multiples of 400. The Garmin was about as useful as a sun-dial for this session. I suppose I could have run two laps, and then just run 'another bit', but there's something neat and tidy about doing 800s. I checked out that middle lane of the entrance to the race-course by the way. It's pretty flat (just a couple of speed-bumps), and just the one road crossing, but it's just about 400m long, and I reckon you'd have the security guys kicking you out after 2 or 3 reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ah they'd never catch you :)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    ah they'd never catch you :)
    What if they were on horseback? :eek:

Yesterday: 6 miles + 5 miles easy/recovery
    Very easy 6 mile run with Keith123, around a decent loop, that largely avoided the main roads. Managed to get out of work at a reasonably normal hour, so followed up with a further easy/recovery 5 miles, in the park with the head-torch. Nice to get back out under a starry sky, for the first time on a while.
    Summary: 6 miles + 5 miles @7:42

Today: JD5k - 4 x (200, 200, 800)
    Really should have had another easy day between track sessions (I can call them that, as I did them on a track :cool:), but with a mini-race on Thursday and a hectic weekend, opportunities for tough sessions are thin on the ground. Given the bracing wind, I decided I'd be best off heading to the cinder track in Kilbogget, but from work, it's around a 3 mile run (and a 6 mile round-trip) which is a bit rough, when you throw in the track work. On the way down (sadly it's largely downhill) I felt some pain in my heel, which sent alarm bells ringing about a bit of plantar, but after a mile or so, I forgot about it, so it must have been a temporary glitch. No advanced workout on the watch this time, just a lap button to keep the splits.

4 x (200, 200, 800), with (200, 400, 400 recovery). Again, seems like an unusual arrangement (wondering if there could be a typo, and the second rep should perhaps be a 400?) but given the proximity to the last session, I was glad they were 200s building up to the 800s. I found the 200s fine. The challenge was, as always, trying to hit the right pace. The watch was feck all use for the shorter reps, but worked out great on the 800s. I found some 200m markers on the kerb surrounding the cinder track, so was able to check my splits against these markers and did the sums as I worked my way around the track.
    Targets: 37, 37, 2:30.
    Actual:
    1: 34, 36, 2:31
    2: 37, 38, 2:31
    3: 37, 37, 2:31
    4: 37, 37, 2:31
    (Jaysus, that's consistency!). Not too worried about the errant second, as it was all hand-timed starts and finishes, so they were there or thereabouts. As per Sunday, the last rep was a killer. Half way around, I was mashed, and struggled to lift the legs. The brain had given up too, so I can only imagine it was a build-up of lactic acid. On the final bend I recovered just enough to push forward and finish the rep in the same time. It was a real challenge, but nothing compared to the three mile uphill run back to work against the clock (had a meeting 25 minutes later). It was cruel, cruel torture and one that will make me think twice about hitting the track for another lunch-time session. But it does make the session so much easier and more respectable, without any wind advantages.

Summary: ~11.63 miles in ~1:20, @~6:49

Wednesday: 5.25 mile recovery run
    Easiest of runs with Keith123 around Cabinteely Park, though the hills don't make for the easiest of recoveries. Still, gotta get used to hills, as the alternative is crazy boring laps around the football pitch across the road (which appeals about as much as the treadmill).
    Summary: 5.25 miles in 45 mins, @7:58/mile

Thursday: Club 5k handicap race
    The wind and rain were battering the windows in work, so secretly, I was hoping that no-one would show up :o. Got a lift to the car-park, and lo and behold, no-one about! Unfortunately as it got closer to race time, some runners finally started to show up, so nothing for it but to leave the cozy comfort of the car and head into the blast. An easy 2 mile warm-up with beepbeep and a couple of other club runners, and then back to the start, where we met up with Abhainn who was just back from injury and on the road to recovery.

The format for the race was that as you registered, you would provide a recent 5k time, or predict your current 5k form and this was used to determine when you started the race, with the slower runners heading off first, and faster runners at the back. Of course, I completely overlooked the registering/prediction process, so got thrown in with the 16:30 lads who were last to go. Both of them were low 56 minute 10 mile runners, so I had visions of crawling back to the finish, to find that everyone had packed up and gone home, but actually it worked out quite well.

