Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BAC Aware 10k Challenge!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Damn 10am Saturday Morning :( I can't go up Friday night so I'd have to drive up from Limerick before the race.... doubt I'd be up for a hard 10k after that drive. I think I'll check out other 10ks closer to home or at another time. I'll be up the Pheonix park again for the Great Ireland Run but want to do one or 2 runs before that too. Hmmm...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Submitted my entry about 5 minutes ago, because exam timetable isn't too bad (starting on the 11th).
    Looking forward to this now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Submitted my entry about 5 minutes ago, because exam timetable isn't too bad (starting on the 11th).
    Looking forward to this now :)

Good stuff. Put you down for sub60;)

Looks like theres going to be a good crowd of Boards AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It'd be great if we could get the BAC singlets organized before that. We would have some showing! Any running graphics designers in our midst?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I ran Dublin this year after a drunken bet (Arthur G has a lot to answer for). This was my first marathon in fact my first time running in about 20 years and I think that I must have damaged my head because I have started thinking about what run I can do next.
    I was considering the Aware 10k and had a look at the training programme posted by Amadeus, however I live in the middle of nowhere and it would be totally nuts to run on the roads around here in the dark.
    Would it be practical to do the weekday training sessions on a treadmill and is the treadmill any more damaging to the poor body than road running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

cfitz wrote: »
    Just in regular training? If I had run a time in training (on a treadmill or outdoors), I'd be expecting to smash that time in a race.

In regular training for the marathon, yep, on an unplanned speed session when everything clicked. I agree that in a race you're liable to run quicker assuming the vagaries of the Irish weather don't intervene. Last year I was a couple of seconds over the 40 in the same race and I aim to be more prep'ed this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tritrier

Amadeus,

I am thinking of doing this Aware 10km run also. I however am not recovering from the marathon as I was just a spectator, holding the gels and drinks for friends.

I have done two/three 10km races in the last year and a couple of sprint triathlons this summer. In the 10km races I have never broken the hour (just over it 1.01/2) but I have a feeling I have built up some good fitness during the summer and feel I could now do it. I am a real plodder to be honest (as you can see from my times!) but I do enjoy it:D.

Could you recommend a training plan for me for the next 5 weeks to try and improve speed. I usually go to a running club once a week (hills/intervals) and do a long run at the weekend but would probably need to have one or two more sessions also. I swim a bit too so that would probably be good or cross training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hi Tritrier,

I don't know if you have seen the BAC Clubhouse thread but the one aim (our "mission statement" if you like) is to be all inclusive; I don't think we mind if people do a 10k in 30 or 90 mins!

TBH I think that you are doing most things right. A lot of people assume that if they want to get better times / run faster that they have to do intensive speed work (intervals / hills or whatever). What they miss is that huge gains can be made on time simply by improving your base fitness, in fact I would say you'll see better results at teh kinds of speed you are running at by increasing mileage per week rather than adding more speed sessions.

There are a lot of really good 10k plans out there - anything by Hal Higdon is reccomended and both Runnersworld.co.uk and Coolrunning have 10k programs aimed at people of various levels. I would suggest that you google it, find a couple of plans that look like they would fit around your life and commitments and then post the links in here and myself and the lads here will let you know what we think.

And good luck - a lot of the secret to breaking time barriers at any distance is in the mind. If you believe you can do it you will. If you believe you won't you won't.

Headed out for a run this afternoon with no set plan but with an idea to push certain kilometers sub 4 min k pace... Ended up doing 5k, then 6, 7 and 8k in avg sub 4 min pace... Took it easy on the next k, intending to warm down, but found myself speeding up on the next one to cut 40 mins for 10K by literally seconds. I was surprised that I had it in the legs to do. A lovely run too from DCU up Griffith Avenue and back down Collins Avenue finishing with a flourish in Albert College running like a madman down the 'home straight'. Probably overdoing it for a speed session for the 10K :) , but sometimes the legs feel they have it (and other days they don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Went for a 6 mile run today. It was my first longish run after the marathon and it ended up being 6.2miles, so 10k distance.

Now I was'nt doing this to gauge times or anything, it was purely just to do something after the marathon. I took it very easy, didnt think about pace or look at the watch or anything, effort felt comfortable, no speeding up at the final mile or anything. When I finished I was pleasantly surprised to see it had took me 56 minutes. I was surprised by this as I was up late last night drinking and I had a big horrible pizza (which meant my stomach was in bits).

Now Im just wondering given the time and the circumstances how possible would people feel a sub 50 minute 10K is in December (that was my dream goal but I really didnt think it was possible before today's run)? Is it too ambitious to feel I could run over 6 minutes faster on the day or do people think that would be an achievable goal?

