Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BAC Aware 10k Challenge!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ND 1978 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, are there any plans in place regarding meeting up tomorrow morning?

I'll have a camera round my neck and be wearing a reflective top over my motorbike jacket, so for tomorrow you can use me as the landmark to locate the other guys before the start.

Also look out for some of these guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Finally finished tagging, 282 pics in all, hope I got you.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/sets/72157610734698993/
    or
    http://www.racepix365.com/works.aspx

and cheers for the help robinph

Thanks guys.

Are we all just registering individually in advance of the race?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Hi everyone,
    first time poster here. Just took up the old jogging recently and did the 10K today, my first one. It was a bit weird running with the herd but made it around in about 50:57 according to my watch. (Dont think my chip worked at all).

I was delighted to get around (with my chest in bits from a cold) and not to fall over on the ice and to finish strong. I'll have to do another one now!

Paul

ND 1978 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Are we all just registering individually in advance of the race?

Cheers

I have you registered as a member, you just have to pay your membership and collect your number at the correct stand, it goes by the first letter of your surname. Do not go to new members. If you don't have my number, let me know and I'll pm you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Hi All, great run today in the park well organised and even a medal at the end got around in 46.29, happy with my time finished strong and even a sprint finish, look forward to seeing you tomorrow in Marlay Park.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My pictures have finally finished uploading now, enjoy:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/spideog/sets/72157610802050362/
    ...and of course searchable via:
    www.raceppix365.com

I was a bit selective in which ones I put online eventually. But if you see your arm in the edge of one picture but your not in the next one or something similar, then let me know if you want me to have a look for your number as I might actually have that next picture but left it out for some other reason as there are another 200'odd pictures on my drive that I didn't upload or tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

Finished in around 53:20 after a mad sprint finish with some fella beside me with the crowds egging us on. Brilliant!!! No idea who he was but we had a good laugh about it afterwards which is what its all about (in my opinion anyway). I always have a sprint finish but its normally against my watch...

A bit slippy but what can you do - its Winter in Ireland.

Probably going against the grain here with my opinions but I see a few people complaining about encountering slow runners and walkers at the start. At the end of the day its a "Fun Run" and is advertised as such. Its not advertised as a race and there is no prize money. The only prize offered is a medal and a sense of saticfaction of being out there on a freezing cold Saturday morning in the park with a few hundred deer and a few thousand people raising money for a great cause. Anyone with ideas of a serious enough time in these sort of races (fun runs) need to make sure they are up at the front with sharpened elbows....

All the best to anyone running the Marlay Park race in the morning.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

47:08 clock time but it took me id say the guts of half a minute to get across the line, so ill be thrilled if Im under 47 mins at all. That was the ultimate goal.

I took it handy on the hills, which was great especially after the last hill as I had a fair bit left in me coming onto the final straight. Overtook, id say 2 dozen people there, and left behind a woman who was hanging onto me for most of the race. Nice. :)

Ha ha, found myself here in all black looking knackered! http://www.flickr.com/photos/spideog/3087112633/sizes/l/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well the aim was to achieve my first official sub 40 and I did it. :D
    The results link isn't working for me at the moment so I only have my garmin moving time of 38:54. Absolutely delighted. PB by more than a minute which almost certainly won't happen again. It shows the value of a dedicated training schedule, even if I only managed to do weeks 6 to 10 of Hal Higdon advanced. Shows the value of a training partner too, who did much of the training with me and too finished with a PB about 25s ahead of me. Tough race with the slippery conditions, but otherwise the conditions were perfect and the park looked wonderful in the winter fog. Well done to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Probably going against the grain here with my opinions but I see a few people complaining about encountering slow runners and walkers at the start. At the end of the day its a "Fun Run" and is advertised as such. Its not advertised as a race and there is no prize money. The only prize offered is a medal and a sense of saticfaction of being out there on a freezing cold Saturday morning in the park with a few hundred deer and a few thousand people raising money for a great cause. Anyone with ideas of a serious enough time in these sort of races (fun runs) need to make sure they are up at the front with sharpened elbows....
    One reason for walkers and slow runners to move back - courtesy.
    Courtesy is the reason I don't push myself to the very front. I'm not a contender for top of the pack so I place myself accordingly - others are not so thoughtful.

