Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well, since 2007. But it's not about longevity. It's about proximity. ;)

Did you have ancestors that went to Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Did you have ancestors that went to Australia?
    :)

Are you XC'ing this weekend? Any tips on what the route is like?

:)

Are you XC'ing this weekend? Any tips on what the route is like?

That's the plan.
    Course = up, down, sideways, gateways & ditches nice finishing straight

Last night: 5 mile recovery run
    Easy run around my fields with the head torch, stopping every 150m to mark my territory with a quick squirt, to warn-off potential beepbeeps predators. Followed up with the 5 minute plank, which I'm glad to report is getting easier and easier again, after my three month hiatus from core work.

Summary: 5.3 miles in 41 mins, @7:47/mile (not including the frequent urine stops).

Today: 6.8 mile easy road/trail run

It struck me the other day, that when I signed up for Dublin marathon almost two months ago, the plan was just to 'do it for the craic'. To try and get close to the 2:42 goal that's been hanging around my neck since the failed sun-drenched attempts in Chicago and Boston; to try out some of the sessions in the Jack Daniels book. And finally, to provide a ramp-up for my assault on London marathon next April (Good for age entry now happily confirmed).

I'm not sure at what point everything changed. I'm not even sure if it was a single thing, or a pattern of small incidents, but over the last number of weeks, Dublin marathon has become the 'A goal'. And not just an 'A goal', but rather an A++ goal. Originally, I'd have been happy with getting a little closer to 2:42, but not any longer. Every run is now targeted at that goal. Every race is a step on the path. Every meal, evaluated for its potential benefits. It's not for the craic anymore.

So today, when I got dropped off a few miles from home, it was nice to do a run that was probably counter-productive. One that wouldn't serve me well in tomorrow's XC race or subsequent long run. This one wasn't for the marathon, it was for me. Over some of the hills that have for the last few months been neglected in favour of flatter faster routes. A brief forray onto the trails that threaten to twist the ankle and over-stretch the achilles. It was brief, but it was bliss. Then it was back to business as usual, with 30 minutes of core and weights.

Summary: 6.8 miles in 54 mins, @7:55/mile

• Advertisement

Today: Wicklow Novice XC + Long run home
    Did a 2.5 mile warm-up around the course, with some of the lads freshly off the plane from their Berlin marathon experiences. Fair play to the three lads, coming out to support an XC race on a dewy Sunday morning. 7 Days after hitting my marathon goal, I'd be in bed with a hangover. As an XC course, it's a very solid one. Fantastic views across the Vartry Resevoir (must come back and run the trails) and along the valley. Three fields, side by side, each with differing levels of climbs and descents. No mud to be seen, just deep tufts of grass. I got up early this morning, and took the track spikes from the shoes, replacing them with 6mm, which were spot on for this terrain. Just myself and wrstan signed up form the club, with most of the other runners on international duty, until I spied Beepbeep warming around the perimeter. So not enough for a team, but good to have the company. The goal was just to acquit myself well and get a decent session out of it, but with so many from the club around, there was a little self-imposed pressure to try and get a good result.

Lap 1: Probably need to work on my short-race start, as 100m after the gun, I was back in around 20th place. We made our way into the second field, and as we hit the hill, I knew I had to get closer to the front of the pack, so I pushed hard on the climb and passed 5-6 runners, getting into 7th place. Took a nice tight angle on the downhill and pushed passed two runners, into 5th place. One runner ahead, with the front group of three, stretching their lead. Worked my way to the runner ahead and passed him just as we entered the third field. Pushed past him and got about 5 feet clear, when I realized I'd run on the wrong side of one of the route markers. Profanity. Didn't want to get disqualified, so turned back and ran the 15 feet back to the marker, around it and back on course (the other runner told me not to bother, so I probably should have listened). With the extra detour, I was now 30 feet behind him. I worked my way back up to him, as we hit the uphill towards the end of the first lap.

Lap 2: Just as we arrived at the start of the second lap, the other runner pulled-up. Didn't quite know how to react to that one. Three runners 150m ahead, and the guy I was chasing just disappeared. On my own, the focus was just to maintain the gap with the leading pack; work hard on the uphills and try and recover as much as possible on the downhills. Halfway through the second lap, I looked back and there was no-one within touching distance. My daughter (who'd run a very solid junior XC race on this circuit earlier) and Mrs Clown were between fields, giving me a shout out two or three times every lap and there were a bunch of Club members, so there was no chance of slacking off. Work, work, work. :rolleyes: Half way through the second lap, I was in my groove and realized all those tempo sessions had really done some good as I was pushing hard and not fading.