The initial climb into the wind was tough, but it was over before we really had an opportunity to suffer, and then it was onto the downhill, with the wind behind us and I settled into third place in the group. If I was chasing a PB, I really should have been pushing on a bit faster on this section of the course, but it was dark and difficult to see where you were running, and chasing two faster runners, taking the lead seemed like a bad tactic. Lots of buses and soggy grass paths and other obstacles to avoid (including a number of cars emerging from side-streets). It was just as well we headed off in a group, as I'm pretty sure I would've missed the turn onto Boghall Road and ended up doing a 10k loop. One of the lads had opened up a gap and I was determined not to lose touch touch, so got within ~15m of him, as we rounded the corner on Southern Cross Road, back into the headwind. Suffered a little here, but just kept plugging away knowing that the finish line was just 6 minutes away and started to pass a few of the earlier starters. Crossed the finish line 10 seconds behind the fastest runner, in a time of 17:11, feeling a little jaded, but otherwise ok. Then the chest infection caught up on me, and I proceeded to cough up a couple of lungs, but thankfully, it hadn't hampered me during the race.

So no PB, but I wasn't far off it (13 seconds), so given a daylight race with decent conditions (flatter/less wind and rain/some more runners), I reckon I can shave some time off the PB. Another few weeks of 5k-15k training will hopefully see some further speed gains. I felt strong throughout the race, but wasn't mentally committed to give it 100% given the conditions, but there'll be more opportunities.

Did another loop of the course as a warm-down with wrstan, bb, Abhainn and finn, before stopping back in the club-house for some welcome tea, cakes and chatter, before throwing on the backpack and running the 3.85 miles home. All in all, just shy of 13 miles and a decent 5k run. Not a bad innings for a pretty miserable Thursday evening.
    Race: 5k in 17:11, @5:33/mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tell me you've tried one of these :D
    http://www.clownshoesbeer.com/

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Tell me you've tried one of these :D
    http://www.clownshoesbeer.com/
    Classic! Pity I didn't know about these beers when I was in Massachusetts earlier this year! They seem to rate pretty well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^^ Hoppy Feet. :D

Friday: Easy 6 mile recovery run
    Happy to take it easy after Thursday's 5k handicap race, so found a nice loop with Keith123, that has a sharp down-hill, and then a nice gradual four mile climb back up to where you started from. Would make for a decent tempo loop, but for a few roads that you need to cross (and shiny Range Rovers in leafy Foxrock that threaten to mow you down). Stopped off in Subway for a foot-long Turkey and Ham sub, which I reckon exactly cancelled the number of calories expended during the run. so I could have just stayed in work and had a glass of water for lunch.
    Summary: 6.66 :eek: miles, in 50:37, @7:36/mile

Saturday: 10 Mile easy run in Kilkenny
    Down to Kilkenny for a college reunion/Christmas party (translates as: lots of booze), but got down early enough for an easy run to work off some of the beer and wine calories. I don't really know Kilkenny too well, but headed into the city and found a nice trail down by the river (<insert name of river here!>), before doubling back and doing a nice loop around the grounds of the castle. Bloody cold, but after a brief swim and sauna, set me up nicely for an evening of booze.
    Summary: 10 miles in 73 mins, @7:16/mile

Sunday: 6 mile recovery run
    Having done some damage the previous night, I guiltily checked the Garmin calendar, to see if I had done enough miles to take a day off. Alas, 56 miles for the week did not cut the mustard, so with massive reluctance and hours of hesitation, I set off to run four miles.... and proceeded to run six, because once you're out there, the running is easy. I was going to say that the hardest part was putting on the running gear and getting out the door, but that would be a lie. Te hardest part was running up Putland Road hill, with a hangover strapped to my back. Thankfully, the painful climb was broken momentarily by a jolly drunk, who gave me an invaluable piece of advice. "Watch your knees" he shouted, as he fumbled with the latch on his front gate. "Watch your weight" was going to be my sage advice in return, but being christmas, and having a hangover that demanded the minimum amount of hassle, I just thanked him and continued the climb. Nice running around the deserted streets in Bray, admiring the Christmas trees and decorations among the Georgian houses. Finished feeling a little self-proud that I had managed 6 miles in my fragile state, to bring the week to a respectable 62 miles.
    Summary: 6 miles in 46 mins, @7:34/mile

Monday: 7 Mile easy/steady run
    Really should have been doing a session, but a crazy work day, and residues of a two day hangover (it's an age thing) meant that I felt pretty awful all day, so the 400m reps just wouldn't have been possible. Instead a bit of a punishment run at 9pm, as I headed to the top of Killiney Hill Road, before looping back by Loughlinstown, tucking into a few faster miles as the legs felt good after a couple of days of easy running.
    Summary: 7 miles in 50 mins, @7:09/mile