Im pretty inexperienced when it comes to stuff like this so I dont want to set a silly unachievable goal but at the same time I want to go as fast as Im capable off (keeping in mind training wont be optimum and Ill be recovering from the marathon). So what do people reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

PB 47mins and ? seconds.

Hope to get high 46, low 47's

Ive signed up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Hi Guys, just about to register for the Aware 10K as part of BAC. It gives an option to register as an individual or team. Will we be selecting the team option for this event?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'll leave the decision on club or individual up to the likes of Woodle but I think we need to be AAI registered to go in as a club.

Well folks today is the day!! Official formal training starts!

For those of you on the >45 plan you've got it tough. Today is officially a rest day (now that is a great way to start a training program ;) ).

For those <45 the schedule is an easy 3 miler. Remember that the marathon is still in your legs so don't be a hero, this is active recovery. Run at LSR pace (or below if you want). Any tweaks or unusual pains then stop and walk, a good stretch before and after will help. Don't forget your Deep Heat and / or Arnica Gel. Remeber the point of today is to remind your body that it can run, to increase the blood flow through the muscles and to generally wake eveything back up again.

So take it easy and report your progress back here, no matter if you are on a BAC plan or your own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Amadeus is right we have to be AAI registered, which hopefully won't be to far in the future because I can't wait to register for a race as part of boards AC.

Registered today. Counting down the weeks with the training (if you call it that) concentrating on getting the speed into the normally slow legs!

Anyone out there who has done sub 40 min 10Ks who can recommend specific training routines that would be a useful building block for the Aware run. At the moment I'm sort of making it up as I go along. It might be effective but if theres good ideas out there lets hear them. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

Haven't tried it personally, but would expect the reliable Mr Higdon's advanced 10k plan would do the job.

Thanks Peckham. I'll print it off and see if I can put it into practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I re-typed his novice and intermediate marathon plans in excel.... also added a date column, so you can enter in the race date, and it will put the correct date beside each of the weeks in the plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

just signed up for the race this morning. Started back training this week after the marathon. I am still slow after it so i guess mark me down for a sub 48 on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Just signed up this morning too. Haven't managed to get any training in since the Half Marathon, but am going to get back into the running with this race.
    My PB for this distance is 63mins, but that was on a tough course in
    Edinburgh back in May. Hopefully over the next few weeks training, I can get it down nearer to the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Just registered myself too. I haven't raced this distance much but if I can do 5 miles in 31-32 mins I guess I'll do sub 40 over 10k.

That would be an impressive 1st 10K. You must have youth on your side earlyevening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

It wouldn't be my first 10k. First in 2 years maybe. I'm 32, so not that youthful. I'm trying to make up for the years of fast living in my early/mid twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Do anyone know what the route is round the Park for the 10km? Done a few 5 and 10 kms and they all have different routes. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

chinguetti wrote: »
    Do anyone know what the route is round the Park for the 10km? Done a few 5 and 10 kms and they all have different routes. Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57749613&postcount=27

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Thanks for that Orobhsa

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

For those of you who don't bother with the logs, some more info on the Aware route (cross posted):

It's a lovely scenic run. Far nicer than the BUPA 10K course, but this comes at a price, in the form of a couple of hills.
    Check out: my beautiful coloured map!
    1st Hill: is at Lower Glen Road (4kms), is about a kilometer long, but isn't too steep, and has a lovely recovery run off for the next kilometer so no real need to slow down.
    2nd Hill: is at Acres Road (6kms), by the Chapelizod entrance to the Park and is a little bit deceptive. When you round the bend at the top of the hill, you realize there's a couple more bends with further uphills. A nice flat section afterwards to recover.
    3rd Hill: As you go past the Magazine Fort at the meeting point of Military road and Kyber Road you hit the last hill. It's gentle, but tiring, as it comes at the 8km-9km point and 'feels' like it goes on for a while. When you reach the top of the hill, you'll be at the triangle just before the flat last kilometer stretch to the finish line.

The Start/Finish area is very exposed, so it will likely be very cold on race morning. I think I'll be bringing a black bag for the start and end of the race!

Other stuff:
    Elevation Profile
    Interactive Google Map
    My beautiful coloured map (again)!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

From other thread:
    6/12/08 - Aware 10k Phoenix Park (non-bhaa)
    Gerard65
    Woddle
    Sharktale
    Krusty_Clown
    911sc

I registered yesterday. Just these 5 from Board AC?
    How do we identify ourselves for a chat before/after the race?
    I'll be wearing runners and shorts:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm in. :)

PB 49:04

Advertisement