Lap 3: No change in positions. The lead runner had opened a gap, and I could see Timmay and the 10k runner battling up the finishing straight. On the flat, despite having nothing to fight for, I picked up the pace, with club encouragement ringing in my ears. I crossed the finish line around 15 seconds behind the 10k runner and well clear of any runners behind me. To my surprise, one of the marshals reached to hand me the bronze medal. I tried to turn it down, but as it turned out, the runner who crossed the finish line first was a guest, so was not competing for Wicklow places. So Timmay took gold, 10k runner took silver and I ended up with the bronze. Beepbeep ran a stormer for someone who's working back to full fitness, just a couple of places behind me, and wrstan just behind him. It's a shame we didn't have a fourth runner, as the three of us acquitted ourselves well, finishing well up the positions table.

Splits:
    Mile 1: 5:26
    Mile 2: 5:37
    Mile 3: 5:37
    Mile 4 (partial): 5:23

Summary: 3.83 miles in 21:08, @5:31/mile (must revisit my 5k PB real soon).

Post-race warm-down: 17.5 easy miles
    I had decided to make up the missing miles for today's 22 mile run immediately afterwards, so ran form the race location in Roundwood back to the house. Amazing views of Powerscourt and the Sugar Loaf along the way. After 30 minutes, I was wrecked, completely devoid of any energy, But that was pretty much what I had expected (and part of the reason I did the run) so I took a break for a minute, grabbed a gel and got going again. Second half of the run was largely down-hill, which made the rest of the run a lot easier. I called it a day after 17 miles (23.5 miles for the day) and stepped on the weighing scales 9 pounds lighter than the previous night. Ouch!

Summary: 17.25 miles in 2:12, @7:38/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I thought I did a good session yesterday. Until I read your log entry that is.

A great day's work Gary (you b*st*rd :)).

I thought I did a good session yesterday. Until I read your log entry that is.

A great day's work Gary (you b*st*rd :)).
    Cheers tbb. It was a good day of running, but not sure I'd count it as a very good session. A solid fast part, followed by a slow trudging 17 miles! I feel uncomfortable about doing any run where you slow down at the end, rather than speed-up!

Incidentally, I realized I've been reading the JD plans all wrong. JD is (of course) a 'merkin, and all 'merkin's start their week on a Sunday, so the way the plans are laid out, I should have been doing the Q1 session first and the Q2 session a few days later, whereas I have in fact been doing them the other way around. Doesn't sound like a big deal, however it means I'm a week behind, and won't get all of the sessions done. I presume a smart man like yourself would have done them in the right order?! Bit of a dilemma now about what session to do this weekend.

Bit of a dilemma now about what session to do this weekend.

8k XC in Avondale, followed by a 25 mile run home :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Bit of a dilemma now about what session to do this weekend.

yeah I made the same mistake but caught it about half way through and skipped a week. Now im paranoid and write the dates of the sunday session on the book in pencil :)

IIRC its the 19 with 15 @ PMP that youve missed? I also remember the plan getting a bit silly around this time - easy 14 miler at the weekend and a brutal 18 miler midweek, or something like that?

Maybe swapping this week's brutal midweek 18 with 2 x 3 miles tempo for the 19 with 15 @ PMP would be an idea?

Might be dodgy to do that many PMP miles next weekend just two weeks out, but with an extra half week's recovery and easy running in between etc.....Then you could just do the last two weeks of the plan. If it were me, thats the run id want to have done anyway. Good luck!

• Advertisement

8k XC in Avondale, followed by a 25 mile run home :eek: :rolleyes:
    Yeah, a bit of a trek home from that one! May have to give this one a miss unfortunately, in favour of a marathon-specific session.
    IIRC its the 19 with 15 @ PMP that youve missed? I also remember the plan getting a bit silly around this time - easy 14 miler at the weekend and a brutal 18 miler midweek, or something like that?
    Yep, that's the one. However, I ran 19 miles with 16@PMP last weekend, so I reckon this kind of cancels it out. Having said that, I was eyeing up the Tarmonbarry Half marathon this weekend, for another potential PMP session (albeit with slightly less miles), which wouldn't be too bad two weeks out from the race. Something like 18 miles with 13@MP. Either that or I'll do as you suggested, and I'll do the 2x3 mile tempo instead, which will take the pressure off having to do it mid-week.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Savage running again Mr. Clown, it's tough getting caught between groups like that, and as for the gentle 17 mile warm down!!! :eek:
    with some of the lads freshly off the plane from their Berlin marathon experiences. Fair play to the three lads, coming out to support an XC race on a dewy Sunday morning.

A big +1 for the 3 Berliners, it was great to see them there all with freshly bagged PB's, fair doos for making the effort and providing some well appreciated support. Amusing to see one on his bike, one pushing a buggy, and one behind the wheel of a 4X4! Not sure what that tells me, but it made me smile for some reason. :)

Today: 1 hour easy - A little stiff from yesterday's endeavours, but the body and legs were loosening up as the run progressed. Trying to tick off some of the roads I haven't run around Clondalkin previously, before the big move, but I reckon I've pretty much hit them all at least once at this stage. Clondalkin holds no more mysteries.

