Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Photography Year Book 2008 - order now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Got my book yesterday, Very well wrapped, so much so I had to hack the packaging with a knife, but worth it !!
    The whole experience has been inspirational :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The whole experience has been inspirational :)

I agree.
    I'm definitely going to contribute to the photography forum in future- and hopefully if my efforts are good enough, who knows, I might make the '09 book.

Well done guys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

smccarrick wrote: »
    I agree.
    I'm definitely going to contribute to the photography forum in future- and hopefully if my efforts are good enough, who knows, I might make the '09 book.
    QUOTE]

It will be good to have you involved.

Just to clear up one thing .... the only judge of quality for the images in this years book was that of the individual. I think it says something for the standards that people set for themselves that we came up with such a good crop of images without any selection process. Involvement was open to all here & as such the book does represent a good cross section of the skills in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

CabanSail wrote: »
    Just to clear up one thing .... the only judge of quality for the images in this years book was that of the individual. I think it says something for the standards that people set for themselves that we came up with such a good crop of images without any selection process. Involvement was open to all here & as such the book does represent a good cross section of the skills in this forum.

As it should be.

The onus should be on the photographer to come up with their favourite. As soon as you start talking about a vetting process things get very sticky. Opinions differ on quality.

The quality of this book stands as testament that those who contributed came up with quality goods. The book is only a showcase for the photographers' work (not belittling the efforts of the compilers/organisers btw).

Roll on the '09 book. My advice to everybody next year is: Every time you're about to press the shutter release, think "Yearbook" and get a great shot. Then, hopefully, every shot will turn out great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

My advice to everybody next year is: Every time you're about to press the shutter release, think "Yearbook" and get a great shot. Then, hopefully, every shot will turn out great.

LOL ... I know what you mean.

However, unless you are shooting for a specific brief, my advice would be to shoot to get an image that YOU are pleased with. If it then goes on to please others, win competitions, make money etc. Then so be it, that is an added bonus. I think the Yearbook 08 has that essence to it. The images that people submitted were those that THEY were pleased with. It just happens that a lot of others agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

It's quite ironic that my photo in the book (the swan), I didn't have time to think anything it happened so fast. Certainly wouldn't have been thinking of a book. The only thing I recall thinking was "is the frame rate fast enough? - click faster!!!".

Turned out to be one of my favourite of the year - and favourite of lots of my friends. Has pride of place framed above the fireplace in the sitting room :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

All bar six books, have now shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Ideo wrote: »
    The Examiner press clipping. I'll post as a jpg later. I'll post up all 3 press clippings as jpegs and perhaps we can put them on the photobook website?

Herald AM press clipping

Just to follow up on this, if anybody who's photo is in the newspapers but doesn't have a copy of the newspaper wants a copy get in touch with me via pm. I have a copy of the examiner and the herald am, will happily stick it in the post for any of you. baby hands gets first dibs though, just cos....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ninaford

I have a huge passion for photography!i took a module in college and would love to get back into it!Actually what do you think of the Martin King photos?i think they are a nice addition to the normal weather you normally get...plus its a nice distraction from the nasty winter weather we are getting at the mo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Did you buy the book, or not, ninaford? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I ordered about a week ago. How long does it take?

I meant to say yhis ages ago but my health has been all over the place in the last 12 months I have been scattered.

Congratulations everyone on such a fantastic piece of work. I was asked to contribute but things were very bad with me at that time so I really couldn't get my head straight enough to sort it out. I have a book ordered and am looking forward to browsing through it. Next year I will be ready!

Especially to the people who did the hard work, Fair play and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I ordered mine on the 19th November and it arrived on the 10th December

Edit: /Quote/ I was asked to contribute but.... /end Quote/
    Pity, our book missed you !

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lady Basset

My copy arrived during the week-excellent pictures - so impressed. Well done to all involved

With 201 books sold, we have actually spent over €6,500 so far.

A figure to keep in mind if we decide to go with someone else next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

wow, 6,500! does that incl shipping?

i definitely think we could get 200/250 copies printed and sell them that way instead of buying individual copies off blurb. make a massive saving on shipping which could go to having a better book and also a slightly cheaper book!

got your mail whyulittle - thanks for that!

It's actually €6,725, which includes all the book sales, and all the individual SSF donations. It doesn't include shipping, or the DDG SSF donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My 2 arrived today, excellent stuff :)

My 2 arrived today, excellent stuff :)

Ditto. Excellent job everyone. Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

finally home from me travels to see my copy.... deadly stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

My book arrived today but I can't read it untill Christmas day.

My book arrived today but I can't read it untill Christmas day.

Maybe you can just look at the pictures in the meantime ;)

Online yes but that would spoil the fun.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Online yes but that would spoil the fun.;)

Wooooooooosh! :p

The book is amazing. The pictures are beautiful and different. Great work. It was a lovely Christmas present full of inspirations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

whyulittle wrote: »
    With 201 books sold, we have actually spent over €6,500 so far.

A figure to keep in mind if we decide to go with someone else next year.
    more importantly at a fiver each we actually break the €1000 barrier for money for ssf. good work for us.
    Ideo wrote: »
    wow, 6,500! does that incl shipping?

i definitely think we could get 200/250 copies printed and sell them that way instead of buying individual copies off blurb. make a massive saving on shipping which could go to having a better book and also a slightly cheaper book!

We kinda did that with the delivery groups. one way to go with this is to try to get more people to submit pictures with the understanding that if you want your picture to appear you have to buy at least 1 book. every extra person that we can get to submit an image is an extra book sold.

sheesh wrote: »
    One way to go with this is to try to get more people to submit pictures with the understanding that if you want your picture to appear you have to buy at least 1 book. every extra person that we can get to submit an image is an extra book sold.

This project actually started in that manner. The original idea was just to get a book published & a condition of submitting a photo was that a book was purchased.

I have recently contacted a publisher to ask if they would be interested in doing the 2009 Yearbook. At first it was not promising but when the preview was seen there was more interest. The only problem is that a commercially viable print run would be 3000 copies. That sounds like a lot of books but if we were to get the project ready in the frist half of 2009 & have it distributed via book stores it may be possible. The other thing mentioned was that it would be more saleable if all the images were taken in Ireland. So there is some food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I got my two copies well before Christmas and completely forgot to thanks everyone involved. It is a fantastic book with some beautiful pictures. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The year 2008 is over. What about moving this thread to Photographic Expeditions?

• Advertisement

ThOnda wrote: »
    The year 2008 is over. What about moving this thread to Photographic Expeditions?

Yep, time to un-sticky this. Looks like it has sold as many as it is going to, with 204 sold now.

Advertisement