Tuesday: JD 5k-15k - week 5 - 12 x 400m Reps
    Chest infection is ever present. Mild enough to allow me to run and do a session, but catching up with me as soon as the run is completed. Having forgotten the woes from the previous week's cinder track session, I headed the three miles from work once more, but this time didn't have the track to myself. A young lady, complete with two yappy toy dogs, was jogging laps of the track, while the dogs sniffed around the track. Thankfully, apart from having to run around her on one rep, we didn't interfere with each other for the entire session.
    400m Target: 75 seconds with 400m easy jog
    400m actual: 74/75/74/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/74

These were progressively tough, as I reckon my breathing was a little hampered by current chest issues, but I got them done and that's all that matters. When doing so many laps of the track (24) you really start to notice the slight down-hill on the first bend, and more importantly the slight uphill on the second bend. So much so, that I'd pass the 200 mark in around 36 seconds and then lose a second on the second half of the track. It's not the two meters that you can see in the elevation graph, but just enough that you start to build-up a dislike for the second bend of the track. Next time, I might start with the uphill bend first! Once again, the uphill climb back to work was crippling. Having comfortably run the same route this morning with a 6lb bag on my back, I can only think that it is because my post-track system is flooded with lactic acid. Part of me thinks that as painful as this three mile warm-down run is, it's probably good mental training, as overcoming the desire to stop and walk up the hill may prove useful at some point in the future.

Summary: 12.31 miles in 1:22, @6:41/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Hey Man, this is probably in total breach of the charter, but take care of that chest! A few days preventative rest may end up looking like very little sacrifice in comparison to some prolongued, anti biotic ridden downtime!
    You might even find a mitochondrial growth spurt!
    Take it EZ!

wrstan wrote: »
    Hey Man, this is probably in total breach of the charter, but take care of that chest! A few days preventative rest may end up looking like very little sacrifice in comparison to some prolongued, anti biotic ridden downtime!
    You might even find a mitochondrial growth spurt!
    Take it EZ!
    Absolutely. Once this week (and the senior XC) is done, I'll focus on improving health. But until then.....
    I don't think it's in breach of the charter to tell someone not to run!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Absolutely. Once this week (and the senior XC) is done, I'll focus on improving health. But until then.....
    I don't think it's in breach of the charter to tell someone not to run!

Hi Krusty, have you ever tried Santa butts beer in obriens off license? Saw it on sat but no one knew anything about it. Then thought maybe you would?

Hi Krusty, have you ever tried Santa butts beer in obriens off license? Saw it on sat but no one knew anything about it. Then thought maybe you would?
    At this time of year, lots of the brewers try to cash in on the minority beer market and release their 'christmas specials', usually describes with terms like 'warmth', 'pine', 'scented', 'cinnamon', 'rudolph', 'elf', 'spices', chestnuts', 'open fire', etc. Most of them are just their more traditional beers with a little spice added, and can safely be avoided. The proper christmas beers are generally a lot stronger in alcohol (8%+) and as such, are usually substantially sweeter. One of my favourites is Samichlaus. At 14% you'll probably only be having one of them, but because it's also incredibly sweet and syrupy, one is all you will need. You can usually find it in a good off-license for around €4-€7. St Bernardus Christmas Ale is supposed to be one of the kings of Christmas beers, but I have not had the pleasure. It's €10, from drinkstore.ie, but in wine-bottle proportions (750ml) and near wine-strength (10.5%), it's not as bad value as it first appears, particularly when you consider that it's among the best of beers. Nøgne Ø God Jul is a very good beer from a Norwegian brewer that I enjoyed before (though not at christmas), but at around €7, is not quite as good value. A cheaper option would be Brew Dog's Hoppy Christmas, which at €3.60 (330ml @7.2%) will give you a really hoppy beer, with some pleasant spicing (but honestly, not very christmas-like).

As for your Santa's butt? I haven't tried it, but it doesn't rate very highly (if you care about such things), so if you're going to buy an average beer, might as well try and buy Irish products.