Summary: 8 miles in 61 mins, @7:39/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Well done yesterday KC - all very positive coming up to DCM that you can achieve your goals;) Jasus I'm a bit tender today myself after the bike - run - bike, maybe I'll stick to the running:eek:

Pronator wrote: »
    Well done yesterday KC - all very positive coming up to DCM that you can achieve your goals;) Jasus I'm a bit tender today myself after the bike - run - bike, maybe I'll stick to the running:eek:
    Uh oh.. You know what's next... It starts with a Duathlon, then you'll be be going for a dip with Abhainn and Kurt Godel. One morning you'll wake up head to toe in rubber and latex and the transformation will be complete. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Uh oh.. You know what's next... It starts with a Duathlon, then you'll be be going for a dip with Abhainn and Kurt Godel. One morning you'll wake up head to toe in rubber and latex and the transformation will be complete. :)

That will never happen - I'm a very poor swimmer:rolleyes:The wife would also divorce me if I told her I was off for a 6 hour cycle:eek: I'll stick to being a part time runner:D

Today: 1 hour easy run
    Once again, I meant to go out for an easy 6 miles, but once you pop, you can't stop. Followed up this evening with P&D core and weights.
    Summary: 8 miles in 58:27, @7:16/mile

Today: JD Plan A - 2 x (20 minute Easy + 5K @Tempo)

Started with a 20 minute easy run, and something just didn't feel right. Firstly, my easy pace was 7:30/mile, which is quite a departure from last week's session, where I had to reign in the speed to 7:00/mile. Secondly, there was sweat rolling down my face, which wouldn't typically happen at this pace. Also I felt devoid of energy, as if I hadn't eaten all day, when in fact I started the day with porridge, topped it off mid-morning with a bagel, and then ate some sugary crap that the boss brought in to motivate us, while we packed up a load of servers for the big move. In my head I was already moving the session to Thursday, with impure thoughts of anemia and iron levels (Damn you Rolex, givings us running hypochondriacs more excuses before we have even started to fail!). I was going to give the session a go though and arrived at the usual starting spot.

The plan says 15-20 minutes at tempo pace, which is a little vague for my liking. Last week I had done 3 miles @tempo, as I prefer to know how far I have left, rather than how long I have left. This time I switched to 5k, as it has a nice ring to it. Started the 5k and felt like sh1te. Half a mile later (yes I know I'm mixing my metaphors) and I didn't feel like sh1te any more. I was trotting along happily and comfortably. I cruised through the rest of the tempo miles and felt grand, despite a bit of a uphill and headwind combo at the end.

Another 20 minutes easy and I felt grand trotting around at 7:04/mile. Start the next tempo, feel like sh1te again. Half a mile later? Top of the world. The wind picked up, so the end of this 5k was a little tougher than the previous one, but I was just happy to have completed it despite my schizophrenic bipolar form. 2 Mile easy warm-down.... Felt great!

20 Minutes easy: 2.67 miles @7:30/mile
    5k tempo: 17:39, @5:41/mile
    20 Minutes easy: 2.83 miles @7:04
    5k tempo: 17:53, @5:45/mile
    2 Miles warm-down @7:00/mile

Summary: 14.31 miles in 1:33, @6:32/mile

Today: 9 mile schloppy run!

Supposed to meet Shels, but by the time Keith had finished his pre-run yoga and my Garmin had picked up enough satellites to start, we were a few minutes late to the designated starting point. Kept an eye out for him, but it's a big park (on this wet soggy day- a big empty park) and squelched around the fields and pitches for 9 easy miles. Keith dropped off after 5 miles, so I picked up the pace to easy, for the remaining three miles.

Summary: 9 miles in 70 mins, @7:48/mile

Today: 7.87 easy miles

Cracking day and a lovely start to the weekend. Threw a virtual pin on the virtual google map and it landed in the swanky sounding 'Lake Drive' in CityWest. How very Silicon Valley! Well, I had never visited, so no time like the present. Unfortunaely, the route that google in it's infinite wisdom had suggested, didn't exist any longer, fenced off and out of bounds, but the theme of this run was adventure and exploration, so off I plodded in search of the elusive lake. Found it eventually and it was a cute little spot, though I'm not sure it warranted its Silicon Valley pretenses, having more in common with an average sized duck pond. And of the signs warning drivers of crossing ducks and swans? but a sham. Not a feathered beastie in sight. The run was supposed to be 6 miles, but along with diversions, it was just under 8 miles. Normally, I'd run the extra .13 miles to round up the run, but on this occasion the magnetic draw of the bathroom was stronger than the near-involuntary compulsion obsession to keep going until I ticked off the next mile. Two hours later, there's an itch I can't scratch at the back of my brain.

