Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BAC Aware 10k Challenge!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone know if theres anywhere in the general vicinity of the papal cross where I can lock up my bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

A tree. There will be plenty of barriers as well.

gerard65 wrote: »
    A tree. There will be plenty of barriers as well.

I couldn't do that to a tree. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Looks like there are expecting quite a number. Maybe with the recession people have taken up running instead of shopping!

Email from aware.

Thank you for registering to take part in the Aware Christmas Fun Run on Saturday December 6th

The number of participants taking part in this year’s run is over 1800, I would like to advise you that parking in the Papal Cross Car Park is limited and the later you arrive the further away you may have to park, please ensure to allow enough time to park, collect your race number and walk to the start line. Your race number will be available for collection at the Papal Cross Car Park from 7.15am – 9.30am, due to the large number of participants, please arrive early to pick up your race number as the run will start at 10.00am sharp.

We look forward to seeing you on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck to all taking part tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Hasn't been raining much though hawkwing.
    Reckon it'll be fine, the Kyber pass will be a bit slippy because of the surface but we'll be running uphill then so it'll be easier to control.
    Just back from collecting number,the park is like a rink,fingers crossed there won't be carnage.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck to all, hope the ice disappears sooner rather than later. I'll be there and if you see a guy with a red racing bike and a camear, well that's me.

52.10 not very pleased with that. I was aiming for a sub 45 and have done sub 45 in the past:(

And sorry woddle but I hate photos of myself at the best of times never mind at the end of a 13 hour shift, 4.5 hour sleep, falling off my bike on the way to the park and then racing(and nearly falling on my ar*e 20 times) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

A beautiful morning and a really nice run (hangover and all). But there were some comedy moments when I was running on the spot cartoon stylee.

Clocked 41' dead but might chip a shade under (Garmin says 40'48'') so all things considered very happy.

The only thing was I didn't see any boardies ? Spent a good 20 mins wandering around like a doofus at a party giving groups my puppy dog eyes. Either I'm blind or we might want to organise the post meet ups a bit better ?

Anyhoo, on to the next one :pac:

Almost forgot, big thanks to Amadeus for the training log. Stuck to it more or less and did better than I hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Knew at the start line that the sub 50 dream was over,i could not even walk on the road to the start let alone run.must have done 9.5 of the 10k on grass and i have never done a cross country race--it was ok but i went to my ankle in muck once.One time when there was no grass verge about 4k in i went to the road and then had to completley stop for fear of falling. Battled on through the leaves and grass to a 51:55, splits of 2643/2512 (every race except this yrs marathon i've been negative)--a bit of joy flying up the kyber passing lot but near the top i almost fell again.Medal was a surprise and race well organised,damn pity about the ice though cos i felt good for a sub 50 but not brave enough to risk injury.:mad:

• Advertisement

The only thing was I didn't see any boardies ? Spent a good 20 mins wandering around like a doofus at a party giving groups my puppy dog eyes. Either I'm blind or we might want to organise the post meet ups a bit better ?

Shoulda told them what you'd be wearing. Soon as I crossed the finish line I heard 'Leeds' turned around, saw some bloke with a camera and thought "bollo*ks, don't come near me with your camera"

Think I had my arms spread out for half of it trying to keep my balance. Dunno if I'll be able to run the jingle bells next week, but I'll come out anyway to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

49.17 (25.20, 23.57) by the watch which I am absolutely over the moon with, really was not sure I was capable of getting near 50 minutes and for the first couple of k my legs felt heavy and cold but once they warmed up I got into a rhythm and it went well. Knew the sub 50 was on when I passed the halfway point and still felt good.

The roads were a bit of a joke...nearly went on my arse a few times and the downhill section just before the Khyber pass was absolutely treacherous, ran a lot of the race on grass (and I am glad I did not need water as the water station was a joke:D).

Khyber was an absolute killer but a girl started racing me up it and it really helped actually. I think we really spurned each other on.

Medal is very nice (much better than I was expecting) and I am now feeling very positive.....role on Jingle Bells 5k next Sunday;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was stood just past the 6k point aiming my camera at everyone for a bit. My finger got tired and cold though and I decided to walk to the finish line instead after a while. :o
    Then I ran into Woddle who was also taking pictures at the finish and Gerard65, then we spotted a Leeds jersey in the finishing crowd and sent Woddle off to investigate.

Got over 500 pictures this morning though before I gave up, so should have shots of a good few people once I've gone and uploaded them, it will take a while though.

robinph wrote: »
    Then I ran into Woddle who was also taking pictures at the finish and Gerard65, then we spotted a Leeds jersey in the finishing crowd and sent Woddle off to investigate.

Ha...I noticed there were 3 of you, walked by again after picking up my bag to say hello but you were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Am happy to have gone under 40 mins for the first time - did 39 4something. I'm sure there's further room for improvement on a flatter course. Well done all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Just back from the Park. Did it in 44.12 which i'm thrilled with. :D Was aiming for 45. Splits were 22.12/22.00.