When there is prize money and "proper races" you get the same situation.

The vast majority of us will never get prizes at any race so we are generally racing the clock. The walkers and slow runners mess with that.
    My first km took a good bit longer than I would have liked. As soon as I got onto Chesterfield Ave I passed a load of people.

Woddle wrote: »
    Finally finished tagging, 282 pics in all, hope I got you.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/sets/72157610734698993/
    or
    http://www.racepix365.com/works.aspx

and cheers for the help robinph

You got a few of me. Best of which is my race to the finish line (no. 644) here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/3087446012/?addedcomment=1#comment72157610864805862
    Cheers!

Your more than welcome and congrats on the time your flying. Hope to see you at a few IMRA races next year

I think I'll have to put away my lucky imra top. I've worn it in 3 races this year and PBed in all 3 - 10K, half marathon and full. Theres something in those hills runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

had a good time on saturday came in at 42.10. It was very icy in patches but overall enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

on the beer the night before really had to push myself to get to the park even at the start line I though sod this – got to 5k at 22mins and breathing still perfect, really did not have the motivation to push myself, very little running once or twice a week for the last couple of months so 46mins wasn’t great, should do at least a 7mi mile pace or faster over shorter distance. First 10k so it’s a PB all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Well done everyone some great times. Anyone notice that the guy who won the race also went on to win the Data solutions 5k the next day. Nice weekend of running for him.

Yep, thought he looked familiar alright when he went flying past again on Sunday.

Any ideas when the official results will be up on the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Is a new challenge needed now? How about the 5k in Phoenix Park on new years day? The first part of the challenge is to be in some form of state come 1 o'clock on the 1st January...

Just looking at the site there - they're going to have to look at a calendar soon. A few weeks back it said it was on a Tuesday, now a Sunday - the 1st is a Thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Any ideas when the official results will be up on the net?

found this in the athletics forum

http://www.tds-live.com/wtrpg/race.jsp?id=2348

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Had a **** run, even by my standards.
    Nearly fell a half dozen times, adidas supernovas are brutal for grip, that said I do have a few hundred miles in them at this stage.
    Pity they don't make trail shoes for over pronators.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is a new challenge needed now? How about the 5k in Phoenix Park on new years day? The first part of the challenge is to be in some form of state come 1 o'clock on the 1st January...

Just looking at the site there - they're going to have to look at a calendar soon. A few weeks back it said it was on a Tuesday, now a Sunday - the 1st is a Thursday!

That's on my list. I don't drink so I should be in a good state, will probably be my highest ranking ever as everyone else will be hungover. :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm actually slightly tempted to do this, I won't be drinking too much this Christmas because I'm getting back to work on my final year project straight after New Year so I shouldn't have too much of a problem being up for it. It'd be really nice to start 2009 by going sub-30 for 5k :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm actually slightly tempted to do this, I won't be drinking too much this Christmas because I'm getting back to work on my final year project straight after New Year so I shouldn't have too much of a problem being up for it. It'd be really nice to start 2009 by going sub-30 for 5k :D

OI!!! Don't ruin my day. Drink loads and enjoy your last night of drinkies on NYE and let me have my fun on New Years Day. :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mp1972 wrote: »
    OI!!! Don't ruin my day. Drink loads and enjoy your last night of drinkies on NYE and let me have my fun on New Years Day. :D

Honey, you have NO worries. I'm really slow.

Official times now uploaded to website. 46:08 chip time :) Rudy delighted.

http://www.aware.ie/images/uploadedImages/Christmas%20Run%20Results%202008.xls

Advertisement