Summary: 7.87 miles, in 56:22, @7:09/mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Uh oh.. You know what's next... It starts with a Duathlon, then you'll be be going for a dip with Abhainn and Kurt Godel.
    Pronator wrote: »
    That will never happen - I'm a very poor swimmer:rolleyes:

Hasn't stopped Abhainn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Two hours later, there's an itch I can't scratch at the back of my brain.

Let it go Krusty, just let it go.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Let it go Krusty, just let it go.

There'll be an easy 5.13 mile post coming pretty soon :rolleyes:

There'll be an easy 5.13 mile post coming pretty soon :rolleyes:
    Hah! Delighted to prove you entirely wrong. After a few beers last night, it wasn't easy at all!
    Summary: 5.29 uneasy miles in 41 mins, @7:46/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hah! Delighted to prove you entirely wrong. After a few beers last night, it wasn't easy at all!
    Summary: 5.29 uneasy miles in 41 mins, @7:46/mile

Thought you went on the wagon coming up to goal races?

-Concerned of South Wicklow

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Thought you went on the wagon coming up to goal races?

-Concerned of South Wicklow
    I decided to make an exception for Fridays.... and Sundays... But all of those other days? Clean as a whistle. :o

- Rule bender of South County Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I decided to make an exception for Fridays.... and Sundays... But all of those other days? Clean as a whistle. :o

- Rule bender of South County Dublin
    "To Arthur"

Diageo
    St James' Gate
    Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Krustys Beer Taper:

Reduce the quantity but not the quality.

Probably cut down on the pints for the next 2 weeks but switch to a nice stronger Belgian beer.

Today: Sessionus Interruptus - Tergat 5-4-3-2-1 @MP (kind of)

Unfortunately I had to make the decision to give the Wicklow intermediate XC a miss, in favour of a marathon-specific session, which was a shame as I really enjoyed the Avondale course last year. Hopefully I'll be back in a few weeks for the senior race. Jack Daniels had a rather unappealing session, with tempo miles followed by a long easy run, which is pretty much what I did last weekend. I also wanted to get some PMP miles done, but it was too close to the race to do 15 miles in one segment, so I figured I'd give one of Tergat's sessions a go. 5 miles, then 4, 3, 2, and 1 with two minutes rest between segment sounded intriguing and less demanding then a straight 15 miles.

First segment: 5 miles in 30:27, @6:06. Went well. Started running into a head-wind, up a drag and hill, which was tough for the first three miles, but as soon as I got to the top of the climb and had the wind behind me, it felt more like easy pace. Second segment: 4 miles in 24:26, @6:07/mile. Again went fine. Started downhill and then hit the tough N11 windy drag, which again was tough.

Third segment: Gah! Started easy as pi$$, then the stomach cramps hit me. Had to pull up, then jog, then stop. Ran to Tesco, and the customer loos were locked. Ran to the nearby GAA/Rugby clubhouse; couldn't find a loo. Then did what yogi bear would do and headed for the trees. Lost around 10-15 minutes, during which the legs and body had cooled down. Toyed with the idea of calling it a day, but with just two weeks to the marathon, I didn't want an unfinished session in my recent history. Started running again, and managed to get the average pace down to 6:17, before I ran out of distance.

Fourth segment: 2 miles in 12:11 @6:06. Legs still feeling the after-effects of cooling down, and body wasn't great, but the miles felt handy. Final segment: 1 mile in 6:05. Easy enough, finally turning around and running down the N11, with the wind behind me.

Including the two mile warm-up and 1.8 mile warm-down, I covered just over 19 miles, with 15 of them at or close to pmp. It's a decent session, and one I'd like to include in future marathon programs (albeit without the interruptions), particularly during the ramp-up, as you really get a good feel for what marathon pace feels like, without the stress of a straight run.

Summary: 19.4 miles in 2:08, @6:29/mile + breaks.

• Advertisement

Today: 10k easy

Yesterday's route was decent for a Dublin marathon simulation, however the surface of the route is not kind on the legs at marathon pace. Half of it is concrete and much of it is undulating driveways and kerbs, so my legs were in a bit of a heap last night, my glutes were sore, and for the first time in quite a while, I had some knee pain. So the plan today was just to enjoy my last run around Clondalkin, before moving to new pastures.

Keith and I set off at an easy pace, and he informed me that he had left his watch behind, so when he asked me what our pace was at the end of the first mile.... I lied. And then I lied at the end of the second mile. And the third. And the fourth, fifth and finally sixth. I was having fun seeing how fast I could coax him, while he thought he was doing 8 minute/miles. By the end, he was hanging on a little, but I got him around the 10k in 46 minutes and change. A nice final visit around my erstwhile adopted home. I hope my new home is as good for my running.

Summary: 10k easy in 46:17 at around 7:26/mile.

Advertisement