Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I shall have a bottle of Belgium's holy-order's finest stashed in my bag, for consumption on the steps of Merrion Square South.

I've a 6-pack of that stashed away at home, ready to be broken out at Christmas. Am expecting great things!

Mind you, a pint of Heino is going to seem like a real come-down after a start like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: Not the finest of ideas
    Plan included 30 minutes easy running plus 4 x strides, which I think is more for keeping the demons at bay, rather than for any kind of training benefit. Headed off with Keith on 4.5 mile loop and it was absolutely freezing. As we approached the half way mark, a work-buddy from years gone by, pulled up in his car and we chatted for 5-10 mins, while Keith and I cooled down. He departed just as the rain started. As the rain turned to sleet I abandoned all ideas of strides. The sleet became hail, and we were pelted. I had developed an ice-cream headache and was freezing, so the plan was just to get back to work and change out of the cold/wet clothes as quickly as possible.

My daughter is recovering from a chest-infection, so as the phlegm flowed freely during the run, my mind turned to paranoid thoughts. Soon thoughts of chest-infections were put to rest, as the larger threat of measles took its place, in the form of an e-mail from the HSE. Thankfully daughter has had the appropriate shots, so we're standing down to code yellow and thoughts of chest infections. Phew...

Summary: 4.6 miles in 34 mins, @7:20/mile

macinalli wrote: »
    I've a 6-pack of that stashed away at home, ready to be broken out at Christmas. Am expecting great things!

Mind you, a pint of Heino is going to seem like a real come-down after a start like that!
    Don't drink 'em all in one go. Apart from the fact that you'd be hammered and wouldn't remember much, you won't really taste them after the first one, so best to have them as your first beer of the day on different days. They should keep for years, so no hurry to get rid of them. They also fetch a pretty price on eBay in the US, so a handy emergency fund!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Don't drink 'em all in one go. Apart from the fact that you'd be hammered and wouldn't remember much, you won't really taste them after the first one, so best to have them as your first beer of the day on different days. They should keep for years, so no hurry to get rid of them. They also fetch a pretty price on eBay in the US, so a handy emergency fund!

Sadly they're not all for me! My brother is getting married over the Christmas and in a fit of madness generosity I volunteered these for a pre-wedding family dinner:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Plan included 30 minutes easy running plus 4 x strides, which I think is more for keeping the demons at bay, rather than for any kind of training benefit. Headed off with Keith on 4.5 mile loop and it was absolutely freezing. As we approached the half way mark, a work-buddy from years gone by, pulled up in his car and we chatted for 5-10 mins, while Keith and I cooled down. He departed just as the rain started. As the rain turned to sleet I abandoned all ideas of strides. The sleet became hail, and we were pelted. I had developed an ice-cream headache and was freezing, so the plan was just to get back to work and change out of the cold/wet clothes as quickly as possible.

My daughter is recovering from a chest-infection, so as the phlegm flowed freely during the run, my mind turned to paranoid thoughts. Soon thoughts of chest-infections were put to rest, as the larger threat of measles took its place, in the form of an e-mail from the HSE. Thankfully daughter has had the appropriate shots, so we're standing down to code yellow and thoughts of chest infections. Phew...

:eek: have you moved to a different country. Ím in Dublin and its a grand olde day!!!

I hope your daughter is ok and on the mend and maybe a break in the West for the weekend would do her good!!

Best of Luck for Monday, i hope the clock is showing numbers lower than you could imagine, ie 2.40.XX instead of 2.41 +, youve earned it!!
    Catch up with you after'wards ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

It's bloody freezing at the moment, haven't you told the running Gods you're racing in Dublin? Surely the temperature should be going up not down:)

Best of luck, your training has been amazing, a great result awaits you on Monday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Just wishing you the best of luck on Monday. The weather gods appear to have given you a break from tropical marathon racing and given you instead Baltic marathon racing conditions for Monday.