Some of the sections were very tricky (passing the Papal Cross and all downhills) but decided to follow the path a car would take on the roads and was lucky that in the main, i had no major slips. Ran into the back of two people having a chat walking 300 yards after the start. :eek: Why do the organisers always let this happen? That was my biggest scare.

Hope everyone got back in one piece. The medal was a nice touch and thanks to all the people who were there in the freezing cold to set up the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

The only thing was I didn't see any boardies ?
    Me neither, so a bit disappointing not to have met anybody. Ah, will be easier once we have the singlets/t-shirts.

Finished in 49:05 on my garmin and with sore hip (left over from 26km on wed, but i don't think it impacted my time in any way, just discomfort during the run), so very pleased with that as i thought it will take me 52min/53min..

Wonder if i did not run with babybing for a while (lady in black top/leggings with a bit of pink?) and gained a bit of time going up Khyber, hence just 12sec difference.

I had number 215 if anybody has photos.

I was at the 3K mark snapping away and then moved over to the finish line, I saw babybing, Mp1972, Gerard65, Orobhsa and robinph.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/sets/72157610734698993/
    A few pics while I figure out a few tagging issues.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

1.06.15 by my watch. I'm very happy to finish, but a little disappointed with the time. I went on my arse at the "drink station" too after slipping on the ice and that really knocked the wind out of my sails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Woddle wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/sets/72157610734698993/
    A few pics while I figure out a few tagging issues.

You got me in 2 of your pics!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The pictures I took are slowly starting to appear online now:
    http://flickr.com/photos/spideog/sets/72157610802050362/
    Or you'll be able to search through mine, Woddles and anyone elses pictures who happened to be out with a camera this morning using your race numbers if you go to Stupid_Privates site here:
    http://racepix365.com/

911sc wrote: »

Wonder if i did not run with babybing for a while (lady in black top/leggings with a bit of pink?) and gained a bit of time going up Khyber, hence just 12sec difference.

Think I may have been a bit behind you 911 (Black Dub marathon finisher top and grey shorts with bits of red).

The gilr I was running alongside had a pink top I think...Id like to thank her because I dont think I would've finished as fast if it was'nt for her:D

The pictures I took are slowly starting to appear online now:
    http://flickr.com/photos/spideog/sets/72157610802050362/
    Or you'll be able to search through mine, Woddles and anyone elses pictures who happened to be out with a camera this morning using your race numbers if you go to Stupid_Privates site here:
    http://racepix365.com/

Noooooooooooo you got me. :(

Woddle wrote: »
    I was at the 3K mark snapping away and then moved over to the finish line, I saw babybing, Mp1972, Gerard65, Orobhsa and robinph.

Should've shouted Woddle.....was it at the 3k mark or the finish line, because I imagine the difference was markable;)

mp1972 wrote: »
    Noooooooooooo you got me. :(

You are well hidden though and I hadn't even noticed you when I was going through tagging those pictures. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Got over 500 pictures this morning though before I gave up, so should have shots of a good few people once I've gone and uploaded them, it will take a while though.

Good god man, 500 pictures!! My fingers got colder a lot quicker than that. Next week my running gloves will be coming out to the jingle bells with me to keep me warm while standing around.

Thanks again for uploading them to the racepix365 site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

41:53 watch time. Went exactly to plan. Very dodgy under foot, found my feet slipping on the uphill bits. The start was'nt great, firstly been delayed waiting for the late comers to slowly make their way to the start while the rest of us froze, then running into the back of people who really should have started further down the field-seems to be common place in these open races.
    Now for tomorrows 5k.

gerard65 wrote: »
    41:53 watch time. Went exactly to plan. Very dodgy under foot, found my feet slipping on the uphill bits. The start was'nt great, firstly been delayed waiting for the late comers to slowly make their way to the start while the rest of us froze, then running into the back of people who really should have started further down the field-seems to be common place in these open races.
    Now for tomorrows 5k.

I dont understand why they dont just throw a few markers down behind the start line with race times on them. Doesnt need to be policed obsessively but it would give people an idea of where to stand. Its a nuisance to fast and slow runners tbh. Im a slower runner and I always conscious about holding people up, suggested starting places would take a lot of the guesswork out of it (even if a lot of people would'nt adhere to it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fleeting update, as I'm off to Xmas party. Finished in 40:30 which I was very happy with. beat my target by about a minute. Had I known I was that close to 40, I might have pushed a bit harder, but at least it gives me a target for the next 10k!

I was at the finishing line taking photos, so have a couple of hundred more to add to the pool when I'm done celebrating! Congrats all. A great race despite the cold and the ice. Didn't see any boardsies either, but i'll catch you all at the next race..

Advertisement