Irish christmas beers include:
    White Gypsy - Yule Ol - 500ml @6% - €3.20
    Dungarvan Brewing Company's Coffee and Oatmeal stout - 500ml @4.3% - €2.60
    8 Degrees Brewing - A winter's Ale - 330ml @7.5% - €2.50
    While the stout doesn't really tick the christmas checklist, it's a seasonal christmas beer, that might make a pleasant change. The best of the Irish, is probably the 8 Degrees Winter's Ale. I haven't tried it yet, but there's a bottle of it sitting in the box beside me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

400m Target: 75 seconds with 400m easy jog,400m actual: 74/75/74/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/74

I see your still banging out the tough sessions....good stuff.
    Quick one for you,i'm going over to do Boston in April and have read a reviews of the route,do you have any material from your time over there...i.e route,hills,etc.....would you alter your training for this marathon due to the hills from15-24 or regular training?
    Any info appreciated...thanks

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    I see your still banging out the tough sessions....good stuff.
    Quick one for you,i'm going over to do Boston in April and have read a reviews of the route,do you have any material from your time over there...i.e route,hills,etc.....would you alter your training for this marathon due to the hills from15-24 or regular training?
    Any info appreciated...thanks
    Good to hear you're still alive! Yeah, in hind-sight, I'd alter my training more than I did, to suit the profile of the course. Perhaps it was just the heat on the day, but those hills felt massive (and I run plenty of hills). Perhaps on a cool day, with the wind behind you, you wouldn't notice the hills at all. The problem with the course is that it's: easy, easy, easy, very easy, tough, tough, toughest, easy, easy. This isn't the typical progression for a marathon, where you expect it to gradually get tougher from start to finish.

So how would I have altered my training? Probably would have adapted my long runs, to do 10 miles easy, followed by 10 miles @PMP. Or perhaps something borrowed from the Daniels book (Plan A): 40 mins easy + 20 minutes @ tempo, followed by another 40 minutes easy + 20 minutes @Tempo. In fact, if you look at the Daniels Elite plan, it's full of sessions, where you simulate tough sections later in your workout, so there's some value to pinching some workouts from that plan.

As regards to resources, not that many that are very useful, apart from the elevation profiles (here's mine). I had a great book (kindly lent to me by MarthaStew) called 26 miles to Boston, which is more of a historic and geographic reference, but a very entertaining read and will set up a good mental picture of the race. I also put together a pace band, based on the profile of the hills. Not sure where I got that info from, but it may have been here.

Today: 4 x 1 Mile @ Tempo

A bit of a disastrous session. I skipped the normal Daniels 5k program, as the session for this week would likely have had an impact on Sunday's XC race (and as it turns out, it might have killed me!), so instead decided to do something a little more specific to the race, and set off to run 6 x 1 miles at tempo pace with 1 minute rest. I made the poor choice of heading to Brighton Road to do the intervals, with the plan of doubling back after 1/2 a mile, but the location was a disaster. Lots of overhead trees hampered the GPS accuracy, so despite the fact that I felt like I was running 5 minute mile on the first rep, the watch was showing 6:15. I stupidly hammered myself to get the average pace down to where it should be, and I reckon I was running close to the pace of Tuesday's 800m reps. The effort required in the first interval ruined all of the other reps, so by the time I hit the fourth, twinned with my current ailments, I was f00ked. The route was littered with drive-ways that dropped and rose, making maintaining a steady pace extremely difficult and I had to stop for cars or run around them on a number of occasions. Pain in the whole scheme of things.

I figured doing any additional reps was going to do more bad then good, so I abandoned the remaining two reps and headed back to work. I reckon an easy run with strides would have been a better outcome. Not all training sessions can be perfect, but still disappointing. Back to the race-course for me.
    Summary: 7.88 miles in some time @some pace

Good to hear you're still alive! Yeah, in hind-sight, I'd alter my training more than I did, to suit the profile of the course. Perhaps it was just the heat on the day, but those hills felt massive (and I run plenty of hills). Perhaps on a cool day, with the wind behind you, you wouldn't notice the hills at all. The problem with the course is that it's: easy, easy, easy, very easy, tough, tough, toughest, easy, easy. This isn't the typical progression for a marathon, where you expect it to gradually get tougher from start to finish.

So how would I have altered my training? Probably would have adapted my long runs, to do 10 miles easy, followed by 10 miles @PMP. Or perhaps something borrowed from the Daniels book (Plan A): 40 mins easy + 20 minutes @ tempo, followed by another 40 minutes easy + 20 minutes @Tempo. In fact, if you look at the Daniels Elite plan, it's full of sessions, where you simulate tough sections later in your workout, so there's some value to pinching some workouts from that plan.

