Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Photography Year Book 2008 - order now!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Mr Dave C

Got mine today well happy,full of great shots well worth the money plus all for a good cause. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Received my BOARDS.IE Photography book today . Delighted to see that a part of Greystones featured in it with a photo from KATEOS. Well done to all involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mine arrived today! Some lovely pics in there. Well done to all. :)

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Got mine today too; I'm very impressed and well done again to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Mine arrived today, had a quick peek as I'm giving it as a Christmas present to my girlfriend so didn't want to crease it :)
    A very well done to all involved there are some lovely images in it but the three that made me pause and look again were:
    Silence,
    Lost,
    Lucy.

Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I got mine this morning... Chuffed. Very impressed with the work and I'm glad most of ye went further than I did for mine (back garden).

Well done all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Reminder to all those in the DDG - please check out the thread at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055424888 and confirm if you're coming, even if you're only popping in for a few minutes.

If you definitely can't make it, contact Ideo with alternative collection ideas - or better yet, ask someone you know to pick it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

This is pretty impressive, 175 books, thats €875 raised so far and the book lauch is tomorrow. I hope that we sell 300+ and it would be cool is we raised as much as 2k plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

This is pretty impressive, 175 books, thats €875 raised so far and the book lauch is tomorrow. I hope that we sell 300+ and it would be cool is we raised as much as 2k plus

We must be getting close to the 200 mark by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Slowing down, 178 sold - though when you consider there are only 98 photos in the book.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I'll be getting another one or two at least anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Got my book yesterday, at last! I have to say that i think it's really good. Ive already looked through it a couple of times.

I love that there is such a mixture of styles in there, macro, landscape, seascape, portrait, wildlife, nature, B+W ... a bit of everything all mixed into the book.

There are a few things though which i thought id say:
    - i think it would really add to the book (or for next years book) if people could choose different page layouts for themselves. Whether its having 1 portrait or landscape pic on their page, or having 2 pics on the one page (like the image in the book "Split" which i really like). Blurb offer a number of different page layouts which i think could add something extra to the book. Rather than offereing people the chance to send in one image, you could offer people a page in the book.

- another thing is that i think there should be a minimum pixel/MB size that needs to be met. There were a couple of images in the book that i dont think were a big enough size to look at their best in the book.

- lastly, and its just a small thing, the right hand side image of each page needs to have the writing justified to the right. It looks a bit off to me the way it is justified in the book.

All that said i think the book is excellent and there is a real diversity of images i there. A really good read!

sineadw wrote: »
    I'll be getting another one or two at least anyway..

I'm planning to get another couple - see if I can leave them in reception at work (1 at the office and 1 where I'm working currently). Just realised I know a few dentists & doctors, could get some for their receptions too :rolleyes:

kgiller wrote: »
    - lastly, and its just a small thing, the right hand side image of each page needs to have the writing justified to the right. It looks a bit off to me the way it is justified in the book.

Just on this point, I had it set up that way for a good while, as I like things to be symmetrical, but it just didn't look right. In this part of the world, your brain is wired to read things from left to right.

whyulittle wrote: »
    In this part of the world, your brain is wired to read things from left to right.

Err, mine's not - I think my wires got crossed at birth :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Another one on order for me, I knew the the photo of their grandaughter would tug at my folks heart (and purse) strings enough to make them buy one!

Hope to flog another couple at camera club next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭BKtje

This arrived today and I absolutely love it. Thank you to everyone who submitted and worked on this.

Going to order another as a christmas present for my parents. I'm sure they'll love it as much as i did!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ous arrived by UPS this evening- well done to all concerned. The wife is vowing that she is going to take up digital photography and hopes to be of a sufficient standard for next year. Well done to all- its a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Book arrived today. Excellent schtuff. Got to get another one as I wanna give it as a pressie.

I'm planning to get another couple - see if I can leave them in reception at work (1 at the office and 1 where I'm working currently). Just realised I know a few dentists & doctors, could get some for their receptions too :rolleyes:

I've left one in a hotel, with a postit sticking up from the back saying "Available to purchase online, in aid of charity". Then I included a print out of one of the posters with the details on it. Apparently it's gathered quite a bit of attention (though obviously no idea if anyone's bought it). Sadly one man apparently examined it in minute detail, all through breakfast, but it turns out he was just interested in the print quality, not the photos - he's a publisher :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'll send an email around the university here to pimp it some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

We've sold 179 books in total so far! I think that's fvcking brilliant!

The book eventually arrived today and it looks fantastic.The finished effort has exceeded all expectations,as AnCatDubh says every photo stands out on its own.Well worth the long...long...wait :)

Just a notion to mull over (for the next 11 months). How about getting people to vote for their favourite pic out of this book, and put that on the front or back cover of next years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

I saw a friend's copy and was well impressed.

I was looking to get one for my girlfriend's parents for Christmas but I have a feeling it wont arrive in time.What was the shortest and longest delivery dates from placing of order for everyone please ? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Thoie wrote: »
    Just a notion to mull over (for the next 11 months). How about getting people to vote for their favourite pic out of this book, and put that on the front or back cover of next years?

I think the cover should stay consistent. Just change the Year.

It is also nice that the book is not subject to any voting or selection, other than by the individual photographers. This means that it's a collection of images that the authors like, not anyone else. My view is we keep it that way. There is a time & place for voting & selections, but not always.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I would tentatively agree.... while I'm mad competitive about everything I think this should be left as a personal decision etc.

I do like the idea of a "best of 2008" vote or competition and we could do that separately (maybe on the boards group on flickr?), we could submit pictures (or not) and know that they are going to get judged against the best of the rest. The book should remain something for all photographers here regardless of level.

By the way, when we started this book thing my "woooah!" threshold was about 50-60 sales and a book of maybe 40 pics? So, I think its pretty safe to say we are well past "woaaah!"

Congrats all, it looks like we'll probably break 200 or so, which is 1000 for the SSF. With that 1K I can fit out an entire ward with Nintendo DS's which will all link to each other with the same games so that a ward of kids who are immobile can interact with each other and play games with each other. Or I can restock the libraries of every kids hospital in Dublin. Or or or.... you'd be surprised how far a thousand euros can go...

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

somano wrote: »
    What was the shortest and longest delivery dates from placing of order for everyone please ? Thanks
    Here is their claimed last days for shipping to various places which claims 12th December for getting to Europe:
    Holiday shipping dates

182 sold, 18 to go to break the €1,000 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

I have a feeling that after the very successful launch last night, 18 more books is easily achievable.

Advertisement