I hope to be out supporting on my bike, I'm sure you break your PB with the savage training you'd done. You deserve it, just bring it home.

macinalli wrote: »
    Sadly they're not all for me! My brother is getting married over the Christmas and in a fit of madness generosity I volunteered these for a pre-wedding family dinner:rolleyes:
    In that case, drink 'em all in one evening, refill the bottles with Heineken, and cap 'em. Don't waste the nectar on the mere mortals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck for Monday, Krusty. I look forward to another epic tale !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi KC!!! Some great training as usual 'round these parts, so good luck with the little trot on Monday. I'd definitely move that germ spreading youngin' to the shed or to your fiercest competitor's home for the next few days - can't take any chances, you know. My fingers and toes will be crossed in hopes that you get that PB that you rightly deserve. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck on Monday - you've a lot of great training and pacer's karma to cash in, and I reckon this is just the race to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

RayCun wrote: »
    Good luck on Monday - you've a lot of great training and pacer's karma to cash in, and I reckon this is just the race to do it.

As above ,Im sure you'll smash the pb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

People are going to start thinking that I have a fetish for the ladies of the night. The sad reality is that McGrattans primarily sells that foreign muck, and the only nod towards Irish drinks are Bulmers and Ballygowen. Given the choice, I'd probably go for Ballygowan. But fear not. On the off-hand chance that I manage to wrestle some hard-fought seconds from my previous marathon encounter, I shall have a bottle of Belgium's holy-order's finest stashed in my bag, for consumption on the steps of Merrion Square South.

My race bag is ready to roll. Have 2 cans of Hollands finest ;) at the ready for any sort of celebration. See you on the steps regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck on Monday KC!

All this talk of nice beer is making me sad as I passed on an invite to head to one of the local craft beer pubs with a few friends tonight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck Monday, will be out around 16mile marker so will give you a shout out - you'll only have an easy <62min 10 miler to go at that stage, no bother to you. Great training, will be interested to see how the Daniels works out (good I'm sure)

Gringo78 wrote: »
    you'll only have an easy <62min 10 miler to go at that stage, no bother to you.
    You make it sound so easy. :eek:

Today: 30 mins easy
    I'm really glad that today is not Marathon Monday, as if it were, I would have had a disastrous race. Hopped out of bed on a freezing cold morning straight into the running shoes, and headed out for 30 minutes of easy running. From the first step, I felt slow, old and arthritic, which I hope is down to the cold morning and heading straight out the door from bed. Even my 'go faster' marathon shoes couldn't muster anything more impressive than an 8 minute mile. I was just glad to hit the 30 minutes and wrap it up. Just as well I'm not easily unnerved. Followed up with some stretching and a 5 minute plank, to try and loosen up the legs.
    Summary: 3.78 miles in 30 mins, @7:59/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good luck Monday, it will all come together when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

2:3x:xx....sounds nice, doesn't it?
    ;-)

Best of luck and whatever* you end up with will be damn impressive I'm sure!!
    (*probably a tan!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

best of luck KC....ill tune in monday morning for the results, enjoy...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck on Monday Gary. No doubt you'll smash it, after your recent exploits you deserve perfect weather to give it a fair shot. It's snowing in the UK so I hope your weather curse doesn't continue or you may loose a few friends. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Best of luck on Monday Krusty. Weather will be fair and you'll get the time that you deserved in Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Like TRR, you don't need luck, just good weather.

Hope it comes together for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Good Luck on Monday Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Like a lot of people here, I'm very curious to see how all those tough, tough sounding Daniel's sessions see you on the day. My guess is very well. Have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck Krusty. Also a 5 minute plank = Wow!!

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Best of luck Krusty. Also a 5 minute plank = Wow!!
    Thanks a lot. Actually, it's not a straight plank, it's this one, where you move from one movement to the next (albeit with no rest). It's handy enough after the first few times (where it's quite tough). I find it's good for giving the calf, hammies and quads a bit of a stretch too, as you are precariously balanced on one foot and opposite arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Thanks a lot. Actually, it's not a straight plank, it's this one, where you move from one movement to the next (albeit with no rest). It's handy enough after the first few times (where it's quite tough). I find it's good for giving the calf, hammies and quads a bit of a stretch too, as you are precariously balanced on one foot and opposite arm.

Thanks for that link Krusty. I'm interested in working on my strength and body composition this winter, that one is definitely going into the routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Best of luck tomorrow Krusty - have a great race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck tomorrow Gary. Say its safe to say this is one marathon where you wont have to worry about a heat wave.

You have been going well now time to reap the rewards

Advertisement