As regards to resources, not that many that are very useful, apart from the elevation profiles (here's mine). I had a great book (kindly lent to me by MarthaStew) called 26 miles to Boston, which is more of a historic and geographic reference, but a very entertaining read and will set up a good mental picture of the race. I also put together a pace band, based on the profile of the hills. Not sure where I got that info from, but it may have been here.

Thanks for that Gary,your garmin link will be useful and ill have a look at the other one also.Nice to know the hotel is only a couple of blocks away from the finish line...overlooking boston common.
    Whats your marathon plan for 2013? I checked in a while back and see you ran very well in Dublin...2:42 or 43 was it...super stuff.
    I hope its not 30c this year over there !

(Pardon my intrusion....:o)

Thanks for posting the Boston thoughts - and it's funny that you linked your elevation chart as I had looked it up a month or so ago because I wanted to print it out and post it on my wall so I could study it and prepare - but I don't know how to only print the elevation, etc, so I found another elevation chart online and printed that out (it's still smaller than I'd like - if anyone knows of a large Boston elevation profile let me know) and I squint stare at it every day.

Marthastew sent me that book....enjoying it very much and would also recommend it to Sosa in prep for the big day. And the pace bands...thanks for suggesting that...something I've never done/worn, but I think it will be a must for Boston. Any other thoughts...please do share. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    (Pardon my intrusion....:o)

Thanks for posting the Boston thoughts - and it's funny that you linked your elevation chart as I had looked it up a month or so ago because I wanted to print it out and post it on my wall so I could study it and prepare - but I don't know how to only print the elevation, etc, so I found another elevation chart online and printed that out (it's still smaller than I'd like - if anyone knows of a large Boston elevation profile let me know) and I squint stare at it every day.

Marthastew sent me that book....enjoying it very much and would also recommend it to Sosa in prep for the big day. And the pace bands...thanks for suggesting that...something I've never done/worn, but I think it will be a must for Boston. Any other thoughts...please do share. :)

Another couple of links for you Dory
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/guide/mile-by-mile-guide-to-the-boston-marathon/

http://www.runtri.com/2007/05/boston-marathon-2008-what-to-expect.html

Im going to get that book....only €14 on play.com

Thanks Sosa!!! Hope to meet you in Boston - we're staying close to the finish line too!!! :)

Sosa wrote: »
    Thanks for that Gary,your garmin link will be useful and ill have a look at the other one also.Nice to know the hotel is only a couple of blocks away from the finish line...overlooking boston common.
    Whats your marathon plan for 2013? I checked in a while back and see you ran very well in Dublin...2:42 or 43 was it...super stuff.
    I hope its not 30c this year over there !
    Staying near Boston common, you're also right beside the start (or at least where the buses go from to bring you to the start). Yeah, hit 2:43 in Dublin. Was hoping to get down to 2:41, but it wasn't to be. I'll have a crack at 2:39:xx in London in April. Who knows what will happen..

Today: 5 mile recovery run
    Christmas party this evening and was wide awake at 6:30am, so got out early for an easy recovery run. The outward miles towards Bray seafront, were insane. Running into a freezing gale, I had to keep my eyes closed as the driving rain was painfully sharp. Hit the turnabout point, and the wind was like the gentle caress of an intimate lover (clearly too much sugar in my coffee this morning), pushing me back to the warmth of home. Never so glad to finish a run. Lots of people around at that hour of the morning, but no runners. Even stupididty has limits.
    Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Even stupididty has limits.
    Had to laugh, mind I actually could imagine how cold that sea wind must have been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Today: 5 mile recovery run
    Christmas party this evening and was wide awake at 6:30am, so got out early for an easy recovery run. The outward miles towards Bray seafront, were insane. Running into a freezing gale, I had to keep my eyes closed as the driving rain was painfully sharp. Hit the turnabout point, and the wind was like the gentle caress of an intimate lover (clearly too much sugar in my coffee this morning), pushing me back to the warmth of home. Never so glad to finish a run. Lots of people around at that hour of the morning, but no runners. Even stupididty has limits.

Stupid would have been diving into the cold water afterwards... brrr, can you imagine? Going for a cold freezing run in a howling gale?? And then stripping off and diving into some freezing water??? In December???? The 29th?????

Lets test those limits mr. Clown ;)

• Advertisement

Staying near Boston common, you're also right beside the start (or at least where the buses go from to bring you to the start).

That i didnt know...but a nice added bonus.

Advertisement